Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I currently have a Fender Deluxe 90 amp, which is way too much amp for what I use it for anymore.

I also find the sound kind of flat and makes my fat-strat sound way too bright.

What would be a good amp for home playing and make the occasional jam? I'm looking for a much warmer sound than this provides:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

cornface posted:

What kind of music do you usually play, how much are you looking to spend, and are you jamming with a full band, or just other guitars or...?

Just basic rock music, nothing exceptionally heavy like metal. Jamming would probably be other guitars, but I wouldn't want to rule out a drummer just in case. Basically, it'd be nice if it could keep up to the rare chance there is something more than guitars.

A friend suggested that a Roland Cube (30watt enough?) would fit the bill.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

nrr posted:

I just picked up a Fender Superchamp last week (and wrote mondo words about it on the last page or so) and for $300 or so, it's pretty damned hard to find anything that can compete with it. No effects loop is really the only thing I can think of that could be a problem.

It looks like I can pickup a Roland Cube 40XL for about $250 new and it seems to be able to provide more "tools" than anything my Fender Deluxe90 could dream of. Loops, decent overdrive, ability to play at volumes other than deafening.

I'm just hoping the sound quality will be that much better than my current solid-state experience.

I read your review, but I haven't heard that amp before (a friend had a cube and thought it was awesome). My plan is to go into the local shops and try a few out to find my preference. I'm not sold on one particular brand, so I'll have to test a few.

Thanks for the recommendation and I'll add it to my list of ones to ask about while shopping.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 12, 2013

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I went and tried the Roland Cube 40XL. I know it'll never sound as good as a tube amp, but gently caress if I didn't leave impressed with that little bugger.

Any reason I should consider something else for a hobby guitarist? I don't have one "set style" of playing, so the variable tones available really interest me.

Especially at a price point I can't refuse. :3:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

coolbian57 posted:

Plus it's a hassle to plug in, open up, tweak settings on the computer, and save when you finally get something you like (at least a 20 minute project, if not hours). The digital reverb, though, is pretty nice sounding and very close to the classic fender reverb, so there's that at least. Most of the amp models sound just mediocre on channel 2, and definitely not as good as the tube only channel. There are some options for hard rock and metal, but they don't even come close to a real high gain metal amp like a mesa.

The Fuse thing sounded neat at first when I was looking, but came to the same conclusion that I'd never end up using something like that given the time involved.

I ended up with a Roland Cube 40XL as it did all the modeling I could want without too much fooling around. I definitely looked at the Superchamp/Mustangs, but none of their features were worth if for me when weighing price as well.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm not sure if this should go in the amps or effects thread, but I'm looking for an amp modeler/multi-fx unit for less than $400. Any recommendations?

How loud are you going for? I love my Cube 40XL.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

nrr posted:

One of my buds has a JCM900 hi gain dual reverb head and JCM800 lead series 4x12 cab he wants me to sell for him. Any idea of what price I should be aiming to put them at? I'm up in Canada if that makes any difference

Hop on Kijiji, type the model in and see what comes up. I'm seeing prices around ~$1500 for the pair in the Toronto area.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

SomeJazzyRat posted:

That said, you can also get any member of the Roland Cube series all of which have a JC emulation as well as great quality effects; and will probably find the cheapest out of anything you ask for.

Although a fairly small amp, I'm still in love with my Roland Cube 40XL still. The Dyna-amp setting is pretty awesome for noodling about with dynamics.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I personally love the Cubes and they sound great for practice or jamming.

I picked up my 40XL new for $200 last year, so you should be able to track one down for a decent price.

I only mention the 40XL as it also has a built in looper. This is fun for practicing lead over top a chord progression of your choice. Also, 40watts will be enough to jam with another guy on guitar at a decent volume. I've jammed with a few guys, and they say the Cube is one of the best sounding solid state amps they've heard.

I loved my 40XL so much I bought the 80XL for any future full band jams/etc. it comes with an external out plug so you can hook it to a 212 or 412 cabinet.

Edit: your best option is to go into a music store and try out all the small amps and see which one sounds best to you. Then shop used for that particular model if it's something you want.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 22, 2013

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Orange has the Crush Pro series if you're worried about reliability.

because they're solid state :ssh:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

juche mane posted:

I've got an 18. Yeah, they're kind of loud. I imagine that maybe they weren't 40 years ago, but I don't care enough to have it looked at. It's a little noisy for recording and a little bulky for gigging with so it's just kind of a fun oddity thing.

I have an old Hammond organ (happens to have a 1/4" aux-in jack, so I jam on it and let the kids mess with the keys) that came with a Leslie in it. I can definitely hear it spin up and run.

Like you said, a fun little oddity to have about.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Seen a Crate Palomino 32 combo for sale for under $300. Reviews seem to praise the tone, but I'm leery of the Crate name and I've heard they run hot. Was made in USA for reference.

Anything decent to look into?

Sockington fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 1, 2013

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Really thinking about it based on some audio clips.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

USA made ones are good to go. I have a Vietnamese one and those were recalled because they do run too hot, but if you have heat problems there are a few mods that you can do to fix it (and none of them are especially challenging). I say jump on it.

E: The gain is super super dark. Great clean channel and takes pedals well.

Thanks for confirming. Going after work to give it a good hard run and see if I'll get my first tube amp. :allears:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
$250 out the door and home. So god drat loud.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

yeahhhh boieeee

Thanks for the encouragement to get it. Now to sell off my small Roland 40watt so I can just keep the V32 and the 80XL.

Got a practice the the guys on Friday night and I can't wait to drag this along.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

E: The gain is super super dark. Great clean channel and takes pedals well.

You speak the truth. Had a chance to stick a Boss OS-2 in front of it and that was awesome.

Thank you again for the recommendation.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Death by Cranes posted:

Hi guys

I have a question about tubes and I hope one of you might have some experience with them.

I have a 2 year old Bugera v22 tube amp, which unfortunately stopped working in the middle of a recording session. The amp itself has a clean channel and a gain channel. Now when I turn it on the clean channel works at ~20% efficiency while the gain channel is completely dead. A friend suggested that the tubes might be fried and probably need replacing, but I have no idea how to do this or which tubes to get (though I don't even know if this is the cause for the problem).

The tubes are (taken from the website):
2 x EL84 tubes
3 x 12AX7 tubes

If anyone has an idea of what I should do next I'd be really grateful. I really don't have the money to buy a new amp.

Sounds like bad power tubes. You could just replace the power section (the two EL84s) for under $50 and usually an hour of your time.

Do you have the owners manual? It will usually include instructions for swapping them out, which is usually pretty straightforward.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
40XL is great and the only reason I sold it was for the 80XL. The only thing I miss is the "power squeeze" mode in the 40XL, but decent studio headphones make up for it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
My 32w Palomino I never really turn past 4 or 5 out of 10 when jamming loud with the band. Plenty of volume on the clean channel.

The drat thing hisses like crazy though when overdrive is on though. Had to stick a Boss NS-2 to shut it up for now (replaced all the tubes a couple weeks ago too). The NS-2 reduced it by 75% or so, but still slightly noisy. :(

Any ideas?

Made me really think about that Jet City since that's the kind of poo poo I'll be playing for years.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I'm heading out shortly to go fetch iostream's Jet City 20watt head from my US shipping spot. Glad the wife works tonight as I think it's going to get loud at home very soon. :dance:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Well, I feel stupid. After dealing with my Jet City's spikiness in the treble for about a week, I tried cranking the bass control. What a difference it makes :downs: Dimed mids, bass at about 8, treble at 0, and ta-da it's the amp I was hoping for

I might get it modified for KT66s and maybe a new speaker at some point but I have an unhealthy amount of affection for this material object :h:

Yeah, I've already cranked it down quite a bit for the little home practice I've been using it on.

On the other hand, at least it's not like the Palomino V32 of darkness. Also, I love my Jet City 22H :parrot:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

iostream.h posted:

you can DEFINITELY come up with a configuration that'll sound like what you hear in your head and won't break the bank.

Just wanted to say thanks for the JetCity 22H. I finally feel like I've got *that* much closer to what I wanted over that Crate Palomino combo I was using. The lead guitarist has me leaving a BBE Boosta Grande full time on it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Most decent guitar cabs won't sound much different than others. Bass cabs are much much much more temperamental.

Problem is that the speakers are 95% of the cost for most cabs. You can probably find a 1960a cab with gt12s or some other 412 with v30s and save a pretty penny, you can find both of those from 250-300$ easy. the speakers new cost 100+ per speaker.

If you go the Wharehouse Guitar Speakers Veteran30s, you can get them new for $69. Just an option.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Boz0r posted:

I had a JVM410C, but sold it to get something more portable. I've bought a Jet City JCA22H and a Harley Benton 2x12 cab with V30's, and I think it sounds much better at the sound levels I play at.

I've got the 22H as well and I'm loading a 2x12 with some WharehouseGS Veteran30s as well. Same boat as you though - the sound at the volumes I need.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Handen posted:

This poo poo is not cheap. :suicide:

Ugh, that's nightmare material for a basic jam-guy for me.

I messaged Jet City to see what other output options I could do with the 22H and the reply was;

Doug @ Jet City posted:

The OT we use are very robust and can go down to about 2ohms, but would be happier at 4ohms.

Stated outs are 1x16ohm and 2x8ohm for reference

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The Jet City 22H is $399 new (got mine for $290 shipped from Iostream lightly used - and thank him constantly for introducing me to them!). You've got a crunch channel that can do all the ACDC/Zepp tones you could want... but then you flip it on the Soldano lead channel for pure heavy saturation. :allears:

It really just does crunch to full blown lead sounds. You can sneak some clean out of it, but it won't sparkle anywhere near as clean as that JC120. Might be a good match since there isn't a ton overlap ;)

20watts is on the higher end for your volume concerns, but it works alright on the quiet end of things too. I never use any other amps in the house for practice since I like the drat thing so much (poo poo practice peavey, Roland Cube 80xl are supposed to be my practice amps).

EDIT2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elcgJwIaaVI Here's a demo of it through the dirty stuff available.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 17, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
What about a used Blues Junior? Can be had around $300 or so. Cojawfee picked up a BJ II and loves it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

These Loving Eyes posted:

Although I love my Fender Mustang I as a practice amp, I'd love to get another combo with real tubes for the warm tones a modeling amp can't fully reach. I'm looking for bluesy or classic rock tones from amps within the 1 - 15 watts range. So far, I've been trying to decide between Fender Excelsior, Ramparte and Pro Junior III, Vox AC4(TV), Laney Cub 12R and Palmer FAB5. Can anyone voice in with their opinions?

One other thing - is this just for practice or would you like something with enough volume to jam with? That's why I thought the Blues Junior since it's on the high end of your wattage needs (15w) but not absurdly loud for home use. It'll give you some more clean headroom in a band setting over some lower wattage tube amps.

Just a thought if that's something you'd like to pursue later on (cause playing with yourself gets old after a while :3:)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I got an amp for $5 at a church charity thing today.

It's an old Sears (made by Garnett) solid state amp for my brother to practice on. 10watts, 2x8 speaker setup. Still works fine :3:

Whole lotta tech going on back there.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

philkop posted:

My amp is known for making meh things sound worse though.

Glad I don't play on your setup. :iamafag:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Agreed posted:

Earplugs are just a good idea, don't mess up your hearing for no reason. You can buy an amp and a guitar and some poo poo to play around with? Cool you can definitely afford earplugs. You're not "biting off more than you can chew," you're protecting your loving hearing :)

It's important, and tinnitus is a real pain in the YOU WILL NEVER SLEEP IN A SILENT ROOM AGAIN

Just turn on a fan for that sweet buffeting effect between the squeals. It's like a tinnitus-tremolo.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I think the easiest is literally just adding the dirt amp when you need it and keep the JC120 always on. When you switch from A/B there might be kind of drastic tone change. When you add the second amp on top, you are flavoring the original sound more than replacing it (since both amps will never 'sound' the same, it will almost sound like a different guitarist playing when you switch between them)

Just something to try.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Fender has their Bronco Amp which is a dedicated bass amp modeler but it's only 40 watts so I don't actually know of anyone who owns one

Roland has their line as well with the Cube bass amps
http://www.roland.com/products/en/CUBE-120XL_BASS/

EDIT: I plugged my Cube80XL guitar "head" into my new stack of speakers. Some of those modes actually sound...good. Will keep it as a solid backup to the JetCity22H.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 13, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
There are cheaper models of the bass Cube, but they usually have less features/models as you drop in price.

I just linked the high-end one to show their maximum capabilities.

\/\/\/\/\/ makes sense. I've never looked at the Roland bass stuff before but remembered they had a modeler.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 14, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

jwh posted:

Just get the most efficient speaker you can find.

Heh, I've got a like-new Eminence Wizard that he can have on the cheap. It absolutely drowned out my V30 so it's no good to me.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

umalt posted:

Fun story, I went to the a shop today to try out a Jet City JCA20HV because they had it on an awesome deal.

When I actually started playing the amp I couldn't get anything out of it outside of a weird hum if the volume was cranked.

When I looked at the back of it I saw that the guy plugged in the matching 16 ohm cabinet to one of the 8 ohm outputs. :cripes:

At least it wasn't my fault, plus it was probably a sign from god or whatever.

I've contacted JC about their ratings before.

Direct from the horses mouth, they say you can run dual 16ohm cabinets into the dual 8ohm ports on the JCA22H.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

umalt posted:

Whelp, I have no idea what happened then.

It was the tone gods telling you to go with the two channel version. ;)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I was actually reading about these the other night in my amp handbook. In the end, he reccomended the Dr.Z Air Brake (http://www.drzamps.com/products/z_air_brake.html) as probably the most robust and useful.

There are some differences in the level of attenuation, and in his opinion, none really offer the best version of power tube distortion when used at maximum settings. With that in mind, he recommended the Dr. Z (as it doesn't attenuate as much load as some other units). The higher end units add depth switches, brightness switch, headphone jack, DI silence modes, etc.

Dr. Z. Air Brake- http://www.drzamps.com/products/z_air_brake.html
Webber MASS series (which can be resistors or speaker load style) - http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm
THD Hotplate - http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_hotplate.html
Jet City Jettenuator - http://www.jetcityamplification.com/#!jettenuator/c12ve
Rivera Rock Crusher - http://www.rivera.com/products/power/rockcrusher.php

I'm sure there's lots more, but there's some reading for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
For $300 you could buy an 11rack which is awesome for config, USB recording, and interfacing with protools.

I use mine for practice and then just run it into effects loop of my real amp for practice with the band.