Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Emloin posted:

That was a good review, it summed up my feelings for the HT-40 as-well.

I'm using the HT-5 at the moment and I'm not enjoying it beyond half volume.
As a way around this (and for use live) I'm using the emulated speaker output into the FX return of my Laney Lv300 and It's sounding great.
Can't wait to get the HT- 100,I think it's worth paying the extra for more control over the channel switching , I'm fortunate enough to live in the uk where Blackstar stuff is much cheaper (£600 for the HT-100)

I keep wanting to buy a HT-5 because I only play in my bedroom, and want something that has some good distortion at reasonable volumes. But I keep psyching myself out by telling myself if I just spend a little bit more, I can get an HT-20, which has the reverb, saving me having to buy a pedal. But if I spend a little extra I can get the HT-40 and get some extra wattage. Or if I spend a little more than that I can get the 60 watt with an extra channel and two 12" speakers! Which of course would defeat the purpose of getting something I can use in my bedroom. :downs:

Also, £600 seems about equal to American prices. I assume you are referring to the HT-100 head (I don't think it comes in combo, but I don't know). I have seen it here for $850, which according to the conversion rate is actually lower than the dollar equivalent for £600 ($936). But maybe you meant something else entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Three Red Lights posted:

[[ Please wait, retrieving post quote... ]]Can anyone recommend me a head? Heres my critera:

Need 2 channels, no more, I dont like having features I dont need and I dont really care about having totally pristine cleans.

Really good nice higain crunch, but not neccisarrily hypercompressed metal stuff.

Available in the UK.

Not mesa boogie.

Cheap, cheap cheap cheap. I dont mind going used.

Marshall is the obvious option but any alternatives?

All of the Blackstar heads meet those criteria. So depending on what wattage you want...

Edit: meant "meet" not "meat"

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 2, 2010

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Zakalwe posted:

I have a HT5.

It really depends on what you mean by high gain. At 10 o'clock it will crank out Gun's 'n' Roses. At 3 o' clock with the ISF set to USA, it's Metallica black album territory.

To get the extreme brtualz you'll probably need a boost pedal and some EQ. I've seen a few guys on youtube use an GE7 EQ pedal for both getting some Rectifier type noises out of the amp

Try to get the head. The combo one I played in the shop didn't sound as good as the head and Celestion loaded cabinets I bought.

I have only ever used an amp's own reverb, but the HT5 doesn't have reverb. What is a good supplemental pedal to use with it?

Should I just save the money on a pedal and just go with an HT20? I'm just so drat indecisive about what I want.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

I've had the HT5 combo for about a week now, and I am loving it. For a small amp, it gets a ton of gain. It's small, has very responsive tonal controls, looks good, and comes with a nice little footswitch. As noted, there's no built-in reverb. Still, for the way it sounds, I can't believe it was only $400.

If you're looking for a great sounding bedroom amp, it's a great choice. If you have a space or play small shows, you might be better off going with the HT20. Just a matter of what you're looking for.

If your guitar is loaded with EMG's or even high output passive humbuckers, you'll get a poo poo ton of gain at a pretty low volume.

I pretty much just play in my bedroom, so I guess I will likely save a little money and go with the HT5.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

brute_force posted:

I have an HT-5 Combo, a Line6 VerbZilla and as a bonus, I also have an HT-DISTX (Blackstar distortion pedal). I could record some sound clips (recorded through the HT-5's "Emulated Output" which can emulate 1x12 and 4x12 cabinets) if you'd like, to show you what kinds of tones the HT-5 can do with and without the HT-DISTX and with the VerbZilla. I like the VerbZilla myself, it's got some nice settings. There are of course YouTube demos of all these products, but tell me if you'd like to hear something specific. :)

For what it's worth, I think the HT-5 is really awesome, especially considering the price, and with the HT-DISTX, you can definitely get some serious distortion. The HT-5 has an effects loop as I'm sure you know, so using pedals for reverb is all good.

edit: I don't work for Blackstar or Line6 even if my post seems like it, haha. I've also only been playing for about 2.5 years so take my opinions with a grain of salt. :)

Thanks for the input. I have listened to a lot of samples on youtube, but I always like hearing amp samples, so if you don't mind, I would love to hear it anything you are willing to record.

As far as the distortion goes, I doubt I will need anything much heavier than early Metallica, so I doubt I would need extra gain.

What I am more curious about than anything else, is how well does it play things with more classical overdrive, like say Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath or something in that era. I tend to have a rather wide variety of sounds I like to go for from classic rock to modern rock to a basic metal sound. When I get good enough, I'm sure I will want to rock out some Van Halen as well.

I do some basic blues as well, but I'm sure I can probably just dial in something on the clean channel that sounds fine.

All else fails, I have a Jekyll and Hyde distortion/overdrive pedal sitting around that I never seem to use.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

brute_force posted:

I recorded some stuff for you (please excuse my lovely attempts at shredding):
Click here to listen to HT-5Demo.mp3 (it may be a little loud, I'm not used to recording... lower the volume I guess)
It's in several parts, you'll probably hear when each begins.
Part 1: Strat, Bridge SC Pickup (DiMarzio HS-3), clean channel, no reverb, 1x12
Part 2: Same, but with reverb ('68 Spring, check YouTube for more VerbZilla demos)
Part 3: Strat, Neck SC Pickup (DiMarzio YJM), Light OD, Reverb, 4x12
Part 4: Same as before but with max gain on the overdrive channel
Part 5: Superstrat, Bridge Humbucker (DiMarzio/Ibanez), max gain on overdrive channel, Reverb, 4x12
Part 6: Same but on clean channel with HT-DISTX at max gain

Also this was recorded in front of my computer so there's a bit more noise than usual. I'd also like to point out that it sounds better through the speaker, in my opinion. The emulation adds a bit of compression or something, but it still sounds pretty good.

As you can see, you can get pretty much anything from bluesy drive to gainy metal with just the overdrive channel, and it takes pedals really well. :)

Excellent. I will check this out when I get home after work. Thanks a ton.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

brute_force posted:

I recorded some stuff for you (please excuse my lovely attempts at shredding):
Click here to listen to HT-5Demo.mp3 (it may be a little loud, I'm not used to recording... lower the volume I guess)
It's in several parts, you'll probably hear when each begins.
Part 1: Strat, Bridge SC Pickup (DiMarzio HS-3), clean channel, no reverb, 1x12
Part 2: Same, but with reverb ('68 Spring, check YouTube for more VerbZilla demos)
Part 3: Strat, Neck SC Pickup (DiMarzio YJM), Light OD, Reverb, 4x12
Part 4: Same as before but with max gain on the overdrive channel
Part 5: Superstrat, Bridge Humbucker (DiMarzio/Ibanez), max gain on overdrive channel, Reverb, 4x12
Part 6: Same but on clean channel with HT-DISTX at max gain

Also this was recorded in front of my computer so there's a bit more noise than usual. I'd also like to point out that it sounds better through the speaker, in my opinion. The emulation adds a bit of compression or something, but it still sounds pretty good.

As you can see, you can get pretty much anything from bluesy drive to gainy metal with just the overdrive channel, and it takes pedals really well. :)

Thanks a lot for this btw. I think it sounds really good in all of those settings. This amp is probably all that I would need.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

After The War posted:

This means 12:00, and not maximum if your knobs go up to "12" (as some Fenders do) :science:.

Pretty sure (at least some) Peavey's do as well.

Edit: So yeah, put all the knobs at half way between the lowest and highest setting.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 2, 2012

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I figured this would be the best place to ask this question.

I bought a Peavey Classic 30 used about 5 years ago. I haven't used it much mainly because its a very loud amp and I live in an apartment. So I have to keep the sound low and I would be a bit embarrassed about my playing anyway.

However, I have been using it from time to time recently and noticed that when I make adjustments on just about all of the knobs except reverb, I will get large jumps and losses in volume, which makes dialing in the right volume for home use kind of hard. Additionally, there is some slight hum that hear through the amp. The loudness doesn't seem to be effected by any of the dials on the amp, or if I am using a humbucker or single coil.

I know very little about maintaining tube amps, and I haven't really done much to it since I first owned it. When I bought it, the guy was honest and told me that the overdrive channel didn't work but he took it to a tech and said all it needed was to replace two of the tubes (don't even remember which ones anymore), and he gave me the tube types and which slots they go in. I replace the tubes and it seemed to work fine, but the overdrive channel is even louder so I basically never used it. I have a pedal and a cheaper modeler that I can plug in if I want effects through it, so didn't care much. I should note that when I got the tubes I didn't even know biasing was a thing. Doing some quick research, un-modded Classic 30's can only be biased by replacing a resistor, and many people say that they don't really need to be biased because the amp doesn't really drive tubes that much.

Does this sound like something simple like getting some electronic cleaning solution and cleaning of the tube contacts? More expensive but still simple like getting a retube kit from Eurotube? Or does this sound like something more involved that would require a tech?

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 9, 2014

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Sounds like a simple grounding hum. Could be the amp but chances are it's the building. Try bringing to a friends house and see if it persists. But, to be honest, if it doesn't get loud when you get loud- it's a non issue.

I would just take some contact cleaner and spray down the pots. Spray and turn them all the way back and forth. That should be okay.

the tubes are more simple to diagnose usually just turn it on and tap on each one lightly, if it makes noise then might be an issue.

I only had a few minutes to look at it last night, but I tapped each of the tubes and nothing seemed to happen. So at least the tubes are fine. I noticed that turning the dials on all the dials except the reverb and mid dial caused some crackling. Reverb when it is turned up causes a different hum than the hum I mentioned before, but both are honestly pretty mild, so not a real concern. I did notice that I can sculpt my hum TONEZ by adjusting the EQ, which I got a chuckle out of.

I would imagine it just needs some contact cleaner. Gonna try and do that over the weekend if I get a chance.

Thanks for the help.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Saw a Fender Mustang III v.2 with a 2 button pedal, 4 button pedal, and an expression pedal for $250. I have heard people gush about it and that seems like a really good price including all the pedals.

Anything I should know before taking a look at it? This is just for home use.

I remember reading that you couldn't use the expression pedal at the same time as the 4 button, but you can always switch out as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Bolange posted:

So I made the "mistake" of watching some gear videos over the weekend and started GASing pretty hard over those newish Fender Bassbreakers. I, like any man of taste, covet a cranked Plexi tone but there realistically is really no room in my life for a JTM45 that I'll never be able to crank up high enough to hit th sweet spot. Have any of you had a chance to checkout the Bassbreaker 45 watt head/combo? How well does that power scaling knob manage the amp? I'm not looking for a middle-of-the-night amp but just something I can get that cooking power tube sound from at a reasonable (nonpainful, no complaints from the neighbors) volume. My understanding of the way that amp works is that I can dial that knob all the way down to 1 watt to get the driven plexi sound at sub-drummer level. Is that accurate? If not I may have to look at the 15 watt version instead (but I prefer to have something that could handle a small open-air gig).

Making the trip this weekend to GC to try a few out and see how they sound. As a followup question, I currently have a 2x12 closed back Messa with V30s and I'd like to find a nice open back cab (1x12 probably) to contrast and expand my tonal options. Any particular recommendations?

This may not matter to you, but I am pretty sure only the 15 watt versions (combo and head) have an FX loop. I also think that the 15 watt does not have any form of power scaling beyond the master volume. However, my reading leads me to believe that the master volume gives more "quiet" volume than a blues junior, so its not already too loud for basic apartment as soon as you get any sound out of the master volume.

I have been meaning to get to the store to look at it closer, but I haven' yet. Sounds like a great amp, and I have read a lot of positive things about it.