Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Any guidance would be appreciated. I was looking around my local music shop today and found a Sunn SA-11 for sale. I've only used solid state combo amps up to now, so i don't really know what I'm getting into here.
They said they could throw in two 2x10s w/ tweeters which were sold to them along with the amp, but they look like a custom build and aside from the fact they worked with the amp I don't know anything else about them. Has anyone used or heard a similar set up for an electric guitar? I've only ever seen tweeters on bass cabs, but my experience is pretty limited.

e: If I decide not to get those speakers any suggestions for an alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Most of the headphone tube amps I know of are not really portable and way more than $250, mostly used for listening to vinyl...

But I do know that Vox makes a series of mini solid state amps for guitars you might want to check out, not sure about the price though.

edit: here's what google gave me - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...qmQuuxj4u3wKqdw

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
If it has multiple inputs try running it directly into the high-gain option of the mustang. I'm not familiar with those, but I can tell you that you can expect some pretty drastic signal loss if you're just going to use the FX loop. At least that was the case with me and my peavy /orange setup i have. I settled with pretty much straight into the Peavy, FX out, Directly into the orange, and no return because it just muddied the sound too much for my taste.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Some tips please? I don't really 'get' what a practice amp is because I just play an acoustic or without plugging in if I'm just practicing usually, but some guitarists I talked to said they have a whole practice setup including amps and now I'm wondering where I should start. I don't really know where to look or what to look for that makes an amp good for practice. My Peavy is too loud for my place at the very first volume marker, so I guess I'm looking for an amp that's clear but not really loud? It feels like an oxymoron

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Agrinja posted:

You want a Yamaha THR10. Teeny, you can screw with it with the computer, they sound fantastic, they get plenty loud, the on board are surprisingly decent, and you can plug it in, or run it off batteries. The THR10 model, which is a bit bigger than the THR5 model, also has settings for Bass, Acoustic, and entirely Flat amplification. Also has aux input and headphone output.

Thanks! Looks like quite the badass little amp, can't wait to try it out. There are like 3 versions of it too. I'm really looking forward to fudging about with some of the user-defined settings and getting some killer presets dialed in that I can switch b/w with a dial or foot pedal. I love my pedalboard, but switching tones on it sounds like dumping a bucket of hammers down an iron staircase. Also, If it sounds good enough I'll be able to just pack up my amps and board and leave them at the recording space/ DJs while this thing just takes up like no room at all instead.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
I got that little critter, the vanilla 2.0 version of the THR, and am so pleased. A quarter of the size. It also has the ability to save custom tweaked presets. I haven't touched my other amps in weeks. I haven't tried dialing in other tones yet, but for clean leads, and a bit of blues, some crunchiness even, its totally satisfactory. I suspect I'll even be able to get some chunkiness, maybe some gristle out of it for the heaviness I like, but i'm still having so much fun playing around with the more sober sounding side of things. I'm confident that playing out with this is not only feasable, but fun. sans drummer of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Pokey Araya posted:

Amp worship in the studio today, the engineer said he wanted some options for guitar overdubs, we came back from lunch to this in the live room. Orange stacks are ours.

Guess I should list them, L to R : Jcm900 100watt reverb that sounded heavy 4x12 Marshall, Orange Dual Dark on top of an Orange 4x12 and a Worshiper 2x15 that our friends make. Vox AC 30 handwired with broken reverb on a 4x12, Orange Rockerverb 50 with 6x12s, a Roland Jazz Chorus 120, and some little Fender.

Ahahaha, years ago I had that same type of little fender as probably my first real tube amp! I swapped the tubes out for sovteks and absolutely ripped the gently caress out of the tinny little speaker before I sold it and upgraded to something bigger and meaner.

Looks like one hell of a jam session would be in order.