Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorgar posted:

Trends? Everywhere I look I see lunchbox and modelling amps. Sure, they still make 100w amps, but that's not all that's out there.

Lunchbox amps that I've listened to are ok, I guess, but sound a little shrill to me. I primarily like the sound of EL34s, so I wind up with 50 or 100 watt amps. Sure, I could sell all my poo poo and get a Tiny Terror or just use a pod* and monitors/house sound**, but I don't want to. It's a hobby. I like the sound of big amps. If you don't have to carry it for me, what's the difference? I don't use 4x12s, though, no room for cabs that big.

*I play with a guy who used a pod for a few years. Hated the sound of it, was happy as hell on the rare occasions he'd just plug into a spare Bassman I had lying around.

**I did this once with a small Jazz Chorus using the line outs. That amp is a different sound entirely, and if it fit what I am doing now, I wouldn't be averse to doing that. But it doesn't.

wait wait... he chose his pod over a bassman? Literally the genesis of all rock and roll amplifiers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorgar posted:

Well, it was a silverface bassman, but yeah. This was for a 12-string playing strictly rhythm. Sounded amazing through the bassman. I've since given him the bassman, but he won't use it, just lets bass players use it. He's since moved on to some Mesa combo with a million knobs and a five band eq. Fiddly gadgets are his thing. The guitar is a Warmoth custom build with crazy custom wiring for using either coil or both of each humbucker in series or parallel, etc.

So far I've gigged on guitar a few times with either a 50 watt Marshall or a 40 watt Jazz Chorus, but may start using a 100w Orange OR-120 because it's a nice short head, easy to pack in the car, and I never have to gently caress with it to get it to sound good.

Also, the OR-120 rules 🤘🤘.

I, too, have a parts guitar but it is about as simple as can be. I even bypassed the normal rhythm toggle switch on it (it's a "Jazzmaster"). Also, I like my EQs baxandall, so 2 knobs is all I ever need to EQ. :grin:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Apartment practicing use a behringer DSP thingy with your computer. For an amp to actually use? Buy a Traynor YBA-1 and have someone mod it to Bassman or JTM45 specs (very easy to do). :canada:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorgar posted:

I spent a lot of years trying to turn one amp into another, getting metal out of Fenders, etc.

Yep. I did this for a long time. Once I got a little knowledge I embraced my true nature: Matamp GT120. :getin:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorgar posted:

That's about the same as an Orange OR-120, right? Looks that way. I'm in the process of paring down, and it looks like the OR-120 is going to be my amp for playing practices/gigs with.

I did a similar thing, where I was a Fender guy for years, and now I'm pretty much an EL34 guy. I'm down to two Fenders, a Super Reverb and a modern Bassman, and I may go down to one. Turns out everything I'd use the Bassman for, I can use the OR-120.

Mostly. I asked Matt Dunn of Dunn Effects about the difference. He told me the Matamp is slightly darker, "looser" and has more gain. The OR120 is a fairly clean amp unless you dime it whereas the Matamp has bark for days.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

The Fulltone MDV-3 'Vibe pedal:

:discourse: sounds good man.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

RE: Fender EQ
I wasn't aware of how they worked either until I started reading about modding the Blues Jr. It's part of the blackface family of amps (Deville, etc.) and it always passes some mids even with all the EQ knobs down. By jumping two lugs on the mid eq pot, it functions like the rest of the Fenders. I did that mod and tested it: With bass mid and treble all the way down (=1), no signal comes out of my amp.
I'm going to experiment a lot with the EQ. I have a very good looper in the Flashback X4, so I'll try that loop trick to play with the EQ while a loop plays.
Sounds like fun to me. I'm also going to try the "turn the EQ all the way up and let all the signal through" idea and see what that sounds like.

Jumping lugs 1 and 2 (connecting input to output in parallel with 1->resistance taper->2)?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

just a nitpick: it's a high-pass capacitor-resistor. :science:

lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hey bro. Bro.

I've seen the cap+resistor solutions on Seymour Duncan's website and elsewhere.

That's not how I roll, bro. I solder a cap from the lug to ground on the volume pot and that's it. Different pickups prefer slightly different values. But there ain't no resistors in my circuit (unless you count the potentiometer itself.)

I mean bring a Faustus to pedantry competition lol

(I'd love to go on but I'd rather not eat a probation. I've been a good little Faust.)

A pot is a resistor, you goob.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

I resemble that remark! (and I allowed that a pot is a resistor too so stop I'm telling Mom. MOMMMMM!!!)
(Also, there are many add-on hi-pass solutions that include additional caps and resistors wired in parallel, so I didn't know what we were :spergin: about, cut me a break I'M NOT TOUCHING YOU I'M NOT TOUCHING YOU!)

lol yea I'm just being a fuckwad. Hey look at one of my favorite videos of the shouty canadian fella:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCE52ZVC04I

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just remember it's the journey not the destination repeat that over and over until you've ship of Theseus'd this motherfucker.

edit: seriously, i want to see everything that can possibly be done to this thing. It's like some freak modular platform now.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 17, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

I draw the line at the forecastle.

What part of the combo is the forecastle? Did I do it already?

Oh, definitely. I'm tempted to find an ultralinear output transformer for it, turn it into a head that drives a 4x12 with v30s and some high gain octavey fuzz up front and just play the same bongloaded sabbathy riff for weeks on end. Oh and of course i would replace the front panel with some Orange-derivative one that says Blue (s Jr.).

edit: gently caress it maybe replace the Fender tone circuit with them two-knob Baxandall for maximum weirdness.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Write a song for your dog. It is the purest possible thing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/power-amp/powerstage-700

Thoughts on this? I've been thinking about putting together some kind of small form not real tube amp but not a modeler pedal based setup for a while. I love how that sounds.

Holy poo poo I've been looking for this.

Edit: I'd been planning on finding some cheap qsc but maybe this'll do the trick.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 1, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I bought a Verellen Meatsmoke preamp and they sell a separate 700w solid state/class D amp to pair with it. They are about the same price. Hmmm.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Friend of mine just ordered this combination of things:

Egnater Rebel 30

and the open-back Orange PPC212OB cabinet.

Bruce Egnater is cool as gently caress and that Amp has some stuff I've never seen before (a blend knob between two tube types? Neat.)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Iucounu posted:

What are your guy's favorite pedal platform amps around $500? Looking for something loud enough for a band with a decent amount of clean headroom

Combo or head? gently caress with a Roland JC-120? I love the Traynor YBA-3 head. Gibson Lab L5.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 18, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Paging Dr Faustus. Paging Dr Faustus to the white courtesy phone. Thank you.

http://carlscustomguitars.com/Head-conversion-cab-for-Fender-Hot-Rod-Blues-Deluxe-Deville-Deluxe-Deville-Head.htm

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Medlar posted:

Re: pedal platform amps. I make loads of money so I have too many pedals that I rarely use (comparatively novice), but if I could only choose two, it'd be my TS808 and my Strymon BigSky. I bought an Egnator 40w Tweaker stack to use as a platform. True to its name, it requires a lot of time messing with the knobs to get stuff dialed in to what you want. Ive owned it for a few months now and it sounds REALLY good in an amp stand with a slight amount of dirt and volume, but at apartment volumes it's unimpressive (duh). I have a Monoprice 15w thingy (knock-off Blues Jr) that a buddy of mine handwired a while back and I absolutely love it for a pretty wide spectrum of play--Ive been messing with a lot of post-rock/shoe-gaze and stuff most Blues dads probably tell you to start off with. Never tried the factory models but as far as I understand it handwiring can make a BIG difference. It has become my pedal platform because honestly even though the BigSky is incredible I'm not creative enough at the moment to really do anything Id be proud enough to record.

Hand-wiring vs a pcb? Makes a BIG difference?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea I was being coy: being on a pcb doesn't mean it sounds worse. It means nothing whatsoever. Point to point wiring looks cool. I like cool looking wiring too man.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

I have a Soldano SLO 100 that I got for like 500 bucks

:stonk:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea spend the money on a much less expensive amp, like an Egnater or something, and get a BE-OD. :)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

Seconded.

I have a buddy who plays a lot of really heavy high-gain stuff. He has an Ampeg 1/2 stack (The 502 I think, the one Paul Gilbert was associated with for awhile? I want it), and Marshall VM 1/2 stack (I want it, too) but he will not stop gushing about his Engle 1/2-stack (I haven't met it yet). I've tried to convince him that you can sound crunchier by using less gain and playing with more strength, and he listens to a degree. He brags that that Engle has so many channels and he never uses the "ultra gain" channel but it's a humblebrag about how much gain his amp has.

It's just funny because we can't have a conversation about playing without that coming up.

He worships that Engle.

yes to everything you said here. I'm convinced, though, that super high gain people actually like the smoothness that comes with lopping off every last square bit of the waveform. Basically they are heavy metal Michael McDonalds.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 7, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Except doom and sludge guys. We use fuzzes so it never gets too smooth.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've been playing through Paul Masvidal's setup on BIAS and it has that high gain + clarity + slightly muffled sound and it really is something I enjoy a lot. It's pleasing in a weird way. I can't figure out what makes that sound or why it sounds good to me.

Similarly I love most of Greg Howe's guitar tones even if they're real odd if you think about them. Very bassy and not a lot of high end.

Have you tried Amplitube? How's it compare to BIAS? Mainly interested in the cab/speaker/mic/room simulation part of it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

^^^^I tried NI's Guitar Rig and hated it. Amplitube is at least passible if I do this: load the Jimi Hendrix Sunn 1200S model and set it to clean (halfway). THEN, I load a 4x12 with Celestion 30s or some minor variant thereof. Then I audition mics and usually go with the dual sm57 (straight w/ angled) and a condenser of some kind, playing with just the right spot on the virtual "cone" to get the best sound I can find. It still sounds way shittier than a real amp cab but I guess that goes without saying.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I tested both a lot and liked BIAS much more than any of the other amp sims. Admittedly I didn't play around with the cab stuff in Amplitube much but it's great in BIAS FX. You can use IRs too but I'm too entry level to figure that out. Amplitube is good stuff though. I wasn't feeling it but plenty of players have made amazing sounds with it.

Anything specific you want to know about BIAS FX?

Well shoot I'll just have to try it, then. I even have a pack of impulses I got a long time ago I meant to try: http://www.rosendigitalaudio.com/downloads/british-producer-pack-3-impulse-response-bundle/

pm me about 'em if you want.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 7, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

philkop posted:

I ended up doing this. Seems to have worked! Much cooler.

This isn't quite what your asking but I chilled with my studio bud and forgot to bring my amp one time so he took it as a chance to run a bunch of his amp/cab sims by me and the one that felt and sounded best to me was Waves GTR. Like right away too. I wasn't feeling a lot of what he was giving me until he popped that one on and it was instantly usable for me.

Actually... Now I'm going to try that. Waves stuff is always solid. Thanks!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GreenMarine posted:

What would be a good amp for death metal & neo-classical practice & play at home? I currently use an AxeFX II, but I find it quite complex and perhaps more than I need. Dialing in a tone I like takes a ton of my time and seems to be too easy to get wrong. Looking for recommendations on what to look for. It seems like a 100w head is way too much if I'm mostly playing at home.

Orange Micro Terror.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

jwh posted:

Pro Reverb is a great choice actually. Your mileage may vary on the "mod" to pull V1. I've never really seen that make much of a difference. Increasing the gain of the phase inverter means you're going to actually hit the grids of the power tubes even harder, decreasing your headroom. If anything I'd consider changing the long tail pair phase inverter to a 12AY7!

I have a vintage 1968 Super Reverb, which is essentially a Pro but with a smaller output transformer and different speaker compliment, and it's a nice amp.

I have a 1967.5/8 Pro Reverb sup buddy. 😎

edit: I meant to add that I agree. The thing is already not much for headroom as it is.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 13, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I've hosed around swapping preamp tubes before. You should do it just to know what it sounds like and how much of a difference things like that make. Preamps tubes are a much cheaper way to do this than power or rectifier tubes.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

jwh posted:

When you get the amp, see if you can't find these trim pots for me, because I'm not seeing them on the schematic...

poo poo did I miss the schematic? I barely could penetrate Faustus' wall of text mostly because I have the attention span of a goldfish.

Edit: Faustus, luv u, Boo. :bigtran:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 15, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

We talked about those Vox amps with the Korg NuTube in them? The MV50. I am intrigued!!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yep, it'll just clip no biggie. The FX loop is part of the preamp, basically, but you're putting the signal in between the preamp and power sections. Overdriving the power section may not even sound bad. The Earthquaker Acapulco Gold and DAM Sonic Titan actually work by clipping the poo poo out of a class AB amplifier IC.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Some dude may have fried the power amp IC in his Boss Katana. So he takes a picture of it to figure out which IC it is. It is a Boss "IC700" lol wtf. Guess replacement parts won't be easy to come by for a while.

My Orange Micro Terror used an off-the-shelf chip like god intended.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Boss Katana is the king of bang for the buck right now, imo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Smash it Smash hit posted:

anyone wanna help me figure out what this thing is doing exactly

I would use it to test R-C filtering and inductance. This is useful for creating tone controls for pedals and amplifiers. You can run your raw, unfiltered circuit into it and select combinations of resistors, capacitors and inductance to tune the sound of a circuit.

Oftentimes there is filtering between gain stages of Distortion pedals so that the output I had tones in well-defined frequency spaces and it is easier to hear what is happening than doing the math and inferring the sound.

A resistor and a capacitor in-series creates a low pass filter. A capacitor and resistor in-series creates a high pass filter. These circuits in series create a band pass filter.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 24, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea, those are gain stages.

If you read the value of the caps and resistors on that rotary toggle switch you can actually figure out the frequencies it's shaving off at each position:

http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm

The depth rotary control knob on the right does exactly this for a Matamp emulation.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That's a cool idea, actually. I'm sure I will want to make one of those for myself at some point.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I would guess it's to simulate another signal (like a loudass boost pedal) slamming into the front of this. When you turn it up it's like you cranked a ZVex SHO at full report into the first gain stage. That's my guess.

The first capacitor in a preamp is a "coupling capacitor" which is the mofo that gets punched in its nuts when you do the aforementioned boosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Schpyder posted:

I think most of the quilter block series also have direct outs if you just want to skip the whole recording a speaker thing, although you probably want a cab still hooked up because the amp circuit reacts to the speaker load.

It's solid state so you don't need a speaker load at all.