Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ruinedhero posted:

I really don't know of any amps that do both bass and regular. A bass amp would probably be better to use if you really need only one amp...

Orange Thunderverbs are designed for both.

edit: But the real issue is that the amps are fine, its speakers you have to worry about. Bass frequencies will drive guitar speakers into over-excursion and destroy them.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Shalkore posted:

With the boost, it sounds like I'm playing with The Kinks

FYI, The Kinks sounded as gritty as they did because the guitarist literally slashed his speaker cone with a knife.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I was about to suggest a 5150 also, but since you're allergic to those, maybe a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL? I'm not sure what the prices are like in the UK but for a used Marshall they're cheap in the US.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Mondrian posted:

I guess I'm after tones like those in this song:
particularly the mid-gain riff at 3-5 minutes, the clean/low gain at around 8 mins and the crushing outro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XdEztcfg5A

Cult of Luna is known for using a shitload of amps and guitarists. They've been seen with JCM800/900s, Dual Rectifiers, Fender Twins, OR120s, Sunn Model Ts, a small unidentified Traynor combo, some custom Swedish amps, and more.

Honestly, a lot of their sound has to do with layering several low/mid gain tracks and heavy reverb/delay. They're well known for using various Roland Space Echos.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Three Red Lights posted:

FYI a new high gain terror just got announced so I'd wait to check that out.

Welp, sounds like I just found my next purchase.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Kerpal posted:

Are there any other good, affordable hi gain amps that aren't the 6505? I want death metal tone but also bluesy cleans and I know the cleans suck on the 6505. I guess I'm looking for versatility. I'd be willing to spend 1200, though I want a combo since i don't have a cab. I really only need a 1x12 combo.

With a budget like $1200, you could think about getting two separate combos and an AB switch. You could pick up a Fender Hot Rod or a JC-120 for cheap and spend the rest on the 6505.

Do you want an all-tube high gain amp, or would you be willing to look at a modelling amp? That would probably give you a lot more options.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

relative_q posted:

I've owned three (Super 60, Evil Twin, and the Showman) and they all kicked rear end in their own way.

How's the Evil Twin? I've been considering it after I heard the drive channel was lifted from the Sunn Model T reissue.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Boz0r posted:

I'm looking to get a new sound and I really dig the sound of the lead guitar in the solos of this song:

http://grooveshark.com/s/Love+On+The+Rocks+With+No+Ice/2fmrT7?src=5

I read that he uses a Marshall 1959SLP with some "extra gain in the curcuit", but I can't afford the 1959 or a guy to modify it. So I'm looking for a way to get near this sound for cheaper and not as loud, as I don't play stadium gigs :(

What should I try out?

There's a whole cottage industry of people making pedals that sound like a Marshall plexi, often called "Marshall-in-a-box". Examples include the PlexiTone, Purple Plexi, Box of Rock, and Dirty Little Secret. Hell, if you tweak around a bit you could probably go cheap and get away with a ProCo Rat or modded DS-1 to get close to that sound.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Before actually replacing your tubes, I would suggest making sure all the contacts and socket receptacles are clean and free of corrosion. A lot of problems that seem like tube issues are actually a result of poor or intermittent contact.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

SeraphSlaughter posted:

*snip*
...heavier rock sounds, like The Sword
*snip*
If I can get either/both sounds with an amp + pedal combo...

FWIW, The Sword uses distortion pedals through clean tube amps. I believe one guitarist uses an EHX Metal Muff and the other uses a Maxon Distortion Master.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

(Tangentially, is there any safe process by which I could power up my old Peavey, or should I do the right thing and test caps - which would be a pain?)

Do some googling for 'light bulb current limiter'. Its a fairly cheap and easy DIY way to safely power up an amp that may have potential problems.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Boz0r posted:

How do know if I bias my amp correctly? I always read about how you bias an amp, but never how you know when your amp is biased.

I like to think of it like the idle speed on a car engine. You don't want it too high or too low, but somewhere just right.

If the bias is too high, the amp will be overheating and burning up tubes prematurely.

If the bias is too low, the amp won't get enough signal through the tube and will sound lovely and crackly.

If your amp is working fine, you can fiddle with it a bit in order to push the tubes harder for breakup or back off for more headroom. The reason to rebias when putting in new tubes is that every tube conducts and distorts up at a different bias point. What works for one tube may be way off for another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

beatlegs posted:

Not sure, how can I tell? Here's the chassis and tube chart label:

Nope, that one has 6L6s.