Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Some of you were discussing the Blackstar HT series on the last page.

What are your thoughts on the high gain settings? I need another amp aside from my JCM 800 2204 clone that can go beyond the sounds of that, but without being as bulky or having to go as loud to get a good sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Let's talk about amp mods!

Some will say that if you need to mod an amp in the first place, then you were probably looking for another amp to begin with. Although this can be the case, it isn't necessarily true all the time.

I love my JCM 800 clone, but I also love the sound of hotrodded JCM 800s, with more gain and a little tighter sound. It's with the amp tech at the moment. He is going to install a mod that involves adding an extra 'boost' gain stage with a tube, which will be footswitchable to the stock 800 sound if needed. The boost is modelled off a Bogner amp which is exciting.

Have any of you had mods done to your amps?

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

High gain goons, what's a better purchase? An Engl Savage 120, or the Engl Savage SE (Not the Engl SE)?

Unfortunately it's one of those things where I can't play before I buy due to the scarcity in the country, but there are some decent deals on both floating around.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

There are several quality, great sounding low-watt amps now that make decisions really hard. Laney Ironheart Studio, Engl Ironball, the Randall RD1/5/20 range. Still want a Savage 120. :(

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

What about the JVM1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpHGwYOlhuk

Maybe the Dark Terror would be good for you too, they can reach close to the same levels of gain, and there's barely any knobs to fuss with.

The Randall RD1 and 5 are also little monsters from the clips floating out there.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 26, 2014