Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!
Currently I have a Fender Silverface Champ, which is great for practicing at home. However, I need something loud enough (and with enough clean headroom) to play with a drummer or fill a small pub. I love the vintage fender clean sound (I play jazz) and prefer tube amps, but it seems that it's hard to find an amp that's the volume I want. I'm looking for a Charlie Christian, Joe Pass or Jim Hall kind of sound. If anyone as any suggestions that would be great, thanks! Also preferably not too far above $1000 used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!

ruinedhero posted:

A used Fender tube 50 watt amp would be plenty loud and under $1000 - the best bet would be to sample a poo poo load of used and new amps at your local retailers because what you want is pretty broad, which is a good thing because you have a shitload of selection. I always liked Laney's clean tone, but again you have alot of options with what you are looking for.

But are there even any 50 watt tube amps from Fender? That can provide the vintage sound I want? The only one I know of is the Hot Rod Deluxe which definitely isn't the sound or quality that I'm going for.

I'm actually having a really hard time finding an amp with what I want (from Fender anyway, I don't know much about other brands at all to be honest). Fender Twin's are the sound I want and easy to find but way too loud. There was some kind of vintage tube amp I found before that was around 60W I think which seemed perfect for me, but it's incredibly rare and costs 2-3x the price of a Twin, which is already barely in my budget.

I'll take a look at some Laney's though.

edit: just did some research into the Fender Super Reverb, anyone have experience with those? Looks like a vintage one will run me almost 2grand though so that's still not really an option.

Nelsocracy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 8, 2010

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!
Have any of you guys played a Polytone? I really do tend to prefer tube amps but I heard these amps might give me the sound I'm looking for (see my post at the top of the page).

They seem difficult to obtain, though.

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!
If only I could try it out first. I'm reluctant to order an amp without hearing it - especially a solid state, as I find they can sound quite sterile sometimes. It is highly recommended though - I guess I'll catch CL and see if one pops up.