Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)

Gripen5 posted:

I have only ever used an amp's own reverb, but the HT5 doesn't have reverb. What is a good supplemental pedal to use with it?

Should I just save the money on a pedal and just go with an HT20? I'm just so drat indecisive about what I want.

I have an HT-5 Combo, a Line6 VerbZilla and as a bonus, I also have an HT-DISTX (Blackstar distortion pedal). I could record some sound clips (recorded through the HT-5's "Emulated Output" which can emulate 1x12 and 4x12 cabinets) if you'd like, to show you what kinds of tones the HT-5 can do with and without the HT-DISTX and with the VerbZilla. I like the VerbZilla myself, it's got some nice settings. There are of course YouTube demos of all these products, but tell me if you'd like to hear something specific. :)

For what it's worth, I think the HT-5 is really awesome, especially considering the price, and with the HT-DISTX, you can definitely get some serious distortion. The HT-5 has an effects loop as I'm sure you know, so using pedals for reverb is all good.

edit: I don't work for Blackstar or Line6 even if my post seems like it, haha. I've also only been playing for about 2.5 years so take my opinions with a grain of salt. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)

Gripen5 posted:

Thanks for the input. I have listened to a lot of samples on youtube, but I always like hearing amp samples, so if you don't mind, I would love to hear it anything you are willing to record.

As far as the distortion goes, I doubt I will need anything much heavier than early Metallica, so I doubt I would need extra gain.

What I am more curious about than anything else, is how well does it play things with more classical overdrive, like say Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath or something in that era. I tend to have a rather wide variety of sounds I like to go for from classic rock to modern rock to a basic metal sound. When I get good enough, I'm sure I will want to rock out some Van Halen as well.

I do some basic blues as well, but I'm sure I can probably just dial in something on the clean channel that sounds fine.

All else fails, I have a Jekyll and Hyde distortion/overdrive pedal sitting around that I never seem to use.

I recorded some stuff for you (please excuse my lovely attempts at shredding):
Click here to listen to HT-5Demo.mp3 (it may be a little loud, I'm not used to recording... lower the volume I guess)
It's in several parts, you'll probably hear when each begins.
Part 1: Strat, Bridge SC Pickup (DiMarzio HS-3), clean channel, no reverb, 1x12
Part 2: Same, but with reverb ('68 Spring, check YouTube for more VerbZilla demos)
Part 3: Strat, Neck SC Pickup (DiMarzio YJM), Light OD, Reverb, 4x12
Part 4: Same as before but with max gain on the overdrive channel
Part 5: Superstrat, Bridge Humbucker (DiMarzio/Ibanez), max gain on overdrive channel, Reverb, 4x12
Part 6: Same but on clean channel with HT-DISTX at max gain

Also this was recorded in front of my computer so there's a bit more noise than usual. I'd also like to point out that it sounds better through the speaker, in my opinion. The emulation adds a bit of compression or something, but it still sounds pretty good.

As you can see, you can get pretty much anything from bluesy drive to gainy metal with just the overdrive channel, and it takes pedals really well. :)

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)

Gripen5 posted:

Thanks a lot for this btw. I think it sounds really good in all of those settings. This amp is probably all that I would need.

Glad it was helpful. I think my Strat was a bit out of tune there, I did tune it but it doesn't like keeping it for too long. :) Anyway, be sure to post your own thoughts on the amp once you've played around with it.

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

This isn't the thread for it, I know, but could you point me out to some of the source material, or at least inspirational material, of the music you had been playing from part 2 to part 6?

Thanks for asking. Most of it is just noodling/improvisation, with two notable exceptions. The beginning of part 3 is the main riff of Andy Timmons' Electric Gypsy, and the beginning of part 6 is the main riff of Carpe Diem (also Timmons). As you might have guessed, I am a huge fan of Timmons, my absolute favorite guitarist considering his tone, phrasing, dynamics, songwriting, and technique. As for other inspirational material, I don't really know any specifics, but I imagine I also take inspiration from other 'shredders' like Satriani and Vinnie Moore, as well as metal bands like Megadeth (Mustaine and Friedman are awesome), Maiden, Extreme (Nuno Bettencourt does some awesome funky metal stuff) and Opeth (favorite band), along with lots of other bands. That said, I'm not by any means anywhere near any of their abilities, but you gotta start somewhere. :)