Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Star Man posted:

I think you live in whatever quarters they provide on-site.

Those quarters are still charged against your salary at rates assessed (among other things) on the basis of prevailing market rate, so even lovely park housing is often shockingly expensive because the nearby gateway communities are expensive tourist towns. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Still have to pay for those! And hope the local rent isn't too high. I've heard the poor fuckers at Grand Tetons have to pay rent commiserate with Jackson, which is absolutely insane. I paid ~$400 a month to live in a two-room shack in the woods in the Sierra Nevada, and I was lucky since that was the price for shared housing and I never got a roommate - it would have been twice that if I'd had the gall to demand 250 square feet of personal space.

e: could have been worse though, at least I had cell service and an actual roof. Folks in another, more remote part of the park were living in literal tent cabins.

I'm from Wyoming, so I already know what the cost of living in that entire corner of the state is like. I should have put it together that rent was being charged. I knew a PTF clerk with the Postal Service who worked in Jackson and she had to commute from Afton every day. This is also the most liberal part of the state.

In my defense, my knee jerk reaction is this forum is so full to the gills with IT and software engineers that I read everything like it's coming from an internet shut-in.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Elem7 posted:

I'm genuinely curious, do you know what that number was in 1990?

When one of the things the Biden administration said coming in is they want to tackle federal "pay compaction" I thought it was related to the fact the first 5 levels of the GS scale have been made nearly extinct as a result of Federal pay not keeping up with inflation, and so many people get shoved into the 11-12-13 range for the last 20 or more years of their career. I think it ended up referring to all the high locality GS-15s stuck at the pay cap though.

The source I pulled the above number for said that like 50% of govt workers were GS-7 and below in the 60s. I'd love to know what it was in the 90s and early 2000.

Quorum posted:

Those quarters are still charged against your salary at rates assessed (among other things) on the basis of prevailing market rate, so even lovely park housing is often shockingly expensive because the nearby gateway communities are expensive tourist towns. :sigh:

This is the absolute dumbest policy in fedgov. Make GS-3s and 4s pay more because a whole bunch of rich people moved in and bought up everything else.

Some DOI entities were able to get away with not properly applying rate increases for a while, but the higherups have cracked down on that over the years. My rent for a literal dorm room (still nicer than 75% of govt housing) has doubled from 2020-2023. $450/mo is a hell of a lot for GS-low career seasonals.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Elem7 posted:

I'm genuinely curious, do you know what that number was in 1990?

When one of the things the Biden administration said coming in is they want to tackle federal "pay compaction" I thought it was related to the fact the first 5 levels of the GS scale have been made nearly extinct as a result of Federal pay not keeping up with inflation, and so many people get shoved into the 11-12-13 range for the last 20 or more years of their career. I think it ended up referring to all the high locality GS-15s stuck at the pay cap though.

sparkmaster posted:

The source I pulled the above number for said that like 50% of govt workers were GS-7 and below in the 60s. I'd love to know what it was in the 90s and early 2000.

I’m not sure if this is related at all but I’m curious how the number of federal contractors has changed during the same time period. Some sections I’ve worked with were 60-70% contractors with GS 12s and 13s as supervisors and managers.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

There should be government owned housing forced on feds in every agency. I'm imagining large public housing projects, maybe soviet style housing blocs, crammed with bureaucrats surrounding downtown DC

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Thesaurus posted:

There should be government owned housing forced on feds in every agency. I'm imagining large public housing projects, maybe soviet style housing blocs, crammed with bureaucrats surrounding downtown DC

It’s called Arlington.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Star Man posted:

I'm from Wyoming, so I already know what the cost of living in that entire corner of the state is like. I should have put it together that rent was being charged. I knew a PTF clerk with the Postal Service who worked in Jackson and she had to commute from Afton every day. This is also the most liberal part of the state.

I lived in Afton for a while and commuted into Jackson to work. loving miserable period of my life.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh boy. It's only the start of March, the IRS isn't getting letters requesting ID verification or informing them of income verification that will take six to twelve months sixty one hundred twenty days out until now-ish, and I get to be the rear end in a top hat who tells poor black and brown women the refund they need is being delayed for reasons and they start breaking down and crying.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Star Man posted:

Oh boy. It's only the start of March, the IRS isn't getting letters requesting ID verification or informing them of income verification that will take six to twelve months sixty one hundred twenty days out until now-ish, and I get to be the rear end in a top hat who tells poor black and brown women the refund they need is being delayed for reasons and they start breaking down and crying.

The tax code is the absolute dumbest way to distribute welfare because the people who desperately need the money have to wait seemingly random lengths of time to get it, while on the other end I have to deal with the big brain geniuses who used one weird trick they learned on TikTok to lower their tax liability by making up fake businesses with huge fraudulent losses so they can get the EITC while making $300K a year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

It’s called Arlington.

Honestly, it's more Fairfax, so all the boomers complain about being "forced" to drive to the office.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Jokes on them, my office is in Fairfax (county)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

LyonsLions posted:

The tax code is the absolute dumbest way to distribute welfare because the people who desperately need the money have to wait seemingly random lengths of time to get it, while on the other end I have to deal with the big brain geniuses who used one weird trick they learned on TikTok to lower their tax liability by making up fake businesses with huge fraudulent losses so they can get the EITC while making $300K a year.

Maybe I just didn't look that much into it last year because I was working my first filing season, but I browse reported income on accounts more often now when there's a refund freeze and income has to be verified. There's a lot of returns being held up in review and the forms W-2 or 1099-R look normal and they had the same employer or pension going back a few years. But there's no income reported by the payer in IDRS for 2023 because it was never sent or it just isn't in IDRS yet because reasons.

Usually fraudulent returns are pretty easy to spot on an account, and I've categorized them into three groups:

• The taxpayer is broke on their rear end and they claimed a gigantic fuel tax or sick and family leave credit because they fell for a scheme and have nothing to lose, or their preparer is filing bullshit returns and trying to rip them off for $3,000 through the RAL refund.
  • The taxpayer filed a fraudulent tax return with a high fuel tax credit claim that just so happens to be a few thousand dollars more than their sizeable tax balance due.
  • It's a tax return filed with stolen information claiming all kinds of poo poo like a $120,000 fuel tax credit.

I don't have the time or cause to math verify everyone's claims stuck in a RIVO -R freeze over the phone, especially if there's no math error on the return. I also can't disclose income information anyway, so I can't tell people what the likely cause for the review is besides offering vague advice and to hurry up and wait or file an amended return.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Was told I’m tentatively eligible based on my self assessment but due to high volume of applicants only veterans preference were passed onto the hiring manager.

I guess it is what it says? Does this mean they haven’t looked at my resume and just took all the people that passed the silly self-assessment that were veterans and cut it off there?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
My mom was told in her benefits interview with SSA that she would get $1xxx and she got a letter saying she's getting $7xx??

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

cheese eats mouse posted:

Was told I’m tentatively eligible based on my self assessment but due to high volume of applicants only veterans preference were passed onto the hiring manager.

I guess it is what it says? Does this mean they haven’t looked at my resume and just took all the people that passed the silly self-assessment that were veterans and cut it off there?

Typically I think it means your resume was looked at by an HR person, who just checked whether it and the questionnaire responses met the baseline requirements for the posting. That's the first hurdle. Here, it seems like enough people with veterans preference met the criteria to bump you out of the running entirely, which stinks.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

For typical positions in the Federal government, very strong preference is given to veterans, and the process makes it very difficult to hire a non-veteran if numerous veterans have applied and been found eligible.

So because of this, they essentially know that no non-veterans will practically get awarded this particular job, and they did the non-vets the kindness of letting them know early on that they have no shot. The hiring manager is never going to be able to get through the queue of veterans that are about to get thrown at them. It's possible that all the people being sent to them will be unqualified, but at that point they would probably step back and adjust the posting, and re-advertise to eliminate the people at the eligibility step rather than try to disqualify the enormous stack of veterans.

There are other ways that agencies hire people (e.g. Direct Hire Authority) that gets around this, but if you're in a big pool with a lot of eligible veterans you are not likely to succeed if the normal hiring process is followed.

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"

Seamonster posted:

My mom was told in her benefits interview with SSA that she would get $1xxx and she got a letter saying she's getting $7xx??

If she filed for retirement and was eligible for an additional spousal benefit she will get 2 letters and the total should be the higher amount she was quoted hopefully.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Devor posted:

For typical positions in the Federal government, very strong preference is given to veterans, and the process makes it very difficult to hire a non-veteran if numerous veterans have applied and been found eligible.

So because of this, they essentially know that no non-veterans will practically get awarded this particular job, and they did the non-vets the kindness of letting them know early on that they have no shot. The hiring manager is never going to be able to get through the queue of veterans that are about to get thrown at them. It's possible that all the people being sent to them will be unqualified, but at that point they would probably step back and adjust the posting, and re-advertise to eliminate the people at the eligibility step rather than try to disqualify the enormous stack of veterans.

There are other ways that agencies hire people (e.g. Direct Hire Authority) that gets around this, but if you're in a big pool with a lot of eligible veterans you are not likely to succeed if the normal hiring process is followed.

Ok ty for the elaboration. It was a lower experienced remote position for a UX job. I was overqualified so not surprised there were some veterans in the 100 they said they’d look at. You could basically be a junior level designer and be qualified.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nutella posted:

If she filed for retirement and was eligible for an additional spousal benefit she will get 2 letters and the total should be the higher amount she was quoted hopefully.

Most likely this, but call to confirm. Call your local office. It may or may not be staffed by numbskulls, but the odds are you get a better answer than the national 1-800 number.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Devor posted:

To expand on this a little in order to bypass a veteran in the hiring queue, which can be done, requires a detailed justification and the approval of several layers of management including the executive of that business unit and the executive's boss, at least in my agency. In other words its something usually only done in the most egregious circumstances; usually it's easier to just hire them somewhere and hopefully get through to the qualified people but this doesn't always happen. Sometimes this results in hiring unqualified veterans into positions where they are not likely to succeed. This may sound harsh to veterans but you have to remember that 'eligibility' is not defined by the hiring manager or assessed by someone that has any familiarity with what the job actually entails and requires, so you can end up with a lot of unqualified but technically eligible people on the veteran's cert with no real way around that. The hiring managers receive a separate veteran's cert first and only after clearing that list will they even see the remaining candidates.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I've gotten many "you have been referred to the hiring manager" confirmations and yet none of them ever call me

:smith:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Fundamentally Veterans are at the top of the list in hiring, then other groups such as displaced federal workers, Schedule A, and so on. Those groups get preference over people not in this groups and if all of them wash out for some reason or another, then they move to the regular candidates.

Contacting bids selections are similar though there's more flexibility if there's only one slot whereas if there's multiple, then those reserved slots must have someone filling them from a special group such as women owned, minority owned, veteran owned, etc

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Got my second qualified but many veterans applied.

Sounding like my fed resume writing skills are good at least

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Starting to take a look at federal jobs since my post grad school job search has not landed me any job offers yet. Spent 5 years as an Army officer (O3/Captain) and qualify for the 10 point preference for disabled vets.

Anything I should know about resumes/CVs? Heard they're a bit different for federal jobs.

My Army experience is mostly logistics project/program management with some financial stuff thrown in. Experience managing a Government Purchase Card account/budget and managing government contracts.

BA in International Studies, MBA in well, Business Administration.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Mustang posted:

Starting to take a look at federal jobs since my post grad school job search has not landed me any job offers yet. Spent 5 years as an Army officer (O3/Captain) and qualify for the 10 point preference for disabled vets.

Anything I should know about resumes/CVs? Heard they're a bit different for federal jobs.

My Army experience is mostly logistics project/program management with some financial stuff thrown in. Experience managing a Government Purchase Card account/budget and managing government contracts.

BA in International Studies, MBA in well, Business Administration.

My advice with Federal resume working is to look over the Resume building guide on USAJobs. I've heard that the thing applicants leave out most frequently are the hours they worked per week, and it does make a difference. I'm afraid I don't know much of anything about Veterans preference, but it can only help. For what it's worth, I think your life experiences and education look great, and hopefully it won't take too long for it all to work out for you!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Got my second qualified but many veterans applied.

Sounding like my fed resume writing skills are good at least

Maybe! Don't rest on your laurels about your resume, there's always room for improvement. It might just be getting you through some HR workflows that don't examine too closely the non-veteran resumes.

If you are a smart HR person (or smart person designing the business process), you'd start your reviews with the veteran resumes, and once you hit some threshold number of qualified veterans, you can take shortcuts with the non-vets. It's not like you're going to have people appealing a 'qualified' assessment, after all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Sitting in COR training rn and learning a bunch about Mint exemptions to basically all of it thanks to 31 USC 5136. This includes CICA and the FAR.

Also learned about Randoph-Sheppard which seems very silly.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol I'm essential

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Star Man posted:

lol I'm essential

Are you still in Accounts Management? An IRS customer-service rep during tax season is essential as hell

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crickets over here, everybody tacitly assumes it'll pass. I suspect we get a just for fun shutdown over the weekend and then we have a budget at last.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Midjack posted:

Crickets over here, everybody tacitly assumes it'll pass. I suspect we get a just for fun shutdown over the weekend and then we have a budget at last.

I hope so! I'm at an academy, and while USCIS is fee funded, the academy evidently is not. Just gonna play it by ear, I suppose.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Antivehicular posted:

Are you still in Accounts Management? An IRS customer-service rep during tax season is essential as hell

yinz will be among the first to know if and when I fall upwards into a criminal investigation job

But it seems like not everyone in my remote call site is considered essential. Seems how this was decided was by reverse EOD. We're expecting appropriations to pass the Senate and nothing changes.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Last time we almost shut down I was deemed essential. I would have literally been sitting on my hands doing nothing.

This time I’m entering my busiest two weeks of the year, and I’m deemed non-essential.

I’d say to make it make sense, but after 14 years I know to just roll with it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Legally prohibited from working crew roll call.

Last minute save!

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!
Oh for those old-fashioned shutdowns of yore, not these hip new ones that only happen over weekends when nobody'll notice.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
To clarify, does a "referred to hiring manager" mean that the applicant has gotten past the internal hire/veteran/spouse glut?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Discendo Vox posted:

To clarify, does a "referred to hiring manager" mean that the applicant has gotten past the internal hire/veteran/spouse glut?

Yup! It’s “qualified but not passed on” that is “sorry, enough vets got in”.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm non-essential, but we were in the first minibus, so already had a budget.

Anyway, congrats to everyone who gets to go to work on Monday!

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Whelp, officially made the journey all the way from step 1 to step 10 today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Shadragul posted:

Whelp, officially made the journey all the way from step 1 to step 10 today.

How many QSIs along the way?