Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The job I applied for with IRS CI is direct hire with over one hundred openings, and the earlier discussion suggests that there isn't a veteran's preference. It's been stuck in being referred to the hiring manager since 19 January.

A similar call for applications for the same job is on USAJobs.

I don't know what any of this means other than glhf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Star Man posted:

The job I applied for with IRS CI is direct hire with over one hundred openings, and the earlier discussion suggests that there isn't a veteran's preference. It's been stuck in being referred to the hiring manager since 19 January.

A similar call for applications for the same job is on USAJobs.

I don't know what any of this means other than glhf

CI takes a long time even in the federal government sense. A friend of mine waited like 6 months after getting a tentative offer for CI until the firm offer came.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If that happens to me, then I'd like to know what they do with my grade and step. I'm GS-06 now and roll into GS-07 in May. The CI job I applied for is 7-9-11-12, and I only qualified for GS-07 (which I expected). If I get hired after I promote to GS-07 as a phone man, am I stuck as GS-07 step one for more than one year, or will I upgrade to step two at some point before being promoted to GS-09?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Star Man posted:

If that happens to me, then I'd like to know what they do with my grade and step. I'm GS-06 now and roll into GS-07 in May. The CI job I applied for is 7-9-11-12, and I only qualified for GS-07 (which I expected). If I get hired after I promote to GS-07 as a phone man, am I stuck as GS-07 step one for more than one year, or will I upgrade to step two at some point before being promoted to GS-09?

You might have to argue with HR but time in grade is time in grade. You should move up to step two after one year time in grade regardless of changing jobs.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Star Man posted:

I've seen people have issues with this before, and it is something a manager can fix (if they want to).

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

grenada posted:

How many QSIs along the way?

None. Took the full 18 years.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Ok, I'm trying to figure out a timeline for the hiring process. This is probably an exercise in futility but I figure what the hell.

The Situation: I was offered a tentative offer via email at USMEPCOM in North Chicago as a Software Engineer on a GS12 track. This position was not listed and is under Direct Higher Authority. I created my federal resume and submitted it on 29Feb. The program manager lady said she submitted it to HR(CPAC) and that they would evaluate whether I start as GS-9 or GS-11.

She told me to standby and its almost been a month. Should I be worried, Is this normal? The job requires a secret clearance as well. I'm sure I'll have to fill out a SF-86.

I guess I'm trying to figure out a ballpark or timeline for starting (June, July, Spring, Summer?) since I've got a family, mortgage, auto loans, bills, etc that all require money.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

davey4283 posted:

Ok, I'm trying to figure out a timeline for the hiring process. This is probably an exercise in futility but I figure what the hell.

The Situation: I was offered a tentative offer via email at USMEPCOM in North Chicago as a Software Engineer on a GS12 track. This position was not listed and is under Direct Higher Authority. I created my federal resume and submitted it on 29Feb. The program manager lady said she submitted it to HR(CPAC) and that they would evaluate whether I start as GS-9 or GS-11.

She told me to standby and its almost been a month. Should I be worried, Is this normal? The job requires a secret clearance as well. I'm sure I'll have to fill out a SF-86.

I guess I'm trying to figure out a ballpark or timeline for starting (June, July, Spring, Summer?) since I've got a family, mortgage, auto loans, bills, etc that all require money.
It's probably fine. MEPCOM likely had a pause in hiring due to the Continuing Resolution and limited budget authority; I know my agency had a pause on new external hires and was only onboarding applicants who had previously accepted his or her offer before the CR started. Now that we have an enacted budget that will hopefully get things going again.

For what it's worth, I received a Conditional Offer of Employment in March 2022, completed drug testing and poly in April 2022, and didn't get my Entry on Duty date until June 2023 - a full 15 months from their initial offer. But this is with an Intelligence Community agency, so I'm likely an outlier. Years ago I accepted a contractor position supporting OSD which required a Secret clearance, and I was only twiddling my thumbs for less than a month before I got my interim Secret clearance and could go work on-site.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Wife interviewed for an 8/9 job as an executive secretary, likely as high as she'll ever rise without a degree. Wasn't even interested, but multiple folks in that office basically begged her to apply, implying the job was hers. Interviewed, went great, then they came down to tell her she did great but someone screwed up the announcement and an ineligible person got through, so they have to reopen the announcment.

Her response was the same as mine. Especially when the new announcement was a 120 day temp assignment, open for 2 days.

I told her "if you can't tell them to get hosed, I can"

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. Hopefully it doesn't take too much longer but everyone I've spoken to seems to say the same thing: Just gotta wait it out.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just argued with a caller for twenty fuckin minutes that all they had to do was fill in a single line on a letter with the number from box 5 of their form 1099-SSA and send it back.

Twenty minutes to explain to this guy how to do that.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
So tomorrow I turn all my stuff in for retirement. 32 plus years.

Max your tsp as soon as you can. I have over 2 mil in my tsp plus ira.

Always remember it's just a job.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Hell yeah. Congratulations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Star Man posted:

I just argued with a caller for twenty fuckin minutes that all they had to do was fill in a single line on a letter with the number from box 5 of their form 1099-SSA and send it back.

SSA has a new call/visit tracking system to capture notes from visit to visit and establish a customer history.

I'll have to remember not to curse.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GD_American posted:

SSA has a new call/visit tracking system to capture notes from visit to visit and establish a customer history.

I'll have to remember not to curse.

New? I have to keep notes of every IRS phone call someone makes, and I have a habit of writing a New York Times best selling novel on the account every time.

But this caller had an error on their return that was caught in processing. IRS sent them a letter where all they had to do was fill in a blank line with a number from form SSA-1099 and send the letter back to the IRS. That's it, nothing else. It took twenty minutes to get that through to them.

It was a long afternoon. God please gently caress I want off these phones

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Star Man posted:

"If that's all that was needed, why doesn't the government just do it then?"

(The IRS is intended to have poor processes to justify cutting its funding, allowing the rich to evade taxation)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Honestly, you're right: At this point, it's a job, not a career.

Between the lack of mobility, the hiring freezes, and the inability for pay to keep up with the industry, I have no choice but to get out, and probably won't ever come back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star Man posted:

I once had someone call me to ask if a regulation was something. I opened the book, looked at the paragraph, and they had said it verbatim, so my answer was "yes". They said thank you and hung up.

I still think about that sometimes.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Congrats, man!

I try to keep the “just a job” perspective, myself. I just finished my first week at an advanced lab, and right now I’m definitely getting caught up in the excitement of being surrounded by smart and capable people (and legitimately fitting in as one of them). But the future is never certain. Labs close, missions change, people leave, and things happen. Who knows where I’ll be or how I’ll feel in two years, or five years?

In about nine years, I’ll be 53 years old with 20 years in, which is the first point at which I can qualify for VERA. My general financial goal is to be totally prepared financially to retire, if I should be fortunate enough to be offered VERA at that time. If nothing else, it’s better to have the option and not need it, than to feel stuck and desperate being unhappy. I’ve met too many people in their 50s just miserably trudging in every day and punching the clock because they all have sorry TSPs and otherwise live paycheck to paycheck with lots of debt.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I always feel like I should be maxing out my TSP contribution now, but I'm Mr. GS-06, 07 in late May, and feel like I'm loving myself over with just five percent while I work seventeen hours of overtime per week to pay off two credit cards and rebuild any savings I can.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Star Man posted:

I always feel like I should be maxing out my TSP contribution now, but I'm Mr. GS-06, 07 in late May, and feel like I'm loving myself over with just five percent while I work seventeen hours of overtime per week to pay off two credit cards and rebuild any savings I can.

fwiw, I think it sounds like you’ve got your priorities about right. Put in 5% to get the matching, but by all means focus down high interest debt first, and build an emergency fund. It’s hard enough at GS-7 just to put in 5%. I remember, because I also only did 5% when I was a GS-7. Don’t beat yourself up over it, dude. I didn’t start max contributing until I was a few years into GS-12, and even then that was pretty hard and my friends and co-workers acted like I was a total freak for bringing a lunch everyday and using free furniture from Craigslist. I know you’re actively gunning for promotions. Like, especially if you can grab onto a ladder to 12, just creep up your allocations with each promotion (AFTER getting out of cc debt) and you’ll do fine.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My plan is that once I pay off these cards and get some juice in savings, I'm going to save some more and really start looking into buying a house (and pray Pittsburgh doesn't turn into another Denver) if and when I can fall upwards to an 11 or 12 track job.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Congratulations to Evil SpongeBob, sounds like a well deserved retirement. I recently had to dial back my TSP contribution by a few percentage points because my landlord jacked up the rent again, not happy about that.

Star Man posted:

It was a long afternoon. God please gently caress I want off these phones

I spent most of the 2010's selling cars and that killed off any desire I had to ever get a job again that involves interacting with customers. Hell is other people.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Congrats Evil Spongebob!

I'm on track to retire when I hit MRA assuming the market and/or Congress don't gently caress me over in that time. That is still too far away though

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Star Man posted:

My plan is that once I pay off these cards and get some juice in savings, I'm going to save some more and really start looking into buying a house (and pray Pittsburgh doesn't turn into another Denver) if and when I can fall upwards to an 11 or 12 track job.

Oh, something to keep in mind then, you can borrow 1/2 of your TSP contributions (not matching or growth) up to a max of $50k as a loan for downpayment/closing cost assistance. Maybe technically less than ideal since it does slow your TSP from missing out on market growth while you pay it back, but in my mind, it beats owing the same money to a bank. As an added bonus, the interest you pay on the loan ALSO goes into your TSP account, unlike mortgage interest. It can be nice just to have the flexibility. It could let you move in for true zero out of pocket by covering closing costs with a zero down loan like VA, or like in my case, could get you over the 20% line for downpayment on a conventional to dodge PMI.

It’s also a sort of half-cocked way that you can save for closing/downpayment BY contributing to your TSP.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I once had someone call me to ask if a regulation was something. I opened the book, looked at the paragraph, and they had said it verbatim, so my answer was "yes". They said thank you and hung up.

I still think about that sometimes.

My last year in the Army, I did my taxes in Turbotax, then I actually sat down and did a paper return, and the numbers still didn't look right. Then I noticed Fort Gordon was advertising free tax prep for soldiers, so my wife and I took all our paperwork there, to find a 19 year old E3 AIT medical holdover who had been plopped in front of a laptop with Turbotax on it, and had never filed taxes in his life.

I felt the weirdest combination of smart (I ended up showing him how to use Turbotax) and dumb (because I had been in the Army almost five years, and what the gently caress else were you expecting, dumbass?) that I will never forget.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!
I'm GS-9, 3 years away from PSLF deleting my loans, and I live in the DMV so maxing out the ol' TSP isn't an option right now regrettably. PSLF should coincide, roughly, with some predicted retirements thenabouts though, so hopefully I'll be GS11/12 by what'll be my early 40s, and I should be able to max it at that point. Then it's just kick back and let the next 20+ years roll on by!

Even just the PSLF might be sufficient space to max since I wisely married up and the wife is GS-12 with PSLF'd loans as of last year.

But needless to say I started Day 1 with the 5% match so, ya know, I don't have nothing in there.

Gummy Joe fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 30, 2024

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Thanks all.

One trick I used was to treat my tsp or IRA contribution as a bill. Like utilities. It wasn't 💯 percent true all the time. But it is a little bit different when you think that paying for your retirement is as important as paying for your cell phone or Internet. And, other than paying off debt, should be first in line whenever you get a step or grade increase.

Unfortunately, the best time to invest is in your 20s when small amounts have the time to grow into large ones.

Please ignore the boomerish "just skip your cup of coffee" as I was trying to find good visual charts.

https://money.usnews.com/investing/investing-101/articles/2018-07-23/9-charts-showing-why-you-should-invest-today

Also, Dan Jamison has two great books on federal retirement on Amazon. One for special coverage retirement and one for regular retirement.

The time to learn about retirement isn't when you have 5 years to go, it's when you have 30 to go. For instance, did you know you have to have fehb coverage for 5 years prior to retirement in order to have it in retirement?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Did you max the contribution or just the 5% match?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Obviously you always want the free money from the match, but if you want to get big tsp numbers you need to put in as much money as possible as soon. The lifecycle funds are all sitting at about an 8% return, which doubles in about nine years. You need to give the money as much time to double as possible, contributions can't compare to the power of compound interest. During the time your fund goes from 1 to 2 million you're only making 200k in contributions

But obviously it's a balancing act, you don't want to live like an ascetic your whole life.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Always had at least the match. Pretty sure once I started getting constant overtime, I did the max. I haven't done the max last 2 years because I wanted to increase my cash cushion.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
What is/ Is there any reason that some of the jobs have such a huge wait time before they start reviewing applications? My wife applied for one position and reached out to the contact to find out what the timeline was, and it was something like 6 months before they planned to start interviewing.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I've posted this several times in this thread. When you apply for a fedgov job, hit submit and forget that you applied. If you get called in for an interview, forget that you interviewed as soon as you walk out of the building.

There is no method to the hiring madness you could be anywhere from 30 days to 2 years until you onboard or receive the no thanks email. A lot of times, you won't even get the rejection.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

After I graduated college I applied to roughly 10 jobs a day public & private for about a year. Got maybe 3 interviews, no offers, then the only fedgov interview I got came from a posting I was originally rejected for and had forgotten about but the original selection fell through. Been in that organization for almost ten years now.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Glass of Milk posted:

What is/ Is there any reason that some of the jobs have such a huge wait time before they start reviewing applications? My wife applied for one position and reached out to the contact to find out what the timeline was, and it was something like 6 months before they planned to start interviewing.

Logical reasons? Jobs aimed at new grads can often work like that. They post the job when they get funding for the fiscal year then look at all of the graduating seniors in time to on-board for all of the openings in waves during the summer.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
USCIS is doing an announcement for ISO-1s in Lincoln, NE. It's a 7-9 posting.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Oh my God guys, I'm still waiting on this cpac bullshit. It took them a month to say my fed resume wasn't good enough, and now it's been 2 weeks since my resubmission. I gotta email them again today.

edit: I've decided that when I finally get my offer I'm not even going to bother negotiating and just accept whatever it is. My morale hasn't been this low since I was active duty and i haven't even started yet.

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 15, 2024

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So all remote call sites in the IRS are getting paper return training, and overtime will likely return this summer.

Like hell they're going to kick up our GS grades for adding on to us more labor because the paper processing centers clearly can't handle the work load. It pisses me off enough they're only GS-04 and GS-05.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It's like closing all those submission processing centers may have been a bad idea or something??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Whose fuckin idea was that? Please don't tell me it was Obama's. I'm too new to know the actual answer to that.