Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ghost Cactus posted:

Anyone with creditable military or civilian service toward annual leave ever had their service computation date reviewed?

Last agency granted creditable service for annual leave accrual rate; worked there about two years. Current agency is looking to change the service computation date.

I thought it was permanent after a year with the agency that granted it.

Unless you had a break in service or some other very weird thing during your first year at the appointing agency, which it sounds like you didn't, this OPM guidance seems pretty clear that "Once an employee completes 1 full year of continuous service with the appointing agency, the period of service for which he or she was granted service credit for his or her non-Federal or active duty uniformed service work experience is permanently creditable for the purpose of determining his or her annual leave accrual rate for the duration of the employee's career."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Quorum posted:

Unless you had a break in service or some other very weird thing during your first year at the appointing agency, which it sounds like you didn't, this OPM guidance seems pretty clear that "Once an employee completes 1 full year of continuous service with the appointing agency, the period of service for which he or she was granted service credit for his or her non-Federal or active duty uniformed service work experience is permanently creditable for the purpose of determining his or her annual leave accrual rate for the duration of the employee's career."

Sure didn’t. I need to figure out how to convey that to HR. I’ve sent that same link and tried to explain, but here we are. This also doesn’t seem like a normal audit they run and I’m wondering why I drew the short straw.

I’m concerned about the bureaucratic nightmare of fixing it if/when HR breaks it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Inspectors general often love to hear about stuff like that. OGC too, they exist to keep their parent organizations from being sued.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

That's some crazy poo poo. Definitely don't back down. Are you in a union bargaining unit that you could involve?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Quorum posted:

While true, OPM guidance also states this:

quote:

e. Discovery of an error. The current employing agency must recompute an employee’s Service Computation Date-Leave when an error is discovered. It does not matter when the error was made, who made it, or what information the employee previously received about the credit to which he or she might be entitled.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/data-analysis-documentation/personnel-documentation/processing-personnel-actions/gppa06.pdf

Unless I'm missing something, which is quite possible.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 2, 2024

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Midjack posted:

Inspectors general often love to hear about stuff like that. OGC too, they exist to keep their parent organizations from being sued.

I don’t have a lawyer or a spine!

Thesaurus posted:

That's some crazy poo poo. Definitely don't back down. Are you in a union bargaining unit that you could involve?

Unfortunately, no.

I bet this is it! Thanks for the link. Can’t wait for every new HR person to see my file and recalculate my SCD because they think they’ve discovered an error.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Aside from the obvious of being having a finite lifespan, what are the downsides of a temporary appointment vs a permanent one? "This is a temporary position with a not to exceed date of 12 months and may be extended for up to 1 additional year (24 months of total service)."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ilkhan posted:

Aside from the obvious of being having a finite lifespan, what are the downsides of a temporary appointment vs a permanent one? "This is a temporary position with a not to exceed date of 12 months and may be extended for up to 1 additional year (24 months of total service)."

From working as an NPS seasonal, other than the obvious lack of long-term job security not being a permanent meant that I didn't get to benefit from TSP contributions.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Public Service Recognition Week!

I hope you are all feeling recognized and definitely not getting anything that may cost taxpayers money.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Mayorkas gave us 8 hours and teased something called “You Ask We Deliver” - maybe everyone in dhs is getting an air hockey table

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

wolfs posted:

Mayorkas gave us 8 hours and teased something called “You Ask We Deliver” - maybe everyone in dhs is getting an air hockey table

Everybody gets one genie wish, but beware hubris!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

wolfs posted:

You ask we deliver a pizza party

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
SSA got 3 hours of admin leave on May 10th and 3 hours on May 24th, but in the most SSA move possible we have to call appointments ahead for the day.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
Anyone else ever have an issue where Concur only shows you "non-contract government" flights? I'm about to start traveling for my job and was able to see the government fares just fine as recently as last Wednesday. But ever since Thursday, I always get exactly 100 results no matter what I put in for the times/dates/locations, and all of the flights are listed as "non-contract government", twice or more the price of what I was seeing Wednesday, and flagged as policy violations. (For context, I was getting 190+ results and two other categories when I searched on Wednesday; I don't recall the exact titles, but they were basically "government" and "government with discount".)

I think it's probably an issue with my account and not Concur generally because I checked with a colleague who already had Concur access and she's still able to see government flights just fine. That said, someone else on the team who got their Concur access at about the same time I did is also experiencing the same issue.

I know I can call TDI to schedule the flights, but I'd really like to just fix what's going on with my Concur account so I don't have to do that every time. And now would be the time to do it, because this is the first lull I've had since the start of the year and I'll probably be too busy again soon. But I exhausted all of the standard paths to resolve the issue today and am not sure what to try next.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Just book it at the higher rate? And justify it as "cheapest available". Is what I would do in DTS anyhow, hah.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
Does anyone have guidance about negotiating to maintain your step (step 03) when accepting a new position at a higher grade (g14), even when the offer at Step 1 is a higher salary than you currently receive (Step 3 as a g13) ? This is for an existing federal employee moving within the same agency office. I've read conflicting things online.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Endless Mike posted:

Happy Public Service Recognition Week!

I hope you are all feeling recognized and definitely not getting anything that may cost taxpayers money.

We got a 5k walk/run

But I assume only if it's the day we're in the office. I guess I could ask permission to jog from home?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dominator posted:

Does anyone have guidance about negotiating to maintain your step (step 03) when accepting a new position at a higher grade (g14), even when the offer at Step 1 is a higher salary than you currently receive (Step 3 as a g13) ? This is for an existing federal employee moving within the same agency office. I've read conflicting things online.

Does a higher step get you anything besides more pay?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

dominator posted:

Per the opm two step rule, you're going to need to be at step 4 to promote into step 2 automatically. What you're asking for is a quality step increase in conjunction with a promotion. It's possible but you need a pretty compelling reason to ask for one. Even then it would be borderline unheard of to go higher than one step up that way.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The only time I’ve seen someone get an additional step increase on top of a promotion to a higher gs level was for someone who was step 7 or 8 or something at the lower gs level and her salary increase would’ve been like $0.10/hour or something minuscule like that. So they just bumped her up an additional step from what was technically required so it was an actual pay increase.

The increase from 13 step 3 to 14 step 1 is definitely more than that, so I’d think you would need some very persuasive reasoning.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
god drat it I'm calling out for the second day in a row because I just can't seem to sleep at night

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Star Man posted:

god drat it I'm calling out for the second day in a row because I just can't seem to sleep at night
Now you have to stay awake all day to keep from doing it a third night!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Now you have to stay awake all day to keep from doing it a third night!

That's the plan. No caffeine and just march through the day as long as I can stand to.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
Thanks for the info all, very helpful even if it's not quite what I was hoping to hear.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I sure like working for Mayorkas. He was great over USCIS when he was our head too.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does anyone have any experience with the SF86? My PhD advisor is a foreigner and I have no idea if he counts as a "Foreign Contact." From cursory googling, that section relies on judgment calls more than any other

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the SF86? My PhD advisor is a foreigner and I have no idea if he counts as a "Foreign Contact." From cursory googling, that section relies on judgment calls more than any other

When in doubt, disclose.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Kalman posted:

When in doubt, disclose.

100% this. You're better off having the investigator roll their eyes on something than get asked why you were trying to hide something from Uncle Sam

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Public Service Recognition Week Pizza Party has dropped

I'm not proud, I will have my pizza

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

The Public Service Recognition Week Pizza Party has dropped

I'm not proud, I will have my pizza

Oh yeah, well we just got an email proudly informing us that our agency chair "joined more than 80 other department and agency heads in signing the attached Public Service Recognition Week co-chair letter".

Beat that!

I'd say that I'd want pizza, too, but my boss did that once, and I was obligated to go into the office for it

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 10, 2024

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I died laughing this morning on the briefing about how we're going to handle the generous gift of 3 hours of admin leave from our Benevolent Emperor O'Malley.

- Telework canceled on Friday
- Flextime canceled on Friday
- Must take all the already-scheduled Friday PM appointments early

I told another ex-Army guy "you having mandatory fun flashbacks yet?"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have no idea what we're doing for Public Service week. Nothing from my manager, so I have no idea if we get the same thirty minutes of excused time that we did last year (where we also had to change our phone setting to idle 1, so it wasn't even a real extended lunch).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GD_American posted:

I died laughing this morning on the briefing about how we're going to handle the generous gift of 3 hours of admin leave from our Benevolent Emperor O'Malley.

- Telework canceled on Friday
- Flextime canceled on Friday
- Must take all the already-scheduled Friday PM appointments early

I told another ex-Army guy "you having mandatory fun flashbacks yet?"

drat that sucks, at least in systems (oh, sorry , office of the cio, now) they're kinda bending over backwards as far as like "if you were normally off Friday for alternate work schedule you can take the leave Thursday or Monday, also have another hour to make it 4 even."

SSA has been way way more stingy with this poo poo than even Rick Scott and Ron desantis were in Florida though, which is really fuckin dire. Those guys were/are Titanic assholes of the highest order but even they always gave us an extra day off for free around Christmas+new year+thanksgiving

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Guys

You guys

My IRS call site's engagement committee says we get a whole extra fifteen minutes with our morning fifteen-minite break.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I'm celebrating by looking at the first OPM retirement check deposited into my account April 30. :patriot:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm adding my 8 hours admin leave to my vacation in June. It sucks that you guys get screwed on these.

I wouldn't mind some pizza tbh.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There were donuts. Yay.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

We got an email thanking us for our service. :gbsmith:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
We didn't get anything lol.

We have a summit next week but I think Im going to go camping instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

No acknowledgement that PSRW exists here.
I have four sporadic org/command level emails about it from the last 10 years.