Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I just got offered a software engineer position with usmepcom based in great lakes naval station. They said it's a gs12 track with gs9 or 11 starting depending on how impressive my federal resume is. I'm not really sure what my chances are but here's hoping it works out. Anyone have any insight on that? Also what's vacation like? I heard my 6 years of active duty in usaf counts towards retirement and stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Tell them you have IBS and I think they have to by law.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Hey man, thanks for all of that good info. I got really lucky with the position. The job req wasn't posted on usajobs, they had direct hiring authority. My coding bootcamp is only for vets and they got us a meeting with the hiring managers which was a great opportunity. I'm excited to start my career with the feds and that's great that my mil service adds so many extra perks. I'm not sure which rank they'll give me but even if it's the lower of the two (gs9) the salary's still $66k which is totally fine. I'm also looking forward to that work life balance too. I'm not interested in overtime at all anymore.

It was super weird, they scheduled me for an 'informational meeting' and that was the only interview I had. I also didn't even know what the job description or the job title was when I interviewed for it. I guess I made a good impression though so it worked out.

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 3, 2024

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Ok, I'm trying to figure out a timeline for the hiring process. This is probably an exercise in futility but I figure what the hell.

The Situation: I was offered a tentative offer via email at USMEPCOM in North Chicago as a Software Engineer on a GS12 track. This position was not listed and is under Direct Higher Authority. I created my federal resume and submitted it on 29Feb. The program manager lady said she submitted it to HR(CPAC) and that they would evaluate whether I start as GS-9 or GS-11.

She told me to standby and its almost been a month. Should I be worried, Is this normal? The job requires a secret clearance as well. I'm sure I'll have to fill out a SF-86.

I guess I'm trying to figure out a ballpark or timeline for starting (June, July, Spring, Summer?) since I've got a family, mortgage, auto loans, bills, etc that all require money.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. Hopefully it doesn't take too much longer but everyone I've spoken to seems to say the same thing: Just gotta wait it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Oh my God guys, I'm still waiting on this cpac bullshit. It took them a month to say my fed resume wasn't good enough, and now it's been 2 weeks since my resubmission. I gotta email them again today.

edit: I've decided that when I finally get my offer I'm not even going to bother negotiating and just accept whatever it is. My morale hasn't been this low since I was active duty and i haven't even started yet.

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 15, 2024