Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I will be starting my last year of a BS program and will be turning 22 in December. Some jobs I've been looking at have an age minimum of 23 but will take a long time to get around to seeing my application and hearing back. Can I apply when I'm like 22 and 3 months so that by the time I hear back I'll be 23? Or is there always a chance that they read my application a month after I send it and they instantly throw it out.

Basically does anyone know if age is an instant dequalifier or will they keep it around or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Pompous Rhombus posted:

OTOH, government :rolleyes:

Anyone hear back on the DIA hiring event in DC in Feb yet?

Nope.

On the CIA discussion, I talked to a few school contacts who mostly did Analysis for DIA and they said that the government is slow and there is more competition from people with Master's and stuff trying to get jobs, so if you are serious about intelligence and don't get picked up by CIA/DIA, definitely look into the think tanks(BAE, Booz Allen, Lockheed Martin etc.) as they are more friendly to new graduates.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Xandu posted:

I agree that contracted positions are people's best bet for entry level, but those are not think tanks and think tanks aren't a great way to get initially hired by the government (though they make for a pretty good revolving door).

Disclaimer: This isn't meant to be smarmy at all.

What are they called and what are think tanks then? The ex-DIA guy I talked to called them think tanks so that's what I went with.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

menpoop posted:

When I checked a few days ago my application status on their website was still 'active' and now it's just been completely removed.

Mine still says active. Whether that means I've just yet to be removed or I passed some secret test is unknown, who knows.

Also Xandu thanks for the clarification, my contact said think tank and then in parentheses he had a mixing of contractors and think tanks as you defined them, so there was where the confusion happened. Do you have experience with contractors? I'm looking at a lot of job listings now and there are weird qualifications. For example they'll have junior or college level openings, yet they seem to want 2+ years experience on top of a BS or 0 years experience but a TS clearance. I figure if it says junior or entry level I may as well apply with a strong academic record in a hard science, is this sound or am I wasting time?

Edit: Hmmm, I'll end questions there, it's getting a bit off the USAjobs topic but maybe a few people here are interested.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 19, 2011

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I was talking to a Special Agent with the Secret Service at a career fair; I was a junior at the time. It seems like the SS has a lot more openings and is overall more accessible to applicants, but after chatting him up for 10 minutes or so he said I'd make a great agent and should definitely apply when I graduate. Then before I could even get the words "Internship program" out of my mouth he enthusiastically told me "Don't waste your time with that crap, I've never seen any real students get one of those."

Idk, YMMV but from his comments and in talking to a few people in the Gov't that signed up as career mentors at my Uni, I basically have to accept that I'm gonna have to pay my dues for a few years. Work private sector for a few years before I get a real whiff of the government, unless I happen upon a goldmine. I imagine the same is for everyone else but it's exponentially worse if you want to work in some area of the government that doesn't really affiliate with the private sector too much.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Yea I'm positive I read on the application that you'd hear back by a certain date whether your were accepted or not by e-mail I believe. I forget the date and I'm not sure how close they adhere to that policy, but I'm 98% sure I read that.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Just read that OPM is taking the e-QIP system(electronic system for Clearance questionnaires) down for 4 to 6 weeks.

They will have the manual paper process available but only for Mission Critical Initial Secret clearances...hope no one here is left in the lurch!!

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Hi all I have a close engineering friend who is thinking about applying for a DCMA position and asked me my thoughts as I have some past experience working with them.

I know from my particular work experience that DCMA can be viewed in "a certain light" by those they oversee but what are you gonna do...However, how is DCMA viewed internally by the various end user organizations and other DoD branches? I can imagine they are somewhat stuck in the middle...

He basically doesn't like his current job because his particular department isn't looked upon very highly in his company, so I figured I'd ask about that aspect here.

Based on the convo in the past few posts, maybe no one wants to say anything, but I'd appreciate any advice for him :)

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Hahah yea it was a typo!

Thanks for the inputs. I had more experience with the contract guys and not Engineering, but it sounds like they do a lot of contract stuff anyways. I'll pass this along, thanks again!