Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone ex military get hired through USAjobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I have a South Korean friend who I roomed with for a year in college, who went back to South Korea to server his time in the S. Korean military and it has literally been no big deal as long as you describe it and how often you talk to them.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Opals25 posted:

The biggest thing is there all (obviously) private companies that get contracted into the work. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but they all still require a security clearance for the type of work. If the company wants to offer you a job they need to sponsor your attempt to get a clearance before you can actually do any work which means waiting maybe a year or more with this employee in limbo where at the end of the line if things go badly they may not get to hire you anyways. Its a drawn out process that is avoided by just hiring someone who already has a clearance. Thats how I've always heard it tends to go anyways.

I'm not sure how drawn out it is, isn't. I've had friends with clearances go directly into a contracting job, and it still takes 5-6 months for them to have their clearance brought over. It probably still is a hell of a lot cheaper though.

Question for anyone who knows. Is it seriously common to have GS-9 positions require Master Degrees?

Substitutable education for GS-09 positions: A master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B. or J.D., if related. Qualifying education must be in a major area of study in computer science, information science, information systems management, mathematics, statistics, operations research, or engineering, or course work that required the development or adaptation of computer programs and systems and provided knowledge equivalent to a major in the computer field.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Tyro posted:

Yes, GS-9 positions are basically for those with directly related work experience. A Master's is the way to be considered in lieu of experience, which is one reason I'm in grad school right now.

So if I'm a Veteran with ~8 years of experience in releated fields with a BS degree I should be fine applying?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

CherryCola posted:

Oh man, security clearance is such a pain. I can't remember the dates I worked every pithy little job over the last 10 years. Halp.

edit: A question about foreign contacts. So it says I should list people to whom I am bound by affection, influence and/or obligation. I mean, I have friends...but I wouldn't consider myself "bound" by any of them necessarily. Does that mean I can just totally skip this section?

Do I have to list my Indian ex-boyfriend who I have completely severed? I have no idea what his address is currently and I really don't want to know either.

This is god drat hell for anyone in the military so don't worry too much. Especially now considering we have to put every single TDY over 60 days on there. Location: DESERT, TRAILER OR SOMETHING.

If they are only internet friends I wouldn't worry about it. But if they are someone in real life that you talk to on a semi-regular basis I would put it down.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I went through the federal resume class yesterday that they hold on air force bases. Holy crap... What a nightmare, anything that requires a 50 page book is something else.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone familiar with the PALACE program?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Those jobs that are just listed NATION WIDE. How are you suppose to find any information about them? Some list literally nothing about locations in the states.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Beerdeer posted:

New posting just went up for Immigration Services Officers at the Nebraska Service Center. GS5-9 I think.

Anyone know if this is a sweet job? I do live in Nebraska and have vet status.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Beerdeer posted:

It really is, at the Service Center. No customer interaction, relaxed dress code. Just desk work, pumping out applications. The center is one of the most relaxed places I've ever worked.

Hey do you have an email or something I can send you a few questions on?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

psydude posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is a SSBI? I got a good lead for a contracting job that requires one. I already have a secret clearance so I'm somewhat familiar with the general process.

Depends on how much you went to school and moved and if you know anyone foreign.

Anyone know where I can get the results for an immigration services officer test? I took it last week and they really didn't tell you anything about results or when you'll get them or how.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Wow a federal IT job just opened in the SSA that doesn't require a MS degree...

I can only hope. I applied because I only have a week in the AF left and I claimed vet preference.... Though I haven't got my DD-214 yet...

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Should you seriously put down 5's on everything on the questionnaires? I recently applied for one and got the

"Eligible – Application Not Referred to Selecting Official"

This was with a 5 point vet preference for a simple IT LAN job with a BS degree and 6+ years of experience.

Very depressing, but I couldn't honestly say I was an expert on every single thing on it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Who decides it gets to the "selecting" official? Is it a person or a computer?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
There is like a GS-11 spot for a chaplain in Omaha for the VA? ANY TAKERS?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
The new USAjobs is up.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
There doesn't seem to be a way to exclude job posts that are greater than 30 days.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

grover posted:

Click "Yes".

That is a saved search. Not the same as just being able to see it the old way. The old way was just a separate button to exclude these.

Also it doesn't seem to work. All the postings are now "new" so they haven't been there for more than 30 days.

"Exclude postings for jobs open longer than 30 days

Selecting this option will exclude any jobs in which the posting date is more than 30 days old. You should keep in mind that as a result, continuously open jobs that were posted more than 30 days ago will not be returned in the search results. "

TLG James fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 12, 2011

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

bengy81 posted:

Don't look into the military, if the thought hasn't crossed your mind already, don't let it now, if you do feel like you need to join, check out the joining the military thread in GIP.

Now having said that, if you want to find entry level positions, just make an advanced search and limit the paygrade to max GS-7, that should cover what is considered entry level.

Why not look into the guard or reserves?

Then you get the training/experience and you get to stay close to home, minus a few deployments here and there.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Admiral BJ posted:

Woohoo! Got a job as a Forestry Technician working at Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Only a 6 month, 1039 job, but still pretty pumped to work at the most visited National Park in the country.

What do that job really entail?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Bellum posted:

What can you get with a TS clearance and no work experience?

I think you'd be better off trying with clearancejobs.

While I was job hunting, I did occasionally see stuff like TS clearance needed for ID badge makers at Northrup and stuff like that.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Vets can pretty much apply for everything, right?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Mugaaz posted:

I'm looking for network engineering jobs on USAJOBs and having some trouble understanding their experience requirements. The jobs I'm looking at range from GS9-GS11. I THINK I meet the experience requirement, but some of them list the Requirement for GS-X as having a GS-X minus 1 job for over a year, which doesn't help me at all.

Basically I have 5 years IT experience, with 1.5 of that being Networking, with a 2 year degree and professional level certifications, can someone guess as to what that would be on the GS level?

Good luck man. I had 8 years of IT experience with 30% disability rating in the military and I couldn't even get a windows admin position INTERVIEW. I however got offered 2 jobs contracting with the DoD or the TSA in computer spots with minimal interviews...

I just don't understand.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

CeramicPig posted:

I've looked and applied at bunches of jobs on USA jobs for about a year now but most jobs seem to require training or certification in something specific (understandably). Is there anything someone with an education degree can do? If I could teach on an army base domestic or abroad I would be so down for that, I just don't know where to look for that, unless I'm not looking in the right places.

I don't think they're on USAjobs. Try http://www.dodea.edu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Pillowpants posted:

In 12 days we hit the Debt Ceiling. If we do that while the Government is shut down, all hell will break loose.

WIC ic closed. Elder affairs is facing dramatic cuts. Veterans benefits aren't going out past a few weeks. E-verify is down so people might not be able to get food stamps or guns or mortgages or jobs. We're in a terrible situation right now. You need to care. Please care.

Everywhere I've read said VA benefits are funded a year out.