Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Kase Im Licht posted:

Where did you get that info?

Minimum 101? How do you get over 100? Be a vet? If so, why aren't those marked vets only?

This poo poo is depressing.

Was in the email HR sent about 12 hours after the first one, where they just regurgitated your score without explanation.

Gravel Gravy posted:

No actually and my more literate employee have decided that it is a kite that rains pixie dust on you that fixes injuries. (Back story, got myself a nasty gash cleaning stuff and there wasn't a first aid kit in the store.)GUESS WHO JUST SOLVED THE HEALTHCARE PROBLEM IN THE US!

I will be honest with any of my embittered peers though, I am getting there. I've an education that leaves me little other opportunities for any other employment. And the job application I sent in September culminated in an interview for a courier position with the DoD that would have put me on a good path. Instead they gave it to some 55+ y/o guy. So much for that entry level program too.

Keep your options open is what I am saying. Also, Human Resources is the scum of the earth.

Whoa, congrats on the courier interview! I was referred to the hiring official but didn't make it through the QEP (sadly, this is the best I've done at anything so far). Can you talk more about the interview and stuff or did you have to sign an NDA?

Edit: whoops, mine was with the DoS. Still, be interested to hear about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Anyone taken the Border Patrol exam? I'm scheduled for the 29th of October, study guide is supposed to come in the next week or so.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
They told me to put down everyone and explain the contact/relationship, and let the investigator decide what's relevant.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tyro posted:

Heh. Not looking forward to that process if I get an internship this summer. 30% of my classmates are international.

I spent about 3 years of undergrad overseas.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tyro posted:

Ouch.

Are you doing DIA or one of the other ones that require a TS? Just a regular SECRET isn't all that bad; they'll ask where you've been but they don't really seem to follow up on any of it at that level. I think it's probably like a background/credit check and basic look to see if your story lines up with what they can easily check it against. For example, the guy asked me for the names and contact info of my foreign roommates (had like 9 or 10) from 2004-2005 and didn't seem too fussed that I couldn't find info for a lot of them.

TS and above they do take a lot more time with. I'm staying at a friend's place in Vancouver for the week right now, and he's a little amused that some US government guy might show up and ask him questions about me someday.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Eddain posted:

I started working for TSA like a month ago. Everything about the hiring process is easy (tests, interviews) but it can take a ridiculously long time to actually get hired.

How long did it take for you? I've been thinking about applying for some random podunk town in Alaska or out west if/when I exhaust my more college-degree-y type options.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Eddain posted:

I sent in my application late March and was hired mid August.

That actually seems lightning fast compared to a lot of these jobs :v: By hired do you mean started working and getting paid, or just got a confirmed, written offer?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sundae posted:

:lol:

I sent an e-mail to the HR rep asking whether the agency reimbursed interview travel expenses, and received back both a 'no' and an interview cancellation.

I guess they don't much care for applicants asking questions.

Haha, holy poo poo, gently caress this job market.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I just applied for a TSA (TSO) job, waiting to be scheduled for the test.

Anyone have any suggestions/info about those rear end-end of nowhere towns in Alaska? Might as well turn this poo poo into an adventure. Apparently Adak only gets two flights a week...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

chuchumeister posted:

Didn't get the job. I think I'm just going to go back to school. :sigh: I only graduated undergrad in May, and I don't have much relevant experience, so I shouldn't have expected much but... a girl can dream.

Speaking of, I know veterans get preference but I wonder if they've been out of the service for a while, does the hiring agency assume their technical skills have degraded, maybe even to the point of being ineligible for the position? I found a job that I reasonably think my boyfriend could apply for but he hasn't been on active duty since 2002. He went to college after, and has been managing a bar since so it's not like he's been working in related fields. 8 years is a long time...

Yeah, it's just that up until a few years ago, employers used to be willing to train new college graduates. Now it's more the norm to expect them to have that experience already (working for free as an intern) or to have a graduate degree. It sucks and we're just contributing more to the inflated expectations by going to grad school as a response, but I've got a couple blank applications on my desk right now, even though I have zero desire/interest to go back to school right now. OTOH, I have negative desire to keep working my lovely $11/hr + no benefits job and living in Tampa, sooo

IIRC the veteran's preference thing isn't related to their skills at all, just the fact that they served and were honorably discharged (KSA's or whatever are another story). Dunno if there's an expiration date on it, although my guess would be that there isn't. If he got out in 2002 I suppose that would mean his clearance, if he had one, has lapsed.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 16, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Nessus posted:

Any/all grads? When they came to my school in Houston they were quite open that they were only really interested in native speakers of foreign tongues.

There are plenty of jobs with the CIA that don't require foreign language proficiency. Native speakers are also a lot more likely to have issues obtaining a clearance.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Monocular posted:

I graduated almost a year ago in International Studies: Global Commons and Environment (think poly-sci plus environmental studies) from UW Madison. I haven't been able to find a job in my major, and I've since been working as a waiter.

I took four years of Modern Standard Arabic and one semester of Sudanese Arabic, and I kind of figured that would land me a job somehow. Naive, I know. Turns out that people--especially USAJobs-- want fluency, and I'm not fluent. I was never able to study abroad because none of the courses offered contributed any credits to my major, so it basically would have been an expensive vacation I wouldn't have been able to afford anyway. I still have retained a great deal of the language and feel it would be easy to pick back up what I have lost, so what I am wondering is this: are there any government-sponsored programs/internships that could send me over to the Middle East?

As a non-student, it's hard (graduating was the worst mistake I ever made :v:). Hell, even as a student, they're very competitive. I'm not saying there isn't anything, but here's another suggestion:

If you're okay with doing the non-government work, I would look in to bilateral organizations, and with the governments of various Arabic-speaking countries themselves for scholarships. I don't have any experience in the Middle East, but I know that Japan, China, and Indonesia all have government-sponsored scholarships for foreign students to come and study the language, and there are a few from bilateral organizations as well. As a student, my sister did a summer program in Indonesia that was heavily subsidized by a US-Indonesian bilateral organization. I imagine there would be similar opportunities in the Middle East, if not more.

You could also look in to NGO's, or teaching English. Most English teachers abroad generally don't do well at picking up the language (have to use English in class, tend to associate with other foreigners in off-hours, don't have the time/energy/motivation to self-study), but it's not impossible. There's nothing in the way of scholarships for Thailand I'm eligible for and have a chance at, so I may do the NGO or English teacher thing to get my Thai back up to par, and just generally get out of the treading-water-and-slowly-sinking situation here in the US that sounds pretty similar to yours.

Actually going to be applying for UW Madison's Southeast Asian Studies master's program and hope I can get funding. I'm not terribly enthusiastic about the idea of going back to school in general, but if I don't have to go into debt for it and I get to study something interesting (not to mention, having a lot of cool gov't opportunities re-open for me), there are worse things to do.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Passed the TSA exam this afternoon, had a contingent offer waiting in my Gmail inbox when I got home :toot:

Still not sure I'm going to take it (position is part-time, not sure if it'll count towards my service obligation, and I've got other applications pending), but it's nice not to be rejected for once. Just this morning I got an e-mail saying my qualifications hadn't even been looked at for a job in the middle of nowhere, Wyoming because of veterans.

Saipan, here I come?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Professor Snow posted:

You are a boren scholar, right? I think anything in DHS counts for service, pretty much.

Yeah, I had some concerns because from the wording of the agreement they make it sound like they want you doing something related to your degree, preferably with your language, but I talked with my liaison guy this afternoon and he said it'd be fine. The catch is that how much credit I get will be contingent on how many hours I'm working, since it's part-time position. I e-mailed TSA to see when/how I could get in contact with the airport officials and get a ballpark of how many hours I could expect there as the new guy. If it's 16/week or something I'm probably going to have to look for another post, but 20+ would be workable (20 hours would give me 50% credit, so I'd be done in 18 months), and 30 would be amazing (same credit as working full time) but I'm not holding my breath on that one. The bigger paycheck would be nice, but it's kind of secondary to getting the Boren monkey off my back.

Eddain, any comments?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I just got back from the Border Patrol Exam exam. It wasn't hard, but I definitely recommend working through the study guide at least once. The Artificial Language section seemed a little easier on the actual test, but I'm not sure if that's just from practicing on the other one, or because the vocab was a bit closer to the Latin/Spanish roots than in the practice materials. Definitely helps to think of it as pseudo-Spanish, if you've had a year or two of Spanish before.

Also, smooth move booking the conference room right across the hall from where they were doing major construction/renovations to the hotel :v:

CherryCola posted:

I guess my lady is actually a contractor with the DIA, so maybe that's a good thing? I was really pleasantly surprised because she was incredibly friendly and made me really at ease during the whole interview. I was afraid it was going to be some serious-business, scary dude in a suite and sunglasses.

I thought they were all hardasses; mine was a serious-business guy in a suit :smith:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Homie S posted:

hhahahahah this is JUST the beginning.

I want to think that when they booked it, they had no idea the hotel would be being renovated on the test date. Want to think...

I got my results today by e-mail, a 96. The proctor said 4-6 weeks and they'd be notifying by snail mail, but all told I took the exam Friday morning, received a confirmation that they had my test Monday, and got my results by e-mail this afternoon. That's a reassuring sign, at least. Hopefully I'm not going to get boned by people with both veteran's preference and a good head on their shoulders. It wasn't that bad of an exam, but certainly wasn't as easy as the TSA one.

Working on the 100 pushups and 200 sit-ups programs to make sure I'm in shape for the physical. Glad I've at least got the running part down pat.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ramms+ein posted:

Fellow Boren scholar here who starts working for TSA next Monday. I too had the contingent offer waiting in my inbox before I got home from the exam, when I initially applied in October 2009. It took a loving year to get hired. So I would suggest finding something else since they take loving forever to hire. Have you tried Geospatial Intelligence Agency? They are the only other ones that ever offered me an interview which didn't go too well since I failed to bring a copy of my resume and for some reason they had zero information on me going into the interview. I know people with less qualifications than me, no language ability whatsoever who have been hired DIA so that's a possibility too.

I talked to someone who was associated with my internship and that had had a Boren Fellowship. He got a job through State just by cold calling/contacting people and telling them he had Schedule A clearance and would like an informational interview, but it actually got him a real interview and has since been hired. That's what I plan on doing after I finish grad school applications. Although he had a Masters degree so perhaps that was the key to his success, but I know I speak better Arabic than him.

Awww, crap. Can you tell me a bit more about the airport interview phase of the process? Do they give you a chance to talk with the TSA people at the airport before you schedule the interview? It'd be a hell of an investment/risk to fly out there (for a part-time job no less) just for an interview, but if they can guarantee enough hours per week and there isn't a big pool of other applicants, I might consider it if everything else looks grim. Although a year, gently caress. From what I'd seen it looked like 6-8 months, a year for a part-time xray dude job seems unworkable for me. Would probably just join the Army or something at that point.

edit: e86 just showed up in my inbox for TSA :sigh:

I tried applying for the DIA's scholarship/fellowship program last year and was told they had more qualified applicants. It was an entry-level program so I felt pretty discouraged, didn't even bother applying again this year. I've checked their website from time to time for postings but I haven't really found much I'd be qualified for without a Master's or prior military experience. Didn't even get invited to their hiring fair at CENTCOM.

I found a job posting on Monster for a contractor who works for Geospatial that's looking for Thai speakers, I'm converting my resume to private-sector and sending them a cover letter by next week. It's really the only Thai-related job with the government (sort of) I've found since I started looking 2+ years ago, but I don't have a certification for my reading/writing ability, nor have I been able to find out if one even exists. If they ask me to do another bullshit OPI over the phone for a job that is reading-only, I'm going to scream.

I'm going the cold-contacting route with the embassies in Thailand/Laos after the Geospatial thing goes out, but I figure my chances are somewhere in the "snowball in hell" range, even though I have an active clearance with State. I don't know anybody on the inside who could put in the good word for me, and "cushy embassy job" is pretty much the expat holy grail over there, even though I'm pretty much willing to work for free at this point. Can't really think of anywhere else, for Thai at least.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 3, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ramms+ein posted:

My process may have been longer because I initially applied for Dulles when I wanted Reagan, but I was told I could switch to Reagan no problem while in the process. I only saw the Dulles opening initially. They gave me the choice between morning shift which is only 20 hours or the afternoon shift which is 25 hours, approx. 12-6 which is what I chose. If you got a Boren, I assume you are a halfway intelligent human being and can pass the interview. It's basic stuff, I didn't do any preparation and I'm generally terrible at interviews and they thought I was brilliant. You can talk with a HR person before hand but if you are really desperate and they can give you a quick time frame for being hired, I'd fly out. To be honest there will be a massive time gap between when you fill out the e86, do the medical and then actually have the interview. I would just go along with the process and if something better comes along, take it, but in the mean time, you have this. The interview involves a color vision test, finger printing and paperwork, then the interview. It's basic stuff like, have you ever had a problem at a previous job with a coworker and how did you resolve it.

That's awesome news, from the timeline on the TSA dashboard thing it made it look like the interview would be the next step and I'd have to make the decision soon. If I've got a few months like you said then waiting it out while applying for other stuff sounds good. From level of the SAB I feel pretty good about my chances of passing the interview as well, but the flight is $1700 so it's not something I want to do unless things look really good (and really bad with everything else). My biggest concern is the color vision test because I am a little bit color blind. It's not major AFAIK, but getting to do that part before the interview would be nice. You have to pay for the physical out of pocket, don't you?

quote:

That's absurd you didn't get invited to their hiring fair at CENTCOM. This girl got hired, worse GPA than me. No Boren, 3 months of Arabic abroad and not very much work experience. I don't understand how she got in but I had asked her and basically this is what she said,

:words:

It may have been my lack of Arabic or another highly "strategic" language, although from what I gathered the interviews weren't just CENTCOM openings, but nationwide. I think the DIA has some demand for Thai because I see it listed as one of the languages they're interested in for their student internships, but eh. It's even more useless in the private sector.

I'll definitely give Geospatial a go, I don't have any experience with that software or anything, but geography has always been my strongest subject, and I've done some work on a maps-based education project at my current job. When my boss gets back in to the office I'm going to ask him for some help in playing that aspect of it up in my cover letter.

quote:

Have you thought about Secret Service? I applied for Uniformed Division, the test was a joke, but my vision is poo poo and I didn't want to get LASIK for a job I have zero interest in. But if your vision is good, apply for both Uniformed and Special Agent. You have to take a test for Special Agent as well which is probably harder but the Uniformed one was a joke if you were evenly mildly sentient.

Have you taken the FSOT? I passed the Written and am doing my Personal Narratives now. We'll see how that goes, not holding my breath, but it's worth a shot. I did zero studying for the Written and passed it, it's not really difficult. If you do take it, pick the highest possible thing for all the biographical questions and I assume you can do well on the English section, essay and non management general knowledge questions.

Like you I really have zero interest in the Secret Service, but I'll give applying for them a go. My vision isn't perfect, but it sounds like I'd probably be okay (I don't wear glasses/contacts unless I'm driving, and even then I really only feel like I need them at night). Most of what they do is anti-counterfeiting, isn't it?

I was going to take the FSOT on the last go around, but I was visiting a friend in Vancouver during that week and decided it'd be better to put it off until February. I used to want to be an FSO as my dream career, but given my education and work experience I doubt I'd even be invited to the Orals, let alone pass them. I kind of have my doubts as to whether I'd really enjoy it after reading a lot of the FSO thread here (an excellent resource either way), but I'm applying anyways.

quote:

Anyways, Good Luck. I had a hell of a time my year abroad but I often doubt whether I should have taken this scholarship or not had I known it was going to be this difficult.

This. If any of you are considering the Boren scholarship, keep in mind you're going to have to put your life on semi-hold while you look for one of these government jobs. Expect to wait months to hear if they've even looked over your application, not to get interviews, and no help from Schedule A really unless you know somebody or have some exceptional, in-demand skill. I can't say that I regret doing it 100%, but it's not the clear win-win that I originally made it out to be.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ramms+ein posted:

They do the credit check and verify all the information for the credit check then you are invited to the interview which, like I said, takes several months. How bad is your color blindness? The color test takes place the same day as the interview, but it's one of the first things they do. They give you these little black cylindrical pieces that have a different color on the top of each of them. So you start off with a dark blue one and then you are supposed to put the next closest color from the pile next to the previous one until you have a long row of these black pieces that go across the color spectrum. They pay for the physical, they give you a list of affiliated medical places and you just set up an appointment with the nearest one. Physical is super easy, they just make you lift up a heavy crate and flex around with it a bit in addition to piss test and the other routine things.

Which airport are you applying for by the way? Another benefit, you do get a Secret security clearance so hopefully I can start applying for jobs where you need one of those. I know they have whole websites devoted for jobs that people are security cleared.

They claim you don't need any GIS experience but anything you can claim that is even remotely similar could be beneficial in the interview. You go through extensive training period where they teach you all this anyways. They don't seem heavily dependent on language ability but you should know about current events/world affairs, they asked me in the interview to mention the three most important events of the past year and explain one in depth.

I can probably handle that, there's always one of those ones with the circles that form a shape that give me a lot of trouble though. I applied at Saipan, so it's a huge pain in the rear end to go there for the interview. There's nothing particularly close to me, although admittedly something like North Dakota wouldn't be quite the arm and leg that a ticket to Saipan would cost me.

I've actually got a Secret already but it's through State. I e-mailed HR about it as soon as I got the contingent offer and they said TSA doesn't recognize other agencies' clearances, so I'm back to square one with them. I gather that's a pretty common occurrence, it makes me wonder how useful clearances really are if they're only valid at the agency you obtained them from.

Where'd you find the GIS position you applied for? I just checked on NGA's site and they only had a few postings up, but when I clicked on the hiring event it mentioned they were interviewing for a ton more. Closing date is today and I'm probably not going to splurge on a round trip to Las Cruces (wtf) in December just for the privilege of attending a crowded-rear end hiring event. The contractor one I found through Monster disappeared a couple days ago :saddowns:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ramms+ein posted:

Apply for the hiring event. You go there and it's just the interview so it's not like a normal job fair where you are milling around a crowded-rear end event and may not even get an interview out of it. Boren sent out an email about the New Mexico one and said you could do a Skype interview. Wish I had known that before I flew out to St. Louis for the one I went to.

CherryCola posted:

Hey, I got hired through a "hiring event" and all I did was submit an online app and then do a skype interview a couple months later. <3NGA<3

Sheeeeit, closed now. Think I should bother putting it in the "Future Needs Resume Repository"? Can't hurt, I guess.

And apparently I applied for the Special Agent with the Secret Service months ago; realized I got a Change in Application status e-mail last week. They're now reviewing the resumes :ughh:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Many agencies can't start processing applicants until they get the number of new hires for the upcoming fiscal year. I read somewhere that the selection rate for 1811 series jobs is around 10%, so have a backup plan.

If anything, the 1811 is a back-up plan (actually one of many) :v: I remember someone in the thread saying not too long ago that the 1811 positions are pretty coveted, so yeah, I'm not holding my breath on that one.

|Ziggy| posted:

I applied for something a month or so ago and the application status has been, "Application Referred to Selecting Official" for almost a month. Will I never hear back one way or the other?

I'm applying to a lot of things, this just happens to be the first time it has been something better than "Application received."

It means you've met the minimum qualifications, so now (presumably) a human being is looking it over and seeing how it compares against the qualifications of the other applicants. This stage also can take forever.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Brose posted:

Not sure if this was covered yet but I recently (about a month ago) applied for an IRS position, faxed my transcripts and all that good stuff. Should I give up hope or does the government take as long as I imagine them to do this sort of thing and I just have to remain patient?

You can contact HR and check up on it, but yeah, compared to something in the private sector the government's hiring process normally operates on a geological timescale.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Happydayz posted:

it's also worth pointing out that we are under continuing resolution authority until Congress passes a budget, which under this climate might push well into March. In other words - most of the federal government won't be able to make any offers and on-board new hires for several months.

UGH

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

grover posted:

Obama just announced a 2-year federal civilian employee pay freeze :( My real-world income has decreased every year since 2006, which really sucks; my salary has increased tiny amount each year, but taxes and insurance have gone up much faster; my allotments are smaller and smaller every year. "Deflation" my rear end!

Just to be certain, this doesn't include stuff like automatic promotions to the next GS grade, right?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

quote:

"I welcome President Obama's announcement, and hope he will build on it by embracing much-needed steps to reduce both the size and the cost of government, including the net federal hiring freeze Republicans propose in our Pledge to America," said soon-to-be House Speaker John Boehner in a statement. "Without a hiring freeze, a pay freeze won't do much to rein in a federal bureaucracy that added hundreds of thousands of employees to its payroll over the last two years while the private sector shed millions of jobs. Today's action is a clear indication that the Pledge to America, which lays out concrete steps to cut spending and reduce the size of government, is the right plan to address the people's priorities."

After Obama throws Republicans yet another bone (the middle class under the bus, again) at little prompting, Boehner's first breath is to say that it doesn't go far enough and what we really need is a federal hiring freeze.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 1, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

CherryCola posted:

Hey, I got hired through a "hiring event" and all I did was submit an online app and then do a skype interview a couple months later. <3NGA<3

From a while back, just wanted to double-check: so you applied for one of their hiring events in whatever city (the current one is Denver) and were able to do a Skype interview?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

CherryCola posted:

Yup! I still haven't actually talked face to face with anyone from the NGA (well, unless you count the video interview on skype) I think it's a pretty new thing that they're started doing, but it worked for me!

Great, going to put my application in this week!

Heard through the grapevine that CBP isn't scheduling any applicants for medical/fitness tests until the budget thing gets sorted. Still no word on an Oral Board, been over a month now :sigh:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

CheerGrrl92 posted:

How do you guys think a MPA holds up when applying for federal jobs? I am about to graduate in a year, and I am reading that master's degrees in general aren't worth it..

Actually there are a ton of jobs that require a Master's degrees. At the least, it can usually bump you up to a higher pay band.

Skandiaavity posted:

Adjudication?

Mine's been in adjudication for a little over 3 years. I hope this helps. Granted, my situation is a special case and it's probably unlikely you're in the same boat.

But DOHA will notify your ISO (at NGA) or yourself directly for more information soon. [within the few months]

With the infosec thing going around on Wikileaks, though. Heh.

Holy poo poo, did you kill a diplomat or something?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

Welp, got denied for that DoD gig. Its become so typical they like me enough to bring me in to interview, test or whatever, then my file goes to HR and I hit a brick wall. The interviews went well, the tests went well. I know a critical foreign language, studied abroad, I even live in the area,but it seems without any sort of preference that just ain't enough.

Yeah, I'm bitching and moaning, and I still have that contractor or police position to look forward to. Just sucks to get so close.

Better luck next year :toot:.

Was that the courier one? If it's any consolation my Schedule A preference is pretty worthless without a good-ol'-boys connection :smith:

As a general thing, I got a reply back from the Border Patrol this morning that they're dragging their feet on processing people for tentative offers because they don't have a budget yet (been a month and a half since I passed the test). Might be a similar situation at other agencies too.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 15, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

CherryCola posted:

Is there a difference between a tentative and a conditional offer? I read that a conditional offer is more certain and I realized that's what I have. Just never really thought about the terminology.

As far as Border Patrol is concerned, it's something like that. You get a TO once they process your written exam scores and decide to go further with you, but you still have the fitness tests, Oral Board (!), medical clearance, and background investigation remaining before you putter around for months waiting to be called about reporting for the Academy.

Since it precedes the actual interview I don't put a lot of stock in the strength of a "tentative offer", but it's better than nothin' :kiddo:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

gmilo posted:

How do you find this out? And if you don't have law enforcement/military experience are you SOL on these types of positions?

It's quite possible to be hired without military/LEO experience. Waiting to be scheduled for an interview with Border Patrol at the moment.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

IndyPunkOne posted:

Might have also had something to do with this?

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/1210/122710ts1.htm

Holy poo poo.

From the executive order:

quote:

Sec. 8. Prior Executive Orders. (a) Effective March 1, 2011, Executive Order 13162 (Federal Career Intern Program) is superseded and revoked. Any individuals serving in appointments under that order on March 1, 2011, shall be converted to the competitive service, effective on that date, with no loss of pay or benefits.

Didn't see anything about a hard deadline for having the new Pathways system up and running. God damnit.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Happydayz posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/28/AR2010122804257.html

hiring managers loved it because it shortened the hiring process. Labor leaders hated it because it because it allowed for more managerial discretion (or favoritism)

Yeah, according to the new guidelines mentioned in that article the hiring process is supposed to be shortened to 80 days, although who knows how long that will take or if it ever will be implemented. Meanwhile, I don't really buy that FCIP was a major source of nepotism; the Border Patrol FCIP program I applied for was right there on USAJobs, and the other DHS program was out in plain view on their website.

A year ago I would have been really optimistic about this, but as someone who is twelve months out of college it really couldn't have come at a worse time. I have several active applications with the FCIP that are probably going to be thrown into limbo, and by the time the new system with the Recent Graduates program is up and running I likely won't qualify for it anymore. I'm not sure how being outside those hiring programs will effect my job hunt with the government, but I can't see it helping :-\

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

Hrm. I'm an FCIP, due to convert in July and go up to a GS12. So how is that going to work?

From the order, I assume you'll convert in March, and become a GS-12 in July.

psydude posted:

Yeah, I'll figure something out, but it's just highly frustrating and inconvenient because I pretty much already had one job offer locked down with another two on the way and now I have to look to the private sector. Any organization that seeks a profit is automatically a thousand times more of a pain in the rear end to apply to.

I think you've got it backwards, I can't think of any private company that is as much of a pain in the rear end to apply to as a federal government job.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

psydude posted:

The federal government is just loving slow. Otherwise they have a centralized application website and once you get set up it's really easy to apply to poo poo, even if you're doing it through email (a la FCIP).

Every private company you apply to has a different application process, different requirements (for similar positions), and can take anywhere from 2 days to 2 months to respond.

Now, if you're applying to an intelligence agency then holy poo poo yeah it's a pain in the rear end.

Not really so centralized as you think: I applied for the DHS Acquisition Professional FCIP through their website (no posting on USA Jobs), and many of the agencies who post positions on USAJobs use it as a shell to funnel you into their own proprietary application submission system, which requires you to set up a new account, reformat your resume to yet another standard, and sit around for months until someone deigns to send you a form rejection with no helpful criticism. For many of the jobs I'm looking at, an application timeline of a year or more isn't at all unusual; add in the various tests, interviews, etc spaced out by months apiece (not to mention clearance investigations) and I'll take private sector any day of the week.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

JacksLibido posted:

Anybody have any info on being an FBI or CIA agent? I've been reading up on some of the career paths but they don't really say what it's like day to day.

I'm a 1Lt in the Air Force, an Electronic Warfare Officer flying on a communications jamming platform, I have a TS/SCI, a BA in Bus. Economics and will be starting a masters soon but don't know in what.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

NSA might be interested in you, too.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

That always confused me about the FBI. CIA/DoD/DoS, etc. etc say that you need at least one year between your clearance and any drug use, but the FBI has three. Although I imagine that the FBI's function as a law enforcement agency has something to do with that.

They used to be even more restrictive, but had to liberalize it because they were disqualifying too many applicants. I wouldn't be surprised if the DEA had a similar policy.

Also, for those of you considering the FBI (and maybe some other agencies as well), you should consider not downloading :filez: anymore as well. Not every agency cares about it, but some do.

Mad prepping for the Diplomatic Security BEX next Thursday.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

Is that the test everyone received a call for back in October that I missed because I was making chili? I e-mailed those bastards about receiving another call to schedule it and I was just told to be patient.

Guess who never received another call!

Yep, that's the one.

Kase Im Licht posted:

PR, what are you doing to prep for the BEX?

I read through a 230 page thread on officer.com and took notes on the stuff that looked most relevant (signal/noise ratio is terrible, but still wound up with several pages worth), consolidating/organizing that and writing out everything from my past experience I could spin to put me in a positive light. Grabbed the 13D's from the FSO exam and working on finding ways to potentially get that across to the interviewers as well. I read through this book on DSS anti-terrorism and took notes on it too (it's an interesting subject in its own right but gets bogged down by the author's need to make it read like a Tom Clancy/dadfiction novel.) Have been listening to the audio version of The Economist at work, and going through the Cliff's Notes American Government to make sure none of the civics stuff trips me up. Also have the questions and my answers for another DoS position I applied for last year, which I'm reviewing and seeing if I can find a way to put myself in a better light.

I don't rate my chances really high for the position, but I at least want to go down swinging.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

psydude posted:

Has anyone heard exactly what the timeline for the implementation of the new hiring programs is? I spoke with someone who works with the OPM and she said it was up to the individual agencies, but I'm guessing there's a no later than date, too.

From the executive order, I didn't see any deadline to set it up, just a concrete end for the FCIP in March 2011.

I emailed HR at CBP and they gave me a boilerplate "we'll let you know when we know".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
OTOH, government :rolleyes:

Anyone hear back on the DIA hiring event in DC in Feb yet?