Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

pmchem posted:

To help people reading this subforum, are there any (nationwide) businesses providing special deals or benefits to furloughed feds if there's a shutdown? Or other things people should know?

My agency's (LOC) credit union is offering interest-free loans to members, which I've made aware to some of my newer-to-the-workforce colleagues who might be strapped for cash if this thing runs particularly long. Might be worth seeing if something like that is available in your agency's case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

My agency/division/section has certainly been making it known that it's gonna be a lean year budet-wise even if/when we get one, hiring is definitely gonna be difficult this FY.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Oh for those old-fashioned shutdowns of yore, not these hip new ones that only happen over weekends when nobody'll notice.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

I'm GS-9, 3 years away from PSLF deleting my loans, and I live in the DMV so maxing out the ol' TSP isn't an option right now regrettably. PSLF should coincide, roughly, with some predicted retirements thenabouts though, so hopefully I'll be GS11/12 by what'll be my early 40s, and I should be able to max it at that point. Then it's just kick back and let the next 20+ years roll on by!

Even just the PSLF might be sufficient space to max since I wisely married up and the wife is GS-12 with PSLF'd loans as of last year.

But needless to say I started Day 1 with the 5% match so, ya know, I don't have nothing in there.

Gummy Joe fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 30, 2024