Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Happy New Fiscal Year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

I just applied for a GS-3 job (promotion potential to 5!). I'm currently a 12...

Relocating for wife's job and trying to hedge my bets in case transfer request falls through. I'm just applying to any and all Fed positions in the area.

The sad part is that the gs 3 position sounds kinda fun but I guarantee I won't even hear back on it :(

Edit: lmao just remembered that it's also temporary/part time

I guess you keep your years of service going but geez, that's a hell of a bust down.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Deeters posted:

I knew it since i wasn't working either. I just thought it was funny that an automatically generated email would be delayed.

Computer probably crashed over the weekend and nobody restarted it until today.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Evil SpongeBob posted:

At least do 5%. Never toss away free money. Always throw your cola and your WGI (at least some of it) into additional TSP until it hurts.

If they give you a percentage contribution option consider it rather than a specific dollar amount, your contributions will automatically rise in proportion with your raises.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AndrewP posted:

Speaking of TSP, what's the latest on the pay freeze situation? I was hoping on shoveling it all (+ step increase) into my TSP to finally max it out.

Supposedly happening but not official yet, last I heard.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spacewolf posted:

What happened?

We get Wednesday for President Bush.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sexy tiger boobs posted:

we get days off when presidents die eh? Hmmmmm

Only when they're respected.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 2, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sullat posted:

Hope I'm not essential. Says the agency head can make people come in if needed.

That's true to an extent for every government closure, whether it's caused by funding, weather, or anything else. The "essential" designation is usually somewhat formal and if you're not sure you are then you likely aren't, but check with your bossmasters before you no-show.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

Any bets on whether we'll get off Monday Dec 24?

Looks like a decent array of past administrations have given xmas eve off when it falls on Monday.

Given that we're getting Wednesday for the President I doubt we'll get a freebie for Christmas or New Year's.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slig posted:

The government desperately needs good people and if good people don't keep throwing themselves into the process, we'll only get worse.

We're beyond the tipping point, if you're good at all go work anywhere else and let the United States sink to the bottom of the gutter with the rest of the garbage.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lady Bureaucrazy posted:

Hours is the smart choice, too, because it doesn't add to your total taxable income. Once you're in that eight-hour leave category, though, it can get really hard to use all those hours. (I look forward to having that problem one day.)

I end up taking most of December off every year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Nobody in here is DEA, right? I know I asked before but wanted to double check.

They have to tell you after you ask three times.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

If I accept this consulting offer, I imagine they would want me to start around mid-January. However, my office has already booked a trip for me to a conference the first weekend of January. A coworker brought up the potential issue that if work is paying for that trip, I might be restricted in when I can leave, but my Googling hasn’t turned anything up. Does anyone know about this?

You'll need to check your organization's policies about travel, training, and continuing service agreements. Most will make you explicitly sign a CSA before a costly activity they don't want you to cut and run afterwards so if they didn't you're likely okay, but you really need to check.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Anyone with use-or-lose going into Xmas is a moron.

Eat me. My job has a planning horizon that maxes two weeks and goes as near as next day for travel so it can be difficult to schedule things sometimes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Crossposting for anyone not yet sure if they will work on the 26th (or after Friday or w/e)

lolling a bit that the president's personal bodyguards won't be paid if the USSS isn't funded. I trust that doesn't impact their performance.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rakeris posted:

I have annual leave scheduled for this upcoming week so it looks like I may get a vacation and not have to use my leave! gently caress being flsa except though. Would love a few weeks off.

In general FLSA exemption is a scam and really should be done away with, nationwide.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

My work has been going back and forth on whether we’re supposed to come in during the shutdown. First they were saying only a few people are considered essential, then it was that everyone can skip next week but come in the week of the 31st, now it’s that everyone needs to just work their regular schedule. I’m not scheduled to go back until the 27th and I wouldn’t be surprised if they change their minds again by then. I wasn’t around for any of the previous shutdowns, so I don’t know if it’s always this confusing.

It's not. Usually each agency is given a number of people they can call essential and have come in. The agency heads may be getting different information every day, though. Make sure you get something in writing about your essential status.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

I think my agency is like 99% non-essential.

Not sure how well that reflects on us

I'm legitimately surprised we haven't had a smallgov crusader get somewhere with that approach lately.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

How unpopular will it be if the government remains partially shut? I fear the long this goes the more an argument will be presented how there is a cost associated with keeping the government shut and once that exceeds funding for a wall the argument to reopen for wall funding will cause the democrats to buckle. Once that happens, the ability to shutdown gov is truly enshrined as a political reward for republicans at least and we'll just get these whenever the chance.

People won't get really mad until large numbers have to poo poo in the woods at national parks during summer vacation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Toshimo posted:

OPM says you lazy fuckers should just barter your handyman services to your landlord in the interim.

:lol:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

Executive order from Trump today canning the proposed 1.9 pct pay increase for civilian feds.

Congress can still do it if they want but it's not likely to pass the Senate.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

How common is it that federal salary increases are a flat percentage across all grades? Because that produces...problems, over time.

They're always flat percentages as far as I know.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

incels interlinked posted:

Yeah it's bullshit, and I think the trend of only paying lip service to your 'side' while actively trying to harm the other will continue

It's not about winning anymore. It's about making the other side lose.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

That's unfathomably dumb.

:patriot:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

President is prepared for a shutdown of 'months or years' if necessary.

I wonder when the IRS will just start hanging onto the money to pay themselves. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

lmaoooo

That reminds me, I need to pop in to the office to water my plants!

This is technically illegal if you're not specifically called in and your organization is shut down. Realistically you won't get in trouble, but you may be turned away by your guard staff if they're present and/or give a gently caress. Happened to one of the guys in my office last time when he went in to get his hockey gear.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

incogneato posted:

How would the guards know you weren't exempted by your agency? Unless there's not many people/agencies in your building. We're in a tower of various federal agencies. Our guards aren't asking any questions when people come in or anything.

You could count the number of essential personnel on one hand at that site and the security chief put out the edict "only these people unless I say otherwise." Like I said, unlikely but possible depending on your circumstances. Try it, the likely outcome is no problem and the worst probable is simply denied entry.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sparkmaster posted:

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but at what point do we worry about our FEHB being impacted by lack of funding?

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/furlough-guidance/guidance-for-shutdown-furloughs.pdf

On page 15:

quote:

1. Will an employee continue to be covered under the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program during a shutdown furlough if the agency is unable to make its premium payments on time?
A. Yes. The employee’s FEHB coverage will continue even if an agency does not make the premium payments on time. Since the employee will be in a non-pay status, the enrollee share of the FEHB premium will accumulate and be withheld from pay upon return to pay status.

In general the insurance companies have pretty good deals for themselves with the FEHB programs and are unlikely to do anything to jeopardize them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We're into Here There Be Dragons territory on the maps.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A bunch of rich people's net worth is probably going to be imminently damaged if it keeps up. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

you can also right-click and open in a new private tab

i'd like to see them try to shut the irs down. that'd make for some good laughs

STARVE THE BEAST is how it gets sold.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

White Chocolate posted:

Hey goons I found a job I really want to apply for and work at in the state Department- how do I spruce up my resume for it(Foreign Affairs Officer) so it makes it to the point where I can get interviewed. I have a relevant Army MOS and I’m a current State Dept contractor(but not in DC). Help a brother out!

Check in the Foreign Service Megathread too!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Oh but once you hit 8, you take leave just to take leave. Carrying 240 is sweeeeet.

It's nice knowing I could take off six and a half weeks whenever I felt like it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elem7 posted:

Unfortunately they included a provision to allow the executive branch to stop the adjustment "if because of national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare" and according to Clinton that situation lasted throughout his administration.

We have 30-something current national emergencies so that adjustment will never happen. Ever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

laxbro posted:

A lot of bad information in this thread regarding the TSP. The target funds are good. The G fund is excellent and one of a kind. New hires are now put into a target date fund based on their age. The international fund is now includes emerging markets.

Changing the default for new arrivals is great, they didn’t do that in 2002 any my first year languished in the G fund as a result.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

lol. i got hit on by two ladies at work today. desirable isn't usually how i think of myself but i can't complain and there are plenty of ladies in this line of work if i'm willing to put in a bit more effort to personal appearance...

Don’t gently caress people at work under any circumstances.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/2019/03/federal-employees-would-get-less-annual-leave-under-trumps-2020-budget/155637/

God if this happens I'm going to burn my entire combined PTO balance and take AN ENTIRE loving YEAR OFF. And I'm not even 40 years old.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

We're allowed to wear jeans now at our office due to the Supplemental bill for Hurricane relief. It's called the "Expeditionary Mindset" by the Colonel who allowed it. There's also stuff about removing restrictions of overtime allowances and leave stuff whenever that's relevant.

That loving buzzword is everywhere now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

Imagine you had a credit card that you were personally responsible for (It impacts your credit, you get sent the bill every month, and you're on the hook for the balance) but that your employer could see everything you put on it, you could get in trouble for buying the wrong stuff with it, it's not clear what the wrong stuff is, and you don't accrue any rewards for your purchases.

We had one new guy who didn't have a credit card use his to buy some ski's. He didn't try and get the government to reimburse him and paid them off in full, but he still got in trouble and the entire division had to take training.

Another example, let's say the hotel restaurant has an alcohol word like bar or pub in the name. You're working late and decide to eat dinner there and you don't even order a drink. That can get flagged and you'll have to fill out a form and prove your innocence.

There is basically no reason you'd want to put more charges than required on it, there's only possible downside to using it versus your personal credit card.

All loving accountants can loving hang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Here's the secret: like all government employees, the people involved in recruitment and onboarding get paid the same whether they successfully do their jobs or not.