Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DuffelBlog/status/1326522804393570304?s=19

Thought y'all would appreciate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Got an email saying that they went with someone else for a position I was referred on. I was confused I didn't know I'd been referred for the position. I then got an email 10 minutes later say, hey we referred your application to the hiring manager. And then I got three more emails saying I didn't get the job.

I guess this is an improvement over not getting anything or just a straight-up rejection

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Finally got referred for a position. It only has 8 applicants so hoping that works in my favor

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Got a phone interview on Monday for the position I got referred for. I am sure that will just be the usual boring HR stuff and not super job specific.

Question: I assume the number of applicants that shows up in the dashboard is anyone who applied and not just those referred, correct? It shows 15 applicants for this position I have a phone interview for and 8 applicants for another that I was referred for

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hotel Kpro posted:

Yeah but like what dashboard? I have six jobs I applied to and none of them list the number of applicants except for the one that closed six months ago and lists 43 applicants. That one was a local/county job and the others are national organizations so maybe that’s the difference?

When you log into your USAJobs account it says Profile Dashboard as the page and has your applications, saved jobs, and saved search. I won't know until the VA one I applied to closes out tomorrow but the two with USAF's AMC showed the number of applicants after it when to reviewing applications.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Devor posted:

Exposing the dashboard to the applicant is the exception, not the rule. It's probably a mistake that he can see the number of applicants.

/shrug I don't know man. I just checked for the VA position that closed Monday night and it showed 13 applicants.

The phone interview went well Monday. I figured it was HR stuff but it was who I'd work for and the Wing Superintendent (senior enlisted). They said I should hear something within a few weeks. That seems to be way faster than when I was looking/applying 1.5/2 years ago.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hey goons, I just received a tentative offer for GS-11 step 1. I'm not a current federal employee but will be buying back military time. Is it possible to negotiate a higher step or should I just be happy I got the offer. Thanks!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Evil SpongeBob posted:

We're facing a shutdown end of month. I'd normally say go for it, but not at the end of a fiscal year when who the gently caress knows when Congress will pass an actual budget.

I hadn't thought about that, need to be hired just in time to be told to work for free.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Is it on a ladder? If you’re looking at a 12 promotion next year, the step isn’t hugely important. You need to be a step 5 before it would affect your GS-12 pay.

Yes, it would be less money in year one, but I’d it is an auto 12, I’d take it without pushing just to make sure you get in ASAP.

I don't think it is on a ladder but not sure where in the jobreq that'd be

Leviathan Song posted:

If you were enlisted, I would try to use civilian salary to get an equivalent grade. Either way you need to present a logical numerical argument that they have assigned you the wrong step based on past experience. Qualitative or pleading requests aren't going to get far. You need to hand them the verbage to write in their forms if at all possible.

I was a dirty enlisted who made all the wrong moves financially going from Intel work in the military to civilian IT work to now Social Work / psychotherapy. I am literally allergic to making more money.

Thank y'all for taking the time to answer. I still find it great that this dead gay comedy forum provides infinity better quality answers than anyplace else on the web

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I realize it is a low bar to cross but the onboarding system that prefills out a bunch of forms that you then can digitally sign is nice. I figured I was going to have to fill each one out and wet sign it all.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I've got my fingerprinting scheduled for next week. Happy pre employment onboarding stuff still going forward

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I am hoping my accepted tentative offer can turn into a firm offer and start date before 45 days isnup

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ixo posted:

that link says Irving, TX. I wouldn’t take even a GS 20 to live in Texas.

Having lived in the DFW Metroplex in the mid-10s, I completely agree with you

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Just signed my firm offer to start on the 23rd. I'm happy to be working and making money again.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Congrats! Wonder if you'll get a paycheck before we get shutdown again?

Thanks! I hope so, it will be nice to have positive flow of income instead of just seeing everything going out

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Coming from the private sector, only having a single phone interview for the GS11 position I'm starting on Monday seemed incredibly quick and abnormal

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Started the new job Monday and everything has been going alright. Got my SF-50 today and was able to get my CAC ID.

Quick question: My SF-50 only had the two times I got a DD214 (AD time and mobilized time). Does ADT/AT time not count toward that? I mean, I am happy the credited 6 years and 10 months gets me to the 6hrs accrued time but would like the almost additional year I'd get from that additional time.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1724560501378535588?t=6ErRJDOGGsLXBclvcbTbOA&s=19

Looks like no shutdown

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

This bump is gonna go toward student loan payments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Agree, as a gay I got my refund in about a week. It's joever for the straights.

In actual news, I interviewed last week for a 12 Social Work position and really hope it comes through. Not only for the pay bump but for getting me away from my nice but barely competent supervisor