Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
I haven't had a chance to fully digest this thread or all the wonderful threads I just discovered in Ask/Tell but I figured I would share my situation.

I recently graduated Summa Cum Laude with a BA in Political Science/Public Policy from my Massachusetts State School. I spent my last semester interning at DOS, Political-Military Affairs Bureau as a Staff Assistant, I acquired Secret clearance for this position.

I slacked off hardcore on researching post-grad jobs while I was still in D.C. and had the fresh connections and now I am paying dearly for it. I applied for some jobs in D.C. but received no word back at all. Most of the jobs I see on USAJOBS that I can qualify for and actually have interest in all seem to require a year of federal experience or a graduate school degree. I can easily see myself say...doing Staff Assistant or Policy Analyst in D.C. but most jobs required a year of federal experience, something I can't go off and just get it. While I will probably need to provide more information for my own situation, what should I do to go about getting a government job back in D.C.?? There has got to be a way to circumvent the federal requirements when I am smart and educated enough on the topics to do the job. I figure I will have to move back there eventually in order to actually apply for the jobs but I am hesitant to move back without any source of income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greed
Apr 28, 2008

suboptimal posted:

Hey, so on the subject of interning... Remember the State Department Career Entry Program internships? Just got this in my inbox:

10,000 applicants. Hopefully one of us gets in!

Good luck man, I COMPLETELY forgot about the Career Entry Program even though it has been on my mind since I left my D.C. internship, I probably set myself back sometime by just forgetting about it.

Greed
Apr 28, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

Can't work for the government if you don't have a government job, can't have a government job if you don't work for the government.

Best catch there is.

I did an internship for the State Department as a Staff Assistant and was able to do the job easily but apparently I don't qualify for any Staff Assistant jobs in D.C., life is great.

Btw, a friend of mine now working for State could not find a government job forever so she basically did about 4-5 internships equal to a whole year and thus cover for the usual "1 year of federal experience" that is required on a lot of entry level jobs.

Greed fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 2, 2010

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
HappyDayz post is very spot on, when I interned at the State Department they showed me their resume piles, they had something like 300 resumes for every unpaid internship job, much less an actual real job. They had numerous career professionals with Masters/PHDs actually just applying for internships because the job market out there is so rough. I stayed at a hostel for the time I spent in Washington D.C. and there were 3 other State interns there. One female has a degree from London, a degree from California and studied Arabic in Egypt. Another female had previously interned twice for Congress and the Defense Department and speaks fantastic Spanish. The male I lived with was Bilingual English/Spanish, was born in Mexico, went into the army for citizenship, is finishing his master's in Anti-Terrorism. Meanwhile, I went to a small State school for Public Policy/Political Science and speak no additional languages and only left the country once in my life. I am still amazed I got picked to intern at State but my supervisor said he picked me because my internship essay was just better and more honest than everyone else.

As for the job situation, I feel like I have no chance of getting a federal job at the moment, even though I at least have some Federal experience. Out of the 3 interns listed above, only the Spanish speaking female has landed a federal job within the past year.