Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have it in my head that I'll have a better shot at landing a job with the US or a city/county/state government with a masters in English program that focuses on government writing or technical writing. My undergrad was in English comp/rhet and I'm having a hell of a time finding anything where I live because a couple of things happened that forced me to relocate from Denver back home to central Wyoming at the beginning of 2017 a couple of months after I graduated in December, 2016.

If the answer is to learn how to code or develop software then I'm just going to jump off a loving cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Justus posted:

Don’t be ridiculous. There’s also IT+Cybersecurity

ugh

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So is this the place for idiot PSEs in the USPS to come and vent?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm just clenching my rear end for when Trump finally tells the Postal Service to go gently caress itself. I'm just an idiot PSE and am only eight weeks in.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I feel like I'm being set up to fail. It's my second day trying to sort flat mail alone and it's the day after Memorial Day. So I have a stack of flats to measure that is so large it's easier to describe it in feet rather than inches (549 inches) and sort by hand. I'm supposed to be able to get it all done in four hours, but I barely can't make it in time before the truck comes to pick up the PO box mail, so I have maybe half a tub full of PO box flats that have to get picked up later. So it took me five hours to do a four-hour job.

Or I just suck. I'm two months in as a PSE, so being new doesn't cut it anymore.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh, Amazon's going to be nine hours late to drop off packages for last-mile service? Sure.

edit: They showed up two hours late. Apparently a drunk guy tried to sneak onto the truck and they spent a bunch of time shooing them out. Okay.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 3, 2020

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I learned the other day that as a PSE, I can't just transfer to a different post office after a year. I would need to be a part-time flexible before transferring is even possible. Is it unheard of for non-contract postal employees like PSEs to have an easier time getting started in a career-tract job in the federal government, even if it's just some GS-5 position?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I sort mail and packages. I don't talk to customers at all.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just wonder when us knuckle-dragging simpletons in the post office are next.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Are there any USPS employees lurking this thread that are in non-career positions? I'm working on erasing my credit card debt and will be saving money afterwards so I can move out of Wyoming. I'm a postal support employee, so I am unable to transfer to another area office after working for a year--I have to quit and get hired at the new location. Has anyone had a lot of difficulty remaining in the USPS as a non-contract employee and moving around to like another state and getting rehired?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have my paystub for Friday generated and my deductions have gone through. I should probably reach out to HR for the USPS and see if they're going to continue withholding.

e: Though I just remembered that paycheck is for the last two weeks of August. Next week's will have the change if there is one.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 1, 2020

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Of course, there are also agencies like mine that don't even use GS.

Mine doesn't and I don't understand any of the pay structure or steps that the full-time people get. I don't even know how to even go from grade 6 to grade 7 in my own job or if it's even possible.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I finished my shift on Friday by going to our main post office and trying to get through the computer security training that's required by everyone with access. I have until the end of September to complete it.

I don't have a lot of free time to do anything because I have to deal with setting up for dispatch, cleaning up the parcel sorting station after the carriers leave, boxing the mail for approximately two hundred PO boxes, casing newspapers, receiving UPS and FedEx parcels for last-mile delivery, and going through recycling to make sure no endorsed mail or first-class mail was thrown away, and answer every stupid question people call the post office for in less than four hours.

I had some time because the dispatch person came in early, so I went to the training office to get through it. I came upstairs when I was done and my postmaster was mad that I was down there, even though my supervisor felt that was a good chance to get it done. I explained to him what I was doing and I don't think he even understood what I was talking about. Other clerks I work with haven't had the chance to do theirs because we're too loving busy to do it and we lose access if we don't finish it by the end of the month.

My postmaster is a loving moron.

I also always feel like an unwelcome presence in theads like this because I have a poor people job in a thread populated by people with real jobs.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Customer service in all of its forms is just the loving worst. Every day is Ask Stupid Questions at the Post Office Day.

No, I do not know what time your carrier gets to your place to deliver mail. It gets there when it gets there. No, I cannot call them to find out where they are.

Do not come up to my dutch door, tell me that you have held mail that you want to pick up, and expect me to know exactly who you are and where you live. I have and will stare at you for about fifteen seconds waiting for you to tell me anything more before I concede that no, you aren't going to provide me with any more information and I have to ask what your address is. Yes, this is small town Wyoming, but we deliver to over ten thousand people from our area office and I can't even name a quarter of the people I graduated high school with out of a hundred and eighty.

For the love of loving god, check your mail regularly. Every carrier and clerk hates your guts if you leave your box full of junk mail and we have to leave a notice because it's too full. It's especially worse for the country bumpkins who live in places we can't even deliver to and provide a PO box to for free because they never ever come into town to empty the stupid thing. Then they get pissed off when they check their box after hours and all there is inside is a yellow card with their box number on it. This also goes for people with NBUs at their apartment complex or trailer park or wherever that has one.

No, the carrier has not come back yet or dropped off your parcel at the downtown office. It will be available for pickup at the downtown office tomorrow, like it says on the ticket. No, I cannot call them and ask them to turn around and go back.

And on and on...

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
oh thank gently caress

USPS is not going through with the tax deferrals

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

conclusive proof the USPS has better management than the IRS

But seriously, that's great.

Have you heard of this guy called Louis DeJoy?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Yes, I was only commenting on how Mnuchin is making us go through the white elephant deferrals whereas DeJoy somehow isn't or is being blocked. I didn't intend to downplay or ignore the other bs he's putting you through, should have just not posted instead. Sorry. :(

I intended that response to be more like a "get a load of this guy" kind of comment.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yeesh.

I just manage to get overtime regularly because the senior PSE doesn't want to stay long, so I end up getting that time in because I work six days per week every week. Meanwhile, my lead clerk gets pissed off all the time about not getting offered that overtime first because she's full-time.

I think it's all been a matter of circumstance, but I get the impression that someone at my level should not be hitting 40-plus hour weeks all the time. My understanding is that full-timers are supposed to be offered overtime first, which is fine, but my postmaster is such a loving putz that he's either not doing his job or trying to keep overtime as low as possible (we go deep into overtime every Monday because of the load). She files grievances every time she learns that a PSE got overtime, even if it was only fifteen minutes. The rule we practice is to just lie to her about if we got any overtime.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Duck Stab! posted:

Just landed a PSE job at the USPS at probably the roughest time of year. Can't wait for my legs to dissolve. :v: Any other USPS goons?

Me. I got my job as a PSE at the end of March and I've been a wreck ever since. It fuckin pays though.

Did you interview for your position or were you just selected by HR in your district? I never interviewed and I'm curious if it's something affecting only my area office, my district, or if it's the entire service.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The USPS receives no tax money for its operations. It is entirely self-funded.

My area office has two rural carriers. One uses an LLV and the other uses a minivan. The van is left-hand driven and I think it's her own vehicle. All four of our highway contract carriers use a personal vehicle that just has some US Mail signage on them.

You'll have to figure out what each postmaster can provide or what they'll require of you in order to do the job.

I'm a PSE (postal support employee) at an area office and just sort mail for the carriers. It's still a job with the federal government, but the Postal Service seems like it's just an entirely different animal. We don't use the GS pay scale and anything I've seen mentioned in this thread about any other jobs seems to apply. We actually work for a living :v:. If you can get a job with the Postal Service, then you should be able to get a job in any federal job you can conceivably qualify for.

I really need to bang out my federal resume though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Howard Phillips posted:

Is USPS switching to the Amazon model of hiring individual contractors?

They've been using contractors for many things long before Bezos had an idea to start an online bookstore.

All of the mail that my area office receives and disparches to the sorting and distribution center 120 miles away is shipped by a contractor. We have several routes that are handled by highway contract carriers. Those routes get enough mail that I think they should just be rural routes and the carriers be represented by the NRLCA.

I think vehicle maintenance is also supposed to be handled by contractors, but one of our two custodians just does a lot of that work himself if it's simple fixes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Deeters posted:

At least we get Christmas Eve off! (if you're not one of the unlucky offices that this doesn't apply to)

It's me, I'm one of the unlucky ones.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The new PSE and the two city carrier assistants that help me sort packages for delivery in the wee hours of the morning don't listen to me at all and it's really starting to piss me off. My lead clerk's also getting ignored by the new PSE too. There's a lot of reasons to hate my kead clerk because she's awful, but she is in charge and I'm able to direct these people on how to do parcel sorting.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 14, 2020

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The other day, an old woman that sounded like she was from Eastern Europe called my area office to locate a package. She sent it from South Dakota to California (my office is in Wyoming, I can only assume she was in South Dakota visiting), paid fifty dollars to ship it, and had no tracking or insurance. All I could even manage to do was look up the phone number of the post office in the town in California she sent it to and maybe they could help her. My guess is that she was offered tracking or insurance, didn't understand what any of that was or meant, and assumed that it would get there without any problem. I had to tell her that mail was also being heavily delayed because of the holiday and the pandemic putting so many people at processing centers out.

I deal with phone calls like this all day every day and I just wonder why I continue to go to work sober.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Howard Phillips posted:

Thank you for your service Star Man. My mom works in the service industry and by the grace of God she maintains her patience despite covid and hordes of ignorants.

I'm going to be honest--it's loving weird that people are expressing some kind of gratitude towards me when all I do is throw boxes of dumb poo poo people bought on the Internet into hampers, put junk mail no one wants into PO boxes, and get yelled at all the time by my lead clerk, customers, the letter carriers, and the new PSE.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
oh my god I want this mother fucker holiday to end already

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Christ my day at work would have been a million times smoother if my general expeditor wasn't a giant loving bully. My entire tenure at the USPS would be so much smoother if my general expeditor and one of the senior letter carriers would just disappear.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
God I hate writing cover letters.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Howard Phillips posted:

Cover letters suck. Any job that requires one basically gets a pass from me.

Maybe when I'm not trying to go from the USPS to anything else and have some leverage, I'll approach it the same way.

At least I finally made it out of Wyoming, so I at least live in the same city (Pittsburgh) as some of the jobs I read about now.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Me, a postal worker: "What the gently caress is a DCFSA?"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
All I know about the upcoming holiday is that I am working on both the fourth and whatever day gets observed as the holiday.

God I want out of the postal service so bad. Would be nice to hear back from that job I put in with USCIS on the seventh.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

So 9 days ago? Better add a 0 on there before you start worrying!

(this is based on almost nothing and I hope you make good on your escape.) Maybe keep applying to other stuff too?

I have a feeling that ninety days is pretty optimistic. Better make it six months. I am applying to whatever GS-05 jobs I have a the tiniest prayer of being interviewed for. Toshimo has given me pointers on how to get through the automated filter, but I don't think that I can manipulate my resume well enough that once anyone actually reads it, it's going to face scrutiny because I really don't have any stable job experience. The postal service is the only stable thing I've ever had in my adult life.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just treat them like those 120-question personality tests you have to do when you apply for lovely retail or dining jobs.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am now a certified postal cash register jockey (I had to do six days of training and take a test)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have to get out of the postal service. I have to get out right now.

We had a problem at my office yesterday where a bunch of parcels meant for Tuesday delivery were scanned for Monday delivery. Any parcels scanned for same-day delivery have to go out for delivery no matter what, or else we fail to deliver them and have to explain to some higher up why they failed. I'm not sure who it is that management has to answer to, but it's something they want to avoid at all costs, so I presume it's US Postal Inspection Service that they have to report to.

We have a clipboard that has to be signed off on by a supervisor or the postmaster before parcels that are meant for next-day delivery are to be scanned. We're utterly shorthanded at my office to the point that management has to do stuff like scan parcels or breakdown of flats because we have two clerks on vacation at a time all summer and another one is out on sick leave because he tore his ACL playing basketball.

I was breaking down weekly advertisements for Tuesday deliver while my postmaster and a supervisor were scanning parcels. My postmaster signed off on the clipboard that the delivery date was changed, but he didn't actually set the PASS to scan for Tuesday. They stopped scanning and went to lunch, and I started scanning and didn't see that the delivery date had been incorrect, because I assumed that it was on the right date and just never looked. A rural carrier that had finished her delivery tried to check out for the day and had several undelivered parcels on her scanner still. The supervisor and postmaster came over to the parcel staging area, saw the PASS was set for Monday and not Tuesday, and my postmaster just went fuckin postal, threw a tub full of mail across the room, and accused me of changing the date from Tuesday to Monday. I told him fuckin hell no I would never do that and he checked the clipboard and conceded that it was his fault. We got everything rounded up and had to call every carrier back tot he office to pick up these parcels and deliver them.

Apparently after that all happened and I was cleared to resume scanning the rest of the Tuesday stuff, I set the other computer for Monday delivery instead of Tuesday and scanned a bunch of little ones with a ring scanner for the wrong date. I had no idea until today when I tried to get started on scanning parcels for Wednesday delivery today. But my postmaster doesn't just tell me that I messed up. He accused me again of changing the date on purpose, cut me down and swore at me for a few minutes. I'm now no longer allowed to change any date information on the computer now without anyone in management and am forbidden from using the DSS computer and ring scanner--only the PASS scanner where I walk a parcel underneath a reader and it is scanned and a picture of it is taken.

I've been in this poo poo for over a year and this was the first time I've ever messed up the delivery date, and of course it had to be on the day that a colossal gently caress-up had already happened and I've already racked up three hours of overtime this service week in two days because I've had to work so much with more to come. Imagine if I had been behind him when he threw that tub of mail and it went into my leg. It would have just bruised me up, but this is fuckin unreal and I've got people telling me to just move on from it. I tried to call HR today and talk to my union steward, but both were unreachable. I'm about ready to just walk out. I have to leave this place as soon as I can. I can't handle this anymore.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I finally wrote an email to a union representative high up in my local APWU chapter about what's going on. Took me a couple days to do it because I expect absolutely nothing to come of this. I still need the hell out of this job.

Got a rejection email from the Army Corps of Engineers for a regulatory assistant job. Still just in the referral phase for an immigration services officer position with USCIS. Not a whole lot of fed jobs in Pittsburgh at the GS 05--07 level it seems unless I want to be a VA nurse.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Something a friend told me last weekend: "You need to get out of that job. It's killing you."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

App13 posted:

The regional director for my agency wrote me a letter of congratulations on a video interview I did recently and included a quarter as a “on the spot cash incentive.”

Yes an actual United States 25 cent piece.

It’s the most insulting loving thing that has ever happened to me at this job.

At least you can spend it.

In 2019, I was a long-term substitute math teacher for a contractor at a Job Corps center. For Christmas, my academics manager gave everyone a card with a copper round. Nothing specific to our location, job, or anything. Just a piece of solid copper from some right-wing gold bug website. I'd have rather just gotte a piece of candy that I don't like.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Seamonster posted:

hey now, copper prices have more than doubled since the pandemic low

It's a coin with a weight of one avoirdupois ounce, whatever the gently caress that means. Apparently the going rate for that is like 26 cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I hope the vaccine mandate forces out a bunch of lifers that should have retired years ago. Maybe a job or two will finally open up.