Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm...not sure the TCO program even still exists. it's noticeably absent from hiring cattle calls when I check.

It exists, they were still hiring TCOs as of last year and we have a few new TCOs in my office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Preparers blocking better regulation of preparers, like requiring centralized registration and accreditation (I'm drawing a blank on the details) is another layer of the bullshit piled upon IRS. There's a whole universe of horrendous rear end in a top hat preparers who coach and use (and are used by) poor desperate and/or ignorant people to commit various forms of tax fraud. They take forever to bring to justice, and they're like a single millimeter above the sovcit gurus.

Yeah, I occasionally get a stack of audits from a shady preparer, and it will all be members of the same immigrant community and they're all very confused and upset because they thought they were doing the right thing by hiring a professional.

There's also a class of preparers who are just complete fuckup idiots and I wonder sometimes if they just give the return to their 8-year-old nephew to prepare or something because there are just random numbers all over the place.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Catkin posted:

Also just found out today that our uniform purchasing portal is still nonfunctional after 3 months because the contract is hosed up or something. Whoopee! Even if I could order new uniforms it would take them 3 more months to get here probably. I'm already trying to avoid wearing the horrible hot scratchy illfitting things I still have, which are all stained or ripped up anyway and look like hell. The uniform pants are 3mm thick and I can't loving move in them. And honestly they're a legitimate workplace hazard, the humidity never drops below 70% and the heat index here is in the 100s beginning in May. I prefer not to die of self-saunafication.

I'm super curious, where are you?

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

does the IRS really have work year round?

Exam does, we just started getting 2021 returns.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Nea posted:

I'm going to have an accounting degree in the fall, and I'd like to have a government job of some sort for stability, benefits, not having to loving work 60 hours a week on a million people's taxes, ect- it doesn't nessecarily need to be accounting directly, I know a friend in the IRS and i'm looking into a variety of IRS jobs as well as govt accounting generally.

I don't really know the process of getting this sort of job. I have the one friend who could give a reccomendation, though they're half way across the country, and I've worked at the post office before- so i've used USA jobs and the like, though I ended up leaving that job on account of 'sucks rear end to work 50 hours a week for 18 dollars an hour in the bay area doing manual labor and maybe it'd be a liveable amount of money in 5 years'

I know this is kind of broad, but what sort of jobs should I be looking at and applying for? Is there anywhere desperately hiring that would still be desperately hiring in december?

There are going to be more revenue agents hired this year, not sure when exactly though. Set an alert on USAjobs and apply to things as they come up. If you apply now, December is about when you'd start anyway. I would say also look at your state and compare, some states have great pay and benefits as well.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

kathmandu posted:

Just heard a rumor from my AFGE Local’s president that Biden will issue an EO tomorrow limiting telework to 5 days per pay period. Well, poo poo.

How would that affect existing telework agreements? like existing before Covid?

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Evil SpongeBob posted:

My agency just announced they'll repay parent plus loans in addition to student loans. Guess when you're net negative for hiring this FY, you'll try anything.

What agency? Mine has been "considering" it for a while.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Star Man posted:

IRS will be using money from its eighty sixty billion dollars of IRA money to keep it running and for payroll if a shutdown happens.

I imagine they'll tell us no overtime if it comes to that, and that extra cash is what keeps me going.

Just got the announcement this morning that they can't actually use that money in case of a shutdown.

The rumor mill says that people with short statute cases will keep working, no idea how short though.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

heated game moment posted:

Treasury just sent out an all employees email saying we are to be back in the office at least 50% of the time starting in May. Not sure how that squares with the union contract (doesn't matter for me since I am an NBU position), or the existing 10+ years of frequent telework meaning 2 days per pay period. Not to mention we don't have room for that many people in most office since we have been rolling out hoteling for years. Oh yeah or the people who have arranged their lives the last several years around NOT going to the office that much. Should be interesting!

Oh we just got a follow up email that it only affects employees in DC for now LMFAO

I was in the office today so heard the very audible "WTF?????" when that email went out, lol. Our office has been trying to hire like crazy, already running out of space for new people, frantically trying to cram more people into previously hoteling desks and conference rooms. I think the manager who has been trying to deal with the space issue almost poo poo himself.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Star Man posted:

Oh boy. It's only the start of March, the IRS isn't getting letters requesting ID verification or informing them of income verification that will take six to twelve months sixty one hundred twenty days out until now-ish, and I get to be the rear end in a top hat who tells poor black and brown women the refund they need is being delayed for reasons and they start breaking down and crying.

The tax code is the absolute dumbest way to distribute welfare because the people who desperately need the money have to wait seemingly random lengths of time to get it, while on the other end I have to deal with the big brain geniuses who used one weird trick they learned on TikTok to lower their tax liability by making up fake businesses with huge fraudulent losses so they can get the EITC while making $300K a year.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Star Man posted:

The job I applied for with IRS CI is direct hire with over one hundred openings, and the earlier discussion suggests that there isn't a veteran's preference. It's been stuck in being referred to the hiring manager since 19 January.

A similar call for applications for the same job is on USAJobs.

I don't know what any of this means other than glhf

CI takes a long time even in the federal government sense. A friend of mine waited like 6 months after getting a tentative offer for CI until the firm offer came.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Star Man posted:

If that happens to me, then I'd like to know what they do with my grade and step. I'm GS-06 now and roll into GS-07 in May. The CI job I applied for is 7-9-11-12, and I only qualified for GS-07 (which I expected). If I get hired after I promote to GS-07 as a phone man, am I stuck as GS-07 step one for more than one year, or will I upgrade to step two at some point before being promoted to GS-09?

I've seen people have issues with this before, and it is something a manager can fix (if they want to).

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I worked at one of my office's Taxpayer Experience Days and that was like 90% of the people who came in. We filed a ton of paper returns that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh that’s not too abnormal, I’m blanking on the name but the TCOs had it too, and it was used as much as “pure” (heavily mediated, connection-tunneled) IDRS. It’s a layer of tech built atop a layer of tech built atop IDRS. Crashes if you tried to use any kind of keyboard shortcuts or the copy and paste functions….

I think you’re talking about IAT. It’s supposed to make IDRS more readable but has so many issues of its own.