Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Posted this in the FSOT megathread, but I've got an insider lead on a web developer position. You need some Portuguese and the ability to get a SECRET clearance, not to mention IT skills. PM me if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Hey, so on the subject of interning... Remember the State Department Career Entry Program internships? Just got this in my inbox:

quote:

This is confirmation of receipt of your application to the Career Entry
Program. Please complete the questionnaire as per the instructions
below. If multiple locations for employment are available, please ONLY
select those locations that you indicated in your original application
emails. IF you select locations that you did not specify on your initial
application, you will not be considered for those locations.

This is the second round of the application process. After you complete
this questionnaire, please allow at least 5 weeks for notification of
results. We received approximately 10,000 applications and would
sincerely appreciate your patience.

Within 5 weeks, we will notify you regarding whether you are being
referred to the hiring officials or not.

10,000 applicants. Hopefully one of us gets in!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Hey, congratulations! Do you have any background doing imaging work, or were you able to swing some other experience? I'm curious because I've seen NGA's hiring page, and it seems like they mostly want engineer/hard science types.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

My favorite part of that e-mail:

quote:

IF your score was high enough to be referred to hiring managers, it does not necessarily mean you are qualified to continue in the process. I will follow up with more information within the next 5 weeks (by Oct 30, 2010). I need to review each qualified individual’s application and spend some time referring you to our hiring managers who are interested in reviewing your resumes. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

We appreciate your continued interest in the Department, and wish you success in your future endeavors. We will be opening a new vacancy announcement for an additional 25-50 slots in January 2011.

Best of luck,

CEP Program Manager
U.S. Department of State
Office of Civil Service HR Management

Just how in the gently caress is anyone supposed to be able to get a loving job here?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

grover posted:

I got a call yesterday from a colleague at another command wanting to hire me for a job I hadn't even applied for. Not the first time this has happened, either. All ya'll really have to do is just be awesome at what you do and opportunities will just roll on in!

I'd agree with you, except that I find myself in the "can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job" miasma that so many others in this thread are in as well.

This latest debacle with the CEP program is just another great example. I have an MA from a top ten university, I busted my rear end at school, ran one club and helped run three others, interned with a fairly prestigious think tank, have experience living and working abroad, and I speak Arabic at a decent level. Yet all of this isn't even enough to get one foot in the door with the Career Entry program or to pass the QEPs.

I know that you're trying to be encouraging, but it seems kind of futile when very few of us are in the position to be doing anything. I'd wager that any of the people in this thread with federal aspirations could do any job we're given awesomely, but it sometimes feels like we'll never get a chance to prove it thanks to the impossibly high/impossibly opaque requirements needed just to get noticed by DoS/whatever.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Gravel Gravy posted:

Want to hear something funny? I'm working as a delivery driver for a pizza place near NASA. Had an order late at night, brought it to them, with my resume.

"New special tonight, a free copy of my resume with each order".

The guy was sort of amused at first, but he was reading it when I left.

That is likely the 3/100+ resumes/applications I have sent to the govt. that has ever been seen by human eyes.

It's pretty hilarious that you're using the same tactics to get yourself hired in DC that aspiring screenwriters use in Hollywood to get themselves noticed.

On another note, I'm moving to DC in about a week and a half to try to make it out there and find something. Anyone want to meet up at some point or another and share "it sucks being unemployed" stories? Perhaps a few of you gainfully employed folks can show up and assuage us with "don't worry, you'll get a job....someday" pats on the back.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

psydude posted:

Going to a government and NGO job fair on Monday hunting for internships.

On a side note, it looks like the CIA is fiendishly recruiting college grads this year.

Is this a school-specific job fair, or can anyone attend? I just moved to DC and I'd like to start my in-person job hunt.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

For you other aspiring gubmint employees/policy wonks, there's two events coming up I thought I'd share:

November 2nd- The Institute for Security and Conflict Studies is hosting an event entitled "Fighting Corruption in the Wars in Iraq & Afghanistan" with Stuart W. Bowen, Jr and Stephen Biddle.

November 9th- CNAS is hosting a book signing/lecture for Robert Kaplan's new book "Monsoon" regarding the future of naval power in the Indian Ocean.

I'll be attending both. If you're interested in time/details, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the information- I hesitate to post it on a quasi-open forum lest LF decides to register Abu Musab al-Zarqawi and Juba x 10,000.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Sent. Please tell me that's the address you use to apply for jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CherryCola posted:

You too? That's the exact day I heard back about my dream Smithsonian job...it's been in limbo ever since. (I applied on June 1st)

My application for a USAID JFSO position has been referred to the hiring official since March of 2009. No change in status or anything.