Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Would this be a good way to apply for finance/economics jobs that require masters level and higher or should I just apply directly to the SEC, Federal Reserve, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Going through the process of creating my profile, would I qualify as Schedule A disabled due to major depression? It caused me to drop out of my PhD program after 5.5 years, and I'm currently medicated on lithium and prozac.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Applying to the PTO as a patent examiner now. I considered it after my master's and it's been brought up among my friends, independent of here.

Regarding Schedule A, do I need to include documentation at the time of application or will they ask me for it later on?

edit: Actually, it looks like it wouldn't necessarily help: "Schedule A, 5 CFR 213.3102(u), for hiring people with severe physical disabilities, psychiatric disabilities, and intellectual disabilities. This excepted authority is used to appoint persons with severe physical disabilities, psychiatric disabilities, and intellectual disabilities. Such individuals may qualify for conversion to permanent status after two years of satisfactory service."

Josh Lyman posted:

Going through the process of creating my profile, would I qualify as Schedule A disabled due to major depression? It caused me to drop out of my PhD program after 5.5 years, and I'm currently medicated on lithium and prozac.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 28, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For something like the PTO where they're hiring multiple people, will they wait until the application period closes before considering applicants? I ask because I'm flying for an on-site with a different agency next week and I'd like to be able to compare offers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had an on-site last Tuesday, one of 3 candidates flown out. Still waiting to hear back on that :ohdear:

But I got a call from someone new from the same agency to confirm my identity and location, saying they are scheduling interviews and would call me tomorrow (no time was set).

This really confuses me because I only applied to the original department and all the other openings are for unrelated positions. It couldn't be a proper phone interview otherwise they would schedule a time, so what is going on? :psyduck:

My main concern is that this is a sign the original department passed on me and I'm being cast off for a less desirable position.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 28, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sissel posted:

How long should I wait before trying to contact a hiring manager for a position I've applied to?
On a related note, I had a video teleconference interview 2 weeks ago Friday. They said they would be in touch/make a decision soon but I haven't heard anything either way.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had a video teleconference interview 2 weeks and 3 days ago (Friday). They said they would get back to me soon. It I haven't heard anything either way.

I assume at this point they've made the offer to another candidate and are waiting on an acceptance. :smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was in the late stages of trying to get a job with the a regulatory agency.

Hiring freeze = I remain unemployed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If managers are scared of a hiring freeze, wouldn't they want to hire people in the pipeline like me? :v:

:smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Must Love Dogs posted:

Basically every agency is hiring if they have the budget space for it. The threat of the hiring freeze has everybody making GBS threads themselves. This goes double for agencies that are most under threat in a right-wing administration.
Haven't heard back from the SEC or PTO, rip the dream.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Heard back from the PTO to interview about a patent examiner position, but I think I've been turned down for all the positions I interviewed for at the SEC.

I guess I'll have to settle for literally half the salary. :suicide:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

See, the federal government isn't the only employer who can take forever to do things! :v:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 9, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had a WebEx interview with the Patent and Trademark Office. Sounds like they'll be making decisions in mid-January for an early February start.

Structured promotion to GS-14 is nice but even then compensation doesn't seem that great.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I applied for separate Computer Engineer and Electrical Engineer patent examiner postings with the PTO. I received "referred to selecting official" emails for the postings on different days from different recruiters. I had a Skype interview for one of them (don't know which one) 3 weeks ago and was told I'd probably hear back in mid-January. I then received an email last week saying I had been referred to a hiring manager but not selected for the electrical engineer position. Should I assume the Skype interview was for the computer engineer position and I'm still in the running?

Edit: Welp, got a referred not selected for the computer engineer position.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 29, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vorkosigan posted:

Well, the FRS (.Org) is different from the FRB(.Gov). FRB is only DC based, while the FRS reserve banks are scattered across the country. The Board is a self-funded executive agency instead of a legislative one. This means we stay open when Ted Cruz has another sequester hissy fit.

And yeah, we only do our recruiting through https://www.federalreserve.gov/careers/
I've been trying to get a job for the better part of a year with either the Board in DC or the Atlanta Fed to no avail. Too overqualified for bachelors analytics positions, slightly under qualified for PhD financial economist posts. :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Whose dick do I have to suck to get a job with the SEC?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RIP my dream of working for the SEC. :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The manager at the SEC who interviewed but didn't hire me said they planned to make more hires this spring but not until after things settled in with the new administration.

Should have just made me an offer in December. :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah but what about doughnut days and happy hours and office romances?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sometimes you find a perfect position: financial economist in the Treasury department.

The questionnaire emphasized quantitative analysis of financial markets, research with the intent to publish, and teaching (communication to audiences).

I was a finance Ph.D. student who focused on econometric modeling of stocks, bonds, and currency exchange rates, and I taught 5 semesters of undergraduate finance.

So they're probably going to desk reject my application. :smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Serious question: I'm looking at a couple postings that are only open to federal employees, but I would be able to apply under Schedule A. However, my understanding is that Schedule A is excepted service, so I wouldn't be able to apply to future listings that are only open to federal employees since they carry the caveat of "current or former competitive service employees."

With that in mind, what's even the point?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Remember who's in charge of the justice department: Jeff "weed will kill you" Sessions

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

El Mero Mero posted:

Is there a federal (or other level) government employee career thead around? Or is this one pretty much the main bureaucrat waterin' hole?
What, are we not good enough for you? :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Treasury posted 6 listings for a financial economist, 3 in a lower band and 3 in a higher band. The listings were essentially identical but would've slotted you into different groups: retail credit, commercial credit, more general research.

I applied to all 6 listings because I figured the different listings could be processed by different recruiters. But I also kinda feel bad for what is effectively spamming their system. :smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This economist posting with the CFPB wants a sample paper but the document upload page doesn't have an option for "paper" or even "other", but it does include 2 transcript spots so I guess my only option is to upload the paper under one of them? Ugh, get it together noobs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Had a 2nd round interview with the FDA that was basically a 20 minute presentation of a former research project, after which they said they wanted to move forward with the hiring process. :woop: They're just waiting on my 2nd reference to fill out a recommendation.

I find it interesting they requested recommendations at all. My friends working at DOT and EPA weren't asked, and it's not like I'm applying for a tenure-track faculty position.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

Agreed that is surprising, literally the only job I have seen on USAJobs that required recommendations was, in fact, a faculty position at West Point. Certainly a good way to keep down casual applications, since I was like "ughgh there is no way I am going to interrupt my dissertation chair's holiday to ask for a letter for a job I sincerely doubt I would get anyway"
Even crazier they didn't ask for references until 2 days before the 2nd round. Hell, the SEC flew me up for a position with a much higher salary range and never asked, and this one is only starting at GS-11/12.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Well poo poo, and just as the FDA is starting the hiring process with me: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.36a43a6e4d32

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FDA said last week they'll be moving forward with the hiring process but there won't be much movement on that until after the New Year. HOWEVER, I've been referred for a position at Treasury that's a better fit and starts/tops out 1 grade higher. If they end up talking to me, is there anything I can do to try to move things along before abandoning that process to accept FDA?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 19, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What exactly is the argument for eliminating teleworking here?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Delorence Fickle posted:

I wish there was a way to filter out those "1" vacancy positions on usajobs.
Is this because those positions are typically already earmarked as a promotion for an existing employee?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FDA is in the process of offering me a job so... this is not the best timing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Had some correspondence with the hiring manager at FDA, he said "Your package was sent to HR on 12January. I was hoping you had heard something, but I will keep following up on my end and let you know when I hear something."

Presumably that's good news, right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suggestions for negotiating starting salary step? My tentative offer said GS-11 step 1. My friends who work for different agencies suggested asking for the step that's just below GS-12 step 1. However, GS-11 step 7 is $97 above while step 6 is $2171 lower, so I feel like I should just ask for 7.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

Are you on a career ladder that will promote you to GS-12 after your year is up?
The posting says GS-11/12 with promotion potential to 13. I don't recall any mention of promotion to 12 after 1 year because we didn't discuss salary at all during the interviews, but my friends at DOT and EPA seem to assume that would happen.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit e-mailed my direct manager asking for higher starting salary step oh god :ohdear:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 12, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

Ya, that's an 11/12 ladder.

So what you can negotiate might be affected by the 2 step rule. Basically, when you get a grade promotion, they take your current step, add 2 steps to it, and pay you the lowest amount in the new grade that exceeds that amount.

Anything above GS-11 step 4 would result in you getting at least a GS-12 step 2 when you get your ladder promotion after a year. It may be hard to negotiate something above that. On the other hand, if you could get step 4, that's an extra $6k in your first year.

Not necessarily. For example, compliance officers in the IRS have "promotional potential" to GS-11, but there are a limited number of 11 positions, and you have to apply and compete for them when they become open.
Just to clarify, a GS-11/12 posting with promotion potential to 13 means I should "automatically" get GS-12 after 1 year but 13 will require competition assuming there's a 13 position available, right? I ask because GS-11 step 1 is a poo poo salary while GS-12 step 1 is okay, but I might not be able to get a competing offer letter quickly enough to use as documentation for a higher starting step.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

Is there any room for negotiation in a federal offer? If I have 6 years of experience doing this job public sector and I get offered GS-7 step one can I ask for step 7? Because lol GS-7 step one pay
I'm in a similar position of trying to figure out how to get a higher step. Apparently HR will require some supporting documentation, which is either recent pay slips or a competing offer letter showing a higher salary.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit: called HR, situation will move from there

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

Postin' again

Has anyone else had USAJobs turn against them this calendar year

After having precisely one problem in the span of the last five years in terms of "having my qualifications not noticed," since the beginning of February I have had six different job postings where I get not referred due to a lack of educational qualifications. Well, this "Dr." ain't for show, USAJobs. Then I e-mail them and say "uh can you please give me credit for my Ph.D." and they say IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO REQUEST A SECOND REVIEW PLEASE SUBMIT THE REQUEST and I say "please look at the exact thing I sent you already?" and then the next morning I get an apology and a referral.

But uh... why does this keep happening? Does anyone here actually have even the slightest insider knowledge about the system potentially changing this year? Probably not.

Edit: Here, to help keep the thread entertaining have this best-job-I-have-seen-in-ages https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/494698800
FDIC and some others autorejected me in a similar vein, but I didn't know enough to follow up with them.