Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

Question: I can get into a volunteer position with a County PD. They basically want to conduct a background investigation that will take many months. I don't want to make them conduct the investigation since I will basically be taking whatever is thrown at me before I get to start volunteering for them. Basically I hate being an rear end in a top hat, wouldn't want them to waste their time but who knows if anything will even happen by the time I get to start with them.

Are you talking about the Arlington Investigative Internship? If so go for it because it'd be some loving great experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TLG James posted:

Question for anyone who knows. Is it seriously common to have GS-9 positions require Master Degrees?

Yes, GS-9 positions are basically for those with directly related work experience. A Master's is the way to be considered in lieu of experience, which is one reason I'm in grad school right now.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TLG James posted:

So if I'm a Veteran with ~8 years of experience in releated fields with a BS degree I should be fine applying?

I hate to say "it depends" ... but it depends on the job posting, agency, etc. Just read the requirements carefully. I would say that if you have that much experience in the field including work same quality of work/responsibility that a GS-7 would have in the job you are applying for, you would probably qualify.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

Kinda off topic since it is a contractor job but is anyone familiar with a company called USIS?

Have an interview coming up and I have been hearing some bad stuff about them after some google searching. Wondering if I am walking into something that wouldn't be the stepping stone I was hoping for.

A good friend from college worked as a USIS investigator for a year or two before becoming a cop. What do you wnat to know? They aren't particularly well paid but the hours didn't sound too bad and he got a car.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Heh. Not looking forward to that process if I get an internship this summer. 30% of my classmates are international.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I spent about 3 years of undergrad overseas.

Ouch.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Are you doing DIA or one of the other ones that require a TS? Just a regular SECRET isn't all that bad; they'll ask where you've been but they don't really seem to follow up on any of it at that level. I think it's probably like a background/credit check and basic look to see if your story lines up with what they can easily check it against. For example, the guy asked me for the names and contact info of my foreign roommates (had like 9 or 10) from 2004-2005 and didn't seem too fussed that I couldn't find info for a lot of them.

TS and above they do take a lot more time with. I'm staying at a friend's place in Vancouver for the week right now, and he's a little amused that some US government guy might show up and ask him questions about me someday.

I'm looking at a lot of places but I am hoping to get a TS.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Sundae posted:

:lol:

I sent an e-mail to the HR rep asking whether the agency reimbursed interview travel expenses, and received back both a 'no' and an interview cancellation.

I guess they don't much care for applicants asking questions.

Wow.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

dvgrhl posted:

When you say internships, are you meaning STEP positions? I started as a STEP, then was converted to a SCEP, then offered a full-time position upon graduation. I got an e-mail from my school's career development department with the job posting. It was sent in by a former graduate who worked there.

This made me look back through my e-mails, and I got the job notice on 09/20, had an interview on 10/02, and dropped off my employment paperwork on 10/12, and started my first day on 10/22. So 20 days from interview to starting. I think the fact I didn't have to go through USAJobs made it far quicker of a process.

That being said, we just started the new fiscal year which means we are on a continuing resolution until the new budget is passed. What that means is we are authorized to continue on as if we were on last years budget. Even still, people tend to be a little more reserved with spending and hiring from what I have seen until the new budget is approved.

That is great news on the speed of the process, I am considering applying to various SCEP opportunities but have no idea how the hell I will have time to complete 640 hours in under two years and not fail out of school unless I can convince them to give me school credits and 2 days off a week to go, or work on weekends. Can you work full time in summer/winter breaks and have the time count towards your SCEP time?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

dvgrhl posted:

I only got notice of the internship opportunity from my career development office. They were only involved in passing on the email though. After that, everything happened between me and the Feds.

The speed will vary a lot depending on agency though. The most annoying thing about starting is that they really really don't want you to start until the beginning of a pay period. I could have started a week earlier than I did, but it wasn't the beginning of the pay period so I had to wait.

I did work full time during winter, spring, and summer breaks. All time worked counts towards your SCEP time. During school I worked 20 hours a week. My university had an option where I could get credits for my internship, and I did look into that option. But in the end it was less hassle for me to just take an extra class. Plus, I enjoyed all of my senior level electives so I didn't really want to miss out on any of them.

Also, you have something like 3 months (I believe) after you graduate to finish up as a SCEP, so you really should be fine to get your hours in. Assuming you had 2 years I would be really amazed if you didn't get 640 hours without much thought. It's a good gig for a student, the biggest hassle I had was turning in my transcripts and updating my schedule every quarter.

Awesome thanks for the info. That's great news about being able to count time the summer after graduating. I'm a grad student so I have very little free time, working even 16 hours a week (which I believe is the minimum at many SCEP programs) would be a huge, huge commitment.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

If a job potentially pays several different grades, and you hit Step 10, do you at some point (in some automatic way) move up to the next grade (e.g., go from, say, GS 12 Step 10 to GS 13 Step 1)? Or is moving up a grade not something automatic based on time?
Someone please correct any misinformation I provide. I'm not a federal employee but many of my friends are and this is my understanding of the system.

To sort of build on/simplify what Grover said, you typically start out at a lower grade (5/7/9) based on your experience and education. The first few increases in grade within your job description are basically automatic if you are performing well and are unrelated to steps. This will get you (in about 4-6 years) to whatever is considered "journeyman" level which varies based on the job and agency. Journeyman is often around GS11 or GS12. You will normally still get step increases but any increases in grade after that are legit competitive promotions often including a change in job description to becoming some sort of manager. Of course this all goes out the window if you end up at an agency with pay bands. But the vast majority of them use the GS system.

Example:
Year 0: New hire starts as GS7 based on experience and education.
Year 1 (2 if FCIP): Performance review, promoted to GS9 step 1.
Year 2-3: Performance review, promoted to GS11 step 1.
Year 3-5: Performance review, promoted to GS12 step 1, journeyman level.
Next year: GS12, step 2.
Next year: GS12, step 3.
After a few years, competitively promoted to GS13.
etc.

Tyro fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 12, 2010

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

dvgrhl posted:

professional series jobs

Cool, thanks for the info. I am looking at professional jobs exclusively, but it's good to know how the process works in a general sense.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

Question. If you were under investigation for a security clearance before, but was neither confirmed nor denied midway during the investigation due to the position being retracted, would that give me some sort of edge?

I mean I guess their work is already halfway done.

No. Unless this was extremely recently, they wouldn't use any of that information. And different agencies sometimes don't even accept each others clearances.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

CherryCola posted:

Had a small heart attack today. Apparently I didn't go back far enough in a couple section so had my SF-86 sent back. Luckily I could fix it quickly, but it definitely renewed my sense of "oh god what if I get denied."

SSBI? Or just forgot to go to 7? Either way glad you got it fixed up.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Boondock Saint posted:

So DSS just called me asking me if I wanted to come in and take a written and oral exam in December.

I had to turn it down because I just started a full-time job I rather like and can't afford to take any personal days from my start date next week till at least February.

Please tell me I did not just colossally gently caress up and the test being offered is as common as the FSOT.

Yes you are OK. I know a lot of people who have taken the BEX. But you can only do it every year and they stagger the job postings so it's really more like every 2 years. I would've tried to do it personally but you know your situation best!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Boondock Saint posted:

I would have loved to be honest. I did ask if they had alternate times or evening testing and they said no to both, so I tried and they were polite about it either way. If I was unemployed still or was working somewhere that I didn't give a poo poo about, I totally would have scheduled anyways and figured something out.

Hearing that at least its not like I just threw away the hardest test to get into though does make me feel better. That would have been the icing to top my lovely day.

Yeah if you have a Bachelor's it's relatively easy to get to the BEX (most people don't pass the first time).

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

Holy hell I think they just called me too, but I was in the other room and they didn't leave a voicemail. Number says private so I can't say for sure.

I really hope they will call back, whoever they are.

They'll call back. Good luck!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Kase Im Licht posted:

Guys who got the DSS BEX call, or thought you got the call, mind saying what location you would be interviewing in? I've heard they go location by location in scheduling. Trying to figure out if I should spend the day staring at my phone waiting for it to ring.

I didn't apply but a friend of mine got a call for DC region.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

Yes. Well, trying to, anyway. Seems like they've added an in-person assessment to the exam process this year. Does anyone here know anything about what exactly this entails, besides the description on the website that it involves an individual presentation, a group exercise, etc.?

I'm interested in PMF for next year. I attended a presentation at my school on the program. From what I remember it is pretty much a full day thing. They used to do the full in person assessment but got rid of it for several years. They are bringing it back starting this year due to complaints from some agencies/offices that the PMF candidates they were getting from the written-only assessment were technically qualified but a bad "fit" for them or lacking in soft skills. When I get home next week I can check my notes from the presentation if anyone wants.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

Not sure what the basis for those complaints would be exactly, since it's not like any agency is obliged to accept any particular candidate at the job fair who's lacking the requisite "soft skills," whatever that means. Finalist status doesn't guarantee a job offer from an agency, or at least that's my understanding of the process.

Anyway, I can't speak for other people but as a PMF hopeful, I'd love it if you'd post your notes from the presentation, especially anything that pertains to the written or in-person exams.

You are correct about finalist status not guaranteeing an offer. I think their complaint was about the composition of the candidate pool. But yeah next week I'll try to find those notes. Anything specific you're interested in?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Monocular posted:

I graduated almost a year ago in International Studies: Global Commons and Environment (think poly-sci plus environmental studies) from UW Madison. I haven't been able to find a job in my major, and I've since been working as a waiter.

I took four years of Modern Standard Arabic and one semester of Sudanese Arabic, and I kind of figured that would land me a job somehow. Naive, I know. Turns out that people--especially USAJobs-- want fluency, and I'm not fluent. I was never able to study abroad because none of the courses offered contributed any credits to my major, so it basically would have been an expensive vacation I wouldn't have been able to afford anyway. I still have retained a great deal of the language and feel it would be easy to pick back up what I have lost, so what I am wondering is this: are there any government-sponsored programs/internships that could send me over to the Middle East?

Apply for a Fulbright? (just closed for this year but that means you have a while to prepare)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

So since I missed that phone call from the DSS is there a way I can call them back, since they seem absolutely disinterested in leaving voice mails?

I won't let a batch of chili be the reason that I missed taking this test.

Probably not but try to calm down. I know waiting for a call from a potential employer can make people anxious. It may take a few days for them to call you back. They probably have a list of a few thousand applicants they're trying to sort through right now.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

CherryCola posted:

Just got some fantastic news from my hiring mentor. Apparently I'm "in under the wire" aaaand my adjudication is due to wrap up "soon." I'm sure I shouldn't take this as gospel truth, but at least I know I won't be affected by a hiring freeze. Phew! Pay freeze? Well at least I'll be making more than I am now....

Congrats, that is good news.

This hiring BS is why I am trying to get in as a summer intern to a position that will convert me to full time.

Does the pay freeze mean no step increases, or no grade increases without a promotion, or what? The media hasn't put many details out yet.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

chuchumeister posted:

The email I got said this:

Maybe I read it wrong, but to me that referred to my location. I thought it was odd too, considering how many people in here are getting called up for interviews all around the country. Oh well. I'll just keep on a-truckin'.

My reading of that is that it refers to your numerical score on the introductory qualification scale. You made the cutoff to be considered eligible (meet basic qualifications) but did not make the cutoff to be considered competitive and referred to a hiring official. It is not related to geography.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

psydude posted:

Is the TSA a good way to get your foot in the door for other federal investigation agencies?

The vast majority of jobs in TSA, including the majority of Air Marshal positions, are protective in nature, not investigative. Not that it would be bad experience, but it wouldn't be the most relevant thing you could do if that's your objective.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

Do you have a checklist of common errors for the SF-86? I was fortunate enough that they sent that along with me and I only had to resend it 6 times!
:suicide:

Um...share? I didn't get one and I'm afraid I may make errors.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hey congrats, that is great news.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

CherryCola posted:

Aaaaalso, do any of you guys have apartment recommendations? I know it will be a while before I can actually get a place still, but I'd like to start looking around at different buildings.

I'll send you a PM in a minute

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

What was the web address for that security clearance database where you could see the ID, a description and whether it was approved or denied?

Are you talking about the DOD Industrial Security Clearance Decisions Database?

http://www.dod.gov/dodgc/doha/industrial/

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Giodo! posted:

Well, I'm not in the foreign service. I have deep roots in DC and am too happy being based here to want to move around that much. I wish I enjoyed living abroad more; I'd be really into being an FSO. Going to be doing a PMF at INL.

Congrats man, I'll be applying to PMF next year.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Rednik posted:

I went to one with a pretty solid Environmental Studies program, hence the interest in working with energy and the environment. I just applied to the EPA and FERC.

Does anybody know how quickly they respond to applications? Private firms have been pretty quick to respond (generally within a week or two, max) so far, but I'm worried in the public sector it might be a more prolonged process.

It totally depends. General wisdom is to apply and forget you ever did until you hear back. I am at various stages in the application/hiring process with multiple agencies. I have an app in at one that I turned in 2 months ago and haven't heard a word, whereas another I got a response in a few days. I applied for an internship last year and my status was "pending review" or under consideration or whatever for over 7 months and I was never notified of anything so I guess I didnt get it.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
De Nomolos, is there anything you can tell us about the regulations for the "pathways" programs? Specifically the recent grads and changes to pmf? I'm entering my last year of grad school and hoping this is wrapped up quickly so I can start getting more apps in.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Marek posted:

Hi guys, I've been looking around online for an answer to this, but haven't been able to find anything definitive. If someone can clear this background check issue up for me, I'd appreciate it.

I'm currently looking for work on USA Jobs for some basic legal assistant type work, and there are a few positions that have jumped out at me. The ones I am specifically looking at are in the Departments of Agriculture, Labor, Commerce and an administrative bureau for the federal courts. They're standard office jobs, not affiliated with the military, intelligence agencies or law enforcement. This is important because due to my fairly recent past with alcohol and drug abuse, I am not eligible for any type of clearance. I did a program successfully and stayed sober, but according to security guidelines I have to wait another 2 years before being able to obtain a clearance. Other than that, my credit is fine and I have never been arrested.

The issue is that for these jobs I have been looking at, many of them say that a government background investigation is required, with no mention of maintaining a clearance of any kind. So I'm really just wondering how thorough these government background checks are. Do they require the SF-86? Or is it just a basic credit / criminal history check? With no mention of obtaining and maintaining a clearance, does my dark past even matter?

Most likely a SF85P, for positions of public trust.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Out of the various "clearance jobs / cleared jobs" type sites, are any more legit or more effective?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Merrack posted:

Really, just ClearanceJobs.com will get you more than enough on its own. Be prepared for the phone calls and emails to still be coming on strong 6+ months later, even if you don't update your profile/spend any time on marketing yourself. Might want to consider a secondary email address, or something easily filterable.

Not for me, for an unemployed Reservist friend, but thanks, I will pass it along :)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

NnamkcebNairb posted:

So do they provide decent training? I don't really know anything about contracting, but the job requirements don't mention anything about prior knowledge about it.

What agency is it?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Looks like you need either a Master's or a Bachelor's with 1 year of relevant work experience, which would be "experience which is in or directly related to contracting work and which has equipped the applicant with the specific knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position to be filled."

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

GregNorc posted:

Wow. I assumed there was some separate payscale someone would snarkily link me to.

That's like, really amazing. I mean, when a university professor would be rolling in dough compared to federal employee with the same education, that's not good at all.

On USAJOBS, look for the line "Promotion Potential". That's the GS level that you can get promoted to while performing that particular job. Usually you get a few noncompetitive promotions, then one or two that you have to "earn" to reach that level. Then you start stepping up within that level.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Good luck to any goons who made it to semifinalist for PMF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

El Mike-o posted:

Also, how long is it going to take to schedule an interview jesus christ.

I'm in a hiring process that I've been told will last 1-3 years. Get used to it.