Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I apologize if I missed this somewhere, but my google search results were rather opaque.

I guess everyone gets some level of clearance, but in what ways would on-going mental health treatments affect your clearance/job-seeking? Most of the results I found mainly talk about what seems to be treatments or whatever in the past, not on-going. I know I fail the requirement to join something such as law enforcement, but would that be an accurate reflection in general of federal employment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

fivetwo posted:

Won't hurt you, really. Look at the last page of the SF86: http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf86.pdf

This only allows the background investigator to ask the question stated (Is the mental health issue going to cause this person to be a security risk?). Your doctor is going to answer honestly, so hopefully you haven't spent the last 5 years telling him how you have obsessive fantasies about being a Russian spy.

And I wouldn't say you were disqualified from law enforcement, but I'm not an authority on it. If you were applying for a law enforcement job that required a medical exam, you would also have the agency's doctors asking for very detailed notes about the treatment, prognosis, etc. Also, if you are currently taking meds, I guess that would be a consideration as far as your response time/cognition.

Either way, your personal doctor's opinion is going to be crucial to the way things play out.

I fully aware that I am disqualified from law enforcement for the most part. I brought that up as something that I came across at some point, just sort of as a reference. What I'm interested in isn't exactly top secret, but working with the military as non-enlisted would probably require some clearance. I just wasn't sure as to what extreme clearance and the like would be necessary. Working in an overseas military hospital for instance. I'm a Type 1 rapid cycling Bipolar, though obviously extremes like Schizophrenia would be deemed unfit.

Partially I'm curious whether I would even hear anything back telling me it was because of that.