Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marvin gaye vs .38
Jul 1, 2010

by Tiny Fistpump

Grand Fromage posted:

Edit: And I'll second the question about government jobs in NYC, I'd much rather live there than DC if I can manage it.

There are federal jobs in every major city I don't know why the OP focused on DC (I wouldn't be surprised if most federal jobs are found outside of DC to be honest)

Anyway the whole "knowing someone and getting an interview" doesn't happen for a vast majority of federal jobs - most of it is blind hiring that you have to apply through the system for. My recently retired dad was a GS-15 and my mom's a GS-12 (both CBP) and I have yet to get a federal job, and I've applied for six in CBP alone in the past year.

I also took the Immigration Enforcement Agent test for ICE, got a perfect score, AND they're both decades-long friends with the guy who does hiring for ICE in our city, and I still didn't get to the interview.

Skandiaavity posted:

people who know people, (i.e. like every private company). Confirm/deny?

Like I said above if the job has you applying online knowing someone isn't going to help until you actually get to the interview portion, which is probably months and several steps away. The good thing is the stupid system is being changed so you don't have to write crazy paragraphs for KSAs and only have to submit your resume, and the hiring person doesn't just get to see the three best candidates but can look at a much longer list.

Nessus posted:

Can you give some advice on how to write the KSAs? I tried looking at them while I was getting out of undergrad years and I just was like "Hm, so I'm supposed to write about how I did the job I'm applying for and provide details."

They're eliminating KSAs.

marvin gaye vs .38 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU