Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
I'm an engineer working for the Air Force, you can go ahead and add me to the OP if you want.

No I don't wear a uniform. No I'm not in the Army. Yes I am civil service. You wouldn't believe the people who don't believe in DOD civilians.

I was hired on as a part of the Palace Acquire Intern program. If you're a recent grad in a technical field you should definitely check it out. They accept some nontechnical people but it's much easier to get in with an engineering or science degree.

http://www.afciviliancareers.com/careers/hiringopportunities/students/palace/

I'm currently looking at jobs at overseas bases since it would be a great way to see the world while advancing my career at the same time. The Air Force loves breadth of experience and time spent overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

prussian advisor posted:

Can you talk more about how the program works? Which of the fields were you hired on for, and at what stage in your education? How competitive is the process generally, and what makes people more competitive for it in your experience?

I was also hired under PALACE acquire. I was hired into an aerospace engineering position out of college in Spring of 2006. My GPA was the only thing that really mattered at the time. I filled out an application at a college career fair and was offered the job on the spot (judging by this thread I may be the luckiest federal employee ever). It's gotten a lot more competitive since then and they no longer hire everyone who meets the GPA requirements but that still seems to be the most critical factor.

I know that the science and engineering PAQ program is pretty uniform but I hear that some of the other programs are very different and a lot more competitive. I have a friend who was hired into the program management field and if you happen to be going into that, I could ask her some more specific questions.

There are 2 versions of the program, 1 for people who already have their masters, and 1 for people who will get it while working for the government. Both are great programs as they give you a leg up for future promotions, basically golden boy status, and if you get the masters while working you actually get 3 semesters of paid time off to go to school. You really can't beat that.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
Talk about unintended consequences. If you acrue 6 hours of annual leave per pay period and it goes away at the end of the year, every single federal employee will take leave the last week of the year. If sick leave acrues at 4 hours per pay period and dissapears at the end of the year, I guess I can't get the flu until March. That leave policy makes absolutely zero sense unless they change to giving you a lump sum at the beginning of the year, in which case all they're doing is stealing peoples' acrued leave for no real measurable gain.

The pay freeze is cowardly enough, making cuts across the board instead of properly reclassifying overpaid positions to the right grade. GS-1 positions hover right around minimum wage, use them if their appropriate. The changes to leave policy are nonsensical and are likely to just waste money for zero gain.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Quarex posted:

But, you know. All of this does nothing to change the fact that whenever I fill out a position questionnaire I end up having no choice but to say "uhh, no, I have never done this" to multiple questions every time. Why, no; given that I have never worked for the government, I have indeed never presented my findings to the supervisory staff of a federal agency. Obviously this means I am only really cut out for entry-level jobs, and I do apply for all of those, but ... dang, have you read those questionnaires? I could have probably qualified for those jobs at 18. Where are the inbetween jobs?!?

When answering those questionaires it is very important that you don't pick the most accurate answer but the best answer that you can reasonably defend. Those questions are usually written by HR people with little to no knowledge of the position. You shouldn't lie but you should also assume that the person writing the questions has no idea what they are talking about and a poor grasp of English.

Anytime that the question says "and" assume that they meant "or". Always assume that the questions include the caveat "or experience with nearly identical duties outside the federal government". A good example is that I am applying for promotion positions and questions often ask about government specific leadership/organization/diversity experience. It is perfectly acceptabale to assume that my equivalent experience with non-profits outside of work counts even if the exact wording of the question implies that only leadership positions within federal service count.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Quarex posted:

That is super-helpful, thanks a lot! I did not expect the very next post to actually be related to my question. U-S-A!

Let me ask a very specific question and see if I am understanding you correctly--if the question asks, as this one does, if I have experience "reviewing policies and precedents to make recommendations for PSE program improvements," am I supposed to just pretend that "PSE" means whatever I want it to mean? Of course I have reviewed policies and precedents to make recommendations for program improvements--but I have no drat idea what the PSE is (I mean, it tells me it is Practical Skills Exam, but I obviously have never heard of it before today), and there are like six questions about it, ensuring I will be ignored for this job posting for answering "no experience" instead of "yeah actually, I did these sorts of things a lot, for multiple jobs ... just never regarding the Practical Skills Exam."

In this specific instance, I probably wouldn't put E on that one if you don't understand the terminology. Some better examples would probably be:

If the questionaire stated "Experience advising federal employees on the usage of government TSP plan" If you don't know what TSP means then you shouldn't answer E. If instead, you are aware that TSP is the thrift savings plan, the government version of a 401K, and in your last job you gave people advice on setting up 401K plans then answer E like a 401K is a TSP.

If the question stated "Experience repairing TH-1H aircraft" and you only had experience with repairing Boeing 747s you'd be lying to put down E. But, if you had experience repairing the civilian Bell Huey II and understood why that is equivalent, you could reasonably put down E.

Ultimately, the more high answers you put down the more likely you are to have your resume read by an actual person. On the other hand, if you can't easily explain your answer to these questions there's no chance that you would pass a resume review and interview. If you could not easily explain why you have experience in these areas to an interviewer you're just wasting everyone's time.

Due to the multiple choice format people will often answer these questions far too literally. You should treat it like an actual interview, answering in a way that puts your best face forward.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
I finally got my GS-13! Just waiting on my start date now. It looks like I'll be changing services; anyone know how that works? The OPM website is less than helpful.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Lilli posted:

So I've been looking at applying for government positions through USAJOBS recently, but I was wondering how writing a resume varied for USAJOBS relative to the private sector. I felt like I had a pretty decent resume put together for private sector jobs (in part thanks to the resume and interviews thread in BFC), but that thread essentially points to here about advice regarding resumes for federal jobs and its not really mentioned anywhere in the OP or the first few pages. I saw some of the requirements that certain job applications needed like your number of hours worked + salary and your previous supervisor's name and contact information that I normally wouldn't put on a resume, but does anyone have any general advice for crafting a resume for government job applications? Also I just got my name changed recently and my school hasn't updated my transcripts yet, and I'm qualifying for jobs in part because of my education. Should I attach my transcripts under my old name in addition to my court order as supporting documentation?

USA jobs generally does a good job of walking you through what information is required as long as you fill out all of the fields for each job. One thing I would recommend is trying to put down an equivalent GS level and career series for non-government jobs so that HR doesn't have to think too hard about your experience.

The general rule of thumb within the DOD is 1 page per year of experience, obviously decreasing a bit as the decades increase. I know that sounds extreme in comparison to the 1-2 pages typical in the commercial sector but it does seem to be the norm.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

Edit: what's everyone's favorite obscure federal agency?

Does the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps count? I always liked that the surgeon general was actually in charge of their own little army.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
The defense acquisition corps includes about 135,000 DOD office workers across the Army, Navy, Air Force, and DOD agencies. It consists mostly of engineers, program managers, logisticians, and contracting officers. The three main routes that I have seen to get in are prior military, engineering or science bachelors, or several decades as a WG mechanic. Most people do start as target 7/9/11s or 7/9/11/12s. Pretty much every one with just a GED went the WG mechanic route so if you're looking for a 12 or 13 it'd probably be faster to enlist or get an industrial engineering degree. When I first started reading this thread, it was pretty weird to see people with doctorates looking below GS-13. That seems really rare in the DOD.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

He Might Be Kilv posted:

Hey everyone, long time lurker first time posting because Best Friendo convinced me I have nothing to lose (please be gentle) - I'm gonna try to keep this as far from e/n as I can but I, too, would love some advice. Also let me know if I should take this plea elsewhere, can apply to like three different threads probably.

So I just turned 23 and I'm looking for a job here in Northern VA. Previously I worked for ~2 years as a contractor at a nearby government facility, just a lowly unarmed security guard; t'was I who would shepherd the custodians around the building. Didn't get much out of it apart from a loathing and distrust of my fellow man (everyone hated Security and SECURITY hated Security) and - lucky me - a secret clearance! Now, a year and change later, I'm finally looking at getting back into the working world.

My growing list of problems and worries? My resume consists of a high school diploma, unarmed security license, secret clearance, and about 2 years working access control and watching people clean restrooms. After reading the OP and checking on this thread every few months, I'm well aware there are things I could apply for, I just don't know what. I assure you my passion isn't in security (unarmed or otherwise), and I have a natural way with computers - more specifically programming languages and things of that nature. While I worked there, I met this badass transsexual retired Marine who was head of one of the Top Secret computer security areas or something, and every now and then I'd catch up with her and chat about what she did, clearance level permitting of course, and how I could maybe do it too. This was, god, years ago now but I feel like I remember her essentially saying [para] "Look, go get CompTIA A+ and Security+ certified and you can get pretty much any security job here. It's easy." Thing is... I don't know if that's really the case?

As of right now I'm studying to take the A+ exam because, well, couldn't hurt right? But I could always shoot for another security job. Or... anything else entry level with a secret clearance? I know like next to nothing about jobs in general so, I don't know how much of a foot in the door it really is. I could also go back to school and get an associates, I had something like a year plus' worth of experience? Took me some 15 odd years but I'm finally getting my ADHD treated again and while it isn't working wonders I can tell my ability to function on a daily basis is improving. Case & point, look! I'm actually trying to solve this whole no-job thing, albeit in a bit of a roundabout fashion.

Sorry this is such a confused, unplanned mess of text - it's 1am and this is all a rough topic for me. TL;DR I'm wondering, what are some entry level secret clearance jobs I could look into? Would A+ and / or Security+ (or a Java cert maybe?) be good compliments I should shoot for regarding computer security or programming or somesuch, or am I better off asking that the IT thread? Also, I left my job around October two years ago - I heard Secret clearances go inactive after two years, but my father swears it's seven now, is he full of poo poo and should I be worried about that too? Oh and while I'm at it, how easily can a Secret be upgraded to a TS/SCI or is that not a thing. Lastly, the requirements to apply as a federal employee rather than a citizen kinda confuse me: as a prior civilian contractor am I relegated to civvie jobs or are federal positions an option?

I'm near Fort Belvoir for what it's worth, and it seemed there were a few "We'll pay you $12/hr to copy documents in a scanner" positions if it comes down to it. Money isn't the issue for me right now, but rather finding something I'm good at and / or enjoy doing. With or without a degree it just seems like suffering. Thanks for reading, and really any advice would be greatly appreciated :unsmith:

Since security is where your experience is you could certainly apply to low level security position within the government but you are really unlikely to find one that doesn't go to a veterans. Also you won't get any special status for having a previous contractor position. The best thing to do here is to list the equivalent job series in your resume for that security work, apply to every position available on USAjobs, and view it a free lottery tickets.
If you want to go the contractor route, I've heard good things about clearancejobs.com I think that's the only way that you could capitalize on your preexisting clearance. Also you can not get an "upgraded" clearance unless you have a job that requires it.
Someone in the DC area would probably be better equipped to answer questions on good entry level jobs to look for in the area. Based on how you're described your experience I'd start with GS-01 or WG-01 pay grades.

Leviathan Song fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 10, 2015

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Max Peck posted:

The last two were 2004 and 1999. The next one is 2016.

Before jumping in to FEGLI you should also get a quote on term life insurance. Once you get into your late 20s / early 30s that's worth considering because the FEGLI cost increases pretty drastically with age.

https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/publications-forms/benefits-administration-letters/2011/11-205attachment.pdf

Insurance at 60 is around 26 times as expensive as insurance at 30 and you can lock in a comparable price through a term policy if you are healthy.

FEGLI, dental insurance, and vision insurance are all worth having outside quotes for so that you know whether you are getting a good price for your age, health, and location.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Question on career tracks: If I get hired for a GS 9/11/12 track at GS 9 (Master's Degree), then after a year I'm eligible to promotion to GS 11, right? So how common is it to be promoted after a year to the next level? Is this "theoretically possible but in practice never happens unless you're a Yale/Harvard grad with lots of experience, genius ideas and incriminating pictures of your boss," "probable if you're reasonably high performing, say top 30% or so", or "likely unless you're a gently caress-up"?

If it depends on the agency/department (I would assume it does), how much variance is there between departments?

Within the DOD it's all but guaranteed. If you're doing enough work to not be fired, it will happen.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

So if I could theoretically get a 5/15 job I could get in the door making ~30k and rocket to 6 figures in 5 years? And its practically gauranteed?

How do the steps play into yearly bumps? Do you only go through steps once youve maxed out your ladder?

You won't get step increases because you are eligible for the step and grade increases at the same time and the grade increases are much larger. You would need to be about step 4 in a grade to move into the next grade at step 2 per the OPM rules.

5/15 jobs don't exist as far as I know. 7/12 is the largest jump I've ever seen. 12/13 and 13/14 exist but usually anything ending above a 12 would only be one grade at a time. A ton of people just out of college enter under 7/12 or 7/11 because someone with 5 years work experience is worth twice as much as one just out of college.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Kolodny posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting that it's a five year ladder from 5 to 15. It reads to me like a bucket for EHA positions that can be anywhere from 5 to 15. The announcement doesn't necessarily reflect the paperwork you might sign on a job offer.
Still, never hurts to apply.
It includes the statement, "This public notice may be used to fill target grades (e.g. GS-05 Target GS-12)." The posting covers a broad range of openings and likely includes some target 11 and target 12 positions but I doubt there's an actual target 15 in there. It's one of those postings where you apply and see if you hit the lottery. It's so broad that they could offer you almost any engineering job in the entire Air Force.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Thanks for the info. I am still earning how to read these announcements.

7/11 provides some pretty low salary for an engineer. To be blunt, I dont know why would anyone take these jobs? If you dont have a nice payoff on the back end

They can be more or less competitive depending on the location and specialty. Locality pay is a joke in any major city but a GS-11 is competitive for an industrial engineer in the Midwest.

There are other advantages beyond purely salary. Job security is a huge one, with layoffs being almost non-existent. Your work hours will actually be 40 hours per week, 37 if you take advantage of fitness leave. Overtime is typically paid above and beyond your salary. The retirement benefits are amazing. The total compensation package is pretty comparable when you factor everything in.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

sparkmaster posted:

So I just got my first perm position for the Forest Service in Cali (2/2 in interviews woooo). Anyone know anything about the culture of region 5 FS and what I should do as a first time perm federal employee?
Some general first day advice:
Have a bank acount number and routing number ready for direct deposit.
Have information prepared for any student loans you have outstanding, in case your agency is offering repayment for years of service. That's usually a great deal.
Look up your options for retirement (tsp.gov), health insurance (https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/), dental vision and long term care insurance (benefeds.com). That way you can fill out the paperwork on entry rather than being clueless and overwhelmed.
Look up your local AFGE union and be informed about whether you choose to join or not.
Be prepared to fill out large amounts of paperwork.
Be prepared to do a lot of waiting.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Rakeris posted:

Is that the norm to fill out all that stuff on your first day? When I got hired they just emailed me all the stuff like 2 weeks before my start date and had me bring it in filled out.

It is in the DOD. Your agency may vary.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

sparkmaster posted:

So wait, as part of the onboarding, I have to print out the IT policy test, circle the right answers, and physically mail it to my supervisor?

Is this some sort of steampunk agency I'm stepping into? All I want to do is play with trees.

Sounds pretty tame to me. At one point my payroll process worked as follows:
1. Type up timesheet in specific format in excel.
2. Print, get supervisor signature, hand to secretary at base A.
3. Secretary types time info into unit payroll system.
4. Secretary prints out results of unit payroll system, get signature from supervisor.
5. Secretary faxes printout to base B payroll office.
6. Secretary at base B types everything into base B payroll system, prints results to pdf, emails to base C.
7. Base C inputs payroll information into Base C computer system at which point it disappears into the computer network; I think it's just computers from there.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

SpaceBanditos posted:

Yea it will work out one way or another, and even if it doesn't I just got notification this morning of selection for a GS-11/12 position that would be badass as well.

Best problem to have I guess.. :yotj:

I know there's a ton of personal stuff that has to be considered but discounting that for a moment..

Assuming I've done the math and would be comfortable doing either job, how dumb of an idea is it to take a GS-1102-09/11 job over a GS-0343-11/12 assuming the commute would be 30 min (GS9) vs ~1 hour assuming metro doesn't break (GS11)? Would I be seriously handicapping myself by having to look for a GS 12 position in 2 years when I could essentially begin the hunt for a GS 13?

EDIT for my overview of each!

0343-11/12:

+ Pay

+ GS11/12

+ Opportunity

+ 0343 series is a good career field even if it is somewhat general

+ Get to GS-13 Faster assuming I don't mess up and get canned.

- Commute (min of 1 hr each way assuming metro doesn't break, which it will)

- May be in over my head

- Less training and Certs?

- Did I mention the commute?

1102-09/11:

+ Commute (30 min each way accoring to google)

+ Opportunity

+ 1102 series is very structured basically become a FAR and DFAR master which every agency needs

+ Lots of training and DAWIA Certs

- May be boring

- Will have to find another job to get GS12 experience to get into a GS13 slot

- Pay would suck for 1 Year and be ok after that

Within contracting you will always have plenty of work and there is a lot of opportunity to move all the way up to GS-15 within that series, or cross-train into logistics and program management. As to whether you would like the work or the commute that's not something that we can answer.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Must Love Dogs posted:

Can't say I fault that behavior. The case law for social media in the federal government is still developing, and there have been cases where private discussion groups of federal employees on Facebook and the like have ended with removals under the Hatch Act after someone dimed them out to OSC.

It's also worth noting that this forum is not at all private. It's possible to lurk the forum and search it from Google without ever registering or participating.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
I'm also a bit confused about the criticism of a USAjobs resume. Other than being forced into reverse-chronological format over a functional resume it's not very different from any other resume format I've seen. The main difference with government resumes is that they are expected to be more detailed and thus longer. If you use the format properly you can put your most significant/relevant accomplishments at the top of each position section and someone skimming your resume should be able to read it just as easily as any other resume format. I'm with the posters who say that they already had someone in mind.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

That could almost work. If you have a family member who works for the government/military, people may think it's related to that!

I hope that's a joke. The investigator is not going to lie to them, if the investigator talks to your employer they are going to tell them. Pretty much the first thing that they say is who they are doing a background investigation on. They might not even talk to your work anyway since they only have limited time. They're probably more interested in your personal references, family members, and any job that you were terminated from.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Spacewolf posted:

For the record, I live in Monmouth County, along the shore - LI is 2-3 hours by train if not more, and Philadelphia is...Oh God, I don't even remember how long by train.

And since moving is not yet an option for a bunch of reasons...No fed jobs for me, I guess. :saddowns:

You're pretty close to Lakehurst/McGuire/Ft. Dix. Air bases are frequently looking for low level laborers to wash aircraft. It sucks for a couple of years but then you have status for any internal positions. I know a lot of office types and mechanics that used it to get their foot in the door; I even know a GS-14 that started out that way.

Leviathan Song fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 9, 2016

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Hahaha! Slick. Now I feel ... better? Well, "part of the club" anyway.

I asked HROC whether they could tell me any more information about the insta-rejection but I am not actually expecting a response. Kind of scares me about putting real effort into applying for anything other than "direct promotion for your current job" though. And of course even that apparently could go wrong. Sigh. USAJobs everybody! Wooo!

The "rate yourself all 5s" thing bothers me to no end. I have heard so many people say it does not matter, but one (only one, admittedly) of my co-workers said he got an angry e-mail accompanying his denial to some application for pretending he qualified for a job he did not. Then again, that might not have been "rating yourself 5," it might have been something else in the application.

I just feel like if I answer the question "I have performed extensive interviews about immigration benefits" with anything but an "uh, not really" that I will be arrested

I've talked about this a few times before in this thread but the biggest thing to keep in mind is that the questionnaires are an electronic job interview, not an sat question. You should be answering with the highest number that you can possibly justify with your work experience if you were asked that question in an interview. The questions are typically written by HR people who probably have a much worse understanding of the job duties than the applicants.

In the above example what does extensive mean; a lot, 2 long ones, detailed ones? What exactly is an interview? Does helping some neighbors with benefit paperwork count? What if it took a month worth of back and forth? There's nothing wrong with using their vagueness to tout your real experience rather than reading the question literally and disadvantageously. As long as you can give a solid example of why you answered 5 no one will arrest you. I don't know if it's possible to have worse consequences for repeat offenses but outright lying is mostly just going to lead to someone tossing your resume in the trash, wasting their time and yours.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I had an on-site last Tuesday, one of 3 candidates flown out. Still waiting to hear back on that :ohdear:

But I got a call from someone new from the same agency to confirm my identity and location, saying they are scheduling interviews and would call me tomorrow (no time was set).

This really confuses me because I only applied to the original department and all the other openings are for unrelated positions. It couldn't be a proper phone interview otherwise they would schedule a time, so what is going on? :psyduck:

My main concern is that this is a sign the original department passed on me and I'm being cast off for a less desirable position.

I don't think there's any way for us to know what's happening. It could be another department interviewing you. It could be that HR screwed up and is trying to conduct already completed interviews. They may need to ask you or all three of you a few more questions before giving out a final offer. Maybe the candidate they offered it to declined and there's some formal process before they reoffer it to one of the two of you. You'll just have to wait and see.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

ixo posted:

so who else uses webTA to enter their time/attendance, and who else feels like making GBS threads on someone's desk right now?

Whenever I think my timekeeping system is bad I reflect back on the system I used when I first started with the government:
1. Type up timesheet in special required excel form with many locked and archaic cells.
2. Print out and give to supervisor for signature.
3. Supervisor gives it to secretary.
4. Secretary types into special form producing program that only works on her special timekeeping computer.
5. Secretary prints form off and faxes to Randolph AFB.
6. Randolph AFB secretary types form into local HR computer system.
7. Computer system spits out a report to a secretary at Wright Patterson AFB.
8. Secretary at Wright Patterson AFB types it into actual payroll system.

I only determined this through my attempts to trace errors that this system produced which were pretty significant. We've come a long way since 2006.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Did you tell this story earlier in the thread, or is it just that endlessly convoluted recordkeeping tales are all equally distressing? That is so fantastic either way. And why we should clearly appreciate WebTA in some vague sense.

I think I may have. It's just too ridiculous not to share.

Leviathan Song fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 2, 2016

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Rip Testes posted:

I feel so screwed now. Wife was trying to land a fed gig and now my fed gig is in question. We bought a house not too long ago at DC prices which seems to make my situation more screwed if housing prices start to come down. Also I've been jonesing to jump my current position to another fed positions. Looks like I'm stuck. I guess I should be thankful if that's the most of my worries. Will a hiring freeze mean no laterals?

Hiring freezes nearly always allow laterals but you will likely need approval from your current supervisor to move and they won't be thrilled to lose someone with no replacement in sight.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
If you want crazy low locality pay try Boston. I turned down an engineering supervisor position because all I could afford was a studio apartment in a bad neighborhood. Everyone in that office that owned a house was in their late 50s and bought like 30 years ago. I have no idea how they're going to fill that position.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
Just received the Navy guidance on the hiring freeze, I would expect it would be at least the same across DOD but who knows:

1. The freeze does not apply to military personnel.

2. The freeze applies to any transfers, reassignments and promotions of current federal employees.

3. Individuals who received final job offers prior to January 22, 2017, and received a confirmed start date on or before Feb 22, 2017, should report to work as planned.

Sounds like good news for some of you with offers right now.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
Agreed. I was a COR for a while and it didn't really seem that bad. It was a lot more cut and dry than a lot of the engineering paperwork I had to sign off and you're just as screwed if you mess that up. If anything people who didn't take the training were way more likely to get themselves in trouble.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Atican posted:

Hey, are there any National Park Rangers on here who could give me some advice, or do you guys know any goons who is/are one? I'm thinking about (1) volunteering this summer, (2) going through one of the parks law enforcement academy programs, and/or (3) trying for seasonal employment with neither of those. Can someone get employment with only doing one of these, and how difficult is it to get seasonal employment without volunteering or without a law enforcement or environmental background? I have a BA in political science and philosophy and a Master of Public Administration degree, and a few years of work in the nonprofit sector (and government internships). I basically want to switch careers. I have some environmental coursework but nothing close to a major/minor. Thanks to anyone out there.

My wife tried unsuccessfully for 3 or 4 years to get on with the NPS and it was completely swamped with vets. If you're already willing to do volunteer work you might consider the peace corps. My understanding is that they have equivalent standing to veterans' preference.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

What's the typical format for a Federal Resume? I've seen several examples online and just like regular resumes, the formats seem all over the place with regards to what to include and in what order.

USA jobs guides you through the correct format for resumes in terms of order and what to include. Fill out every single block when it comes to things like hours per week and equivalent GS level and series for a position. Leaving anything blank basically tells the computer to bin your resume.

The main difference from other resumes is that a federal resume is much more detailed. Other resumes are typically 1-2 pages. Federal resumes are typically 1 page per year of your career and should include specific projects and accomplishments, ideally with quantitative descriptions.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

El Mero Mero posted:

My bad, I guess the USA-jobs title had me thinking it was more jobs-search focused. Whelp, okay. I'm in my agency at a 9/11/12 track, which is nice - but I'm also in a situation where half of my office is retiring around me and the work that the 13's and even SES's that all retired this year is now on me with no promise of any replacements ever coming. I've pretty rapidly been getting handed roles/responsibilities that one might expect someone a little more senior to be doing (i:e: negotiating items/representing the agency in person/overseeing multi-million dollar grants) with little upward reporting, guidance or oversight.

I haven't blundered as of yet and I'm starting to feel rather underpaid for the responsibility I'm filling. Is there anyway to move up the gs system faster without lateral moves to other agencies/offices?

The things you need to do to get a 13 are going to vary between agencies and offices. Once you've been in your 12 position for about a year, apply for any 13s that become available. You can usually ask the panel members if you get to an interview or the supervisor otherwise for some advice on how to do better next time. In my experience they are excited to be able to explain how the process works and how to be a good candidate. They tend to get a lot of bad candidates and very little opportunity to explain themselves to interviewees.

One of the best pieces of advice that I got out of that was to try to put together a list of about 3 things you did each week then use these to update your resume every 6 months or so. That way you will have a lot to talk about in the interview. In federal jobs you will have a hard time moving to a 13 unless you can show that you did 13 work while a 12 so you're honestly on the right track by taking on responsibilities above your pay grade.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Artificer posted:

I emailed a contact listed on a job announcement a question regarding a cover letter and the only response was that the job listing did not require a cover letter. The announcement did, in fact, not require a cover letter. So is it one of those things that is optional but "recommended" or will people not even read them at all?

I don't think I've ever heard of including a cover letter for a federal job. Generally if a piece of paperwork is not required then it's strongly discouraged.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Artificer posted:

Why is this the case? Too many applications for them to possibly want to bother with it?

Government hiring takes things like ADA and equal treatment of minorities very seriously. A cover letter creates an opportunity to discriminate against protected classes in subtle ways. It's very easy to signal that you are in the boys club with an open ended document like that. Government hiring leans more towards the quizzes and resumes because they are more fact based and less personal. In theory, they try to filter all information getting to the hiring authority in a way to make the process as fair and fact based as possible. The effectiveness of this process is obviously up for debate but that's the rational behind it.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Artificer posted:

So...what are new applicants for the federal government *supposed* to do for the assessments? Just lie and hope whatever justification they can come up with holds up if it comes up in the interview? I sure as hell don't have years dealing with customer service in a military setting or teaching popular training courses at the workplace or what have you.

If you genuinely can't come up with a bullshit answer for why you're an expert then you actually probably wouldn't have done any better at a private industry interview. The whole point of any interview process from the interviewee's perspective is to put your best face forward. You are not trying to inform the interviewer, you are trying to sell yourself. A lot of people try to answer these questions like an SAT question but it's not; it's a digital interview. You shouldn't lie but you should explain why you are the best person for the job.

A good example for showing expertise would be a story about how you trained someone else in how to do someone else to work in the area of the question. No one can say you lied about being an expert if someone came to you for help in the area and you successfully improved their skills. They can argue that someone is more of an expert, but not that you are not an expert yourself. Training others is a positive thing in and of itself and one of the easiest things to throw out there to show both expertise and motivation in an interview setting.

There is also the defense of, "I assumed that HR put that in by mistake." If you can remove the words "department of defense" and everything subject matter wise would make you an expert then you have a good argument to make in an interview. I recall a single question that the Air Force was using for a while on all aerospace engineer postings requiring experience in something like, "fighter, bomber, vertical lift, and drone avionics, propulsion, structures, flight controls, hydraulics, electronics, and environmental control systems." Beyond the fact that no person on the planet is an expert in all of those areas, I don't think that drone environmental control systems even exist. You just have to assume they meant "or" instead of "and" or the question borders on nonsense. No interviewer is going to argue in good faith that government HR creates well written screening questions and if they did, no one would take them seriously. You just need a persuasive argument for what you imagined they meant.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Howard Phillips posted:

Hey guys new to applying via USAJobs. Few questions:

1. Postings say cover letter not required. Should I submit one anyways?
2. After I finished applying to a job (DON, Engineering) it says "incomplete haven't received resume yet" even though I submitted it. Does it take some time for them to process the resume or did I mess it up?
3. If I'm trying to get a job by May is it appropriate to be applying to jobs with closing by mid November? I can't seem to find information on when they expect people to start if hired.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't bother with the cover letter, it's unlikely to end up in front of the actual hiring manager. Make sure that your resume is very thorough instead.

I wouldn't worry about the closing dates. If they're looking for new grads they'll understand you graduating in May. If they're not looking for new graduates, they'll toss out you're resume and that's not really you're problem. Make sure you list you're expected graduation date on your resume. DON hiring can take anywhere from weeks to months so no one outside the specific hiring office for that position can really tell you how long it will take.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, that morphed into a rant halfway. I've repeatedly had meetings or conversations with decently well-placed people in federal government who want to hire me or find positions for me in research or health policy analysis and development, but who are subject to a hiring freeze, and who suggest organizations (USADA, several NIH offices, etc etc) that are either a) also frozen, b) are hiring the bare minimum of frontline science personnel to keep the lights on, or c) are just posting positions because they have to in order to perform internal promotions. Opening doors that reveal a brick wall is getting really frustrating. I've just gotten my applications far enough into the FDA that human beings are looking at some of them, but that process could take months with no guaranteed positive outcome. Meanwhile, I'm about to get my degree and start growing a time gap on my resume.

My question is this, I suppose: which federal entities that do pretty much anything with science or health aren't subject to either an official hiring freeze, or a soft hiring freeze where they're only running internal promotions?

(I'm now looking at the VA portal, don't know why that hadn't occurred to me, thanks)

There's always DOD. We don't seem to have any hiring freeze issues in the Department of the Navy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

The timing of this shutdown is just....just the absolute worst for my job search. I literally got my terminal diploma in the mail on Thursday. Of course, there are a lot of other people in far, far worse situations, but on a personal level it's pretty drat depressing.

There's no way this will have a noticeable affect on your job search. The hiring process takes months and usa jobs will continue running on autopilot for the hours or days the shutdown lasts.