Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tremendous Taste posted:

I took an online test for an IRS contact representative position. I think I did pretty well on the Q/A session but the data entry was marred by some poor (read: hilariously bad) responses to keystrokes and I hosed up one or two instances. Should I send an email about this or would it reflect poorly on me? I can grin and bear it if giving notice wouldn't help me but I'd hate to think I missed out on an opportunity because I got too flustered trying to bang in a letter to catch a full zip code.

Huh, I applied for one of those positions. Haven't received any notice of a test to take... that seems like a bad sign. Good luck with your application, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I'm signed up to take a TAP-S assessment for the contact rep position with the IRS. Anyone have any experience with it? Any particular tax issues I should brush up on beforehand?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tremendous Taste posted:

Before the shutdown I was on the precipice of taking an exam for a basic contact rep job with the IRS. Should I trust them to contact me like they said they would last month, or should I put that on myself over today or tomorrow?

They contacted me today for that, so it should go forward. People probably have a stack of work to get through on their desks.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I was sent a conditional offer a few weeks ago; I did the onboarding stuff and the fingerprint scans last week. About how long before they come back with a firm offer? (Contact rep w/IRS)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I applied in August and started in January, and that was with the shutdown delaying all the interviews for 3 weeks. Depends on the agency, probably.

But earlier is better.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So, as part of the sequestration/budget compromise in 2012, Paul Ryan had had the FERS contributions for new employees (like me) bumped up to 4.4%. Now he's proposing that it be increased even further, with additional cuts in the (non-military) civil service, including a 10% cut to staff, and limiting hiring to 1 for every 3 employees cut or "reduced". So, even though hopefully his proposed budget is a non-starter, I guess my question would be, is it a violation of the Hatch Act to hope that something unpleasant happens to him? Like maybe a painful rash or an unsightly boil? Or should I just refrain from hoping that while in the federal building?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

How is that job crappy? I mean crappy in what way? Every time I've called the IRS, they've been exceedingly helpful, and haven't seemed like they were rushing for a quota or anything.

Is putting up that facade despite relentless metrics obsession the way that it sucks?

I work in one of the call centers, and I quite like it. Just started, but there are people who have worked there for 10+ years. It isn't as unpleasant as all that, but you do have to do a lot of things correctly, and they will fire you if make too many mistakes. The "crappy" parts of it are hat it is largely seasonal, so that about half the call center is furloughed every year, and thanks to budget cuts, training cuts, and hiring freezes, it is difficult to switch into something more permanent.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
IRS phone positions opening for next tax season. Lots of them open, and not just in the big service centers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

Don't forget the 13 days of sick leave and federal holidays. It works out to 36 days off and is wonderful.

And government shutdowns! They usually pay you afterwards.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Just got my single sign on smart card after only a year. Thank effin' gsa.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Quarex posted:

Yes, yes, understandable.

To expand: They started hiring from the moment they made the announcement of the executive action, and the hiring is undoubtedly ongoing for months though I imagine they have already gotten a lot of the basic staff they are going to need to get going ... well, I mean, as far as I can tell, they have not actually HIRED anyone yet, but several of my Vermont Service Center co-workers got the "OK we probably want you, hold on" message. But ... yes. The pace of hiring is worrying even in the nearly-best-case scenario. It was 7 months from my application to my job offer (nearly 9 if you only count it as a real offer if they give you a start date, haha). But the Crystal City thing is probably going to be hiring on an accelerated schedule assuming the Republicans do not invoke the forgotten 1848 Shire Landsknecht Abrogation Law Takebacksies Screed and somehow stall the hiring, in lieu of being able to actually stop the program.

Isn't DHS going to run out of funding in March? Could be impacting hiring if they're conserving operational funds or something.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

De Nomolos posted:

Weird. We never did such a thing. Do you share a building with the Feds? Maybe we don't have it bc we're next door rather than sharing with SSA. I have to sign in and out when I go over and my state badge doesn't work, but we all do the same work.

Anyone else apply for Railroad Retirement Board's mass listing end of last year? I know they were hiring in at least 10 locations. I made the cert. Share when/if you get a call! I applied for the listings here as well as in Baltimore.

I just applied for a listing last month, are you saying they still haven't interviewed after a year? That's disheartening.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Justus posted:

A month is absurdly fast. It took me 4 months to get my secret level clearance, and I've got a buddy who got a top secret that took well over a year!

Also yes, you put in your two weeks too early. When dealing with federal jobs, you shouldn't make any moves until you have a firm offer with a starting date in writing.

Yeah, I didn't put in my 2 weeks until I got a letter, and even then it got pushed back because off something called a "government shutdown". So yeah, hurry up and wait.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So, who's ready to be phished by Chinese hackers?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yep, this was it. Despite there being a section that says "Required Documents" that only lists the resume/questionnaire, buried in the listing nowhere near the "required documents" is a paragraph that says I need to submit a copy of my bar card or printout from the state bar showing my license is active. Pretty dumb considering all you have to do is search my name in the bar database, but there it is and it's on me for not seeing that paragraph (and I routinely submit proof of good standing for other jobs when it's listed).

Lesson learned.

Federal HR computers are even lazier than Federal employees, so that is a step too far for them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
When a job is listed as "Full Time - Temporary NTE 180 days, will not be extended and will not be made permanent", what happens at the end of the 180 days? Would I get my old position back, or are you then released from the service?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Half day on Xmas eve! Thanks Obama!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Dislike button posted:

I got the same email from my union and already sent my Rep an email. Unfortunately he is borderline tea-party and so his response to this

is probably 'good' and unfortunately a not-insignificant portion of the population seems to agree. No pride in having a great well-run government anymore.

What do you think our raises will look like under President Trump?

Defenders of the Wall will get nice raises, COLA, maybe even pensions (or be entombed within the wall, hard to say). IRS will probably have their pay docked to pay him back for all the inconvenience they've caused him. Hard to say about anything else, but wall duty will probably sound good. Hatch, if you're reading this, I'm on break and on my phone.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Spacewolf posted:

Same here. I'm sure they exist, but I've never seen them. All I want is a GS-5 where I won't get bumped by veterans and my Schedule A means a drat.

Where in the country do you live? IRS hires lots of seasonal employees, look out for jobs opening up at their big processing centers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Spacewolf posted:

New Jersey.

There's a center on Long Island and in Philadelphia. Smaller ones, but you could check them out. Dunno much about east coast geography, though. Your states are like our counties, right? So maybe not too far? One thing about federal employment is that being willing to relocate gives you a lot more opportunities. I want to stay in my podunk town, so there aren't a ton of opportunities, but if you can relocate, you can find more opportunities.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Word on the street is that Claims Examiners for the SSA do full telework. At least, that's what my coworker said about her husband.

As far as a shutdown is concerned, pretty sure our agency isn't "vital", so it looks like some mandatory unpaid vacation time is in the cards.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Who knows, but I thought the Peace Corps didn't send people to warzones. Is the fighting over in the Ukraine yet?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Anyone get an email asking for volunteers to go work for FEMA for a few weeks?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah, apparently you have to already have a government credit card to do it, and they're not going to issue one so you can do it. Which is weird, because the only people in our office that have them are managers, so that excludes like 90% of the office from volunteering.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Remora posted:

That looks very similar to the system that keeps IRS going.

Yeah, it's not great.

IDRS for lyfe. All the noobs have to use IAT tools instead of interfacing directly with the machine.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Remora posted:

IAT is for code lookups, terminal input is for making the machines dance to your whims. :respek:

Web interface systems are for... losing transcripts and confusing old people, apparently?

AMS is for finding someone to blame.

Man, don't get me started on people that don't leave AMS notes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Portland, OR, just hit g-8, woo. Can't wait for some actual positions to open up in this city. Should only be a few more years.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We were just told that we are essential. No furlough for me.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm already seeing tweets from local DC establishments offering free stuff to government employees if they're not working on Monday (eg, local barbecue place offering free pulled pork sandwiches on Monday if you're not working because of the shutdown and show your ID).

That sounds like a violation of ethical rules.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Do we still have health insurance during the shutdown?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
IRS is hiring a huge batch of full time seasonal permanent employees this year.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Full time: 40 hours
Seasonal: only work part of the year.
Permanent: You don't need need to reapply each year.

Season can be any where from 6 months to 11.5 months. There are benefits and it is on the GS pay scale.

The only people that are automatically audited are the president, the VP, the Secretary of the Treasury and the IRS Commissioner.

sullat fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 14, 2018

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

That was my first gov’t gig, all 2 months of it. Beware the ol’ auto-audit though.

Now that I think about it, it isn't an audit per se, since that is a very specific process, but the background check does include a review of taxes for any missing returns. And periodic checks to make sure that you don't forget to file while you're working there.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slaan posted:

My wife and I want to have a kid next year. Good to that bcbs is fine for maternity stuff. I'm currently on a dirt cheap local hmo that I don't trust for anything. I'll probably go for blue cross for next year

Yeah, I have BCBS for the family and have no complaints. Had an expensive incident last year, long ambulance ride + 2 day hospital stay and paid almost nothing for it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

incels interlinked posted:

For anyone with an accounting background: Over 400 IRS revenue agent jobs opened today, they journey at the grade 12 level now too.

This is part of a big hiring push. 700 Revenue Officers, 400 RAs and Tax Compliance Officers coming soon. RO and TCO don't require accounting background.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
TCO is coming soon, they didn't give us a posting date. Going to apply for that job, it seems OK?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hope I'm not essential. Says the agency head can make people come in if needed.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

That's true to an extent for every government closure, whether it's caused by funding, weather, or anything else. The "essential" designation is usually somewhat formal and if you're not sure you are then you likely aren't, but check with your bossmasters before you no-show.

Yeah, we'll probably get told Monday or Tuesday what's going to happen. "Essential" is pretty ad hoc where we are, so I'm sure it is going to be a mess whatever it is.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Kase Im Licht posted:

I think more likely than not we get the 24th off, but I don't feel particularly confident about it.

We are getting two hours off to be used anytime in December, aren't you guys as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Artificer posted:

I still haven't seen the TCO announcement for the IRS. I assume others interested in it haven't seen it yet either?

I heard they were doing RA and RO positions first.