Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I need to get back on the inside something fierce, but I don't qualify for any of the reinstatement stuff. Right now I'm contracting at a GS-12 equivalent, but I think OPM is just shitcanning most of my applications before I even get to the BQ list because they are under-rating my experience. Is there a good way to find out exactly which checkboxes I'm failing to hit on an application so I can rejigger my resume to at least hit the BQ list (when the things aren't monopolized by Vets, a thing that happens in my office a lot)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

I need to get back on the inside something fierce, but I don't qualify for any of the reinstatement stuff. Right now I'm contracting at a GS-12 equivalent, but I think OPM is just shitcanning most of my applications before I even get to the BQ list because they are under-rating my experience. Is there a good way to find out exactly which checkboxes I'm failing to hit on an application so I can rejigger my resume to at least hit the BQ list (when the things aren't monopolized by Vets, a thing that happens in my office a lot)?

Dragging this back from the last page since I'm getting desperate as a real nice position I'm perfectly qualified closes tomorrow and I really don't want to end up getting left off again because they aren't counting my contracting position as the proper GS equivalent.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Did they rename CAs to CSs or is it that CAs are just an OCO thing?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Anyone with use-or-lose going into Xmas is a moron.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://twitter.com/sarahnferris/status/1075926656290881536?s=09

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
OPM says you lazy fuckers should just barter your handyman services to your landlord in the interim.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Discendo Vox posted:

That's unfathomably dumb.

Check out the new guy. You're going to have to learn to fathom harder in the dumb mines if you want to survive in Fedtown.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

El Mero Mero posted:

I'm kinda surprised that there hasn't been more talk of (admittedly illegal) walkouts of essential personnel.

If you aren't getting paid, it's not illegal.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Thesaurus posted:

Striking is illegal for feds. However, I'm guessing if it's an individual decision it wouldn't fall under that rule.

I was under the impression that Taft-Hartley may not apply to unpaid employees.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Correct, but suits are currently under way based on the premise that non-payment breaks the agreement.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Small White Dragon posted:

You don't think there'a any chance the Democrats will cave?

If they do, they get primaried into the ground, every last one of them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Tuesday/Friday telework crew checking in. Monday holidays are A++

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
So, I'm in a real weird spot a d could use some advice. I'm a former fed back as a contractor, and I'd really like to come back in-house. I've been on this contract for just over 7 years now, and there's been a few postings in my division that I BQ for, and despite getting along well with my Branch chief, being well-respected both inside and outside the division, and having an impressive list of achievements on the contract, I've always heard through back channels that the Division Director has some inexplicable grudge that causes them to intercede directly to block me from getting any of the Fed openings in the division. This week, we accidentally got another opening, very unexpectedly, and it's on a team that I'm very familiar with and very qualified for. In addition, because they didn't have any requirements prepped, they accidentally wrote the posting in a fashion that there may be less than 10 people in the world to qualify for, and I'm definitely one of them. It wasn't written for me, but it may as well have been. They also added some weird requirements to the application process that I picked up on that I think 99% of people would have missed. In total, I'm pretty sure that they made a posting completely through happenstance that I'm very much the only person that could possibly qualify for. But, I feel it in my bones that the Division Director is going to try and screw me out of this one more time. Do I have any legs to stand on, here? Since these are external postings, they don't even interview for them, generally. They just pass a name up and it gets done. Is there any way to communicate to OPM my concern about this without jeopardizing my chances? Would AFGE get involved if I could show that proper hiring practices weren't getting followed? What with Covid making it real hard to find a position elsewhere right now, and this posting being a massive, massive pay increase (and basically being the sort of position I'd ride out to retirement, so also a complete end to job stress), I could really use this position.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Xelkelvos posted:

So the IRS gave me a tentative offer for a position, but in order to get my fingerprinting for it, the closest place within the month of May or June (the position is slated for June) I can do it is five hours away. Should I just bite the bullet and make the drive or should I hold out for something else to happen or for another position?

Note: I am currently in Jacksonville, FL and the position I applied for is in Philadelphia, PA as I have family in the area I could temporarily move in with short term while I find a place.

Suck it up, poo poo's about to get real and you don't want to be in FL for that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Password Managers are not agency-approved software.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ok, cool, cool, cool. What do? I assume just max out TSP. What else do I need to know? I haven't done this in a long time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Terror Ninja posted:

If it is your first fed job try and negotiate step and leave accrual. I got 6 years of contracting time towards the leave scd and step 10.

It's not. I had almost 6 years in the first time, but I left in 2007. I have been contracting at the same agency for a while now, though. Is that something I'd talk to OPM about?

My timeline is:
4/2001 - 3/2007 - SSA (fed)
3/2007 - 3/2013 - Various
3/2013 - 7/2020 - SSA (contract)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hoo, boy. I never would have thought of that, but yeah, I'm just moving branches in the same division, so the workloads are highly related. I'll see if I can reach the HR contact on Monday.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Max out TSP and hope for remote work

The agency has zero plans to put people back in the office for the forseeable future, and I'm going to be keeping my same laptop and PIV card (at least until they print the replacement). I may not even have to come into the building at all.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Loucks posted:

the initial step advantage disappears as you promote.

Also, yeah, promotion is completely unlikely. I'll probably ride this one to the grave (mine, or the agency's).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Xelkelvos posted:

As a follow up to this, when I do take the firm offer from the IRS as Goons have suggested, how would I quit the position in the event the DoD at Ft. Hamilton gives me their firm offer before I'm due to start in Philly (8/31 for reference)? Is it just notify my would-be supervisor and do the paperwork they hand me or what?

Go through your OPM contact.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I mean this in the nicest way:

If you use the same resume twice, you done hosed up.

As people have mentioned, you need to tailor each resume to the posting. It matters a lot less that your resume looks coherent or that it tells the real narrative of what you do, but it matters 110% that it is coded to pass OPM.

Since you are rewriting the thing every time anyway, keep a master copy on USAjobs and an offline master copy in Word, and rewrite the key sections every time. After you do that, just send off the copy and nuke it because you'll never use it again.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

wolfs posted:

Hello thread-

I recently got my hours cut in half, 40 to 20. I filed for unemployment already, but who knows how that’ll go.

I look at rocks for the Texas Department of Transportation, at a TxDOT building, but my actual employer is a national technical consulting / engineering company that goes around and buys smaller companies that do that kind of thing.

Crucially, I don’t have my bachelor’s degree in geology (I stopped 2 classes short to work- I have something like 114 credit hours), but I do have 3 years experience doing petrographic work for TxDOT under their contract with this company.

Could I conceivably do something for FEMA? I live in Austin. I’m not a veteran.

Looking at the FEMA listings here: https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/Results?l=Texas&a=HSCB&hp=public&p=1

Looks like almost all of them allow substitution of experience for education. I'd put in for some, even if it's not your field, as long as the pay can hold you and you can meet the requirements. It's easier to move internally than get hired externally (and almost no internal movement requires degrees).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GD_American posted:

I mean I've got stories, but this SSA job is by far the least demanding, best paid job I've ever had. My worst day sitting at my dining table answering calls from people too dumb to formulate the question they want to ask is better than the best day I ever had crawling out of a ballast tank.

I've never worked with such a broad spectrum of accomplishment in one place before either. We've got exceptional people that I try to emulate in little ways, and we've got people I think should be arrested for stealing their paycheck.

One of us! One of us!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

marchantia posted:

SSA jobs can hard, keeping up with numbers is hard and the training is often insufficient for the actual work you do. Don't beat yourself up.

But, like Who's Line, all the numbers are made up and don't matter.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Meanwhile I was told I was unqualified for the SSA GS-7 I applied to, despite five years as a GS-9 at USCIS, which as far as I can tell is the immigration equivalent of SSA

Next time, send me the posting you are looking at. Your experience is completely irrelevant, it's all about the keywords.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
v0v, SSA has a 3 and a half hour window (at least at HQ) to show up, so I don't think it's crazy unreasonable to be like "just clock in when you get in/on". Like, nobody of significance gives a poo poo if when you come in during that window, just that you do and that you're honest about it, which seems like a trivial ask.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Lol, the bikini did it before the burger, you nerds. Most federal agencies are full of, and run by, puritanical boomers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

So someone I know already has a contact for a job that was just posted. Straight Es or no on the questionnaire?

Do you want to get hired?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

FredMSloniker posted:

Is there a way to search USAJOBS by qualifications or job level or what have you? I'm trying to get back in the real workforce after a stint with Doordash, and I'm trying to find a 'get your foot in the door' type job.

Don't underestimate yourself. Most jobs can be done with anyone with a pulse. Shotgun apps and see what's working and what isn't.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Pages? I would not even know how many pages my ~digitally submitted form resume~ is. Who even tracks that?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

I graduate with my master's in accounting in about three months. Currently trawling through usajobs, can I put that I already received my master's in the multiple choice or is that a big no no?

edit: and do you still put e's if you are substituting experience for education?

Absolutely list it. In the unlikely event that your start date is in less than 3 months, and it would be a dealbreaker for them, oh well. The other 99% of the time, it's in your favor. The only way you could possibly get in trouble for it is if you get hired before completing your master's and don't disclose it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
STANDING OFFER: I will review any resume for any position. Just PM me the listing and the resume or link in any format. Here via PMs or toshimo@toshimo.com.

Let it be known: I don't give a flying gently caress if you are on-paper qualified for a position. Are you putting in for stuff beyond your reach? loving good. I'll help you tailor to fit. I won't tell you to lie. I won't break any laws. But, I drat sure will give you a better fighting chance than you'd have by being timid, or even worse, not applying.

Most of the Feds I've worked with over the years weren't half as qualified as they pretended to be, and if you're not gonna be a shithead and you're willing to learn on-the-job, I'd rather see you get it than someone who's all-paper-no-sense.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

STANDING OFFER: I will review any resume for any position. Just PM me the listing and the resume or link in any format. Here via PMs or toshimo@toshimo.com.

Let it be known: I don't give a flying gently caress if you are on-paper qualified for a position. Are you putting in for stuff beyond your reach? loving good. I'll help you tailor to fit. I won't tell you to lie. I won't break any laws. But, I drat sure will give you a better fighting chance than you'd have by being timid, or even worse, not applying.

Most of the Feds I've worked with over the years weren't half as qualified as they pretended to be, and if you're not gonna be a shithead and you're willing to learn on-the-job, I'd rather see you get it than someone who's all-paper-no-sense.

Heads up, I've reviewed 2 resumes/positions so far for goons (and I hope they got something out of my feedback, so if you're looking to make a change, this offer is still open.

Parallelwoody posted:

I'm at the point where I don't even know how to expand my resume much because of all the years I've spent in trying to word things as efficiently as possible (well that and only 3 years exp. in my field). I'm guess I want to be as neurotically detailed as possible with a gov. app though? Like instead of "conducted employee investigations" it would be more along the lines of "determined there was an employee issue" "interviewed employee" "made judgement about employee truthiness" "wrote down information relevant to investigation" "took bribe to ignore issue" "acted on results of investigation" "made report to supervisor" - we talking something more like this?

Like, this guy. If you have a particular position in mind, send me a link and I'll tell you a bit about how to tackle it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Is it cool to post about state job (governmentjobs.com) postings in this thread? All the federal government jobs in my area are just military careers or like "waiter for Texas Roadhouse on base"

This request has been: Approved.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Had an employee resign and was very mad that they couldn't cash out their sick leave or that we wouldn't approve sick leave for their last week without a doctor's note.

They even said that retiring employees burn their sick leave which went away in 2014 IIRC with the SL retirement credit.

Like how do you not research exactly what you keep, lose and are vested in if you resign from USG.

poo poo's wild, dude. I just got notice today that they reinstated my sick leave that I had left from previous service (250 hours). They told me I got cashed out for it, and I was like "You better find a receipt for that."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
gently caress WebTA.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Artificer posted:

For questions where you say if you want/are qualified for GS 9 then it asks you if you are qualified for GS 11, do you answer yes to both similar to answering E forever? Or do you actually say no to 11 if you aren't qualified?

The important thing here is that you figure out why you secretly are actually qualified for the higher grade, and write that narrative. Goons have a terrible habit of underselling themselves.

In the unlikely event you don't qualify for the higher grade... I guess it's personal preference. I would never not check it, but that's something you have to decide for yourself.

If you are asking if it hurts your chances not to select them all, "probably".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Artificer posted:

Is there a difference via qualifying via experience, education, or a mix of the two?

It's all black box bullshit and varies by agency, even varying by whichever HR person reads your resume. Education is usually more sure, so if you were given the choice which to qualify with and you met the education requirement, I'd lean towards qualifying via that. If you have anything you can stitch together to even tenuously meet the higher reqs, do so and make them tell you no. Hell, I've applied for the exact position I was doing before and been told I didn't have the experience requirement, when I'd have been the one teaching my replacement. Be prepared to fight for your qualifications. If they tell you that you didn't meet the reqs, you can push the issue (and you should if you really want that job) and have it reviewed. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. All of this is more art than science because of how much unilateral power everyone who touches your resume has combined with the entire lack of accountability. Just remember that you are your only and best advocate and fight tooth and nail for everything you've earned.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Artificer posted:

Job hunting loving sucks hahahah

New thread title, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Betazoid posted:

How do you contest not being referred? For a year, I was a staff-augmentation contractor doing the work of a GS-12 and I get "not referred" based on experience for 9s and 11s.

Lately I've been not referred because I'm not a veteran, which sucks, but I get it.

I've always directly contacted the OPM rep assigned to the position.