Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Only time I have seen people not get their ladder promotions is when they are total fuckups. Often half fuckups still get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I have an interview for a position that was listed as 14/15. I'm qualified for 15 based on private sector experience, and on the application questionnaire I meet all the requirements for 15. But I checked 14 as the lowest grade I would consider.

Prior to the interview, I got the notification that I was rated 100 for 14 and 15. After scheduling the interview, I received a second notification letter that I am qualified at Grade 15 and being referred to the hiring official (this one said nothing about 14 at all).

Obviously I will be asking to be hired at 15 and as high a step in-grade as possible to match current salary, though a good chunk of income is a bonus based on productivity so not part of base pay. I assume they will not consider "bonuses" when looking at matching, even though it's very common in the industry (lawyer).

I presume since they have deemed me qualified, if they have the budget for it they would hire me at 15. But I'm so used to the private sector mentality of "let's pay them the absolute minimum possible."

Has anyone dealt with this type of situation, a position at two possible grades? If they list it at both, are they funded for both or looking to get someone cheap? Are they willing to pay what they ordinarily pay at a certain level of experience? "It depends"?

It depends from what I have seen, like I applied to a 9-12 a bit ago, qualified at 12 from work exp etc. Everything I got said 12 but when it came to the job offer they were only hiring at 9. :shrug:

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

sparkmaster posted:

So I just got my first perm position for the Forest Service in Cali (2/2 in interviews woooo). Anyone know anything about the culture of region 5 FS and what I should do as a first time perm federal employee?

TSP TSP TSP

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Leviathan Song posted:

Some general first day advice:
Have a bank acount number and routing number ready for direct deposit.
Have information prepared for any student loans you have outstanding, in case your agency is offering repayment for years of service. That's usually a great deal.
Look up your options for retirement (tsp.gov), health insurance (https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/), dental vision and long term care insurance (benefeds.com). That way you can fill out the paperwork on entry rather than being clueless and overwhelmed.
Look up your local AFGE union and be informed about whether you choose to join or not.
Be prepared to fill out large amounts of paperwork.
Be prepared to do a lot of waiting.

Is that the norm to fill out all that stuff on your first day? When I got hired they just emailed me all the stuff like 2 weeks before my start date and had me bring it in filled out.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Quarex posted:

Well, you are not wrong in the sense that for "Time-In-Grade" purposes, you can only apply for the next higher grade ("next higher" also being 5 to 7, 7 to 9, 9 to 11, in those ranks where they decided nobody really has an even-numbered job). But there is nothing stopping you from using your education to qualify directly for, in your case, a GS-9 position--and if the GS-4 job you did had experience related at all to the job to which you were applying, it would definitely give you a better shot at it than someone without that experience.

What I mean is, I came in directly as a GS-9, and I do not see why if I had already been a GS-4 I would not have also had a chance at that same position. I suppose you might have to use the open-to-public postings, rather than the internal candidate postings, though? That part I am not sure about.

You are correct, if it's an internal posting you can not jump over multiple grades like 4 to 9, (this assumes the internal posting has a time in grade requirement) but if it's open to the public all bets are off, you could go from a 4 to a 12 if you BQ and get the job.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

berzerker posted:

"Grade 12: We reviewed your resume and application materials and determined that you are not qualified for this particular position. We encourage you to apply for other positions for which you may be better qualified."

Holy poo poo does that piss me off. gently caress you too, Department of Energy. There seriously can't be a dozen people in the world who are better qualified for this job than I am. To be sure it would conform to their standards, I even used their resume builder tool, and used the exact language of the ad in my resume and cover letter. I hate this opaque, impossible system. Job hunting is awful.

Was it one of the postings that had a questionnaire that asked like what option best suited your experience? If so from what I have seen and been told you want the "best" versions of those, drat near copy and pasted into your resume to have the best chance to get though the automated resume eating machine.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Goodpancakes posted:

Do Fed agencies still host job fairs? If so is there a way to locate these easily?

I know the DoJ does job fairs, but any time they do they just put an add in the local paper or something. Unsure if there is a location they are posted to online.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

TwoSheds posted:

Do you have any examples of those critically understaffed positions? I have a degree, but haven't been able to get any traction in my search because I'm a non-vet seeking an administrative assistant or similar role to get a foot in the door.

Probably about anything in the BOP, they always seem to need people. CBP hires a ton as well.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

When you are on any type of probation it's much easier to fire/let you go. At least in the Bureau I work for. Another important question is are you in a union or are you exempt?

And then it also comes down to how much decision your boss even has on your employment status.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I think so, they lobby Congress and stuff on our behalf, not sure how much they really get done past master agreements and Local supplementals, but I figure the dues are rather low anyhow.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

sparkmaster posted:

Odd question, but how hard would it be to jump into federal law enforcement with a land management agency having federal tenure, but having no background in it? Just thinking of perspective career moves in a few years.

I think it would really depend what agency you want to go with, places like CBP and BOP hire tons of people with often very little to no LE experience. If you really want to go out in the sticks, border patrol is always looking for suckers for the Mexican border.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

What are the actual procedural steps for firing a federal employee? Assume for this purpose that the employee is human scum, universally unliked, doing absolutely zero or negative work, but is not committing any illegal acts.

Not sure about other agencies but where I work, would be pretty impossible.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I'm pretty glad I am in a law enforcement position. So hopefully nothing negative comes out of it for us, as it seems trump loves the police, border patrol, etc.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

The contractors in the agency I work for make a lot more than the regular employees, would assume they don't get benefits though.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

It depends how good you are at creative resume writing.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Last poly I took they failed me after four polygraphs, he accused me of meditating during the whole thing cause my heart rate didn't change enough. They even had me lie to a lot of questions for some reason, the whole process was rather annoying.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

gently caress My rear end posted:

Another example on why I really really don't like the poly and the entire process. Far too many good candidates are turned away because they can't pass a Polly that they weren't even actively trying to deceive or lie on

Yeah it's rather annoying, as someone who already has a clearance and a current Federal LEO. I feel like it was just a huge waste of time, would rather had them fail me the first time. Rather than come back for four.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

jiffypop45 posted:

Data scientist means working on distributed computer systems that bring in a huge amount of data. It's likely the data they're bringing in is physics related. One of our programs where I work is a big data application. It's not unheard of by any stretch and something I've seen in job recs with my current "get out of Texas asap" job hunt.

Why do you want to get out of Texas? (curious cause I was looking at a job there)

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

You could try to get into an agency that is hiring a lot for LE positions, to get some experience, like customs or border patrol, I think the BOP hires a lot too. But customs and border patrol hiring process sucks, and it seems getting past the polygraph is the hard part.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The neighbors thing concerns me because I generally keep to myself, and aside from college I doubt any of my former/current neighbors know who I am. I also worry that living abroad the past 4 years might make them suspiicous - I haven't spoken with any of my neighbors because my local language skills suck, so all they'd be able to say is "I see him going to and coming back from work sometimes".

Do they even send interviewers overseas though?

Yes they do go overseas, but not knowing your neighbors and/or kind of keeping to yourself isn't a big deal. As the last two I have done the investigators aren't really worried about your neighbors knowing you or you interacting with them, they told me it's very common now days for people to not really interact with their neighbors or even know them, and I passed both but your millage may very.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

As long as you are not giving identifiable health information it's not a HIPAA issue.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Jeesh I tried to read that three times on my phone and each time got full screen pop-ups that you can't get rid of.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

sullat posted:

Yeah, apparently you have to already have a government credit card to do it, and they're not going to issue one so you can do it. Which is weird, because the only people in our office that have them are managers, so that excludes like 90% of the office from volunteering.

I doubt anyone where I work will get asked (law enforcement), but would be pretty cool to do for a bit, and I already have a travel card.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

From what I have seen most positions require those to be completed by the job closing date.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Uhm the VA maybe? Not sure exactly what you are looking for.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

IL

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I hope so! I love working and not getting paid for it! :a2m:

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I have accepted two at once before and there wasn't an issue with it. One of them required a clearance that took so long that I got another offer so I took that one, and got hired before my clearance ever got done. But ymmv. :shrug:

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

laxbro posted:

What FEHB plans do you all use? Do you like your plan? I'm on BCBS Standard, and while it has been great - I can't help but feel like I'm overpaying by a ton for my family of three with no major health issues. I'll likely switch to BCBS Basic, but am considering GEHA HDHP or Aetna HDHP too.

I switched from BCBS basic to geha standard, only had it a few month but it seems ok atm. A fair bit cheaper per month have to see how it holds up if I need stuff done compared to BCBS however.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

sparkmaster posted:

It's tyool 2018, and not a soul in DOI actually knows how night differential is supposed to work.

Not sure for DOI but for DOJ it's +10% base pay + any incentive pay (Sunday etc), from 6pm to 6am normally scheduled at least 24h in advance.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Sounds kind of like the comp time thing I have been trying to figure out. OPMs website says you accrue it at a 1 to 1 ratio but has no citation for it, and if you look at the US code it says it's no less than 1.5 to 1, (for LEOs and stuff) but no one I have talked to has been able to give me any reference for why it's 1 to 1 other than the single sentence on OPMs website.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Nice! Good luck, we just got a new AUSA in our district and it's great, he is a go getter and wants to take cases, the last one we had wouldn't pick up anything.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Woof Blitzer posted:

I’ve been investigated, cross-examined, interviewed, etc. by all types of people before but never done a poly. So not sure what to expect but it can’t be any worse than all that.

I wouldn't count on that haha, having been though the whole process I could either write a long thing or just say good luck. I'm honestly not sure which would help you more. One thing I will say about the panel is don't be afraid to use you imagination a bit.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

corp-courier posted:

Alt Acct, long time goon etc etc.

I'm a Nuclear Materials Courier (Federal Agent) for Energy. Currently we are going through a massive hiring wave. As you all know Fed Jobs are lucrative and Federal Law Enforcement even more so. Currently there are two positions I'm aware of that are being filled (ABQ NM, and Amarillo TX).
NNSA FA's is probably the farthest thing from your traditional law enforcement experience, however arguably the most para-military in the federal line up next to Agency PMOs. There is no grooming standards, uniforms, and the academy is roughly three months and its a gentlemen course, no getting smoke, no marching, formations etc.

The job requires a Q (TS/SCI) HRP (w/ Psych Eval) and NO poly

Below is a link to the recruiting site, and USAJOBS posting. If anyone has any questions about the job, hiring process, academy etc let me know!

https://fmt.kcp.com/OSTfederalagent/

UPDATE

There is an active posting: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/505157400

This job use to be closed to VRA only, but looks like they are taking general public.

How much time away from home is there for that job?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah its rather silly, if they can't check all of the boxes no matter how irrelevant they are, they won't / can't hire you. So it feels more like a luck of the draw than anything. But you might be one of the 25%!

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I went with Geha this year and it's a lot cheaper on copay, premiums and poo poo but they do make you jump though a few more hoops in some cases, that bcbs doesn't make you do, which can be annoying as if you didn't read though everything you will end up paying extra on poo poo you wouldn't have if you hit the trampoline first.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

El Mero Mero posted:

Can you give some examples? I switched over to geha this year from BCBS

Lab work is the one that bit me in the rear end for chunk in the size of 500$. I didn't use their "courier" service for labs right after I switched, and I got a fraction of the coverage even though the same lab did the work. The labs that would have cost me like <10$ if I used it. There was something else they were kind of petty about but I got them to cover it anyhow, don't recall what it was.

But other than that, they have been fine, just not quite as easy as bcbs at least in my experience with them. (in my exp bcbs just always covered everything even 20k in blood work with no questions asked)

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I got an error but I was at work when it happened and we use a locked down version of IE 8 or something equally bad, but it worked fine when I did it from home.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

What agency do you work for? (sounds like I need to move there!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Nevermind that!