Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Yeah no, not where I work... many departments that are critical to getting things done the right way just plain don't have enough employees so worthy projects don't even get considered due to lack of folks available to work on them. Procurement and NEPA planning, and lately archaeology, are the biggest bottlenecks and result in a lot of work not being attempted.

Can confirm, I'm a (long-term contract) archaeologist with the DoD and my installation is super cultural heavy, in that we have more than one archaeologist and we do almost everything in-house instead of contracting out projects. Our stakeholders get their poo poo through NEPA/NHPA on a sane schedule, we're good at communicating what's going on, and we even have the staff time to knock out some old backlog work from time to time.

So of course we got told we have too many cultural staff and my division head was basically instructed not to renew my contract :toot:

e: apparently I responded to a very old post, but I blame overworked SHPO staff for failing to provide concurrence on my post :colbert:

Quorum fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

PneumonicBook posted:

Anyway yea my office sucks and I strive to be left alone to do my actual job.

During the early days of the pandemic, our little cultural resources team decamped to our post-apocalyptic settlement CR lab and curation building, which is in a repurposed water treatment building and in the middle of nowhere, so that we could minimize the number of people we met face to face to basically zero aside from each other. Technically we all have offices we can go to, but aside from our supervisor we all actively avoid doing so, and we just go straight out into the field to do surveys and never actually have to talk to anyone. It's lovely.

Also regarding DoD email, I still can't quite understand the sheer number of actual federal employees I get emails from with, like, Reagan quotes about how useless the government is in their signatures.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 12, 2022

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Dr. Quarex posted:

The theoretical carrot of loan forgiveness has been enough for me to fend off my father's persistent efforts to get me to leave federal service for whatever non-profit he arbitrarily decides is a better fit for me, so that is exciting to hear about anyone actually reaching the end of the rainbow

You don't need to tell your dad, but working for a nonprofit qualifies for PSLF too :v:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Dr. Quarex posted:

What!!! poo poo, I must have gotten confused because being a public school teacher somehow did not count so I thought it had to be government work

Here is where someone tells me that is not true and my ex- did a very bad job researching the issue

Yep! The only rule is it has to be a government organization (at any level, including federal, state, local, or tribal) or a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and not a labor union or partisan political organization. Public school teachers do qualify, but they've got their own loan forgiveness program with a lower time requirement so depending on how their debt shakes out they might not need PSLF.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Longshoreman X posted:

Interviewed a week ago with an office in the Department of Energy for what the hiring manager called a 100% remote position. HR called today with a verbal offer, and it turns out it’s not remote! Is this common, hiring managers and HR not being on the same page?

Still going to consider it though, been looking to break out of my niche series (0193) and look for something with more growth potential (this one is 0801).

Oh man, and here I am trying to get into a 193 position! :v: I'm in a part of the world with a decent density of archaeologist-needing entities, at least.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Longshoreman X posted:

There is a lot of demand for it right now! I get an outreach email almost every day to my agency email and there’s a new USAJobs posting every day as well it seems.

My problem is my partner is also a 193, and it’s making it hard for us to move if we both want jobs in the same place. I like where we live but we don’t plan on living in rural Utah forever!

Demand is likely to increase, too, what with climate change encroachment and increased infrastructure spending, but yeah, I shudder to imagine trying to find two positions in one place.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

wizardofloneliness posted:

The list of potential Schedule A disabilities is extremely broad and includes a bunch of things that aren’t necessarily thought of as disabilities, like depression, ADHD, morbid obesity, thyroid disorders, being a goon, and IBS.

Fun fact! If you have a condition that qualifies for Schedule A, you probably also qualify for the federal public lands Access Pass, which lets you get into any National Park, National Forest, or other federal recreational public area for free for life. You need documentation but I actually used my Schedule A letter for it too.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Keep in mind that all the $0 payments from during the freeze count towards the 120 payments for PSLF, assuming you're on one of the qualifying income based repayment plans (which you almost certainly should be). It's not the same as up front relief but it's a start!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I just got back my suitability background check with a favorable result, and I'll hopefully be starting as a seasonal archaeology tech for the NPS in a month or so! I was a touch worried because I've been participating in Virginia's medical marijuana program basically up until I submitted my SF-85, but I was very up front about it and noted that I intended to discontinue participation while federally employed. They must have found that acceptable, because they had me sign a statement pinky swearing not to use the devil's lettuce and passed me. I've been a contractor for a few years now, and I've been a cooperator or an intern before that, but this'll be my first actual federal appointment. The best part is the position is with a regional office and they're letting me be based out of my nearest park unit, which will be the shortest commute I've ever had for a full time job.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Alucard posted:

Just tell them you poo poo trains and I'm sure you'll be a choo-in.

As for the assessment, some openings do use them. I had to do one for my current position, but I have no idea what role it played in the process. If I had to guess, it was just a screener, and as long as you didn't get a score of "room temperature oatmeal" you got kicked to the next step regardless. Making sure the resume has all the buzzwords is the best advice. Also, when asked, always rate yourself as a top expert on everything.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

When I was onboarding recently my HR contact sent me an email thanking me fervently for, uh, getting my paperwork in promptly and not making her chase me down for months. It was a tiny bit depressing!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

pmchem posted:

this isn't a job question, but it's a feds question, and my google-fu is failing me.

I recall that the department of state is famous for having some sort of internal process where any employee can write some kind of letter or comment on foreign policy and that gets publicly passed up the chain. basically an open letter to the big boss. they use it as some sort of internal debate or tone-setting tool. I think even current SecState Blinken got famous for writing some sort of good memo in that regard.

for the life of me though, I can't find any info on that procedure or policy of theirs when googling for it. searching for dept of state letters, as you might imagine, turns up a load of irrelevant garbage.

any of you feds know what I'm talking about and can link to something describing it?

I think you're describing the Dissent Channel, although there may well be other such forums for discussing policy internally.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Diplomat posted:

I have what may be a dumb question for US Gov Goons in the thread.

I’m starting to look for jobs on USAjobs, and based on what I’ve read, tailoring the resume to the specific job posting requirements is key.

I see I can upload five documents/resumes to my profile. So, my question is after editing a resume for a job posting and adding it to your profile, do you remove non-conforming resumes from your profile? Or just keep ~5 different versions that are all searchable?

When you actually go to apply for a posting, the system will prompt you to choose which documents from your profile to submit to the agency (and you'll have the chance to upload new ones if needed). So if you've got a few different versions of your resume for different types of job postings, you can keep them all attached to your profile and only use the one you need.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

NPS still has no updated contingency plan, probably because they're trying to figure out if they want to try using FLREA visitor fees to keep parks open again even though the GAO slapped the Trump administration for it last time. Either way I'm 100% on the non-exempted list, so :tootzzz:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

TheMadMilkman posted:

I’ve been declared essential. I have zero work to do right now, and had leave planned for two days next week.

I’m pissed.

Can you talk to your supervisor about getting furloughed for just those two days? That's how we were told that planned leave for essential/excepted folks should be handled.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

So when can we expect that vacancy to show up on USAJOBS?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Deeters posted:

I'm browsing USAJobs for stuff my wife would be interested in. I understand having a cap of applicants, but what's the point of leaving a listing open for 3 months after the cut-off?

This specifically

I'm guessing it relates to this:

quote:

This announcement will remain open until December 29, 2023. The cut-off date is September 13, 2023 or at the point at which the first 50 applications are received, whichever comes first. Applications submitted after September 13, 2023 may not receive consideration.

In addition, due to the potential of a high volume of applicants, not all applicants may receive consideration. After the initial cut-off period, once a request to fill a vacancy is received, applications will be reviewed in increments of 50 applications in date order.

So, in order to be reviewed for the first batch of vacancies they fill using this announcement, you need to be one of the first 50 or (if they don't get that many) before September 13. After that point, you get put into stacks of 50 in chronological order to be reviewed if they want to fill more vacancies with the same announcement.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ah, I'd forgotten my favorite part of the federal hiring process, completing inane logic puzzles

We made a mistake as a country outsourcing key civil service HR responsibilities to Sierra Entertainment.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

The train thing is nice for me at least since I live on the NEC and have reason to travel from time to time. I already take Amtrak sometimes if there aren't any direct flights since the cost is lower and the extra travel time tends to be only slightly longer when you take into account airport security, delays, driving to/from airports, and especially layovers, but it'll be handy to have an easier reason to cite.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Chad Sexington posted:

How long are background checks taking these days for non-sensitive, federal adjacent positions?

Strongly depends on the security office that's processing you, the presence or absence of any complicating factors, the retrograde of Mercury, et cetera. My SF-85 investigation took just about exactly a month this past summer.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I'm genuinely shocked that there are any GS-1s at all, although apparently those are mostly interns?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

rodbeard posted:

Does anyone have familiarity with schedule A? I have some paperwork somewhere that says I have autism but I don't know if there's a process involved in getting it recognized. I don't recall any of the jobs I've applied for asking about disability status.

I've not been able to use it yet, but I do have a schedule A letter for similar reasons. I got mine from reaching out to my state's Department of Aging and Rehabilitative Services and submitting my diagnosis documentation. Theoretically I think you can also get an equivalent document from your doctor; the main thing it has to state is that you are permanently disabled and eligible for hire under schedule A. It doesn't have to list the specific diagnosis, and generally shouldn't.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Star Man posted:

I think you live in whatever quarters they provide on-site.

Those quarters are still charged against your salary at rates assessed (among other things) on the basis of prevailing market rate, so even lovely park housing is often shockingly expensive because the nearby gateway communities are expensive tourist towns. :sigh:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

cheese eats mouse posted:

Was told I’m tentatively eligible based on my self assessment but due to high volume of applicants only veterans preference were passed onto the hiring manager.

I guess it is what it says? Does this mean they haven’t looked at my resume and just took all the people that passed the silly self-assessment that were veterans and cut it off there?

Typically I think it means your resume was looked at by an HR person, who just checked whether it and the questionnaire responses met the baseline requirements for the posting. That's the first hurdle. Here, it seems like enough people with veterans preference met the criteria to bump you out of the running entirely, which stinks.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I'd guess the issue there is with the Paperwork Reduction Act and OIRA review, which is actually a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Ghost Cactus posted:

Anyone with creditable military or civilian service toward annual leave ever had their service computation date reviewed?

Last agency granted creditable service for annual leave accrual rate; worked there about two years. Current agency is looking to change the service computation date.

I thought it was permanent after a year with the agency that granted it.

Unless you had a break in service or some other very weird thing during your first year at the appointing agency, which it sounds like you didn't, this OPM guidance seems pretty clear that "Once an employee completes 1 full year of continuous service with the appointing agency, the period of service for which he or she was granted service credit for his or her non-Federal or active duty uniformed service work experience is permanently creditable for the purpose of determining his or her annual leave accrual rate for the duration of the employee's career."