Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Tortilla Maker posted:

I suppose the environment varies from agency and department but not a single person who I work with is at all concerned about a possible shutdown. No one is making contingency plans, not a single memo has trickled down from above, and the general consensus is that it's a lot of hot air from both sides.

Are my co-workers (and myself for that matter) really that naive? It seems as though most Feds here on SA are genuinely concerned.
As a contractor, my company has yet to tell us what their plans are should the government shut down. Haven't even heard anything from the fed side of things, either. A shutdown, even a fairly prolonged one, won't affect me too much, but there are a few younger co-workers here that are going to have problems.

Epicenter posted:

Problem is my dad just got a job on USAJOBS in San Antonio, but it took him almost a year. And probably would have taken longer if the guy doing the hiring didn't just happen to recognize his name from college. Looking to move with friends early this summer; probably around June.

What is my best bet? Thanks!
Abandon all hope ye who enter USAJOBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

CherryCola posted:

Is there a specific credit union for federal employees? I need to get my finances in order and finally get myself a good credit card. In my experience, credit unions are usually best for that kind of stuff.
Nope. Practically every department has their own credit union (e.g., Treasury, Energy, even the Census Bureau). It looks like the Constellation Federal Credit Union caters specifically to the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, but you should also take a look at the Pentagon Federal Credit Union.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

CherryCola posted:

The PFCU looks pretty good, though the NGA is like the one agency that isn't eligible. My brother IS in the military though, so it looks like I could actually join the military family thingamajig.

Also, 17 days until I start my job!!
The NGA is part of the DoD which is eligible. But, yes, you would also be eligible with having an immediate family member in the military. Or, if all else fails, you can drop $20 to join the NMFA and be eligible through them.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

Zoo posted:

I say you should send a brief "thanks for the interview" note 7-10 days following the interview. Giving time for him to have interviewed other candidates, then reminding him of you with your note, is probably a decent idea.
I don't think he's even interviewed for the position yet, only applied.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I applied for an OMB job on 2/1, the day before the job application period closed. I have an e-mail saying they've received the app, but no further communication. According to USAJobs they are still reviewing applications.

How long does this process last? According to a timeline I saw, they should have finished the application review w/in 4 weeks. Do they alert people if they're not going to move forward in the process, or is it like the private sector where you just have to read into the prolonged silence that you've been rejected?
I applied to a position with the NGA in August 2021, was notified in November 2021 that my application was under consideration, was notified in January 2022 that they wanted me to participate in a digital interview, and was notified just last week that I was selected to join the NGA, accepted their "verbal" offer via email, and am waiting for the Conditional Offer of Employment. :psyduck:

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Quarex posted:

I just completed a written interview for a job

This is definitely a first for me, and if I do not get this one then I know the fix is in because me am impeckable w/words

Is this just a thing now, or did I find some sort of pilot "maybe we don't have to talk to them anymore" hiring program?
“Maybe we don’t have to talk to them anymore.” I signed a conditional offer of employment a couple of months ago - still going through all of the clearance processing - and never once spoke with a human being until I was at their HQ taking a poly and getting my fingerprints taken. :shrug:

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

Midjack posted:

If you're at the point where they're doing a poly you're almost at the end of the process, I'd honestly wait for them to make a formal offer before bailing out unless the clock is ticking on a competing opportunity.
Passed my polygraph three months ago and I’m still waiting for the NGA to move on to the next step. :psyduck:

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

CheshireCat posted:

Passed my polygraph three months ago and I’m still waiting for the NGA to move on to the next step. :psyduck:
Drug testing flipped to Complete 15 weeks after the sample was taken. Now I'm waiting for a position to be identified in order to schedule a start date! :confuoot:

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

One year and three months since I received a Conditional Offer of Employment, I finally got my Entry On Duty date to start at the NGA next month - pending final paperwork. My god that took forever. :psyduck:

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

Thesaurus posted:

Did you have another job that whole time? Are you still going to take it?
Yeah, I've been working at my current job the entire time while waiting for placement. I wasn't entirely surprised by the length of time since when Federal Soup still existed there were posts about other hires waiting 1+ years. They still need to send me a final offer, but I can't imagine it'd be less that the salary quoted in the conditional offer over a year ago - which was still a nice bump from what I'm making now.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

Woof Blitzer posted:

Most of this is the investigation, also some divisions are backed-up as previously mentioned. Hopefully you got band 5 right...
As much as I wish I was GS15 equivalent, no. Assuming my final offer isn't going backwards from a year ago, it'll be on the upper end of Band 03.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

davey4283 posted:

Ok, I'm trying to figure out a timeline for the hiring process. This is probably an exercise in futility but I figure what the hell.

The Situation: I was offered a tentative offer via email at USMEPCOM in North Chicago as a Software Engineer on a GS12 track. This position was not listed and is under Direct Higher Authority. I created my federal resume and submitted it on 29Feb. The program manager lady said she submitted it to HR(CPAC) and that they would evaluate whether I start as GS-9 or GS-11.

She told me to standby and its almost been a month. Should I be worried, Is this normal? The job requires a secret clearance as well. I'm sure I'll have to fill out a SF-86.

I guess I'm trying to figure out a ballpark or timeline for starting (June, July, Spring, Summer?) since I've got a family, mortgage, auto loans, bills, etc that all require money.
It's probably fine. MEPCOM likely had a pause in hiring due to the Continuing Resolution and limited budget authority; I know my agency had a pause on new external hires and was only onboarding applicants who had previously accepted his or her offer before the CR started. Now that we have an enacted budget that will hopefully get things going again.

For what it's worth, I received a Conditional Offer of Employment in March 2022, completed drug testing and poly in April 2022, and didn't get my Entry on Duty date until June 2023 - a full 15 months from their initial offer. But this is with an Intelligence Community agency, so I'm likely an outlier. Years ago I accepted a contractor position supporting OSD which required a Secret clearance, and I was only twiddling my thumbs for less than a month before I got my interim Secret clearance and could go work on-site.