Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

fivetwo posted:

The scope of investigations will vary but the pay is the same (Journeyman 13 which is at least $100,000, depending on locality, at step 1),

It's pretty easy to top 6 figures being an 1811 in 3 or 4 years on the job. Count LEAP, Locality, and if your agency approves overtime, it's absolutely no problem.

Also the annuity in the retirement and TSP is one of the best in the government, no doubt about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Paytizzle posted:

Does a Criminal Justice degree set you above the rest of the applicants in any way?

No. You'll be thrown in the muck of things.

If you want to get noticed in FLE hiring you need to have solid background in computer science skills, foreign language(s), or accounting. Even then, it won't guarantee you anything.

EDIT: Let me clarify something really quick: Whatever you bring to the table is what you need to get to their official testing process (whether it be written exam, interviews, both, etc). So typically it consists of taking an online examination or just sending a recruiter your resume, and if they think you're of acceptable level they will call you for their formal testing process. If you move forward to actual vetting as I just described, then it doesn't matter at all. Depending on the agency they will take the top tier of scores and move forward, or maybe whatever will fill how many slots they have open.

Homie S fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 14, 2010

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
Do you want to get into Law Enforcement?

Do you like the desert?

Does learning Spanish sound like fun?

Border Patrol has opened back up until October for more applications (or if they get 100k applications, whichever comes first) for the position of Border Patrol Agent.

This job is for: people who like being outside a lot, enjoy working long hours, want to gain LE experience, etc. A lot of veterans are PAs, and the Patrol is very military friendly.

This job is NOT for: people that don't do well in heat, don't really like military style structure and order, and dislike working nights and weekends.

This is an opening for the Southwest Border only. If you were a previous applicant and failed the written exam OR are a northern border applicant and wish to switch, read the announcement for details.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/search.aspx?q=Border+patrol+agent&where=&x=0&y=0&brd=3876&vw=b&FedEmp=N&FedPub=Y

Good luck!

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

fivetwo posted:

You must not have reached your 37th birthday prior to starting one of these jobs.

Just remember that prior military or federal service is excluded from his rule.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

fivetwo posted:

This is not true. Military time and regular federal service does NOT stop the clock on 6c/12c jobs.

From USAJOBS:

• Individuals selected for Criminal Investigator positions are covered under special law enforcement provisions. This requires that applicants not exceed the maximum age for entry. The date immediately preceding an applicant's 37th birthday is the final date for selection. The age restriction does not apply, providing the appropriate documentation is submitted, if:

A. You served in a Federal civilian (not military) law enforcement officer (FLEO) position covered by special civil service retirement provisions, including early or mandatory retirement, and after subtracting these covered time periods (years/months) of prior Federal service worked in a primary law enforcement position, you are less than 37 years of age. The maximum entry age limit was established in accordance with 5 U.S.C. § 3307 and does not violate age discrimination laws. The intent of the maximum age limitation is to ensure that a Federal law enforcement officer will have the opportunity to work 20 years and therefore be eligible to retire at 57, when mandatory retirement applies to Federal law enforcement officers.

OR

B. You are a preference-eligible veteran.

Whoops, You're correct; I should have explained what I said a bit more. So where have you applied?

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
Crosspost from the State/FSO thread.

quote:

DS Special Agent Application Period Opening Soon

The application period for Diplomatic Security Special Agent is tentatively schduled to open Monday, August 16, 2010.

For updates, please check the Diplomatic Security Web site at http://www.diplomaticsecurity.state.gov.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Rip Testes posted:

I've a paid internship as a GS-11. Job hunters should search using the term FCIP (Federal Career Intern Program). It's a controversial program as it gives greater higher flexibility to agencies and bring in quality talent from outside the Fed expeditiously. After the expiration of the internship one has a good chance of converting to permanent. As far as I know these positions aren't typically listed on USAJOBS, but you can find some there. I found out about mine through a university announcement and word of mouth. Having contacts to get you in the door helps.

To be fair not all of FCIP are really internships; You really work the full job while being in FCIP to give it more of a probationary status more than anything.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Rip Testes posted:

True, but that's the beauty of it. A full paying job advertised as an internship. One can quibble about whether it's an internship or not, but if the goal is to end up with a job in the Fed this is an excellent route to pursue.

Totally agree. I just consider a funny way of going about giving people jobs.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Gravel Gravy posted:

So since I missed that phone call from the DSS is there a way I can call them back, since they seem absolutely disinterested in leaving voice mails?

I won't let a batch of chili be the reason that I missed taking this test.

You didn't get a voicemail with a call back number? If not, how do you know it was DSS?

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Also, smooth move booking the conference room right across the hall from where they were doing major construction/renovations to the hotel :v:

hhahahahah this is JUST the beginning.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Beerdeer posted:

Hrm. I'm an FCIP, due to convert in July and go up to a GS12. So how is that going to work?

You'll move out of that conditional appointment category or whatever it is.

Are you CBP?

Anyone who is CBP and is under their two year should be celebrating BIG for this.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

prussian advisor posted:

I thought the whole point of LEAP was that it was predicated on a 50-hour work week, hence the flat 25% bonus on payout for your pay grade?

Correct, but you don't always work 50 hours a week. It's based on availability. If something happens and you're around, you're not claiming it as overtime. LEAP is unscheduled overtime. If you want to be an expert on LEAP, sit down with an Air Marshal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I'm going to guess that you are not an 1811 because you failed to mention:

A - There are non-1811 job series out there with 25% AUO, LEO Retirement (FERS 12D) and, unlike with 1811's, no pay cap due to no FLSA exemption.

B - 9-5 work week is the exception rather than the rule unless you're working something like IG/contract/procurement fraud.

C - While the big agencies typically do give you a vehicle, many agencies only provide GOV's if you are a supervisor or some sort of duty response or have pool cars available.

D - Yes, Federal FERS LEO retirement is earlier and higher than a non-LEO Fed employee, but it's at a much lower pension percentage than the old skool CSRS. Google New Jersey State Police's retirement pension. 65% after 25 years, maxing out at 70%. With FERS, it's more like low 40's.

My point being that, as with any job, compare apples to apples when looking at one's perks, benefits, quality of life and retirement.

Edit: Actually, you could be a 1811, but then I'd guess you're <1 year from your SCD and haven't seen the man behind the curtain or how the sausage is made at your agency.

Also this is probably one of the bests posts I've seen regarding Federal Law Enforcement and the variety of what you can find. The old myth is that 1811 gigs are the best in the business, and while yes it has perks and you do cool stuff and yada yada, there's other places where you can be just as happy, possibly doing less and getting paid just as much.

One thing I would point out re: A is that agencies do indeed have a pay cap even with their FLSA/AUO tacked on, but they normally get waivers through their agency. So they get waivered and make beaucoup bucks, OR they don't get waivered, work overtime for the first 6-8 months of the year, and then for the last season or so for the year just do their minimum hours and bounce out every day.