Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Just so you know, the State Department is accepting applications for its career entry program from today until the 17th!

http://careers.state.gov/civil-service/employment.html#CEP

No one apply for Foreign Affairs, it's miiiiiine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Gravel Gravy posted:

Short notice but any DC area goons might be interested in attending a federal job fair tomorrow from 2PM-7PM. Just heard about this and have been preparing since. http://makingthedifference.org/federaljobs/careerfair.shtml#maximize

Man, this is why I'm moving out to DC next month with or without a definite job. On that note, anybody need a roommate?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I am starting grad. school in the fall and wont be out until 2012. Do you think that its kosher to start applying for government jobs halfway through my degree (listing something like: "MA pending")? I'd love to be an analyst, but I'd especially love to have a job waiting for me once I leave school.

There are some positions where I would totally recommend this. Agencies like the CIA and Foreign Service positions have an application process that can take a year anyway. So yeah, when I was applying to stuff I just put "MA expected May 2010."

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

A 3.25 undergrad GPA gets you in as a GS-7 at the PTO, and given the applicant pool, most new hires have above that anyway. That plus a Masters or JD is -9, plus PhD is -11. The PTO only has -5, -7, -9, -11, -12, -13, -14 and -15 as their paygrades though.

I'm making $120k as a GS-12 with overtime, though, so it's a much higher payscale than the DC locality pay.

Masters is a 9?? Oh dang, I've been lookin at 6's and 7's. It's so tough coming straight out of school and applying for these jobs though. I have to somehow make my undergrad, part time, work study admin jobs look like really great work experience. Here's something I've been struggling with, especially with applying to the Foreign Service. They ask about management and leadership experience, and I have really never managed people in a job sense. It sucks when you know you'd do really well at a job, but can't figure out how to communicate that to the employer.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Okay, this isn't the federal government. Buuuuuuuuut.

http://www.state.gov/p/io/rls/fs/144110.htm

Competitive Recruitment Exam for the UN

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

grover posted:

Oh, the CIA is interested in everyone. No, they don't necessarily want to give you a job, they just want to hear all about you!

Yeah probably, they would always come hang out at my (asian studies) department. When I told one woman that I spoke Urdu I thought she was going to jump me. Hasn't really helped me as much as I thought it would yet, though.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Boondock Saint posted:

Heads up for anyone who likes archives work.

http://archives.gov/careers/jobs/fcip/

Austin!!!!! I'm all over this! Thanks!

edit: Okay, I haven't taken any courses in archiving. But I do have an M.A. and have done lots of research and crap...hopefully that will be enough.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 23, 2010

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I finally got a phone call from this government agency today, not sure if I should say which, it's not like the CIA or FBI or anything like that. He said he wants to talk to me about my resume (which I submitted like a month and a half ago, hurr). That's gotta be a good sign, right? Oh I should add that I missed the call and I think the office was closed by the time I called back.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Wooo! I have a skype interview on the 14th! Any advice for skyping with the government?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Apparently these guys want a scan of a current paystub. Uhhhh, I just finished two years of graduate school where I couldn't have a job and this summer I've worked super short term temp poo poo which were direct deposit. I'm not sure if I still have a pay stub from any of those. ffffffffffffff. I emailed to ask if they would be okay with something from my school...but I dunno!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I'm getting really worried about this. Nobody has gotten back to me and I'm supposed to have all my documents in by Tuesday. I have no "Leave and Earnings" statement, hell I've never even worked somewhere long enough that I even earned any sort of leave. Apparently failure to provide all that information will disqualify me. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. Please somebody who has gone through this process tell me what to do. I was considering just attaching my grad school transcript and explaining my situation in the email.

Also, will somebody advise me on government agency interviews? What specifically should I prepare for?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Pompous Rhombus posted:

So, in case any of you are interested in what languages federal employers are searching resumes for:

code:
Language	Number of hits
Arabic	             100
Pashto	             78
Urdu	             77
Farsi/Dari	     52
Russian	             46
Farsi	             44
Persian	             29
Chinese	             22
Hausa	             22
Swahili	             21

Third on the list and only one interview. This poo poo sucks. :(

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Quick, give me tips on interviewing with the NGA!

edit: So glad I signed into Skype 30 minutes early. It's one minute before my interview time and I still haven't been contacted by the tech setup peeps. The suspense is making me want to pull my hair out.

double edit: skype interviews are weird. I think it went sort of well, though!

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 14, 2010

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
It's a good thing I'm a patient woman or I would have completely lost my mind by now. I applied for a curatorial assistant job at the Freer gallery (Smithsonian) on June 1st. On July 14th, I received a notice that I had met the criteria and would be notified in the "near future" about whether or not I would get an interview. So now it's almost September and I'm staaarting to wonder if they've actually filled the position and will never tell me. My online application tells me no further details.

At what point would it be appropriate for me to actually go to the drat gallery and try to talk to someone?

Out of all the positions I've applied for, this one seems like it would be the most fulfilling and goddamn awesome. fffffffffffffff

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Dominoes posted:

How'd you make it past the screener? Put that you manage others curating eight-century Chinese art as a regular part of your current job?

I'm obsessed with South Asia (which is what my M.A. is for) and the Middle East. It's a mostly administrative job, but with a bit of a research aspect too. I don't know how I got through either since I've heard from others how selective they are....but I'm still in this limbo status right now and I'm about to pull my hairs out one by one.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I don't think it hurts to follow-up (there's even a form on my "Job Search History" thing with NSEP about what you did to follow up on your application), although I'm not sure the exact etiquette... haven't had a good reason to follow up yet :smith: Obviously you don't want to come off as pushy/desperate, but just something polite to let them know you're definitely still interested in the position, etc.

Well, since I'm a big fan of that gallery anyway, I figured I'd go to look at the art and see if I can just say a friendly hello. But I can't find any email address since the message I got back in July said that it was from an unattended mailbox. I'm guessing it would be dumb to send one to the general tourist email address.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Zoo posted:

You'll probably get the NGA job.

Even if that's true, I probably wouldn't start getting a paycheck for another year and a half. My savings are only going to last until October.

edit: I'm taking into account the Top Secret clearance and the fact that it's a "hiring event" means they're just trying to accumulate a pool of cool dudes who can work for them at some point.

double edit: of course I certainly wouldn't mind having that kind of clearance since it would make applying for lots of other jobs way the hell easier.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Sirotan posted:

So who else dreads clicking on this thread when you see there are new posts, because you think they might be people saying they got a response from the CEP and are being referred to the hiring managers, while you did not? Yeah because thats me. :ohdear:

People are starting to get replies for that? I applied to a CEP thing like three months ago and haven't heard a word since.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Omits-Bagels posted:

The US govt. is usually really good about doing stuff on time.

literally laughed out loud at this

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Any consensus about what the minimum acceptable score is?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Sooooo, just got a voicemail from the NGA saying that they want to offer me a job! Holy crap. For you government workers, any chance I'd actually start this job in less than a year?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Omits-Bagels posted:

I guess those language skills paid off. Congratulations.

I just hope I can actually use some of those language skills in this job. It seems like it will be mostly analyzing imagery. BUT WHATEVER! JOB! PAYCHECK! BENEFITS! Oh god I'm so happy that coming to DC wasn't a waste.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

suboptimal posted:

Hey, congratulations! Do you have any background doing imaging work, or were you able to swing some other experience? I'm curious because I've seen NGA's hiring page, and it seems like they mostly want engineer/hard science types.

Nope, I have South Asia regional expertise and I guess I convinced them that I am a super fast learner and super smart and awesome. The voicemail specifically said that they want to offer me a position with the agency, so they must have liked something!!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Zoo posted:

Told you.

You sure did! Now I just need to make sure I don't run out of money before I actually start getting a paycheck. I might be getting a temporary offer from a contractor which would help if it actually does take a whole year to do my clearance. Does the NGA ever give out interim clearance?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Gravel Gravy posted:

Maybe you can help me out, I haven't been able to submit a thing on their application page and they never return my calls.

When you are filling out the education history, I try to type parts of my university's name, the whole thing but it just can't find it.

Who'da thunk that no universities start with "University of..." :downs:

Also do you have a Master's Degree or a B.A.?

I have an M.A. If I remember correctly, some just start with Univ. That thing is pretty picky. Try experimenting with different abbreviation.

edit: Just talked to the recruiting lady and accepted a VERY NICE offer. Kinda sucks that I can't actually start for at least six months, though. Welp, back to applying for other crap.

double edit: A bit terrified of this security clearance process though. I've been pretty much a goodie-goodie for most of my life, but I'm worried some old, forgotten and misconstrued crap will come back to bit me on the arse.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 16, 2010

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What level do you need?

Top Secret with Polygraph. I'm kind of worried I'm going to fail the polygraph right out because I have this weird guilty anxiety thing even when I haven't actually done anything wrong. Just have to hope for the best, I guess!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Oh here's another big questions. So the security clearance process can take from like 6 months to a year. I'm about to interview for another really jawesome position which is a yearlong contract. If I get this job, would I be able to just tell the NGA to take their time and not put me on assignment until the year is up?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Thanks so much for all the advice. This is tricky because the other job that I'm applying for is also something I really want to do...and I don't have any other leads on how I'm going to support myself while my security clearance goes through. So are you saying it's not possible to ask them to delay my assignment for a couple months?

Well, if I do get this other job and they offer me a decent salary, I may have to go with them since it's so much closer to my field...even though it would also be darn helpful to have security clearance.

edit: If I call back the NGA and tell them I changed my mind will that be a negative mark on my record for the rest of time?

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 19, 2010

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Oh man, security clearance is such a pain. I can't remember the dates I worked every pithy little job over the last 10 years. Halp.

edit: A question about foreign contacts. So it says I should list people to whom I am bound by affection, influence and/or obligation. I mean, I have friends...but I wouldn't consider myself "bound" by any of them necessarily. Does that mean I can just totally skip this section?

Do I have to list my Indian ex-boyfriend who I have completely severed? I have no idea what his address is currently and I really don't want to know either.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 30, 2010

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

TCD posted:

Ex-boyfriend that you had relations with in the last few years?

Yes, they'll probably want to know.

Welp, this is going to take like a month to fill out.

edit: oh thank god, they don't ask for addresses or phone numbers. That makes my life SO much easier.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 1, 2010

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Skandiaavity posted:

CherryCola, don't worry about it - if you miss something, they'll follow up with you and asked why you missed it. You're not expected to remember everything, but as long as you're honest about it they'll let it slide due to a memory disrespecancy. If you even DO have a call-out/follow-up interview, expect it to be at ease, but pretty thorough.

For names, yeah. You want something. Even if it's only a last-known. They're proficient at following up, mind you.

It doesn't matter how many international people you know, just whether or not you put them down, and how you know them. If you have any contact info, then put it down. If not, put down the reason why you don't have contact info. (I.E. I met them in school, same class, study group, etc, but did not use email). If they want to know more say 'sorry i've been out of touch with that person'. Worst case, they'll make you prove how you've been out of touch with that person.

The #1 thing is to be honest. Like "imagine they're hooking you up to a polygraph honest" or "i am swearing this before a federal judge in federal court honest", because either one is always a possibility to happen as you move on (the latter is pretty likely FYI) If you honestly can't recall any of the information, not much they can do about it but take your word.

Thanks for the advice. On the form itself there was nowhere to put contact info, but I just put how I knew the person in the additional info box. I should be able to find contact info for most of them pretty easily, though. I just sent all my stuff out today, so here's hoping the process is quick and painless! I'd even be okay with some pain as long as it's quick. hurrr

edit: I JUST GOT A TEMP JOB FOR TWO MONTHS! Thank god, I'm not going to starve while I wait for this stuff.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 4, 2010

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Skandiaavity posted:

Congrats on the temp job! You're still in DC, right?

Anyway, if you already mailed your forms, then it's literally out of your hands. But they operate on their own time.

Yup! In fact, this job is pretty much the deciding factor on whether or not I get to stay here. So I'm pretty drat happy. I'm working at the same law firm as John Edwards' daughter, so that's pretty neat. AND the attorney I'm working with said that they could potentially keep me there until my clearance goes through. drat, it took a month and a half, but things seem to be really falling into place finally!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
So I'm going to be taking my NGA vision test soon. I'm pretty sure that I'll pass with my glasses prescription and all, but the lady who called me really freaked me out with this whole YOU CAN ONLY TAKE THE TEST ONCE AND IF YOU FAIL YOUR EMPLOYMENT OFFER IS REVOKED thing. Have any of you taken one of these federal eye tests? Is it actually easy to fail? Just in case, I'm going to an optometrist tomorrow to get a basic near and far acuity test. Do I really need to worry, though?

edit: in reply to the post below. I got rejected from that other job anyway (what a waste of both of our times, I had nothing about managerial experience on my resume and I get rejected because I have no managerial experience? I didn't even apply for that job! they called me! ARGH!) So yeah, I'll be probably doing temp stuff while the clearance goes through. I was pretty painfully honest on my clearance, though.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 13, 2010

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Had a small heart attack today. Apparently I didn't go back far enough in a couple section so had my SF-86 sent back. Luckily I could fix it quickly, but it definitely renewed my sense of "oh god what if I get denied."

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I went to 7, but I guess they wanted me to go all the way to my 18th birthday.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Thank goodness for helpful federal employees. I had a second freakout yesterday because I realized I hadn't told them that I started working a temp job the day after I submitted my paperwork. So I emailed the same guy who told me to fix my E-Qip and he basically told me I'd be able to just tell them when I have my background investigation interview. Really simple information, but it did a lot to calm my mind to realize that they aren't going to stamp me with an automatic denial because of something simple like that.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

The Mic posted:

Not to mention that even after you adjust for the difference in locality pay, a GS 12 (just as an example) salary goes a lot further in Mississippi than it does in DC.

But of course, then you live in Mississippi. Apparently the position I've been offered could have also been in Missouri. They couldn't pay me enough money to move back to the Midwest.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
So I've done my vision screening, drug screening and preliminary background investigation interview. Apparently someone already called my ex-roommate too. Considering I turned in my paperwork at the beginning of October, does this mean the process is going somewhat quickly? This temp job is possibly the worst working environment I've ever encountered, oh god I hope my clearance goes fast.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

grover posted:

Yes, those are all good signs it will be finished very quickly instead of dragging on 2 years like what happened to a couple hundred thousand people back a few years ago when the FBI laid off about half their investigators and then upgraded their computer system and broke it for a month.

I guess my lady is actually a contractor with the DIA, so maybe that's a good thing? I was really pleasantly surprised because she was incredibly friendly and made me really at ease during the whole interview. I was afraid it was going to be some serious-business, scary dude in a suite and sunglasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Wow, this clearance process is really movin' along. My investigator met with one of my friends this morning and is meeting with my boyfriend tonight. I still haven't heard anything about the polygraph, though. I'm thinking at this point that will pretty much be the last piece of the puzzle.

I just hope nothing is misconstrued in a way that will screw me over, that's my biggest fear...even though I'm a huge goody two-shoes.