Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Pompous Rhombus posted:

So when I get to check "yes" for

, how does that work in the hiring process? It also gives me the option to select

, which I assume I should check as well. But I'm curious how the non-competitive thing affects my application, when there are also applicants applying competitively.

Under a noncompetitive hiring authority you can be appointed directly into the job without competing against others on a cert if you are qualified for the position. Under a competitive hiring authority, you must compete with the other applicants. If you qualify for both authorities, you should apply for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Pompous Rhombus posted:

How do they figure the quota of non-competitive hires versus competitive? Would they take every eligible non-competitive before they started looking at competitive applications? OTOH, going through that questionnaire I was beginning to feel a bit inadequate at parts. I almost wish there were essay questions, so I could say "No, but here's why I think that I could...".

There is no quota for non-competitive hires, it's just an alternative list that the hiring manager can hire someone from. I was recently on a hiring team and we got to choose from candidates on a merit promotion list, Schedule A (non-competitive), and a public list. We hired for four positions, but there was no requirement that a certain number be taken from any one list. We called in one individual who was eligible under Schedule A because she looked to be a good candidate. She ended up bombing the interview. We didn't call anyone else who was eligible under Schedule A because they weren't particularly compelling. The other Schedule A candidates were only minimally-qualified for the position.

I should point out that you're not limited to applying for, or being considered under various hiring authorities. Several applicants were on both the merit promotion list and the public list. You're best off applying under as many hiring authorities as you are qualified for.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

Sundae - I believe they're authorized to reimburse your expenses for it at least under GSA Schedules.

The fact that agencies are authorized to do something doesn't mean they're obligated to do it. In federal hiring, reimbursement of expenses related to the hiring process is the exception, not the norm.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Stop posted:

Does anyone know if there's any significant disadvantage to uploading a resume instead of creating one on the USAJOBs website?

My primary reason for doing so is basically aesthetics.

I wouldn't worry about that unless you're in some kind of design-related career field. When I review hiring packets I prefer the applications from USAJobs because I know right where to find all of the information that I am interested in.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

mzandrea posted:

I applied for a job through usajobs.gov. They marked me eligible but resume not sent on because, "Only Veterans with 10 Point Preference are being referred at this time." It wasn't a veterans only job, but I guess they had some qualified candidates apply. Now, the status has been changed to cancelled, and I get the note, "This vacancy is being filled through another source."

Does anyone have any insight into what is going on? What other source?

My guess is that you met the eligibility requirements for the position, but you didn't score high enough. If you score 100 and there are enough 10 point preference veterans that score from 91 to 100 (before adding their 10 points), you won't get referred since they have scores of 101-110.

There may have been a separate announcement for the same position for candidates with federal status (it could even be limited to current agency employees, if they had someone in mind to promote). If there was a separate announcement and the hiring official saw a good candidate on the merit promotion plan list, he or she might choose to just cancel the announcement you applied for and fill the job from the status announcement. The hiring official also could have selected someone with a disability who qualifies under Schedule A. Again this is all speculation, but what actually happened was probably something similar to what I described.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Does anyone know about the US Commission on Civil Rights and what the staffing situation is there? Do the commissioners have their own staffs? I have a potential way in there but I'm trying to figure out how to approach it and what sorts of work it involves.

Based on the most recent Plum Book entry, it looks like at least some of the Commissioners there do have staff. According to Fedscope that agency has 50 total employees, 32 of whom are based in DC.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

CherryCola posted:

Also, I was considering writing to my congressperson, since I've heard that's something that can be done to help along the process a bit. Can I have other people write letters on my behalf, too? My brother is a serviceperson who has done a tour of duty in Iraq and it's partially because of him that I really want to start this job. Do any of you have any insight as to whether a letter from him would have any influence?

I suddenly became unemployed last week thanks to multiple horrible temp agency mishaps (none of which were my fault) so I'm really hoping something happens before I completely run out of money and have to go back to Minnesota.

Writing your Member of Congress is a great way to guarantee you'll never be hired by that office. When someone writes a MOC about a federal issue, the letter gets read by a congressional staffer who sends it to the agency's legislative liaison. The liaison in turn sets a suspense date for a response and forwards the letter to the appropriate department so a manager can prepare a response to be routed back through these same channels. In your situation it wouldn't solve anything and it would only create additional work for a manager at the agency. It would also paint you as someone who is quick to complain loudly. A poo poo-stirrer.

You need to understand that you'll just have to wait. No letter from anyone is going to have a positive effect on you getting hired. Of course you're in a desperate situation, but remember you need the agency more than it needs you. I don't know where you are in the process, but it could take you a year to get clearance.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

11b1p posted:

Am I stupid if I take a mail assistant position with the Treasury Department. It is a 1 year term position, no benefits. Is it worth it to just get into the system. After Tolls and gas money I will be making the same as I am on unemployment. I have to call them back tomorrow.

Having a job is going to look better to future prospective employers than being unemployed. I have recently seen several media reports about employers that openly refuse to hire anyone who has been unemployed for a certain period. The biggest drawback with a federal temporary job is that will not give you status, meaning that you will be competing with everyone for any vacancy announcements. If you have veteran's preference, this isn't a concern for you since you can compete for status announcements anyway.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Evil SpongeBob posted:

C - While the big agencies typically do give you a vehicle, many agencies only provide GOV's if you are a supervisor or some sort of duty response or have pool cars available.

Don't forget C(1) - Having a GOV is not nearly as convenient as it sounds. If you want to take a class, go out to dinner, or stop by the store or gym on your way home you typically have to go all the way home first, then go back out in your POV. Granted much about what is acceptable will depend on agency or even office policy, but the punishment for misuse is set in the CFR: a minimum 30 day suspension.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Tortilla Maker posted:

I suppose the environment varies from agency and department but not a single person who I work with is at all concerned about a possible shutdown. No one is making contingency plans, not a single memo has trickled down from above, and the general consensus is that it's a lot of hot air from both sides.

This has been my experience as well.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Untagged posted:

Does Amtrak have any "Federal Benefits"? As in they participate in the same systems (outside of Railroad Retirement), or is everything in house? Thinking health, education, other retirement benefits, etc. Having trouble locating the information on the website.

Amtrak employees aren't federal employees and don't participate in the Federal Employees Health Benefit Program, Federal Employees Group Life Insurance Program, etc.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

I wonder if people outside the Washington area, military and federal court employees excepted, have any idea what the shutdown means.

No. I experienced this yesterday when I spoke with a recruiter from the temp firm we use to fill a vacant clerk position. I tried to explain that I want the clerk to start on Monday, but if the government is shut down the temp won't be able to start until a spending bill is signed by the President. The recruiter said, "I don't really know anything about a government shutdown. Is there some kind of website we can go to?" I tried explaining over and over again that it would be the top story on any national news program or website, but she honestly had no idea what I was talking about. "Oh, I don't really watch the news."

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

CherryCola posted:

I was watching C-Span broadcasting House proceedings and they mentioned that if there was no agreement they would be coming in tomorrow. If there was some sort of agreement over the weekend, could we still be safe for Monday?

We told all of our employees if a spending bill is enacted anytime over the weekend, show up on Monday. If a bill is enacted on Monday after the orderly shutdown, then come back on Tuesday.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

If you've received NORs, that means someone has reviewed your application and rated you. What did the NORs say?

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Happydayz posted:

or make friends with a general officer or SES. There's something entirely legal called "executive referrals". So long as you meet the basic requirements for employment an executive referral is basically a guaranteed way to get an entry level position. Especially if the GO/SES follows up with a phone call.

Do you have a source for this? I've heard rumors of this type of thing before (also called "name referral") but never actually seen any evidence of it. I haven't seen anything that even comes close in Title 5 that would permit such an activity, and the SES member I work for has never heard of it. I suspect it is an urban legend along the lines of "OPM regulations permit you to have 2 beers during work hours".

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Happydayz posted:

in my internal human resources website there is a mechanism by which to refer an external for hire. It also gives an option to click a box if you are a SES or General Officer. And I know first hand of someone who just got hired by this process - reportedly through this very process

I think I've figured it out. Certain executive branch agencies that have delegated examining authority have direct hire authority. My agency does not have this authority.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

squidtarts posted:

I've always heard that the hiring process is long and drawn out for federal government jobs, but does anyone know if that's different when you have a special status for disabilities? My vocational rehab counselor is all about me trying to get a federal job (I have an English degree and currently have a job I hate as a preschool teacher) but I don't know if it's likely to help me move on from my current job within the next few months.

In my experience on the hiring side, there is no difference in hiring speed for Schedule A applicants compared to public and status applicants.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Lucca Blight posted:

I need to send in a package for US Border Patrol; and part of it is asking for series and grade for Federal positions.

I was recently hired as a PSE Clerk for the USPS; but I have no clue how to go about finding out my series and grade for it. I've tried Google and I shot out an email to the lady who played a part in my hiring process but I've gotten no response yet.

Anyone know where I can find it out?

http://www.opm.gov/fedclass/faqs.asp#USPS

quote:

3. Q: I am, or used to be, a United States Postal Service (USPS) employee. Where can I find my series and grade?

A: Information regarding your pay schedule, series, and grade can be found on your PS Form 50, Notification of Personnel Action. Please refer to box 51 for the series or "Occupation Code", which is defined by the first four digits of the code. Box 60 designates your Rate Schedule Code (similar to a pay schedule), and box 61 indicates your grade.

If you do not have a copy of your last PS-50, and are currently employed by USPS, your PS Form 50 may be obtained in hard copy format through your servicing personnel office, or in electronic format from the Postal Service's electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF) system.

. . .

NOTE: The USPS uses the same series as the rest of the Federal Government, except for occupations which are unique to the Postal Service. These unique occupations are in the 2300 series. The USPS uses its own Rate Schedule Codes (RSC), in place of the General Schedule (GS) and Federal Wage System (FWS) used by much of the Federal Government.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Evil SpongeBob posted:

In addition to what Grover says, now you can bid on status candidate only jobs.

Transferring among agencies is no big deal nowadays.

He can only apply for status candidate jobs if he completed his three years of career-conditional status or has veteran's preference. If he doesn't have either of those, then he can only be reinstated within three years of the date of his separation.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well I got the "you do not meet minimum requirements" message, which is pretty ridiculous given the fairly easy requirements:

I'm a veteran officer (GS-10 equivalent), and I've done all these things. I'm trying to figure out what I didn't phrase right in my resume.

You really need to make things explicit for the human resources personnel who will decide whether or not you meet the minimum requirements. If you use technical language in your resume, the hiring manager will know what you're talking about but your resume may not even make it that far if HR can't figure out that "queried TECS and Accurint for information about target subjects" means that you conducted searches of internal and external databases. One way of doing that is to spell it out just as it is in the announcement. Using my example you could write, "Conducted searches of internal/external databases when I utilized TECS and Accurint to obtain information about investigative targets." This isn't necessarily the best example, but it shows the type of mindset your resume needs to be targeted for.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Delorence Fickle posted:

So far, I haven't really seen any "official" equivalency charts from TSA HR or anybody for that matter.

Also, I thought DoD civilians switched back to the GS system?

This TSA announcement calls SV-F equivalent to GS-5/7/9 and SV-G equivalent to GS-11. Was there a selection to choose your pay plan (SV) before you chose your grade?

EDIT: There is. On 4.3 of the USAJOBS profile builder you should be able to choose SV as the pay plan from the drop down, then you can input F,G or whatever your grade is in the text box.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

DataSage posted:

Perhaps you fine goons could help me. I'm in need of some help. Badly.

I have a Masters of Science in Emergency Planning and Administration from an accredited institution (I know, shut up). I've been interested in working for FEMA, but I've put in sooooo many apps over the past year on USAJobs and I'm getting nothing in response. Now, I know it's not my CV/Resume (my sister works in HR as well as my aunt), and yes I qualify for these jobs, so what's the deal? Could it possibly be that I have a stained resume? I'm going on 4 years of unemployment, post-graduate degree. I'm really getting to that :smith: point. I just don't know what to do anymore, and would really appreciate the help.

Thank you, and sorry if a similar post has been made and missed the response.

Are you a veteran? Many entry-level jobs go to qualified veterans because they have veteran's preference and are entitled to extra points in the scoring process.

Do your sister and aunt work in federal HR offices? If not, you can pretty much ignore their input. A 10 page resume would be instantly tossed in the private sector, but it can be almost mandatory in the federal hiring process.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

From what I understand, the veteran's points are only applied at the very last stage.

When I've reviewed referral lists, the preference points have already been added to the numeric rating. Other agencies may do things differently.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

De Nomolos posted:

My question is this: has anyone heard of instances where people have been able to request transfers to similar available positions in other locations due to family reasons? One of the big reasons why we're moving is to be closer to aging family members. I'd really like to stay in the government, but just going through the normal application process for a new job looks like it's going to be pretty useless.

I work in an agency where it happens, but in my former agency it was impossible. I recently had this situation in my current agency. The director of the district office where my employee wanted to transfer to wanted to see my employee's latest appraisal. I'm sure he also ran his current stats. If my (now former) employee had been a shitbag, I'm sure the district director would have declined.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

mune posted:

Got it. Already have my resume updated and I'll just sit there, clicking the refresh button, haha.

Edit: Aw man, I need to have transcripts faxed in by the end of the day and, of course, I don't have any on hand. I knew I forgot something.

Can you go online and prepare an unofficial transcript?

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Primoman posted:

I wouldn't exactly call 30 "old", but I tried to fill out that form, and it said "You must be under 26 to register".

It sounds like I don't have to do it, but I'd still like to get an official statement for good and all. Who could I contact for confirmation, though?

You needed to register when you were 18-25. If you didn't register, you're most likely going to find yourself ineligible to be employed by the federal government. You can see if you registered here (though the verification is down at the moment):

http://www.sss.gov/Processing/Processing.aspx?Function=V

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

De Nomolos posted:

Not only do you get your full FERS, but you also get a supplemental retirement meant to be equal to what you would receive in OASDI if you were old enough. You get this until you're 62 and eligible for reduced OASDI.

The FERS supplement is available to any federal employee who is eligible, not only those covered by FERS-Special retirement.

http://www.opm.gov/retire/pre/fers/annuitysupp.asp

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Captain Payne posted:

Has anyone here worked (or know anything about working for) the Federal Reserve? I'm considering applying for one of the researcher positions once I get my econ BA.

I believe that only employees of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System are federal employees, and employees of the Federal Reserve Banks are not federal employees.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Mons Hubris posted:

I left federal employment on 9/22, when should I expect my lump sum payment for annual and sick leave?

You won't get any payment for unused sick leave.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Necronomiconomist posted:

I know the pay grade I'm coming in on, but web sites I was looking at talked about being able to discuss the step in that pay grade you start at. Their quote also definitely wasn't the bottom step, so it feels like they have some room to adjust as they see fit.

Are you sure their quote wasn't step 1 with whatever appropriate locality pay included? That would make their offer appear higher than step 1 on the plain GS scale.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Quarex posted:

According to this thing as of 2008 anyone who works for a full year is eligible for competitive status (though why is it not called "non-competitive status?").

TSA employees are, upon completion of one year, eligible to apply for competitive service positions. This eligibility is due to an interchange agreement between TSA and OPM. The agreement does not convert the TSA positions from excepted service to competitive service, and it is possible the agreement could expire at some point without being renewed. This is a slight but important distinction from what you wrote.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

grover posted:

Not necessarily. Very often, it's simply reflective of what you might make if you came in at a high step from a lower rate, the earnings potential you'll have if you stick at it for 18 years. Not all hiring officials are permitted to negotiate up on day 1.

Yeah, I think usually the salary range listed just ranges from step 1 of the lowest posted grade to step 10 of the highest posted grade. I've seen some announcements where they even go low to high based on the locality pay rates.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Kase Im Licht posted:

So today is one year since my last promotion, and since I'm in a career ladder position and am good at my job I kind of expected to get my next bump up.

Hasn't happened. I also have not been given a reason. My supervisor first claimed he didn't know my date was today when I asked him if the paperwork had been processed. A few days later I asked if he'd figured it out and started on it and all he would say "it's not automatic." Hasn't sat me down and told me I'm not getting it and what I need to do to get it, just isn't responding in any helpful way. Not getting a promotion would be unusual here. I talked with another supervisor who said she only ever delayed one due to disciplinary issues. On a side note, it's really great that I can get other supervisors to have a conversation with me about important things but the guy who I report to can't spare more than a vague sentence in response to a serious issue.

I should get a step increase automatically though, right?

In my agency I have to sign a preprinted form certifying that the employee is performing at a fully successful level and has completed the 52/104/156 week waiting period to approve a step increase. My HR person gives me the step increase form to fill out about a month or so before the step increase effective date. A career ladder promotion requires that I write a recommendation memo. I do not get a reminder from HR to submit a memo for career ladder promotions. I know of one person who ended up having a career ladder promotion delayed a few months because her supervisor's position was being filled on an acting rotational basis so no one knew to submit a promotion recommendation and she isn't the type of person to "make waves".

To me your supervisor's "it's not automatic" response seems like a defensive deflection on his part because he forgot about it. I did recently delay a promotion and the employee and I had a very detailed discussion about why the promotion was being denied and what my expectations were several weeks before she even became eligible for it. Since you haven't had that kind of discussion, it further makes me think he just forgot.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

Apparently having an MBA doesn't make you qualified based on education for a budget analyst position. Strange.

FTL

What was the grade level of the position you were applying for? If the position was advertised at the GS-11 level or higher, you can't qualify based solely on education with a masters degree.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Justus posted:

So, my question is: How might I go about reaching out to the FDA and the Office of Device Evaluation? I've tried googling it, and haven't been successful at finding any sort of contact information. There was a generic e-mail on the USAjobs.gov job listing that I tried contacting months ago (for questions regarding the listing), but I haven't heard back yet in the last three months.

It looks like Office of Device Evaluation is an office within the FDA's Office of Medical Products and Tobacco, Center for Devices and Radiological Health. The ODE management phone directory is at the link below.

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/OfficeofMedicalProductsandTobacco/CDRH/CDRHOffices/ucm127854.htm

If you are especially enterprising, you can cross reference that directory with the DHHS Employee Directory to find a direct telephone number and email address.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Kase Im Licht posted:

So, anyone know anything about getting money out of your agency when they're not reimbursing you for a work trip? I don't mean not doing it timely, but entirely refusing to pay me back for the airline tickets? I'm guessing I'll have to sue to get it back?

Basically they're saying I booked the tickets incorrectly. At first the finance woman said it would just take an extra authorization, but 3 months later they've done nothing. First they took forever getting me my travel card, so I was booking three days before my conference began. When I finally got it they only said "book with XYZ travel agency." So I went to xyz.net, where they had a flight search thing on the front page. I found a flight and booked it. The confirmation came back from abc.com, but I just figured they were using someone else for the backend or it was an associated company. Of course, when I turn in my voucher they say "that's not from xyz travel agency." I replied that I did book it through the website, and that some google searching shows up a relationship of some sort between abc and xyz. Then they say I was supposed to call to book the tickets. Since it was 2013 and I have never in my entire life booked a flight over the phone, even when that was still a thing, someone saying book with a certain company does not mean, to me, to book with them over the phone. This was the point at which she said she would try and get authorization from someone higher up.

Well no payment so far. And what do you know, I went and found the old materials from the travel training and what do you think I found right on one of the PowerPoint printouts? "Book your flights with xyz, either over the phone or at xyz.net"

If you're in a big agency where you are semi-anonymous, you might be best served by filing a congressional. I had to do that when I transferred agencies long ago. The agency I left was too lazy to forward my information to my gaining agency, and I was coming upon a deadline that threatened to screw with my pay. I called my senators office, faxed the paperwork over, and everything I needed done was completed by the end of the day. This after two weeks of calls every day from both myself and my HR person.

Failing that, I believe you have to file a claim with the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Radio Talmudist posted:

Would it be worthwhile to remove some of the (possibly irrelevant) work experience from my resume and instead write more about how my education would tie into the expectations and duties of an analyst? This sort of thing would be better suited in a cover letter, but I wonder if I should or could incorporate into my resume.

If it isn't in your resume, it will not be considered by the lowest-level person who also happens to be the person that decides whether or not you are qualified to advance in the hiring process. This will often be a person with a high school education, so spell everything out and don't presume the reviewer will know that certain duties are inherent for any particular position you may have held. Don't worry about irrelevancy. The resume you submit is essentially an exam. You pass the exam by having your resume plausibly match as many KSAs as are listed in the vacancy announcement. The biggest bullshit fed hiring reform was the announcement that KSAs were being done away with. While separate KSA statements are no longer required, the reality is the same information now needs to be in the resume. We've gone from having a two page standardized application form with a supplement of a paragraph to address each necessary skill to a monstrous resume that typically exceeds seven pages. Don't worry about including too much information. If you are afraid such a lengthy resume will reflect poorly on you (it won't), bring a more traditional-style resume to your interview.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

razz posted:

Okay this is just an anecdote but I had an interview a few weeks ago at a state park that is partially under federal management so there were both state and federal employees at my interview. I did what you said, brought my resume to the interview and handed out a copy to everyone. They all looked at the HR lady who was there at the interview, and did not, I assume COULD NOT look at my resume. I saw the guy who would be my direct supervisor trying to peek at my resume when the HR lady was not looking. Before that second, he had never seen my resume and did not know anything about me or my qualifications for the position. I know this for a fact because I met with him the day before. So the sad reality is the guy who would be my boss, who I would be working directly under, has absolutely zero say in the hiring process, it's all done through HR. You "win" the job if you say the right keywords during the interview, much like you "win" an interview if you put the right keywords in your resume.

Depending on the job, the people you will be working for may not be able to even look at your resume because of government hiring laws. It's a screwed up system but there you go.

As a federal manager who has hired several individuals, I have never had anyone from HR present during interviews I have participated in. I am not aware of any reason why I could not review an applicant's resume. When we have hiring panels, HR gives each of us a packet for each interviewee. The packets include all of the application materials they submitted. Perhaps it was some type of state personnel policy in place at that park?

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Man_of_Teflon posted:

What's the deal with the Recent Graduates program? When did this replace FCIP as a way around hiring veterans?

I've been working for SSA for ~4 years now. Before and since I was hired I've always kept my eye open for 1811 series Investigator jobs, since I studied criminal investigation in college, but they're usually too high a grade or too far away for me to bother applying to.

Now a couple 1811 positions just opened up hiring at 09, RIGHT in my current city, but they only seem to be open to recent (2 years, or 6 if you're a veteran) graduates :(

The Pathways programs were implemented exactly because agencies were using FCIP to sidestep preference-eligible veterans. That's why veterans get the longer time period post-graduation under recent graduate hiring. I started my federal career in an 1811 position. If that is what you truly want, you need to look for 1811 vacancies with any agency in any city. The 1811 series is probably the most competitive job in the entire civil service. The year I started my agency hired 19 people for 1811 positions out of more than 10,000 applicants. Fortunately for me I was right at the post-Gulf War sweet spot where enough time had elapsed from the end of the war that most of those veterans were no longer looking for entry-level jobs. I couldn't imagine how difficult it is to be hired now without being a preference-eligible veteran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Delorence Fickle posted:

I know that patent examiners get poached all the time to work for patent law firms. This explains why the USPTO has to offer up crazy good benefits to get them to stay there.

What extra benefits does USPTO offer? The only federal agencies that I've seen offer extra benefits beyond the standard federal suite are those that deal with the financial industry.