Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
Anything on my SF-86, I let the investigator know.

I had really strong mitigating evidence so it wasn't an issue.

TCD fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

fivetwo posted:

It asks, "Have you ever been charged for a FELONY offense?"

I'm sure the charge was a felony to begin with. Your lawyer probably negotiated it down, and then it was dismissed as you say.

Yeah, I think it's charged, not convicted.

So... good luck.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Gravel Gravy posted:

How viable is it to work for a janitorial contractor that requires a TS clearance to help in getting your foot in the door?
Will they sponsor you for a TS?

I thought most places like that really wouldn't hire people who didn't hold a clearance.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Gravel Gravy posted:

Well for one company that I may do this for is having the clearance done through the State Dept. as it is in an embassy (though I haven't heard a drat thing from them for months, havent even begun the SF-86). Today, another company responded to my initial e-mail for the same type of position, different location, so who knows.

I am sure that there will be a certain number of years that I would have to work for them to keep people from getting cleared and dumping them though.

Yeah I have not heard a single thing from them. I've pretty much written that prospect off at this point.
So this would be a local hire at an Embassy then?

Good luck!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Gravel Gravy posted:

No, its an American embassy in a foreign country.

Weird, I agree.
Local hire is what we'd call that position or would it be a PSC/PSA type contract?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Business of Ferrets posted:

I'm guessing it's with PA&E -- major contractor for custodial services at some overseas facilities. We've had them at every post to which I've been assigned.

Well we certainly don't have em here!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

CherryCola posted:

Oh man, security clearance is such a pain. I can't remember the dates I worked every pithy little job over the last 10 years. Halp.

edit: A question about foreign contacts. So it says I should list people to whom I am bound by affection, influence and/or obligation. I mean, I have friends...but I wouldn't consider myself "bound" by any of them necessarily. Does that mean I can just totally skip this section?

Do I have to list my Indian ex-boyfriend who I have completely severed? I have no idea what his address is currently and I really don't want to know either.

Ex-boyfriend that you had relations with in the last few years?

Yes, they'll probably want to know.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

CherryCola posted:

Welp, this is going to take like a month to fill out.

edit: oh thank god, they don't ask for addresses or phone numbers. That makes my life SO much easier.
I'd wager a guess that the investigator is going to want to know what's up with an ex-boyfriend.

In short, you'll still probably have to have contact info for the person, and if you don't, it might cause more problems.

And yes, they wanted contact info from me for the people I put down. Even if it doesn't say so, they'll want a starting point other then a possible fictitious name.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

I'm pretty sure on my State interview, it mentioned that all this was on the applicant and no expenses would be reimbursed.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Boondock Saint posted:

I would have loved to be honest. I did ask if they had alternate times or evening testing and they said no to both, so I tried and they were polite about it either way. If I was unemployed still or was working somewhere that I didn't give a poo poo about, I totally would have scheduled anyways and figured something out.

Hearing that at least its not like I just threw away the hardest test to get into though does make me feel better. That would have been the icing to top my lovely day.

Uh... you know you could ask people in the FSOT to ask actual DS agents about the process. I mean, the 40 agents who entered my hire class I'm sure didn't pass anything similar to what you're going through............ Good luck.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Cjones posted:

On the topic of the polygraph, there were a few things I have a question about.

1) They say you will be quizzed on illegal drug involvement. How in depth does that go? I smoked marijuana my senior year in high school and the first semester of my freshman year in college but I quit and I haven't done any other kind of drug ever.

2) Subversive acts? Is this more along the lines of palling around with the wrong people?
Even on a non-poly TS, these will come up and they will ask people you had no idea they'd talk to about these questions.

Just be honest.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Well, I'm sure happy I got my admin promotion one month ago!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Chadula posted:

TS clearance. I have a medical card in my State, but I feel that will not show enough "mitigation"
For a secret, I'm not sure... but for a TS? A card? When was the last time you used?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Chadula posted:

TS = Top secret. Last month. As I understand it, anything within a couple of months can be considered "active" use. However, what is interesting about my case is that on the SF 86 it specifically says "illegal" use within the past 7 years. Technically in the states eyes I was legal. The form does not differentat state vs federal legalities. Although I'm sure its implied federal. I mean you can get a prescription for cocaine and vicodin so why is cannabis all that different? (barring the schedule of the drug) I've done alot of digging and reading and the only thing I see as precedents in my case is this one, http://www.clearancejobsblog.com/cleared-career-advice/drugs-medical-marijuana-and-security-clearances/ But that guy was an idiot and tried having one (medical marijuana) while he had a clearance.

I feel my case is going to be a lawyer type of a case, but anywho any feedback is appreciated.

That usage is pretty recent without much mitigation. If you used after you submitted your application, I don't think that's going to go over to well. Just my guess.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Chances of a .gov shutdown?

I'm 99% sure I'll be exempted and work anyways but still, it's going to suck if it happens.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

grover posted:

The last time the government shut down, in 1995, furloughed workers still ended up getting paid, didn't they?

Yes, but that's not a guarantee this time around.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Olphij posted:

Some of the people I work with were around during the government shutdown in '95 and '96. They said they received backpay for that furlough period.

I'm not sure I'd count on this given the House of Reps and their "mandate" to cut spending.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Zoo posted:

I don't know how it works for contractors either, but it probably isn't a good time to be one. A friend was told by her company to prepare for contingencies if there's a shut down (look for a new job).

The next 2 years will be quite interesting to see how this plays out.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Zoo posted:

I can't think of any tea partiers in Congress that represent fed-heavy districts off the top of my head. A few of the DC area congressmen in heavy fed jurisdictions (like Gerry Connolly and both VA senators) are Democrats. There aren't that many Tea Party Republicans in Congress in the first place. It's funny when tea partiers and Republicans at work yammer on about that stuff while collecting a federal paycheck, though. After the pay freeze thing came out they were all furious and criticized Obama, even though it was a key part of the GOP's platform plan for America if they re-took the House. I don't know how they'll spin it if Darrell Issa's amendment to freeze promotions and step increases gets into a spending bill that actually passes.

Whoa, yeah the no step/no promotion would be a pisser for those of us in the FS.

Edit: Also I can't stand the Tea Partiers in the State Dept. I asked one why he didn't resign out of principal. That didn't go over to well.

TCD fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 21, 2011

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Zoo posted:

it makes life easier to just not have to bother. That way they can say, "yes, I used to pirate mp3s, but now I use iTunes for everything" or whatever and it's fine.

Yup.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Tortilla Maker posted:

I suppose the environment varies from agency and department but not a single person who I work with is at all concerned about a possible shutdown. No one is making contingency plans, not a single memo has trickled down from above, and the general consensus is that it's a lot of hot air from both sides.

Are my co-workers (and myself for that matter) really that naive? It seems as though most Feds here on SA are genuinely concerned.

With oversea operation, (and poo poo like, of gently caress, where would I get money? I don't trust the half-dozen ATMs in the country) we are aware. If it happens, it happens, but at least most of my co-workers are starting to make preparations and plans in the event of a shutdown.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Zoo posted:

It looks less likely with recent developments, but it was never merely hot air. Shutdowns happen.

For now...

;)

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Who's up for some sequester!!! :negative:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Radio Talmudist posted:

This question is probably too general to be even useful, but I'll try anyway. Would you say that the average public sector job is less stressful and maintains better work/life balance than private sector counterparts? It seems the vacations are longer, the benefits better, and the lack of a profit motive removes many of the more onerous abuses of employees you see in jobs.

Of course, this doesn't include Seal Team Six or any group who need to assassinate terrorists on a daily basis.

Depends. There's plenty of jobs here at State that can have plenty of moments more stressful than your normal private sector job.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

CherryCola posted:

Yeah, everyone at our agency was having to decide which day they want "off." I'm pretty dang unhappy, since it's not like I'm rolling in cash. I guess I'll be reading a lot of books this summer...

So, will all fed employees add to the underemployed stats?

No word yet at our Dept. for hours/days off...

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

ixo posted:

Some of us in USDA are considered essential personnel and cannot be furloughed (me), but if you're dealing with administrative/managerial types then yeah. My agency is fee funded too but my bosses can and will be furloughed anyway.

What's interesting is that Fed Times had an article stating that all FBI staff would be furloughed. I'm not sure the "essential" staff moniker will save people from furloughs.

We'll see.

fed times posted:

Customs and Border Protection is planning to furlough all 60,000 employees for up to 14 days if sequestration goes into effect, the National Treasury Employees Union said Wednesday.

This furlough situation seems different than a government shutdown...

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Mons Hubris posted:

Tax question! For purposes of Turbotax, does the TSP count as an IRA? I have both traditional and Roth.

I thought the regular TSP counts as an IRA and takes money out pre-tax. So if you make 60,000 and put 5,000 in your your taxable income starts at 55k. This should all be on your W2 I thought.

The Roth doesn't count, as that's post tax money (and you can withdraw it tax free in the future).

Aside from this sequestration stuff, I might be really close to contributing the max TSP this year! That will change when I PCS and my wife quits her job... :(

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Mons Hubris posted:

Ok, that's what I thought, thanks. There's a form where you're looking at deductions and it has IRA/Roth income that you can input, but I wasn't sure if TSP was treated more like that or a 401(k) type of thing. I've never really done my own taxes before, so... ugh.

I really hope they figure out and avert all this sequester poo poo soon guys :(

We have an accountant... so, take everything I said with a grain of salt.

As for the sequester nonsense, it looks like it's going to happen. Now, once you start having reduced mil expenditures and longer lines in the airport, maybe they'll get around to removing some of the impacts or actually look at raising revenue and the problem child that nobody likes to talk about (medicaid/medicare).

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Let the fun times role.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

What kind of opportunities would the government have for a recent graduate in BIomedical Engineering? What kind of pay grade would a Bachelors of Science in BME qualify for?

Uh, look at USAJobs?

If I had to guess, a bachelors would probably land you in the GS-7/9 range.

I'm on a different pay scale so, yeah.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

grover posted:

Bachelors generally = GS-5. There are a number of ways to start off as a GS-7, though, like carrying a 3.0 GPA or being in the top 10% or breathing, etc. Experience counts a lot more than a degree for GS ratings.

Huh, looks like I'm essentially a GS-11.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

grover posted:

Got clarification from civilian council in my command's JAG department today- pretending not to receive furlough notification or refusing to accept it will not get you out of a furlough. My clever plan of going on leave for a few weeks to postpone the pain won't work :(

I don't think there's any way to duck a furlough.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Also, Paul Ryan's budget.

This is just me talking, but with all the proposed cuts under sequestration and the GOP budget, I wish they'd include cuts to all the Congressinally mandated reporting and controls.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Radio Talmudist posted:

So do people get Federal jobs without connections? I'm tired of having to network like a maniac to get a second look at my resume...if I don't know someone at the federal agency I'm applying to, am I shafted?

I only applied for one federal job. But, Foreign Service is a bit different then GS.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Leviathan Song posted:

It is perfectly acceptabale to assume that my equivalent experience with non-profits outside of work counts even if the exact wording of the question implies that only leadership positions within federal service count.

The openings do have a point that the way the USG does things is pretty different from the NGO/non-profit world.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

0 right now - no notices either.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

http://blogs.federaltimes.com/federal-cartoon-fedtape/2013/04/23/fed-tape-april-22/

I had a good laugh.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

I can early out at 50, and that will have ~25-26 years in.

After my three year assignment in Western Europe, I'll have 8 years in, and other 3 year assingment and I'm almost halfway there. At least hopping jobs every 1-3 years breaks up the mundane.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Justus posted:

You're telling me. I started two weeks ago, and apparently I get to be on FERS-RAE, which came with a nice two page note full of flowery language, that to me appeared to be explaining in a very long-winded way that it's the exact same annuity system, but I have to pay in four times as much! Ugh! (I mean really? Or am I missing something here?)
As I understand it, yes, your percentage pay in is higher than those already in the system for the same exact benefit coverage.

Although I'm not in FERS so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

psydude posted:

The vast majority of IT personnel working the government, like probably 90%, are contractors. The non-manager federal employees themselves almost always fall more into an administrative function anyway due to the various regulations prohibiting contractors doing things like interfacing with vendors and asset control. It'll be a lot easier to get in as a contractor and convert to a federal position later.

Probably depends Department to Department. At mid-high grades, Fed IT employees are almost always managers of projects/resources.