Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salo
Aug 31, 2004

....meh

Sundae posted:

Any USPTO workers in this thread? I've been trying to get a job there for four years now. They keep freezing hiring for my relevant fields, but reopened a few positions in the last few weeks. I'm applying again.

Is it as bad as the USPTO job-satisfaction surveys claim it is? The pay's pretty awesome for gov stuff, from what I've seen.

I worked as a contractor in the USPTO Library, so I got to speak to a lot of examiners and private researchers. Right now, there is a lot of pressure on examiners to meet quotas and deadlines, however, the hours are very flexible. Also, many examiners are working from home now, but I think you need at least a year or two of experience before that happens.

The pay is good and you can move up relatively quickly. I know a guy who started 2 years ago who is already a GS-13 with only a bachelor's degree. He works his rear end off though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salo
Aug 31, 2004

....meh

Sundae posted:

GS-13 after 2 years with only a B.S? Did he work in a patent-law firm before starting at the USPTO? I'm trying to figure out how he could possibly have made the leap from GS-7 up to 13 in only two years, even if he was Jesus Christ, Patent-Pro or something.

He was a private researcher for a law firm before going civie, however, he could have been there for 3 years. My mistake.

Salo
Aug 31, 2004

....meh
For anyone interested in entry level, check out the Air Force's Palace Acquire program here:
http://www.afciviliancareers.com/careers/hiringopportunities/students/palace/

They usually start recruiting at college campuses around this time of year. The schedule hasn't been posted yet, but there is an informational phone number on that website. I've known people who've been interviewed and hired on the spot (pending security clearance). Also, keep an eye on USA Jobs as positions are usually posted for only a week or so.

Salo
Aug 31, 2004

....meh

amethystbliss posted:

Great, thanks for this. Should I write down that I can't start until July 2011 or should I pretend I can start immediately so they don't just ignore my application? Honestly, I'm willing to drop my masters for a well paying job right now but I don't know how well that would go over. Also, I'm assuming I should answer all of the questions on the assessment questionnaire honestly? I've had loads of academic experience in the jobs I'm applying for, plus a few internships but no independent experience. For example, the questions all ask me to choose from these options:

A I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
B I have had education or training in performing the task, but have not yet performed it on the job.
C I have performed this task on the job. My work on this task was monitored closely by a supervisor or senior employee to ensure compliance with proper procedures.
D I have performed this task as a regular part of a job. I have performed it independently and normally without review by a supervisor or senior employee.
E I am considered an expert in performing this task. I have supervised performance of this task or am normally the person who is consulted by other workers to assist them in doing this task because of my expertise.

I find myself putting C for most of them, but will this result in my application being thrown out immediately since it will result in a lower score? Thanks again!

It depends on the position, the number of applicants, and the hiring agency. For example, Library of Congress won't even look at an applicant who didn't answer E for each question. In fact, if you attend federal government hiring workshops, they'll usually tell you to answer with E as much as you possibly can. Don't answer E if you have zero experience, but if you think you can remotely justify your answer, go for it.

Salo
Aug 31, 2004

....meh

Zoo posted:

The Air Force intern program I pasted above, PALACE ACQUIRE, is also a good way to get a job. You start out low, but you are essentially assured a position when finished (though sometimes it may not be in the location you want; many people end up in DC or San Antonio). It's a competitive program, but it does have intelligence and other positions.

I have not gone through this program, but few people seem to know about it and I do know five people--that number is precise, because I can recall names of PALACE ACQUIRE former interns-- who've had great success with it. I think it's a three-year program. While three of them are still "languishing" at ~GS/GG-11 a year after completion (not too bad however) and one is a -12 equivalent with a master's degree (could do better, could do worse), one required only nine years to land a senior position in a major intelligence agency, albeit part of that is testament to her capabilities. This isn't so much because the program is so good, I'd guess, but more just because it's a way to get your foot in the door and that's what matters.

I'm in the program myself and this is spot-on. The training opportunities are excellent if you make the most of your time. Plus, you are essentially guaranteed a job after you finish as long as you meet the minimum qualifications, however, overseas positions are getting tougher to come by.

Salo
Aug 31, 2004

....meh

Zoo posted:

I still think it's possible, too, but look at this article on FederalNewsRadio. I don't know what would happen after the two weeks, but my money has switched from "don't bet on either side" to a slight, low-wager "don't bet on the shutdown on Mar 4." I don't know more than anyone else though, of course; the momentum for Friday as doomsday just seems to be diminishing.

Unfortunately, I run in Republican circles due to the nature of my job. They are publicly stating they do not want a shut-down because of the mess Gingrich caused for their party back in 95. However, behind closed doors even the non-tea party Republicans are gleefully clamoring for it.

Bottom line is that they are trying to set themselves up to deflect the blame once the shutdown happens. I really hope I eat my words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salo
Aug 31, 2004

....meh

CherryCola posted:

So todaaay is my first day actually going to my duty station! I'm not really sure what to expect since I haven't had any training in my actual job yet and probably won't for a few months. I also have no idea what time I'm supposed to be there, so I'm getting there around 7:30 just to be safe. Wish me luck ya'll.

Welcome to the Federal Government, where every new employee is the first person your agency has ever hired and the mysterious tech guy who is supposed to setup your computer accounts is eternally on vacation! Good luck!