Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Weird, maybe that covers a compound and PMC bodyguards to/from the office or something :v:

So anyways it's Sunday night and my Feb 15-16 DIA recruiting event application status is still "Active". Nobody else heard anything from them yet? I found out I have another out of state interview later that same week, and am still waiting to buy plane tickets. May blow DIA off if it looks like I might run the risk of getting snow'd in and missing the flight to Atlanta for the other interview, and the physical abilities test I have back in Tampa the following morning.

Government :argh:

I'm not sure specifically about the hiring event (though I did hear from a single source that there were "only a few" billets available -- grain of salt), but it's not unusual for your status to say "Active" for weeks or months after a billet has been filled or otherwise closed to you, unfortunately.

The two people I referred to the hiring event haven't heard anything. But then, if you weren't invited you wouldn't hear anything; at least if it works the way it did a few years ago.

Depending on your background, I'd lean toward blowing it off. The background caveat is significant, however; if you believe you have a uniquely high chance for some reason, that's different, considering this is probably the most reliable way to get hired by DIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

Crazyweasel posted:

Yea I'm positive I read on the application that you'd hear back by a certain date whether your were accepted or not by e-mail I believe. I forget the date and I'm not sure how close they adhere to that policy, but I'm 98% sure I read that.

You could be right; I just know that in 2008 they didn't bother telling you, or the notification just didn't make it through to the person I know who wasn't called.

Also, for what it's worth, a friend received an appointment (interview) for the hiring event via e-mail today. So there's one sign of life for you.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

menpoop posted:

I got notified last night that I wasn't selected and I was disappointed since I thought I was very well qualified apart from relevant workplace experience. I normally would've chalked it up to me having a lovely cover letter or writing sample but there was nothing subjective like that on the app. Do you mind posting a vague description of your friend's qualifications? I'm pretty sure my lack of internships or job-related experience is what held me back here.

I wouldn't worry too much about not being invited. Like someone else said, this is a competitive market and it's possible there simply weren't many billets. As for my friend, she's trying to get back into DIA after working there before and is currently contracting in the IC. She turned down the invite because it was for a band 03, and when she was there before she was a band 04.

A lot of people applying had IC experience or were in the IC, so it's a tough market. Although you could be competitive for band 02s -- just not sure how many were available (more might open up later, at that pay grade). If you're coming straight from college, lack of experience/internships probably did keep you out this time, but keep trying. It's still generally a good bet for newbies.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

problematique posted:

Just what the hell exactly does "Eligible – Application Not Referred to Selecting Official" mean? I'm pretty fed up and disenfranchised with the whole applying for federal job. I've gotten about 30-40 of these. I don't even want an interview. I'm just curious why I'm eligible for jobs and not being referred. USAJOBS.gov is a big joke. Does anyone actually get hired from it outside of vets/ex-dod?

I just don't understand how people keep at it.

It does work; it just has a lot of applicants. Just remember that you have to get hired only once (in the immediate future, anyway). And yeah, the more "E"s you select on the KSAs, the more likely you are to be referred to a human, though even if you "max out" the scores you won't necessarily be referred.

Nobody is going to question you about your answers on the silly USAJobs form and people even know you might be fluffing up your resume to a certain extent (though they are far more likely to call you out on that, so never lie and always be able to make a valid but strong case for yourself). You don't want to get stuck wasting time interviewing for a position you know you're not remotely qualified for if/when you get called in to talk to the actual managers looking to fill their position(s), so don't take it too far. But it's easier to sell yourself too weakly than too strongly IMO. I have first-hand experience with doing both of those things, but more of the former than the latter, and doing the latter has still been more productive. It seems that most people peddle an obscene amount of bullshit to an extent probably worse than most do-gooder pseudo-autistic goons realize, which affects you because if they can talk the talk, then they might get the job instead of you.

Poontang posted:

Do you guys use cover letters when applying through USAJOBS.gov?

I don't. Although read the application instructions description, since some jobs will have explicit requirements.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 13, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

problematique posted:

Any guides or resource you can recommend?

Read the job requirements and duties. A lot of the buzz words in the duties and position description sections are likely to be keywords.

"Position description: Authors reports and conducts briefings for senior sewage decision-makers. Performs quality control of sewage engineer performance in accordance with Sewage Task Force (STF) standards. Leads team(s) of certified partner Toilet Cleaner Organization members and sewage engineers. Mentors junior staff and instructs new team members on how to apply critical Johnson Pubic Removal (JBR) enforcement concepts in accordance with the Americans Against Pubic Hair Act. Represents the agency at conferences and in private sewage industry. Performs other duties as assigned."

Keywords to trip the USAJobs bot/script: toilet, sewage engineer, sewage task force, johnson, americans against pubic hair act ("yes, sir/ma'm, I have significant experience enforcing that law at Wendy's"), toilet cleaner organization.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Happydayz posted:

resume pulling stuff

I have absolutely no doubt about any of this, but I've sat with the people pulling resumes in my shop too. We've been hiring extensively for months on end and still have more to do. We get thousands of applicants as well, as we're listed both on USAJobs and the agency's site, and we do get the weird random resumes somehow sometimes, but what you're saying depends on the hiring managers--mine seem to have a different methodology. We also have a hard time finding qualified people on paper (to say nothing of actual qualifications once they're on board) and often have to settle.

After pulling the resumes for the people we want to hire (all those "star" contractors going federal), we're looking to fill cold. At that point we have four people who look through resumes and one of them in particular is extremely anal about it. I assure you that he wastes hours and hours looking for the "best" fit, whatever he thinks that happens to be, and doesn't leave any resumes behind.

And those resumes don't get to him if you don't make it past HR, obviously, so there's some reasonable cause for sperging out about keywords IMO if you're going in cold. But if you don't get pulled, yeah, definitely agree that you shouldn't sweat it, because you're first competing with silly scripts and HR monkeys, then you're rolling the dice on your selecting official, none of which is in your control besides maybe, to a certain extent, the first stage with keywords. You don't know the hiring managers' individual criteria for selection. In my shop's case, probably nobody does, since the main person pulling is an introvert and doesn't share his thought processes. The other hiring managers mostly stay out of it and let him handle the workload until interview time.

You could end up with Happydayz's div chief, who apparently pulls poo poo randomly, or you could end up with mine, who will, a) first look for people we want to hire and already think are qualified, and then b) apply his personally developed methodology for narrowing down who to interview. Oh, and after that point you still have to have HR sign off on you. If you're already inside, then the shop will fight for you if HR kicks it back, but otherwise you're in the dark with what's going on. The people in my shop have been trying to bring on a golden-boy type contractor they want as a -14 equivalent branch chief for months, rewriting his HR package each time HR says he's unqualified. I'm sure could be agency-dependent, though.

And it's also worth noting that all these positions are band 4 (GG-13/14 equivalent). I don't think our hiring managers will put as much scrutiny into it when we get band 2 and 3 vacancies flooding in, which are the positions most of you are gunning for, so yeah, it's still absolutely true that you shouldn't sweat anything; especially hiring events in DC where thousands of people with extensive relevant job experience apply. Happydayz, et al are saying that it's the best bet for a reason--in my case, it's because anecdotally most people hired into band 2/3 I've run into were hired at a hiring event-- but it just gives you better odds than applying on the site blindly with 98,000 other applicants for a single billet probably already identified beforehand, that's all.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 14, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

On the contractor side, the people supporting us lost their contract and their replacements are totally random. No relevant experience whatsoever except for one guy (a more senior guy). One of them was a history teacher and a Guard MI O-2 with no relevant experience to what we do. Not even remotely relevant, except for being in MI (which is really, really remote as far as I'm concerned, since that doesn't mean he can do this particular job).

Total loss on that for us pretty much. I have no idea how these guys were pulled, but I'd imagine it was the Happydayz branch chief method.

Skandiaavity posted:

Well, as this is the thread and it's word of mouth - Mind sharing the billets? Who knows, maybe you will find a fit.

Then you'd have to move to grovertown. :P

Zoo fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 14, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

I have a question. Someone from HR for a government contractor I interviewed with gave me a call and wanted to "go over about 30 questions that pertained to the security clearance the job required." Do you guys think this is an SF-86? What should I be expecting/have ready when I call back?

It sounds like generic questions to check your eligibility for a clearance. The SF-86 is a giant, monotonous form in which you document your previous residences, people you knew at those residences, etc., and which ends with a list of questions about drug use, criminal activity, espionage (hyperbole generally imo), and other stuff. I wouldn't expect to fill it out over the phone. It's online now in many cases. It's a pain in the rear end and you'll have to dig through your life history for it; gonna be more than 30 phone Q's. He might just ask you the questions at the end of the form, dunno, but you'll fill it out properly some other time surely. You need to enter your SSN, sign, etc.

You probably don't need to have anything ready except your memory of any drug use and what-not, but always better to be prepared than not, eh?

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Well lucky for me, I have a TS! I actually haven't gotten the official paperwork, but I talked to the HR person who told me that I'm past the adjudication and awaiting placement.

I did tell a few people, because most of them knew I was waiting anyway...and were interviewed as part of the investigation. :) Otherwise, I've spoken in very general terms about the job. I mostly tell people I'm going to be an analyst or that it's a "federal position."

edit: Also I totally am a goody-two-shoes anyway, so I totally have this covered :)

I'm glad that worked out for you. All of your questions and anxieties while waiting were perfectly normal, believe it or not. You'll walk through the doors eventually and you'll be able to tell everyone how stressful it was. :P

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Happydayz posted:

Official referrals through the referral process is a waste of time. I don't even bother trying to refer people through official channels anymore after the Arabic, Mandarin, and Korean speaking combat veterans I referred did not even get contacted.

I have a fluent Urdu speaker (who has held TS w/ SSBI) in the same boat. Nothing comes of the employee referral program. I made a strong case and specific recommendations.

It seems to work for contractors though.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

amethystbliss posted:

I got a GS7 Step 1 job offer and asked HR if I would qualify for a higher step based on the fact that I'll have a masters before I start. She said no, that GS7 Step 1 is where you'd start with a masters. I took her word for it, sulked a little, and accepted the job offer (they only gave me 3 days to accept, so it was really rushed).

Then I started actually reading up on it. Everything I've read says that a masters should start you at GS9. I understand that the job posting was GS7, so I don't expect to be bumped up to GS9 or anything, but I was given incorrect information by HR and think I should at least be considered to start at a higher step. The salary range listed on the job posting allows for that. Now that I've accepted their offer, is it too late to try to negotiate again? Not that the first was really much negotiation, I was just asking them a simple question. Doesn't the fact that I've already accepted the offer indicate I'm willing to take the GS7 Step 1 pay and thus make any negotiations sound really weak? I feel like such an idiot.

For what it's worth, I haven't signed anything yet, I just called them and accepted. My potential supervisor is really enthusiastic and excited that I've accepted, so I don't want to gently caress things up now. But I also don't want to lose out on a potential $5-$10k raise.

If it's not totally lovely to negotiate, how on earth do I do this? I'm not living in the city where the job is. Would I do it over the phone? Should I email them a list of reasons I should be started at a higher step?

Yay for being clueless for my first adult job offer.

I don't have a solid, proper HR answer for you, but I can relay to you that I verbally accepted a GG-10 offer before I first got here and later was able to renegotiate to -11. The caveat to my anecdote is that roughly a year had passed in that timeframe (I accepted about a year before I was going to start work), but my HR rep didn't balk -- and I was living mostly on unemployment during that year, so I wasn't able to argue that I had much more job experience when I renegotiated. I would call up your rep and ask (phone is fine). Just explain the situation. The bad news is that the rep might just re-iterate the line, "Oh, nope, a master's is GS-7," but hey, see what you can do.

edit: The job posting being GS-7 might make this difficult. I'd still try for a higher step. First ask about -9, and if that gets shot down in a convincing way then it might be because it really is a -7 billet and you should make the case that you are qualified for a 9, so you should get a higher step. HR reps will be hit or miss on this. I had my HR rep at my last job outright lie to me about that ("sir, step 1 is the only offer we can make" -- I found out after I was hired that they were authorized up to step 4).

Also, if you get really lucky and have a strong rapport with your new boss(es), there's a chance they'll be receptive to your sob story and pull levers to bump you early. I left my first job for a higher pay grade job and my bosses offered to bump me a pay grade + two steps (I think). I would absolutely not count on this, though, and I definitely don't know how the rules/processes differ among the agencies. I know a lot of people who got hired with great credentials at a low pay grade and just had to suck it up; the most likely scenario probably, if your re-negotiation attempt doesn't work. I've also run into a couple, "wait, you're a lower pay grade than me with a master's and I just have a bachelor's?" anecdotes among the hired-straight-from-college types.

BTW, almost everyone forgets to push negotiations properly on their first job offer. Just remember that you aren't working for HR, so they don't care. Once you do sign the paperwork your relationship is pretty much over.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 19, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

grover posted:

Set, I think what you were offered to stay was more along the lines of a QSI that came out of the bonus budget. The first command I worked at routinely hired engineers at GS-7 step 10 during the dot.com boom because they had difficulty getting good people for GS-7 pay. Bit different with today's economy...

It sounded like a QSI, but I neglected to mention that it was during the pay-for-performance era -- actually, the whole fiasco was because of pay-for-performance in a convoluted, boring way. I distinctly recall they offered to bump me to what my salary would've been had the conversion to pay-for-performance not screwed me at hiring time, which was the equivalent of the next pay grade at step 2 had we been using the GS/GG scale (I was supposed to be grandfathered in to having that happen automatically), but yeah it was probably from the same pot of money. I left the job and never found out.

She should definitely try to renegotiate before starting, though. Not having signed the offer yet makes things easier, though if she had signed then all they'd have to do is scrap it and send her a new letter to sign. The curiosity is that she said the vacancy was posted for a -7, although maybe it doesn't matter for the non-competitive pay grades?

By the way, it's definitely true about the recruitment incentives. I had a bonus and moving expenses paid for an -11 job, but now I am being told that band 4/13-14 offers aren't coming with moving expenses, much less bonuses.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 19, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

amethystbliss posted:

Thanks for all of the responses! When I got word from my supervisor that they wanted to offer me the position, she said everyone starts at GS-7 Step 1 but that HR would be more helpful with the pay side of things. However the job posting itself says salary is from $38,790 to $50,431. Does this mean HR is authorized to pay up to $50,431 (step 10)? For what it's worth, GS9 Step 1 starts at $47,448. The job is a 2 year contract, so whether I'm on G7 or G9 isn't too important to me, I just want to get the most competitive salary.

If the posting advertises up to $50,431 and that's exactly 7.10 on the pay scale, I would push for a higher step but not get my hopes up. I'd argue the case that you're accepting a position at a grade lower than what you're qualified for. I can't provide proper advice for how much more you should be asking for, though; maybe someone with experience in this job series or with the VA can chime in for cultural insight into what you can expect or what's reasonable. It probably varies. No matter what though, I would call and make a case.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Aaaaalso, do any of you guys have apartment recommendations? I know it will be a while before I can actually get a place still, but I'd like to start looking around at different buildings.

Now that's a bigger different question. :P Also maybe post in the DC thread in the Your City Sucks forum, but it totally depends on where you want to live in relation to work, how much you want to pay, whether you prefer nightlife (and metro access) or not and whether you'll pay a premium for it, etc. I guess since you're BRAC'ing out, you might not want to live in hipper (and pricier) places like the District or Arlington anyway, but still.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Yeah, I definitely need to be within walking (or a short bus ride) distance of a metro, since I most likely won't be able to bring my car out for a loooong time. I'm not sure if trying to live by myself is a lost cause, but I don't really care if I'm in a tiny place, as long as it's not in a neighborhood where I'm going to get stabbed/robbed. Also, my boyfriend lives in Capitol Hill, so I'm trying not to live somewhere that would totally destroy our relationship.

I'll try posting in that other thread, too...

Well, as you know, this will require research and you'll change your mind a few times, so it's good to start looking now. Don't wanna hijack the thread and turn it into DC apartment chat, so I rambled on with some nonsense here.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

TCD posted:

Chances of a .gov shutdown?

I'm 99% sure I'll be exempted and work anyways but still, it's going to suck if it happens.

I don't have special awesome inside knowledge, but I think it's interesting that a hipster co-worker of mine who does claim to have tons of "friends on the Hill" (corny kickball and H St. hipsters) was saying late last year around Nov/Dec that he'd been hearing the plan was to pass the CR at the time, get another CR until March, then have a government shutdown in March.

I'm pretty sure we'd be exempt too, but I know some contractors are preparing for it to affect them more significantly.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

grover posted:

The last time the government shut down, in 1995, furloughed workers still ended up getting paid, didn't they?

They were reimbursed in the next Congress, so that's totally up to the discretion of Congress. I'm sure it's possible it'd happen again, but like TCD said, no guarantees. It's still a little early to be sure of what the next Congress will look like too. Can you imagine a bill to reimburse federal employees making it through Congress in this environment any time soon?

I wasn't there, of course, but people who were around in '95 and have told me about it led me to believe that a whole lot of national security personnel were exempt; more than just essential/watch personnel and such. The prisons, etc. are a given, but I also really can't imagine closing down intelligence analytic capability, including 9-to-5'ers, with all that's happening in the world.

I also have a hard time envisioning military personnel being included, but I don't want to talk out of my rear end. Maybe someone who was in the federal gov't or military in '95 can chime in.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 20, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I don't know how it works for contractors either, but it probably isn't a good time to be one. A friend was told by her company to prepare for contingencies if there's a shut down (look for a new job).

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Happydayz posted:

why would federal employees get reimbursed? I was told that during a furlough you are not to show up for work, even if you want to, due to liability issues to the USG.

It's not hypothetical; it happened. In 1996 Congress retroactively paid those who were furloughed during the 95-96 shutdown. I guess they got paid for staying home; don't know how that part worked out, just know they got retroactive pay (it's on google).

This time, however, a few people on the Hill have stated that Congress would not do that again. They could do it at some point in the future, of course, but it seems unlikely in the immediate political environment. As for contractors, they'll lay people off.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 21, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

psydude posted:

I have a morbid curiosity concerning how Tea Party Republicans from states employing contractors will deal with their pissed off constituency the moment they start axing federal contracts.

I can't think of any tea partiers in Congress that represent fed-heavy districts off the top of my head. A few of the DC area congressmen in heavy fed jurisdictions (like Gerry Connolly and both VA senators) are Democrats. There aren't that many Tea Party Republicans in Congress in the first place. It's funny when tea partiers and Republicans at work yammer on about that stuff while collecting a federal paycheck, though. After the pay freeze thing came out they were all furious and criticized Obama, even though it was a key part of the GOP's platform plan for America if they re-took the House. I don't know how they'll spin it if Darrell Issa's amendment to freeze promotions and step increases gets into a spending bill that actually passes.

edit: Issa's amendment was actually to freeze step increases; a different amendment would've frozen all salary increases of any type for federal employees, including those derived from promotions. However, Issa's amendment failed Saturday and the other one didn't come up to a vote. Of course, as we know, this bill is doomed anyway so it's moot apart from the solace granted by knowing the proposal has failed a vote once. I'm sure Issa isn't done playing deficit hero by attacking workers and ignoring corporate tax fraud, though.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 21, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

psydude posted:

One of my mom's coworkers is a hardcore teapartier. She told my mom that she hopes I don't get a job with the feds because she doesn't want to have to pay for my benefits with her tax dollars. Her husband is an employee with the State of Maryland, which has one of the highest income tax rates in the country, and her benefits come from him.

She must live in my dreams, where feds don't pay taxes.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

psydude posted:

Didn't even realize this. If my stipend stops, it looks like I'll be fasting.

The VA benefits being taken away could be a big deal. A lot of people obviously are going to school unemployed on the GI Bill (esp with the new GI Bill), not to mention disabled vets, etc.

WMATA is DC/MD/VA-funded, so I would think it wouldn't be affected, though it's worth noting that the Republican spending bill guts its funding in the DC portion of its budget (who needs to waste pocket change on commie pinko euro-rail anyway? there's a deficit to be saving!). It's inextricably linked with the Federal government because of various grants and its DC funding, but it's not a federal entity.

The Smithsonian museums would presumably close though.

Also, I would keep applying to jobs. If the shutdown happens, it'll be Mar 4. No one knows what the resolution would be but any shutdown probably won't be that long anyway, though knock on wood...

Zoo fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 22, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Skandiaavity posted:

How long is the suspected shutdown suppose to last? Just out of curiosity if anyone's heard any more rumors.

edit: vets should be fine. I crafted that policy very very carefully. :colbert:

edit2: so should contractors. There's gonna be blood, for sure, if there's more than a 14 day shutdown.

Well, the politicians (e.g. Sen. Murray) are saying veterans would have problems with their benefits, which does make sense actually, because the VA being closed would cause delays. I think that's pretty likely since they already have that problem at "full" capacity. As for contractors, they just do lay-offs. It happened in 1995 and would happen this time. If you're a contractor, then you already know whether or not you're safe based on dialogue with your company. Nobody at my workplace has anything to worry about, but if you do, then you know who you are.

I haven't heard any rumors about how long it'd last, 'cause I don't think anyone knows. It's however long they want to play chicken. A few hours or days, I guess (obviously a few hours would be less detrimental). An article the other day said it could be "more than just a few hours or days," verbatim, but I chalked it up to hyperbole. I'm betting that if it happens at all, which I'm starting to doubt, it's over quickly. I'm sure I don't know any better than anyone else, though, apart from the human scum at the top playing games for political gain.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

amethystbliss posted:

am I allowed to ring them and let them know they might be expected to complete a questionnaire or interview?

Feel free.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

CherryCola posted:

I haven't been placed. I mean, I know I'm working in DC...but I just don't know when I'm starting. I do have a mentor who I've been communicating with while waiting for my clearance, but he doesn't really seem to know much about my actual status...just someone who can tell me how great it is to work at NGA.

Yeah, the person not answering their phone is more in the hr/recruiting area, but it the person who can actually tell me what my status is.

But I know, I'm trying really hard not to stress. Definitely need to do something engaging this weekend...

Wait... You're working in DC, but I thought you said you needed to get to Franconia? That really would affect your apartment choices. Getting to West Navy Yard, if that's where you're actually going to be, is much easier if you can hop on 495 to 295-N (like in Alexandria).

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

If you had to list everyone, you'd have to list your foreign Warcraft buddies and explain that they were from Rivendell or what-ever nonsense. That would suck.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Kase Im Licht posted:

Law enforcement agencies are alot stricter about this kind of stuff than intel positions.

I actually do know more than a few people in intel/non-LE who have quit pirating mp3s largely for this reason. I don't know anyone who thinks they'd lose their clearance or get denied (that's still in the "that's silly" category, really), but it makes life easier to just not have to bother. That way they can say, "yes, I used to pirate mp3s, but now I use iTunes for everything" or whatever and it's fine. I can also buy that LE types would be a little bit more stringent on it.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

On the upside, it's looking increasingly like they'll reach at least a two-week compromise. Neither side seems to have managed to control the narrative sufficiently to pile blame on the other party for a shut down, so its political benefit has eroded too much to make it worth it for them IMO.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

psydude posted:

I dunno. I think it's entirely possible, given the spiteful nature of the current political atmosphere.

I still think it's possible, too, but look at this article on FederalNewsRadio. I don't know what would happen after the two weeks, but my money has switched from "don't bet on either side" to a slight, low-wager "don't bet on the shutdown on Mar 4." I don't know more than anyone else though, of course; the momentum for Friday as doomsday just seems to be diminishing.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Kaymaster posted:

Unfortunately, I run in Republican circles due to the nature of my job. They are publicly stating they do not want a shut-down because of the mess Gingrich caused for their party back in 95. However, behind closed doors even the non-tea party Republicans are gleefully clamoring for it.

Bottom line is that they are trying to set themselves up to deflect the blame once the shutdown happens. I really hope I eat my words.

Well, we all know they want a shutdown--if they can spin it in their favor. My contention is that this isn't working, so they're going to give it up. For every "I work on the Hill and it's X" guy I run into, there's another "I work on the Hill and it's Y" guy. I don't think anyone knows poo poo until March 4th, tbh.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Tortilla Maker posted:

I suppose the environment varies from agency and department but not a single person who I work with is at all concerned about a possible shutdown. No one is making contingency plans, not a single memo has trickled down from above, and the general consensus is that it's a lot of hot air from both sides.

Are my co-workers (and myself for that matter) really that naive? It seems as though most Feds here on SA are genuinely concerned.

It's purely anecdotal. At your office nobody cares. At my office, I know only one contractor who thinks it's just flippant nerds whining about nonsense nobody cares about (everyone thinks he's an idiot); he'd never even heard of the shutdown prospects and mostly talks about Final Fantasy and MMOs. A bunch more people are making plans. It's all just dependent. There are many things that are goony and not real-world, but I find plenty of shutdown anxiety in the real world at my workplace. Mostly people treat it like a party though, not a crisis, because few were around for 1995. That said, as mentioned above, my money continues to be on no shutdown... at least not on Mar 4. Maybe after. But don't know poo poo, etc.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Know a guy, know a guy who knows a guy, etc.

They'll still usually have you apply through USAJobs, albeit with intent to retrieve your resume when it certs. :P

Keep applying to USAJobs. There's nowhere better. Just keep at it. If you're looking at intelligence community jobs, apply also to cia.gov and nsa.gov (the other agencies post their jobs on USAJobs -- as well as their home pages).

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

It looks less likely with recent developments, but it was never merely hot air. Shutdowns happen.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

So now that it looks like we're on the cusp of getting a compromise (at least until 18 Mar), my organization finally sent out a notice today explaining contingencies and providing a FAQ regarding a shutdown.

derp

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Does this compromise involve the NGA sending out EODs?? That would be pretty sweet.

Haha, I hope it involves sending out a lot of job-related things. :P I'm waiting on a few potential calls myself...

(but no, it's just an extension of the CR; we still won't have an FY11 budget, sigh)

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I spent a few minutes confused about where this thread went. It looks like we're now "Business, Finance, and Careers." At first my butt hurt, but then I realized it does work better; this thread mostly refers to career advice and is not particularly an ask/tell session about federal jobs, it seems, so it makes far more sense now. :colbert:

Zoo fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 2, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I heard nothing but bad last year about the IC virtual fair. I didn't mention anything because I couldn't remember specifics, but you guys seem to have had a similar experience. I think the problem is that it's bad in an indescribably lovely way, by the sounds of it.

A friend in search of a -13/14 equivalent did mention that she learned in private message (I think?) with an NSA rep that they were looking to fill 3-4 junior positions; not sure exactly how junior, but at NSA that could be pretty low-grade.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

CherryCola posted:

I not surprised it took the NGA recruiters a while to get to people. They literally JUST moved their entire office yesterday and everything seems to be a bit chaotic. I'm really surprised they're doing ANOTHER hiring event when they currently already have a huge backlog of people (like me!) awaiting placement.

Someone at some point gave them money. The rule is that if you have money, you spend it. If you have $5M for Project X and someone offers you the deal at $3M for a "bargain," you don't accept the bargain; you tell them that you have $5M for the project, and that's how much you want to buy it for.

I don't know where all these NGA and DIA billets are coming from either though. DIA doesn't seem to be actually filling them, though maybe they're just waiting on the budget (which is now approaching mythical status).

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I think he meant things like illegal mp3s, etc. Sometimes (well, usually) there are also policies against software installation for unapproved applications, which is most of them, but that can be forgiven, especially for something like what you're talking about, which seems to be some kind of super math nerd NASA crap for nerds or space or something. I mean, that's a .gov site. Conducting piracy on a government computer, though? lol. That's one thing for which it isn't hyperbole to say that you'd be hosed. Same for porn, etc.

Which is why it's also common sense that you wouldn't do it... or so you'd think.

Also, he meant that on the polygraph they ask whether you've downloaded illegal mp3s from a government computer and you should pay attention to semantics in that case, although I don't personally remember my poly so I can't vouch either way. I wasn't even asked actually, now that I do think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I think we're looking at working on CRs for the entire rest of the fiscal year. :sigh: Bad timing for me.