Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

GregNorc posted:

I'm about to pick an internship for my PhD, which will probably be where I end up working post-grad school. If the pay really is that crappy, I don't see why I'd go for a goverment agency

I don't either, unless you have some personal national service interest. You just described right here a huge part of the problem in attracting qualified applicants (not to imply education automatically brings competence, but you get the idea), though the bad economy changes things sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

GregNorc posted:

Wow. I assumed there was some separate payscale someone would snarkily link me to.

That's like, really amazing. I mean, when a university professor would be rolling in dough compared to federal employee with the same education, that's not good at all.

For full disclosure, you can sometimes have a de facto automatic progression to -12 a year after promotion to -11 (I don't know how this works for all job series, just mine). But as you're in a sci/tech industry, that's still not going to entice you much IMO. Tyro explained this more generally, too.

edit: and yes, intel does tend to pay/start you higher, though it still uses the GS pay scale for salary and starting grades tend to vary depending on the organization. It's still going to be the -9/11/12 thing. People with less education than you can start at -7 in intel, even in DC sometimes. And usually you'll start at step 1, though particularly if you come in from contracting (as mentioned above), you might successfully negotiate a higher starting step.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 29, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

GregNorc posted:

Do contractors ever do research, or are those usually grunt programming/systems admin type roles?

If I could be doing some sort of information assurance role, while making a private sector salary, that would be pretty attractive. Something similar to the role an analyst at CERT provides would be really interesting to me.

Yeah, as psydude said, contractors are everywhere (including at CERT, assuming you mean US-CERT).

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

GregNorc posted:

US-CERT = DHS, I was more referring to CERT/CC which is a federaly funded research development center. They're funded by the SEI over at CMU.

Sorry, I'm so used to my part of government bureaucracy at this point that I just naturally align to the acronyms associated with organizations I work most with (one of which is DHS). But yeah, I'm sure the answer is the same, though I can speak authoritatively only about US-CERT. I tend to hear good things about FFRDCs.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I don't see them on DIA's "recruiting events" page, but I see that the DIA posted a bunch of Hiring Events in my email auto-digest. They're all listed for GG-07, but that might mean GG-07+. To be honest I didn't look them up since they don't really apply to me, but might want to check http://diajobs.dia.mil/ and see what's there.

edit: none of these seems to be for intel--they're for HR, comms, admin, info systems (that's series 2210, which some of you might be interested in), etc.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 26, 2011