Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

US Patent Office here, I'm an examiner. You can add me to the OP if anyone wants to ask about it.

The USPTO isn't hiring new examiners right now due to budget issues, but next fiscal year (starts October) the hiring is supposed to restart at 1,200 examiners for FY2011. I'm not sure though as the plans seem to be in constant flux. They were supposed to hire more this year, but then congress diverted our fee income to something else :sigh:

Still, federal employment rocks hard. Hopefully it will rock even harder for more agencies once the teleworking bills get sorted out and signed into law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Question on suggestions out there to focus on "accomplishments" vs "duties" for outlining your work history.

My wife is applying for a VA medical position and were a bit confused about how that advice applies to that sort of work. "Didn't get anyone killed through bad medical care" doesn't exactly help tick off the KSAs, you don't track things that you can put into numbers like "obtained 20% reduction in toe amputations", and any specific amazing patient outcomes would present HIPAA issues.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rakeris posted:

As long as you are not giving identifiable health information it's not a HIPAA issue.

What I meant was that in order to properly explain why a particular thing is an accomplishment you have to know the entire medical record of the patient, otherwise it just falls back onto the the realm of business as usual.

I suppose a way around it would be to include examples as to which particular comorbidities and complicating factors she has run into and successfully accounted for during treatment.