Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Might want to add to the OP something about exiting from access to classified information.

Secret clearances expire 10 years after adjudication. TS clearances expire after 5 years. This means that if you quit a job that required access for you, you have x years from that day before you can get signed back up for a job requiring the same access level within like... hours. After that day is over, you will be considered the same as anyone else on the street and it becomes up to anyone that might be sponsoring you for access to determine if you're likely to pass again or not. It will not matter if you had one of the highest levels of clearances or compartments possible before. The same sort of thing applies if you happen to marry someone that's not a US citizen - your access will be immediately revoked and in some cases that could mean you lose your job (marrying is a voluntary act and can imply resignation as a result). Clearances are very, very serious business... yet in practice very much meaningless as hell (there's a lot of hosed up people with clearances I've met, let's leave it there).

There are different investigations done by different organizations for the same level of DoD (DoE and state are on separate systems but have equivalencies that could require some extra time or investigation) access, and they typically don't like to share their info with each other (probably due to privacy and/or security reasons more than just politics as usual). FBI, CIA, NSA, DIA, etc. have internal investigations last I saw and then there's OPM which covers the rest (typically military). Then there's an external system that is specifically for contractors (the majority in the end). Access can be granted across these systems, but information in the actual investigation is not transferable. This means if you go govie to contractor later, your re-investigation will likely take a significant period of time (I know someone that's up to 1.2 years because of the backlog for reinvestigations which didn't seem to get reformed with the new investigations). Same goes for contractor to govie (rarely hear of that, might happen if someone loses their job for performance reasons).

I'm not a security officer or anything, but I used to have a high level access that I lost because I was out of access for too long. Only wanted it back because I wanted to move somewhere where the wife and I both had decent career prospects and it's difficult to find IT jobs at my level that don't require clearances in the DC/VA/MD area. Wound up finding out everything through dozens of calls over months and with lots of potential employers and getting lost in their lovely systems.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Here's a related question. How often will private contractors front the funds for security clearances for employees? I imagine not often, if ever.
If a contractor has a good relationship with the federal government, there is now no cost to them. However, many contractors (being private) are very, very sensitive to your availability and adjudication timeline and will count it against you very much. Why? Because they could hire someone that's got the clearance already that doesn't know much and train the person up instead of hiring you and waiting and hoping that you might get access by that time.

It's a high-risk move typically to take someone without a clearance for any job with a reasonable level of responsibility as a result. This is part of why I say the lower your pay, the greater the likelihood of you getting the clearance, hence it's best to try to do an internship and decide later if you want to keep it once graduation comes around and you're deciding between employers.

Believe me, that clearance is probably more valuable than your skills. I have skills that are in "desperate" demand according to about 15 recruiters I talked to... and NONE of the jobs I applied for in the DC/VA/MD area (about 300+) came through - mostly because of my expired clearance. 90% of recruiters would be really interested calling me up within hours after submitting a resume, then once I mentioned my clearance status, I'd never hear from them again. The salary ranges would have been anywhere between $90k - $140k, so there was plenty of incentive for the recruiters to get my rear end in, too. It didn't matter that I had several compartments fullscope counter-intel polys and everything before - once you're out... you're out.

Relocation was another issue for employers as well and after they heard about my weird situation with my underwater property in a different state, they tended to give up on me as well.

Almost all the jobs I've applied for are still open, and I could have had my clearance back by like 6 months ago, so perhaps we'll start to see some leniency in clearance processes later on.

ilikechapstick posted:

At the end of the week, I would get about 10 calls requesting help (read:doing their job for them) on performing a simple task such as updating the website through a WYSIWYG editor. Literally, adding text to a website.
The sort of thing happens in almost all large organizations - the difference is that the private sector can do some lay-offs, government typically can't without incredible, herculean efforts that wind up costing more to fire than to keep forever... unless the employee commits some seriously bad things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Would 2 masters degrees and 3-4 years of experience disqualify you from a series 1421 GS-7 job? I know in some special circumstances it's impossible to get the funding for someone that's supposed to have a minimum GS-9 job so you can't hire someone that's actually more qualified. Otherwise, I just get the impression that there's a lot of extremely qualified people with even PhDs and lots of experience grappling for the scraps in series 1421, implying that the wife should just give up on the career she's spent a bunch of money and what amounts to 6 years for :(

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Zero VGS posted:

I'm a veteran, held a TS clearance 4 years back (I'm sure I could get it back)
I found out the hard way that if you let a TS clearance expire (that'd be 6 years after the clearance was first granted) you have to have it all run through the system again from scratch basically. For contractors, this means an extra $30k+ in costs to them unless they're a really large contractor that gets their clearances subsidized now by the feds. The exceptions are if you went through government or as a contractor to get your clearance. The clearance I had was through government and unless I was going to go back into government, I'd have to start all over again with an entirely new SF-86 with no information shared between the FBI and the contractor's system. Because I'd get a pretty severe paycut (about 40% given the GS grade jobs I'd be eligible for) to go back into government service, I'd only do it as a matter of desperation. And if you're applying to a contractor, they'd rather take someone that has little experience with a clearance and train him up than to wait for you to get a TS clearance back in possibly more than a year.