Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

New-ish federal employee here. Apologies if this has been asked before, but where does everyone go to get the lowdown on what TSP funds to invest in and how much of your paycheck you should stash away? "Facebook groups" was the answer I was given by the local TSP guru when I was onboarded, but I prefer to stay as far away from Facebook as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. I downloaded the Daily TSP app on my phone and it seems like a neat way to keep track of things even if I have hardly any funds to play around with (yet).

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Thanks, I know gently caress all about finance and that makes a lot more sense than the "INVEST IN C AND F FUNDS" notes I had apparently scribbled in the margins of the new employee benefits handbook. I seem to remember the gentleman doing our TSP brief saying that for the longest time he had his money invested mainly in the G fund (apparently the common consensus back in the day was that this was the best/safest choice?) but said that he regretted it because C and F would have yielded him better returns. He had been a federal employee since forever and showed us his TSP balance, the guy had well over a million bucks in there.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Star Man posted:

I started working for the US Postal Service in the first month of the pandemic.

That's it, that's the story.

I started working for them a few months into the pandemic, but I'm still with the USPS so joke's on me I guess.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

When I started they had so many people call out sick in the facility I'm at that they couldn't spare anyone to train new employees, so it was pretty much "good luck lol" and straight into the deep end. Don't miss that part, but I do miss the paychecks because they were handing out overtime like candy that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Congratulations to Evil SpongeBob, sounds like a well deserved retirement. I recently had to dial back my TSP contribution by a few percentage points because my landlord jacked up the rent again, not happy about that.

Star Man posted:

It was a long afternoon. God please gently caress I want off these phones

I spent most of the 2010's selling cars and that killed off any desire I had to ever get a job again that involves interacting with customers. Hell is other people.