Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Be prepared for a very long wait time, I applied for a Federal job in February, interviewed in June, and am still in the system, with the HR people telling me it will take at least another three months for the background check and medical to clear (after an hour and a half hold time before someone answered at their helpdesk.) I know it will be worth it at the end, but don't expect it to be like the private sector where you get a decision fairly quickly. I hear that for some agencies, the processing time between your initial contact and hiring can be as much as 18 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
You have to have a skillset they really, really want. It costs a ton of money to get, especially for a TS clearance, and it can take a long time. If a company offers you a job with the opportunity to get clearance, loving take it, regardless of any other factor. I know that in IT, if you have a TS clearance you can pretty much get a job anywhere, instantly, and get paid a huge amount for it. I can't think of a single piece of paper that will improve your job prospects more. Seriously, if I was still in IT, I would work for free if the company sponsored me for a TS clearance, it's that valuable.

Of course, the company paying for your clearance knows that, so they have to be very confident that you will stay for the long haul, as they know that they will have to pay you much more and they will have very little negotiating leverage after you get your clearance. Oh, and they also run the risk of eating the cost if the government doesn't clear you, and they have to employ you on non-classified projects until you are cleared.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Okay, I need some help. I needed to get a medical evaluation for a Federal job, and got a letter in the mail. It turns out that I need to get, at my own expense, a physician to examine me and sign off on forms for 3 separate conditions that don't impact my ability do perform the job at all. They are:

1.Mild Hypertension

2.A minor psychological disorder I was diagnosed with as a kid. I do not need medication for this and I have managed it fine without treatment or therapy for more than 10 years.

3.Migraine headaches that I can control with OTC pain reliever.

Again, none of these things affect my ability to fulfill the functions of the position, and the fact I will have to pay a significant cost (I don't currently have health insurance) to get a physician to formally diagnose me with these conditions, write up a 'treatment plan', and fill out all the forms strikes me as wrong. Also, the Paperwork Reduction Act statements on the forms state that the reporting burden is only 5 minutes per form, when each of the 3 issues will probably take at least 30 minutes of physician time to fill out, with the mental health one taking close to an hour, not to mention the time scheduling the appointments and sitting in waiting rooms.

Is there anyone I can/should complain to over this? I'm thinking of writing the Ombudsman of my agency, but I'm wondering what other steps I should take.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Could someone with experience in Federal hiring practices take a look at the Ask about Air Traffic Control thread? There was a major posting a few weeks back for trainee controllers, and rumor has it 90% of the applicants failed a 20 question multiple choice "biographical assessment", or that there has been some error in how the results were tabulated. Basically nobody knows anything and people are repeating things heard posted on other forums that somebody may have heard someone else talk about.