Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
Small clearance related question:

I was just offered a job for a defence contractor, that would require Secret clearance. I looked over the application form and I won't have a problem with any of it, but I did use pot like 4-5 times back in college (over 3 years ago).

My hiring contact basically said the check is "Credit check, felony check, you're clear", but is there any chance that'll jeopardize the investigation?

I've talked with FBI folks who have said 'yeah, we know kids do pot in college, that's fine', but my hiring contact basically told me everything short of "just lie and don't put anything". That seems unwise if I ever want TS and the polygraph required there.

I'm just hesitant to jump ship from an existing job to this one if there's even a chance the I won't get clearance (and would be subsequently fired).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

Thanks for the advice, I was hesitant to take them at their word - their interests and my interests don't quite overlap.

I've found a few posts of people saying that they got rejected for Interim but granted Secret eventually with such goings-on, and I'll just take that risk. Way better than having this looming over me for years.

Edit: Useful resource I found earlier, which makes me think I'm in the clear anyway. http://www.clearancejobs.com/cleared-news/79/drug-involvement-and-security-clearances

Discusses the adjudication guidelines, and what levels of use were acceptable when for considering clearances.

The Adjudicative Desk Reference is here too, since apparently it's declassified, and I looked at it earlier, but I get a forbidden error now :tinfoil: http://www.dhra.mil/perserec/adr/index.htm

Edit 2: Actual judgements from the DOD, with explanations! http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/2008.html This is the best resource I've found yet for getting a feel for what's okay / not okay.

Junji Eat More fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 22, 2010

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

I've just been made an offer, and I'm trying to figure out how to gracefully make a counteroffer.

I've never had an experience quite like this, it feels like we've skipped past "negotiate the position" straight to "you're in". I got a call from HR that I'd been made a conditional offer pending background checks, and I'd be mailed all my paperwork for inprocessing. I actually had to ask what salary I was being offered, and was told the paperwork had a "Recommended salary" field and what it was. This is the literal first time compensation's come up in my many many interview with the organization, and I'm hesitant that number may not even be binding to them somehow.

Do I need to call up the manager I've been interviewing with now, or do I do all this paperwork first? Is there generally some extra step after this I'm just not aware of? Do people generally even haggle when applying for government positions? I don't want to end up accidentally hired at a rate I'm not quite happy with.

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

I know the pay grade I'm coming in on, but web sites I was looking at talked about being able to discuss the step in that pay grade you start at. Their quote also definitely wasn't the bottom step, so it feels like they have some room to adjust as they see fit.

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

Nope, just got the application packet in the mail, step 6. USAJobs conveniently lists the locale-adjusted range for each position, so it's easy to eyeball the step.

I can't believe they'd only hire people in at step 1, as while a Master's degree may be required for this tier (IS-2210-9), the salary would in no way be competitive at the bottom step. It's a 14k range from top to bottom of the pay grade.

I decided to just accept it anyway, mainly because my current defense contracting job is getting its contract funding cut due to our proven ineptitude, and everyone in my building just got our two weeks' notice. Out of the frying pan, into the fire. Thanks for the help, though!

Junji Eat More fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

Quarex posted:

Everyone college-age: start keeping track of all your stupid subleases and time living with your parents!

Amazon was invaluable for this - I just spent an hour digging through my order history and past shipping addresses to construct my entire residence history.

I was surprised to find out the OPM background questionnaire is the exact same one I had to take to as a defense contractor - it even kept all my info from when I filled it out 4 years ago. Also amusing was how much they've relaxed the drug usage questions in the interim.