Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

I was wondering about the green stickers on the backs of QBs helmets and found that it was because they have a radio in the helmet and one person on offense and one on defense is allowed to have a helmet radio. What is the penalty if two people on offense or defense are wearing radio helmets?

That would probably be handled by the commissioner, who could levy fines, suspensions, draft picks, or whatever else seemed appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah that's not a flag on the field type penalty, that's a Spygate or Deflategate kind of scandal.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That system is run by league officials, not the teams. The back up helmets are kept under lock and key, and use is monitored. It's not really something you can exploit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Volkerball posted:

That system is run by league officials, not the teams. The back up helmets are kept under lock and key, and use is monitored. It's not really something you can exploit.

Bluetooth is getting smaller and smaller.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah you would probably just go to earpieces if you were looking to cheat. Doesn’t seem like it would be worth much even if you could avoid getting caught, not sure the benefits would outpace the logistical pain. Stuff like that would even have to be hidden from most players or you’re in trouble come free agency etc.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Although there's probably a half-dozen teams that would attempt to put radios in all helmets to gain an advantage but also put green stickers on 'em.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The wild-but-plausible-to-me cheating rumor that used to go around was that the radios sometimes mysteriously stopped working in away games before critical plays. Maybe they're just crappy systems or were back then, though, I don't know.

Aside-on-aside here but a couple years ago Microsoft was really pushing their surface tablets on NFL sidelines, paying for commentators to say spots during games, etc. I wish I could remember the specific game but basically both teams' tablets (or their wireless network or something else) had failed and the commentators were awkwardly going through the motions of selling their amazing capabilities over shots of frustrated assistant coaches frantically ditching them for paper.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

pangstrom posted:

The wild-but-plausible-to-me cheating rumor that used to go around was that the radios sometimes mysteriously stopped working in away games before critical plays. Maybe they're just crappy systems or were back then, though, I don't know.

Aside-on-aside here but a couple years ago Microsoft was really pushing their surface tablets on NFL sidelines, paying for commentators to say spots during games, etc. I wish I could remember the specific game but basically both teams' tablets (or their wireless network or something else) had failed and the commentators were awkwardly going through the motions of selling their amazing capabilities over shots of frustrated assistant coaches frantically ditching them for paper.

Also, the announcers would constantly call them iPads.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Lol. Was futilely googling to try to find the surface debacle game I had seen (it wasn't Patriots/Broncos), and evidently Jay Cutler called them "knockoff iPads" in some interview. $400 million for this kind of exposure seems a little steep.

(lots of current coworkers love their surface pros, for what that's worth)

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.
Patriots stopped using them last season.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/18/13320664/bill-belichick-patriots-microsoft-surface-tablet-nfl

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 27, 2017

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

QB throws a 5 yard pass. Receiver gets 5 YAC then fumbles on the tackle which is recovered by the defense and returned for a 20 yard TD.

Does the QB still get 10 yards passing and does the receiver get a 10 yard reception with 5 YAC? Does the fumble and return change anything for the offensive stat sheets?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SkunkDuster posted:

QB throws a 5 yard pass. Receiver gets 5 YAC then fumbles on the tackle which is recovered by the defense and returned for a 20 yard TD.

Does the QB still get 10 yards passing and does the receiver get a 10 yard reception with 5 YAC? Does the fumble and return change anything for the offensive stat sheets?

Yeah, that's a 10-yard pass and 10-yard reception. Turnovers have no effect on the offense's stats, so the defender just gets credit for a 20-yard fumble recovery.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Benne posted:

Yeah, that's a 10-yard pass and 10-yard reception. Turnovers have no effect on the offense's stats, so the defender just gets credit for a 20-yard fumble recovery.

With a caveat: If a receiver fumbles it then it gets recovered by the offense behind where they ran to... they lose that yardage on the reception.

for example the play here becomes a -22 yard reception because the QB tries a shovel pass while falling down that the receiver then fumbles... very far backwards. (1 hour 33 minutes in if the timecode doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsTNMSbZtDU&t=5580s

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kalli posted:

With a caveat: If a receiver fumbles it then it gets recovered by the offense behind where they ran to... they lose that yardage on the reception.

for example the play here becomes a -22 yard reception because the QB tries a shovel pass while falling down that the receiver then fumbles... very far backwards. (1 hour 33 minutes in if the timecode doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsTNMSbZtDU&t=5580s

You're also right, but when the offense recovers a fumble it doesn't count as a turnover, since they technically never lost possession. So hence, the offense gets credited with lost yardage on that play.

There's also situations where the QB throws an interception, the defender fumbles, and the offense gets the ball back, but at that point we're getting into Football Follies territory where it's gonna look weird on the box score no matter what.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The play summary for the time James Jones fumbled twice is probably pretty funny.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Benne posted:

There's also situations where the QB throws an interception, the defender fumbles, and the offense gets the ball back, but at that point we're getting into Football Follies territory where it's gonna look weird on the box score no matter what.

2nd and 6 at ALA 16 - Robert Bolden pass complete to Chaz Powell, fumbled, forced by Robert Lester, recovered by Alab Robert Lester at the Alab 9, Robert Lester for 89 yards, fumbled, recovered by PnSt at the PnSt 2, to the PnSt 2, tackled by Robert Lester.

The ESPN stat line fails to mention that Chaz Powell is the PSU player that picked up the fumble on the 2. But, Alabama fumbled somewhere around the 15 and another Alabama player fumbled the recovery. The drive started on the PSU 23, got to the Alabama 9, restarts at the PSU 2, ends in a punt at the PSU 14 in six minutes time. Its one of the strangest sequences I've ever seen in a football game.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Kind of a silly question, but say LB sacks QB and causes a fumble. QB recovers the fumble and gets back up to throw and the same LB tackles him again behind the line. Does the LB get credit for two sacks in one play?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
No he'd get credit for a forced fumble and a tackle

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SkunkDuster posted:

Kind of a silly question, but say LB sacks QB and causes a fumble. QB recovers the fumble and gets back up to throw and the same LB tackles him again behind the line. Does the LB get credit for two sacks in one play?

iirc, a sack is a tackle. So if the QB fumbled before being down by the LB, it's not a sack. Although, if the fumble is recovered by the defense, the LB is awarded a sack.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

iirc, a sack is a tackle. So if the QB fumbled before being down by the LB, it's not a sack. Although, if the fumble is recovered by the defense, the LB is awarded a sack.

Pretty sure it would still be a sack if it was recovered by the offense. But I don't know if you can throw a recovered fumble.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pretty sure it would still be a sack if it was recovered by the offense. But I don't know if you can throw a recovered fumble.
Wisconsin scored a go-ahead touchdown reception on what could be considered a fumble:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV2xZZLppbM
Wisconsin would then lose because it was the '80s.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
How does compensation work during the playoffs? Does every player get a certain amount per game depending on what round they lose in?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah. it's like $25k per player in the wildcard round, a tiny bit more then that in the divisional, about $50k in the championship round, then a little above that for the SB loser, and double that for the winner.

Players aren't paid for the bye week if they have one.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Wow, that's not much (by NFL player standards, I mean).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Depends on the player. Like yeah Stafford would wipe his rear end with a couple hundred grand (bear with me here as we imagine the Lions making a deep playoff run lmao). But for rando special teamers or the fullback or something reaching the Super Bowl amounts to like a 50% bonus.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

When talking about pass rushing DE's and OLB's, why is their designation EDGE written in all-caps? Is it an acronym of something, or simply that all the other positions are written in caps as well (due to being acronyms)?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

OperaMouse posted:

When talking about pass rushing DE's and OLB's, why is their designation EDGE written in all-caps? Is it an acronym of something, or simply that all the other positions are written in caps as well (due to being acronyms)?

I don't believe there is any acronym involved, and if you read articles about them they're often just referred to as edge rushers or Edge rushers. The term is generally used in pre-draft evaluations or maybe in free agency, once those players are on a team they'd usually be referred to as either a DE or OLB depending on how that team uses them.

I think EDGE might be styled that way in some places because all other positions are all caps. QB, RB, WR, etc. I suppose we should be grateful they haven't just shortened a fake position name to ED or something to make things even more confusing.

e: I suppose this might also come up when comparing pass rushers league-wide. I'd imagine it might come up if you play a version of fantasy football where you draft individuals on defense but I don't really know.

I did see that some places do shorten EDGE to EDR, so I guess there is a shortened version out there.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 2, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

OperaMouse posted:

I'm pretty sure that designation came about exactly because using the different nomenclatures for different defensive schemes makes it confusing. EDGE makes it clear what position they play, regardless of whether their team ran a 4-3 or a 3-4. Obviously there are differences between playing DE and OLB, but they're also similar enough that a general term for both makes sense. Then they capitalized it for the reasons above.

This is kind of a guess though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, there are pass rush guys who line up as DEs if you're playing a 4-3 and OLBs if you're playing a 3-4. I'm actually glad people are starting to call them EDGE (or anything, really) because it is annoying to say something like "3-4 LB or 4-3 DE" about the DeMarcus Ware type of players.

• Locked thread