Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

Welker had given up on the play, the pass had been batted down already. And Clark's an awful player because he thinks he's doing something good & right instead of stupid & needlessly dangerous

There are numerous video of Ryan Clark doing this on youtube and every single one of them is a personal foul :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Attention 1st downies: Delicious rules, piping hot are now being served.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Just watched the recording of the ArenaBowl XXIII, awesome.

Two minor questions:
  • Some helmets had built-in visors. What purpose do they serve?
  • I saw the jersey number zero on a player, does this number have a special meaning?

TheSkipster
Jul 1, 2004

kyuss posted:

Just watched the recording of the ArenaBowl XXIII, awesome.

Two minor questions:
  • Some helmets had built-in visors. What purpose do they serve?
  • I saw the jersey number zero on a player, does this number have a special meaning?

First answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0garYRQ_0

Second answer
#0 can't be used in the NFL or NCAA which is why it seems special.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TheSkipster posted:

First answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0garYRQ_0

You forgot "looking like a badass."

Can't wear mirrored ones any more though. Just clear and (I think still) black.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Sash! posted:

You forgot "looking like a badass."

Can't wear mirrored ones any more though. Just clear and (I think still) black.

I'm pretty sure black requires a medical waiver of some sort to use.

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009
What game is the 'he missed' gif of Manning, Dungy and some others from?

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

The Illusive Man posted:

I'm pretty sure black requires a medical waiver of some sort to use.

I always thought it was kind of cheap. D-backs and linebackers will watch the eyes of QBs and receivers to predict where the ball is going. Bright sunlight should be equally annoying as well.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

NFL players can wear whatever colour visor they like; college and high school players are absolutely restricted to clear visors only for safety reasons (so medical personnel can see a player's eyes after a possible serious injury without having to fiddle with the helmet and potentially damage the neck and spine). If they have a good medical reason they can wear tinted goggles, which can be cut off the head if necessary without moving the player.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Chifley posted:

What game is the 'he missed' gif of Manning, Dungy and some others from?

2005 Colts-Steelers AFC Divisonal Game

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Trin Tragula posted:

NFL players can wear whatever colour visor they like

Are you sure about this? I think they changed it in recent years to require a medical waiver to wear a dark visor.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Not really, but the NFL uniform rules literally go on for over 10 pages and visors are somewhere next to the rule that says how much white your socks hose has to display.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Trin Tragula posted:

Not really, but the NFL uniform rules literally go on for over 10 pages and visors are somewhere next to the rule that says how much white your socks hose has to display.

The rule change summary sites I know of have them being banned outside of medical reasons from '98 on.

Two examples:
http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/index.nsf/Documents/0-rules
http://www.steelersfever.com/nfl_history_of_rules.html

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Wikipedia says they banned tinted facemasks except for medical need in the 1998 season. I tried looking for a better source, but suprise, NFL.com doesn't seem to have a listing of rule changes by year.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I also assume people were grandfathered in, because I know people like Vick and LT used dark visors well after 98, and I don't think either of them have any medical issues requiring it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Dominion posted:

I also assume people were grandfathered in, because I know people like Vick and LT used dark visors well after 98, and I don't think either of them have any medical issues requiring it.
Tomlinson has light-sensitivity issues that lead to migraines. Not sure about Vick though.

Flooger
Dec 26, 2004

Dominion posted:

I'm pretty sure Vick always used a clear visor. It just looks dark because of the reflection.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

Dramatika posted:

Wikipedia says they banned tinted facemasks except for medical need in the 1998 season. I tried looking for a better source, but suprise, NFL.com doesn't seem to have a listing of rule changes by year.

Yeah it was 1998 when they were banned and it's across the board, from pee-wee to college, then the pros. The last time I recall someone wearing a visor for any reason other than medical was Ronnie Brown a few years back. He rocked the Fire Visor because it made him stand out, and then got fined for it.

Helmet visors are badass. I understand why they banned them, but I still don't like it.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

nnnAdam posted:

Helmet visors are badass. I understand why they banned them, but I still don't like it.
That is not badass. That's like when you were in elementary school and you wanted to get the lazer background on your school picture, but your mom made you get the standard blue because she was not an idiot.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

tk posted:

That is not badass. That's like when you were in elementary school and you wanted to get the lazer background on your school picture, but your mom made you get the standard blue because she was not an idiot.

You gonna tell me this kid isn't badass? HE HAS A MESH SHIRT AND LAZERS BEHIND HIM HELLO :colbert:

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

tk posted:

Maybe it's just me then, but I think it goes well with the uniform well so maybe that is why I like it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Fact: Whenever there are shots of sunburst visors the person wearing them is always doing something badass.

Observation: Sunburst visors turn people into badasses.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Fact: Whenever there are shots of sunburst visors the person wearing them is always doing something badass.

Observation: Sunburst visors turn people into badasses.

Black visors make you look like a ruthless, emotionless killing machine.

terrin
May 10, 2005

nnnAdam posted:

Maybe it's just me then, but I think it goes well with the uniform well so maybe that is why I like it.

I too think it looks badass. But then again I photoshop lasers into all my pictures to this day

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

nnnAdam posted:

Why was it? Players complaining about glare or something?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Trin Tragula posted:

college and high school players are absolutely restricted to clear visors only for safety reasons (so medical personnel can see a player's eyes after a possible serious injury without having to fiddle with the helmet and potentially damage the neck and spine). If they have a good medical reason they can wear tinted goggles, which can be cut off the head if necessary without moving the player.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Wow, that sparked quite a discussion :) How common are eye injuries in football anyways?

I've alredy seen helmets coming off on several occasions: are they designed that way? And do the rules demand an instant halt of the current play in such a case?

Flooger
Dec 26, 2004

kyuss posted:

I've alredy seen helmets coming off on several occasions: are they designed that way? And do the rules demand an instant halt of the current play in such a case?

They are certainly not designed to come off. I'm pretty sure they only stop play if the ball carriers helmet comes off, and I think that rule was just introduced this year.

Edit: http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2010/8/10/1615408/2010-nfl-rule-changes-when-a

No more badass plays like Witten in this video.

Flooger fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 25, 2010

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

kyuss posted:

Wow, that sparked quite a discussion :) How common are eye injuries in football anyways?

It depends entirely on how many times a year you match-up against Vince Wilfork.

ThatOtherGuy
Jul 15, 2006

"Size matters not. Look at my quarterback. Judge him by his size, do you? Hmm?"
In high school one of my coaches would actually encourage us to poke at eyes and punch and kick under piles.

So yeah if I were a guy who carried the ball a lot I'd want something protecting my face.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ThatOtherGuy posted:

In high school one of my coaches would actually encourage us to poke at eyes and punch and kick under piles.

So yeah if I were a guy who carried the ball a lot I'd want something protecting my face.

I also read that the last thing anyone goes after in the fumble pile is something that is not your testicle, yet no one wears gear down there either.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Sash! posted:

I also read that the last thing anyone goes after in the fumble pile is something that is not your testicle, yet no one wears gear down there either.

Maybe it was just me, but I always wore a cup when playing football. I know the pros don't, but they're insane. I prefer my balls covered, but my main sport was hockey and if you don't wear a cup in hockey you'll probably be sterile after two or three games. Especially as a goalie. I never really noticed much inhibition of motion to tell the truth.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I know the pros don't, but they're insane.

Is that like not wearing sleeves when it's cold out?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Maybe it was just me, but I always wore a cup when playing football. I know the pros don't, but they're insane. I prefer my balls covered, but my main sport was hockey and if you don't wear a cup in hockey you'll probably be sterile after two or three games. Especially as a goalie. I never really noticed much inhibition of motion to tell the truth.

It was literally impossible for me to move in a cup. Especially after your thighs get bigger. Even worse the cup would sit a half inch or so off my skin which meant its plastic edges came crashing down when I got hit. It took one practice for me to never wear a cup again.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Bashez posted:

It was literally impossible for me to move in a cup. Especially after your thighs get bigger. Even worse the cup would sit a half inch or so off my skin which meant its plastic edges came crashing down when I got hit. It took one practice for me to never wear a cup again.

I had no problem wearing a cup during football. I probably could have gotten away without it since I played o-line, but since it didn't affect anything I just wore it. I didn't wear it during wrestling though, but I know guys on our team did which I always thought was weird.

That is more of an o-line manly camaraderie thing. I know other positions do it too, but on most teams the o-line wears the same thing to games, and on every team I played on all it took was one vote against sleeves to not wear them so I never did during a game or practice.

ThatOtherGuy
Jul 15, 2006

"Size matters not. Look at my quarterback. Judge him by his size, do you? Hmm?"

Sash! posted:

I was never hit there under a pile, but I did have a few jerkoffs take some swats at my junk during plays. I played offensive and defensive line so there was always body parts and fists flailing everywhere. I know a few times it was on purpose though.

It was okay though cause one of those times I blindsided the fucker a few plays later.

anyway, back to the topic:

I never wore a cup and other than a few surprisingly painless incidents I never had a problem. Then again, I never had an entire defense try to tackle me, so...

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

But if i were a cup, that'll add .01 seconds onto my 40 time :qq:

It's nothing like that btw. "Not wearing sleeves" is to prove your manliness or something.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

ThatOtherGuy posted:

I was never hit there under a pile, but I did have a few jerkoffs take some swats at my junk during plays. I played offensive and defensive line so there was always body parts and fists flailing everywhere. I know a few times it was on purpose though.

It was okay though cause one of those times I blindsided the fucker a few plays later.
At least in football they cheat like normal people. In wrestling, we were always wary of teams who were known for "oil checking" :gonk:

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Doppelganger posted:

At least in football they cheat like normal people. In wrestling, we were always wary of teams who were known for "oil checking" :gonk:

This took a second to sink in. Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

This took a second to sink in. Jesus Christ.

Still better then a 5 on 2. That poo poo was just dirty.

• Locked thread