Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Miloshe posted:

What happens to the tee during kickoffs? Does a ref snatch it up immediately after the kick or does it sit on the field during the return? If the latter, has anyone ever tripped on it or other weird poo poo?

Boise State has a tee dog and he is awesome and every team should have a tee dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Only a handful of players get a 5* rating, and its not like the top 5 or 10 whatever. They don't give out a set number of 5*s every year, so some you may only have 3 and some years you will have like 10 or more. Even being a 3* is a huge deal, in fact being known enough to even have a star ranking means at some time scouts thought you were worth following. College rosters are huge, and there are a lot of programs, many of whom fighting over the top recruits so they have to fill the roster.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Picking the Pats now isn't that bad considering Tom Brady is a washed up fraud and Belichick is your mom's library copy of 50 Shades of Grey considering how checked out he is.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Sash! posted:

What is the logic behind counting a sack as lost passing yards in the NFL? It presupposes that the tackle behind the line defeated a pass in the first place, when there's not really any way to tell if the QB was actually running a pass play.

Because designed QB runs that are stopped behind the LOS are so rare that its statistically irrelevant.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

With the rookie wage scale, is it tied to draft round, or overall number drafted? Like is pick 32 this year going to get paid similarly to pick 32 last year? The Pats not having a 1st round pick this year alters the math a little and I am just curious if it's going to result in some guy getting shafted out a million bucks or not.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Iron_Chef posted:

IANAREoA (I am not a rules expert or American) but I thought a play ended as soon as any helmet came off

Nope. In college it is a penalty to keep playing if your helmet is removed. Also, if your helmet comes off you have to sit out at least one play, unless a penalty is called (like if a guy gets facemasked).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Also one of my all time favorite plays was Earl Everett's helmetless sack of Troy Smith in the 2006 NCG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Rc49B1FwU

I have that entire game burned in my mind and its my "happy place".

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Just listen to Lebatard who describes the draft as "hope trafficking" and reserve any judgements for 3 years when you actually know what you have.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kalli posted:

Historically it's been LT, though over the last, say, decade, the other positions have gained some relative standing in comparison.

Also historically Center was where the worst lineman physically could be. However, in most systems, the center is responsible for calling out blocking assignments, so tended to need to be the most studious of the game.

So the answer is: it's still left tackle, simply because the required physical skillset is just so rare in comparison.

I will amend that to say its whatever the opposite hand the QB uses to throw the ball. Right handed QB, LT more important. Left handed QB, RT more important.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Jimmy Kimmel was on once and is never allowed back.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

hello grreting i am from great nation of turkmenistan new to the sport of american football and my question is: i have been under the impression that if your knee is down and the ball comes out then it's not a fumble, however, i watched today's contest involving the bengals of cincinnati and it aopears this is no longer the case??!?!? please advise

The Bengals will always lose. That rule supercedes any other.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Based on the video, it wasnt going to get overturned, its the call on the field in thise case, whatever that may be.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Its easier to convert a soccer field into a football field than vice versa since a soccer field is wider. So any rugby or soccer field would work.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

In the pro game? You can't have an NFL career if you can't reliably hit from 50-55.

Also to answer the question, the longest in history is 64. If you're in Denver with the wind at your back and have a monster leg then in theory you could probably hit from 70, but if it didn't get blocked it would probably miss anyway.

In college, the record is 69 yards. In practice there was a guy hitting from 80 yards out.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Badfinger posted:

This surprised me, because I think of Hanson as being a great kicker (and he was), but he was barely better than a coin flip on 50+ for his career (52/93). Seabass is 53/94. The difference between them and other kickers I'd put around their level is they've tried WAY more from 50+ than everyone else. There are some higher volume guys above 60%, but Gostkowski is the only tenured kicker with a REALLY good FGM%, maybe because he's only been sent out to kick 23 ever.

And the circumstances of the kick matter too. Sometimes the team is out of timeouts and has to rush the guy out to kick in lik 14 seconds. I bet if you seperated that out, those kicks have the worst percentage.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

So last nights game made me think of an interesting scenario, anyone know how this gets resolved?

Team A has the ball on Team B's 10 yard line, 1st and goal. On the previous drive, Team B kicked a FG on their first possession of OT making the score 30-33. Team A throws a ball which is intercepted by Team B. Stupidly, Team B attempts to return the interception and in doing so retreats into their own endzone where they are tackled. A safety is awarded to Team A, bring the score to 32-33. Now my question is which of the following happens:

1. Game over, Team B wins.
2. Team B must perform the free kick, with that being the final play.
3. Team B performs free kick and Team continues until the end of their drive, after which the game ends.

Option 3 seems the least likely to me, but I am curious if any rules specifically reference this kind of scenario. Is the free kick something that must be done, like on an untimed down? I feel like given the nature of the play and how it comes about it should be.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Possession has changed, but I don't know if the rules specify that in this instance the free kick must be performed since its possible for the score to change. In the case that the safety wins the game for a team, they can elect to not field the ball, because unlike a place kick, a free kick is not recoverable by the kicking team. But in this case, the safety does not win the game for the team scoring, so that is why I wonder if the free kick has to be done. As analogy, if a game is won on a TD as time expires, the extra point must be kicked even if the outcome of the game cannot be changed by making it, missing it, or having it returned for a point. I am wondering if the free kick falls under that type of rule set.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

e: nm, I'm dumb

Not talking college, but in college the inning system wipes that stuff out. That is why interceptions and fumbles that are not returned for a score do not affect the placement of the ball.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Wins is the first metric, but the next tie breaker is losses, which usually means going on to the next tie breakers, but in this case it doesn't.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

This doesn't answer any questions but I swear I remember some super old NFL highlight where a fan snuck onto the field and actually played defense on a goal line pass and no one noticed.

Deteriorata if you're still lurking this thread you might remember, I want to say it was the Jets for some reason but maybe that's not right. I'm having a hard time googling it but I know there's video somewhere.

I would love to see this today for no other reason than I have never seen a human being explode into a red mist before.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Would it be legal to go for 2 points, then do a drop kick for 1 point?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Once the ball leaves the endzone, it can not go back in and downed, otherwise its a safety.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Are the draft grades college underclassmen get from the NFL advisory board usually pretty accurate?

They aren't accurate to a specific pick, but the are pretty accurate in that they tend to be +/-1 round that they actually go. There are some things you can't account for, from injury, to poor combine or scout day performance, or your instagram getting hacked and posting videos of you smoking weed the night of the draft.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

How exactly are team sizes managed? Just looking at Washington for example they released 5 guys, got 5 more free agents and then got their draft guys at the start of this season just gone. Did they have way less than 53 people at the start of the season and are now up to 53? Or is there something else I'm missing?

The 53 man roster only has to be met by a certain date, usually a day or two after the final pre-season game. Also, keep in mind on gameday you can only dress 46 players (I think you can have 47 if one of them is a 3rd string QB who once goes in means you can no longer play QB1 or QB2). At the beginning of training camp you can have 90 players on the roster. At some time during the preseason, usually after a game or two, teams have to cut it down to 75. Then 53 before the start of the regular season. Teams are also allowed an 8 man practice squad, but there are a variety of rules governing who can be on it and for how long.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah they changed it to the spot of the kick on a missed field goal at some point, maybe at the same time they started using specific kicker balls? Sometime after 1995 or so at the least,. The NFL really has done a few things to try to make kicking harder or a harder decision for a coach and none of it has worked at all unless you're talking 60+ yards.

The only thing left is narrowing the goal posts or going to college hash marks.

I don't think they would mess with the hash-marks since that also greatly affects the rest of the game.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

On 3rd and forever, why dont defenses line up with the majority of their players on the first down line, red rover style? I saw that happen once during a college game and it was v effective

Because this is easily overcome by an obscure technique called blocking.

Or sending someone on a go route. There are literalll ten ways off the top of my head to beat that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

pangstrom posted:

The wild-but-plausible-to-me cheating rumor that used to go around was that the radios sometimes mysteriously stopped working in away games before critical plays. Maybe they're just crappy systems or were back then, though, I don't know.

Aside-on-aside here but a couple years ago Microsoft was really pushing their surface tablets on NFL sidelines, paying for commentators to say spots during games, etc. I wish I could remember the specific game but basically both teams' tablets (or their wireless network or something else) had failed and the commentators were awkwardly going through the motions of selling their amazing capabilities over shots of frustrated assistant coaches frantically ditching them for paper.

Also, the announcers would constantly call them iPads.

• Locked thread