Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
color
Feb 5, 2007

I will spell the name,
"W-I-L-F-O-R-K"

Remember it.

WombBroom posted:

Zone Coverage

The most popular Zone Coverage scheme in the past 15 or so years is the Tampa 2 or Cover 2 scheme. The two safeties stay deep, covering the down the field routes. the Cornerbacks are tasked with covering the short or intermediate routes, depending on the playcall. The Linebackers cover the middle of the field. Derrick Brooks helped define what the Weakside Linebacker does in the Tampa 2. Here's his wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Brooks

The idea of Zone Coverage is a Defensive player stands in one spot and covers their "zone". Theoretically, this will help bait the quarterback into throwing passes he thinks he can make, but the fast DBs will make a play on the ball. Also, since the Quarterback must take more time to make a decision, the Defensive Line has more time to fight through blocks and get a sack or disrupt the Quarterback.

Smaller, faster DBs are the bread and butter of Zone Coverage. Ronde Barber is a good indication of the physical type needed: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1260

I should add there are also Cover 1, Cover 3 and Cover 4 schemes which can effect things.

Please understand that this is the most basic breakdown I could do and there are numerous hybrids, exceptions and other things that must be taken into consideration from team to team, year to year, and even play to play. I hope it helps to answer your question.

When you hear an announcer talk about "Cover x" he's referring to the defense and how many "deep" defenders there are, or how many defensive backs there are whose responsibilities are to play zone coverage. Cover 2 for example refers to two deep defensive backs (usually the strongside safety and free safety) splitting the field into 2 halves and being responsible for any balls thrown toward their half of the field. Cover 1 refers to 1 defensive back playing deep covering the entire field and playing "center field", Cover 3 will usually refer to a third defensive back helping split the responsibilities of the coverage shell. In a pure coverage shell, all defensive backs and linebackers will be playing zone defense and not have a true "man" or person to guard.

When you hear an announcer talk about "nickel" and "dime" defenses or "nickelbacks" or "dimebacks" they're not talking about lovely bands or the dead guitarist of Pantera, they're referring to a modified defense, or a "package". Example: a true sure to poo poo 4-3 defense will have 4 defensivebacks with certain responsibilities. in a "Nickel" defense, one of those linebackers or defensive lineman will sub out and a 5th defensive back or the "nickelback" will come in to help cover receivers. With as much passing as there in the NCAA and NFL, these nickelbacks are often counted on to cover receivers as much as if not more than their 4-3 base counterparts. Therefore, in the modified "Nickel" package, you'll see 4 defensive lineman, 2 linebackers, and 5 defensive backs. The dime package just adds another defensive back to help cover receivers so you'll probably see 4 lineman, 1 linebacker, and 6 defensive backs.

Is there a program that helps you write up plays on line so I can draw out some sample defenses? it would also save me some time and carpal tunnel

color fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

color
Feb 5, 2007

I will spell the name,
"W-I-L-F-O-R-K"

Remember it.

WombBroom posted:

No offense, but I am a Tampa Bay fan and have been my whole life. Derrick Brooks was the weakside linebacker.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-01-10-all-decade-olbs-derrick-brooks_N.htm

I'm not aware of any programs that help you draw up defenses, but I'm trying to find a way to grab some screenshots of Madden '08 to use as teaching tools.

wow that's completely my fault my mistake who was the MLB who had a monster '02 season when you won it all?

color
Feb 5, 2007

I will spell the name,
"W-I-L-F-O-R-K"

Remember it.

Quiet Feet posted:

What exactly does it mean for a defense to have a 1-gap or 2-gap (or A-gap?) scheme? Something to do with plugging holes in the offensive line?

gaps are denoted as such
Line of Scrimmage

TE-(CGap)-Tackle-(BGap)-Guard-(AGap)-Center-(AGap)-Guard-(BGap)-Tackle-(CGap)-TE

Even numbers when you hear x-technique refer to a defensive lineman playing head up on an offensive lineman. Therefore, a 0 technique is a defensive lineman playing head up on a center, a 2 technique is head up on the guard, a 4 technique is head up on the tackle, and a 6 technique is head up on a TE. When you hear a "even number-I" technique, that means they're playing on the inside shoulder of the offensive lineman, or the shoulder closest to the center. Example: a 2-I technique is a defender playing on the inside shoulder of a guard. Odd numbered techniques are reserved for the outside shoulders of the offensive lineman, such as a 3 technique, which would be on the outside shoulder of the guard, or a 5 technique which is on the outside shoulder of the tackle.

• Locked thread