Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Because stupid nicknames for teams is dumb and shouldn't be encouraged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

axeil posted:

Michael Jordan being the most famous example. He once was up against Muggsy Bogues (who is very short), stepped back and said "shoot it you midget."

Micheal Jordan did a ton of trash talk the reporters in the 90s didn't cover.

Apparently that play ruined Bogues career. Basketball trash talk is the best. You could write books on MJ and Larry Bird

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

being voted to the pro bowl means a lot more than actually playing in it, because so many players pull out of it.

Also a lot of players have pro bowl bonuses in their contracts so there's that.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I'd imagine the proliferation of the single back set has a lot to do with this. Basically the fullback has been somewhat schemed out of the game, if you can accomplish the same thing with more blockers up front there isn't much reason to value a FB for those rare* times you'll use him.

*-this obviously changes by team. Also for whatever it's worth some of my favorite players were fullbacks, Tony Richardson and Kimble Anders were the best.

This doesn't have anything to do with current football but there was also a brief, beautiful period in the 90s where fullbacks were catching passes constantly and I miss it. Seriously like 90+ receptions/year for fullbacks. Or a fullback (Larry Centers) at least, maybe two.

Norv Turner's greatest crime was phasing Lorenzo Neal out of the offense in San Diego. Let's all remember the era of Tony Richardson, Mack Strong, and Lorenzo Neal

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Phoneposting, so I don't have much detail, but this is a good place to start.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_family_relations_in_American_football

The Matthews family in particular is staggering. So much talent, and they still have more future NFL players coming. Someone post the pic of the 8th grade Matthews member who is bigger than his lineman brother, please.

Apparently Marshawn Lynch and Jamarcus Russell are cousins.

:stare:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

How does this work?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Hughes#Death
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Lions#Retired_numbers

#85 Chuck Hughes

Is a number supposed to be retired only for players of that position?

When did they retire 85?

If they retired it after Ebon had it, they won't make him change his number. Kinda like Mariano Rivera and #42

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

El Seano posted:

Thanks for this, I'm going to watch it tomorrow night. It's crazy just how shady the whole thing can be yet it's essentially the most popular form of sport in America. The two documentaries about the university of Miami really drove that home.

Anyway I'm on a limb here but I'm watching the Kansas City season of Hard Knocks and saw this:

What does the "NFL:" text mean on the bottom right? I know this is probably a tough one to answer since it is probably only relevant to that particular coaching staff but I was wondering either way.

I believe it's years in the NFL. 11 years for Huard at that point, 2 for Croyle

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Herm was...not a particularly good NFL head coach, his high water mark was a couple of 10-6 seasons in five years with the Jets and he was terrible in KC. He didn't have much of a roster so take that into account, but he did as little as possible with what he did have.

He is likeable despite that, a lot of us want him to go coach in college because we think he would absolutely tear it up on recruiting trail and in college ball you can just out-talent the other guys and succeed even if you make terrible decisions all the time.

please come back to SDSU herm

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

RG3 was really good his rookie year because he played to his strengths. Then he decided he wanted to be a pocket passer and now he sucks really hard. The field he plays on his horrible, he is made of balsa wood, and is incapable of falling down like a normal human.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Also the NFL roster is 53, but only 46 can be suited up on game day

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chamale posted:

In the last play of the Broncos-Raiders game, the Raiders tried to run a punt 99 yards back for a winning touchdown. My roommate says it would have been smarter to take a fair catch and then try to throw a Hail Mary touchdown. Is he right? What's the chance of a successful 99-yard punt return versus a 99-yard pass?

Against the Denver defense? Stick with the punt.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Has any RB been flagged for dropping his head and leading with the crown of the helmet yet? They put in that rule recently and I saw Carlos Hyde do it last night

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's an nfl only rule

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

El Seano posted:

So this is my first off-season since I started following the Giants/NFL and Jesus god I thought the NBA off-season was long. I must have read 20 different mock drafts, none of which seem to have the same player twice. It's to the point I wish the loving draft would just happen already and even then we've got another 3 months of waiting. A few questions:

1. Is there anything to look forward to in the gap between draft and pre-season?

2. Could anyone with some knowledge of the Giants tell me how they don't take a wide receiver at no.10? As it stands they have a receivers corp of Beckham and...I literally couldn't tell you another receiver but I doubt they played many meaningful snaps last season. I'm always somewhat dumbfounded that we get mocked tackles or even an RB in some mock drafts when we cannot feasibly need those players more than we would need a receiver now? If I'm being naive here I'd like to know cause I just don't get the logic.

3. Is this a particularly strong or weak draft as drafts go?

4. In terms of drafts should I give too much of a gently caress once they get past the 4th round? I mean I'm yet to see a mock draft that goes past the 4th which I'm taking as a sign nobody really cares.

5. It seems a pretty tough thing to watch also. The NBA draft is done in a night (well the meaningful part in a few hours) but the NFL draft goes on for three days? Do you guys watch the whole thing or just watch who your team selects?

1. No. Enjoy the NBA and NHL playoffs and then subject yourself to baseball.

2. The Giants offense was not the problem last year.

3. Strong for defensive linemen

4. Anything past the 5th round is usually camp fodder, but every team has a few (maybe more) late round picks or UDFAs that become awesome.

5. The draft owns. Watch all of it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I'd trade King Dunlap for a healthy Nick Hardwick in a loving second

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

El Seano posted:

So this is my 2nd season watching the NFL and my first pre-season. How much of the starters will I see in these pre-season games, if any? For example (I'm a Giants fan) will they start with Eli and the rest of the eventual starters playing the first quarter then sub out everybody for the rookies and camp bodies or will it just be rookies and camp bodies start to finish?

Rule of thumb:

1st preseason game: Starters will usually get either a series or won't play at all, especially superstars that the coaches don't want getting hit (LaDainian Tomlinson didn't play in the preseason at all for like 7 years)
2nd preseason game: Starters will usually get a few series, into the second quarter.
3rd preseason game: Dress rehearsal for the regular season. Starters mostly play the first half, some even into the 3rd quarter
4th preseason game: Most starters won't play at all, last chance for fringe guys to show what they can do

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

fronkpies posted:

Can someone explain (maybe with video examples?) why clock management and proper time out usage can effect a game? I don't FULLY get why its so important.

Like in the panthers game they used their last time out with a minute to go and the commentators where acting like it was the worst thing to happen.

Because the clock doesn't stop after a completed catch. Timeouts can help you get the right play in, stop the clock from running out after a long pass (see Cowboys yesterday) or get your field goal team out onto the field

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Qualcomm is a dump and Petco Park is beautiful

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

El Seano posted:

Also how the gently caress did the Pats win 11 games and still not make the playoffs? Surely there cannot be many more examples of winning double digit games and not making the playoffs?

The Chargers got in at 8-8 that year and people got real mad and New England fans started demanding that Division winners not get an auto berth in the playoffs

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Chargers do a free mammogram thing every October and it's a Good Thing

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Windmill Hut posted:

What is the rationale behind Divisions > Overall Standings in each conference, for the playoffs? The Texans currently being seeded higher than the Raiders despite having won 3 less games just seems so odd.

I tried google but couldn't really find the article i was looking for, and thought someone could explain it here (if there is even any good reason for it at all).

A division winner has always historically hosted a playoff game. There's no other rationale.

I'd be in favor of still giving division winners guaranteed playoff spots, but ordering them based on overall record once they're in the playoffs.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

venutolo posted:

Off the top of my head, I guess I'd go with AJ Bouye, Aqib Talib, Chris Harris, Jalen Ramsey, Malcolm Butler, Xavier Rhodes, Marcus Peters? (Obviously this is all subjective.)

Casey Hayward

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Justin Tucker, then there's a huge gap. Dan Bailey maybe?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

In 2012 every Green Bay fan was out for Mason Crosby's blood when he hit something like 60% of his field goals. Since then he's been hitting at about an 87% rate. Mike Vanderjagt is remembered for Peyton Manning's 'idiot kicker who got liquored up and ran his mouth off' quote, and if you remember him for more than that it's probably for missing a big kick in a playoff game. But he's the 5th most accurate kicker to ever play the game.

Bailey's pretty close to Tucker, and yeah those are the two I was thinking of.

Kickers also get the yips frequently and nosedive. Nate Kaeding is a prime example

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

At 60+ yards teams will often punt, even if they are desperate for points late in the game, to try and play the field position battle. They like their odds at forcing a 3 and out and playing the field position game more than their odds of kicking a field goal of equal length to one a dude with half a foot kicked 40 years ago.

Below sea level, no less

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

El Seano posted:

Hang on, Kicker Balls?

They sub out the football for more kick friendly ball for field goals? I honestly thought it was just the same ball they throw, catch and run with.

Nope, there are special K balls that are only used for kicking.

Speaking of, do punters punt normal balls or K balls?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Things might be different now since the Broncos suck, but a few years ago I paid twice as much for seats that were half as good as what I've seen at other stadiums for tickets to Raiders/Broncos at mile high. Seats are really in demand, and if you buy last minute, you may end up making the trip just to end up in poo poo seats where you can't see anything. Especially so if you try to go for a primetime or division game. You're safe to book travel, but when tickets go on sale, I'd see what your options are asap. Also keep in mind that if you go later in the season, it's going to be cold. as. gently caress.

Denver never really SUCKS sucks for an extended period so seats are always going to be expensive.

gently caress the Broncos

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

WampaLord posted:

As a lifelong Bucs fan, you couldn't have picked a better year, other than 2002, obviously.

We've made a ton of great offseason moves, hopefully Jameis finally matures into his final "franchise QB" form, and he has all the weapons to throw to. Evans, DJax, Brate, OJ Howard, etc.

The defense looks excellent, maybe as good as our Superbowl defense at times. Granted, we've only played one game, but I am fully bought into the Bucs doing extremely well this year. Wildcard for sure, and if we can beat Atlanta, maybe we even take the South.

you played the bears

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I'm triggered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

How does compensation work during the playoffs? Does every player get a certain amount per game depending on what round they lose in?

• Locked thread