Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Yahoo Sports has really good commentary and a pretty funny blog, that's where I go for all my NFL news usually - NFL.Yahoo.com. They've signed a few big writers, including a former Sports Illustrated guy (Mike Silver) who's just about the only NFL writer I read consistently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Playing Madden is really good for reads, especially if you play with someone who knows what they're doing. I taught my roommate how to read a defense one afternoon. It's advanced stuff, though, and it brings in all the knowledge of defensive and offensive formations.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

pasaluki posted:

USAfootball.com has some good information about football fundamentals.

Also I wish I could recommend the Bills to some of you guys but they probably are going to be bad again this year and have added sadness and misery to my life.

However like the Browns/Lions they have a good fanbase and are the quintessential underdogs.

Probably going to be bad? They have no starting QB or LT, and their defense is a shambles. Their only good player is their rookie RB. Their coach sucks and is old. The Bills are going to get slaughtered.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

That is a pretty hardcore injury to play through if that's true. Maybe AP has it too.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

He was the starter 2 years ago and he blew, but he's a lot better with Rice in front of him. Solid pickup.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I had him on my fantasy team in 2008, I forgot he was injured pretty much the whole season. My bad.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

He launched at him with his shoulder, and McGahee juked the wrong way. IT was an awkward hit, could've happened to anyone.

All y'all babies better keep your helmet strapped on tight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyNy-TkDGB0 100% legal. Actually, I think that's the hardest hit I've ever seen in a game.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I think it was because his dad was a coach in San Francisco and was loved by the fans and always wore a suit, so Nolan was trying to honor him or something and the fans loved it until they realized that Mike Nolan is terrible

IIRC Nolan wore a suit the first time after his father died. The league said he couldn't, and he calmly explained how they'd look to the fans if he wasn't allowed to honour his dad. So they let him and he kept doing it.

I think it's stupid that they can't. Hank Stram would never stand for this hoodie poo poo.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Don't know, but if I had to guess it would be due to the lack of visibility. Those stadiums would be designed for soccer, which involves fewer players. I would imagine that having 40 or 50 players standing next to the field all game long would leave the bottom few rows without much to look at.

For shame. What do you think Canadians are, Eurotrash? It's because the stadium is mostly used for baseball, and those seats aren't modular - I think in some other stadiums they can be taken away, but we just cover 'em up. It's the same way for the CFL, even though the stadium was designed with the CFL in mind.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I read the defense
Read the defense
Read the defense
Read the defense

If I'm watching a Steelers game, I watch the defense pre-snap to see what kooky formation they're running, and I look at the matchups for the receivers. Then when the ball is snapped I watch the linebackers to see what they're doing, then the ball. And all of it at once, really.

On offense I watch Big Ben and scream "THROW THE BALL!" if he doesn't get it out of his hand within 4 seconds. I yell that a lot.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

5 of the 7 on the line of scrimmage are the O-line, and neither tackle can be uncovered IIRC. That means that there has to be a receiver (either a tight end or wide receiver) on the LOS between the tackle and the sideline.

Legal:
--W------TCGCTE-----
W----------QB------W

Illegal:
--------TCGCTE---W-
W---------QB------W

because the LT is uncovered on the line of scrimmage. I don't know why it's a rule, just that it is one. Also, tackles have to have their head between the shoulder pads and butt of the center, or else it's a penalty. It rarely gets called, though, unless your o-line is lovely (like Pittsburgh).

e: vvvv yeah, that's it.

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 6, 2010

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

You can tell by watching them. There really aren't that many routes in the NFL, there's like what, 11? 15? They have different names on different teams, but it's pretty basic stuff.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Wait, so the zone blocking was for the big guys? That's wrong. I think the reason it became popular was that no one was doing it - that is, teams weren't preparing for it, they were preparing for mauling each other up front. Zone blocking is run with those smaller, more agile guards, and I'm sure it exploits a big, fat defense that's set up to stop a power game.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

OperaMouse posted:

How many plays, audibles, and coaching signals are players supposed to know?
Does it depend on the position?
What exactly does the QB say just before the play: just some code words, or the full plan?
How often do codes and audibles change?
How often does a playbook change and the plays a player is supposed to know?
If they do, is it to adapt to the opponent, or is to prevent "espionage"?

This depends a lot on the scheme, the coach, and the players. There are some basics across the league, but everything is determined by personnel.

Example: The West Coast offense (short passing, timing routes, efficiency) is full of crazy jargon that changes depending on the situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZC_eGHB1jA

But for others, who don't have the football mind of Matt Hasselbeck, there is a much more limited playbook with simpler calls and audibles. For a rookie, there might be two or three different audibles at the line of scrimmage based on the defensive alignment, but for a more advanced QB they can change much of, if not the entire, play.

And it definitely depends on the position. WRs will usually just listen for their instructions and whether it's a run - sometimes you'll see them leave the huddle before the other guys - and the offensive line needs to pay attention to both the call and the protection audibles that are given out by the centre once they're lined up (when he points at the defense and stuff).

I feel like I'm not explaining this very well.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I think in part it's because the level of play is much lower in college. Some of the rules make the game easier - one foot in-bounds on a catch, clock stoppage after 1st downs - and make it more fun to watch/play. They evolved differently, and the rules have adapted to suit the players.

That's my hypothesis, at least.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

2001 has, I think, 25 players out an an 83-man roster who were drafted. And Ken Dorsey.

Imagine if their quarterback didn't suck completely? 4 titles, at least

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Frank Gore was their 3rd RB and Kick Returner.

FRANK GORE

That team was completely ridiculous. The only team they didn't blow out/rear end-stomp was the Vick-led Hokies. I wish I'd been more into college football at the time.

Their two safeties were Ed Reed and Sean Taylor. Their MLBs were Johnathan Vilma and DJ Williams. Their kick returned was Andre Johnson! Goddamn. Can you get season recaps on DVD or something? I'd love to see them whip some rear end.

e: Not only did they have a ton of NFL players, most of them are still in the league.

2e: hahaha sorry, they stomped everyone except Virginia Tech and...the Brian St. Pierre-led Boston College! BSP 4 lyfe.

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 22, 2010

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

They're widely considered the best team of all time, and it would be unanimous if their QB was any good.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

But college football wasn't any where near as developed as it is now until the 1970s at least.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Pro football wasn't very sophisticated back then, either. One of Vince Lombardi's major innovations at Green Bay was the pulling guard on the end sweep, featuring Jerry Kramer. Kramer was also the place kicker, to give you an idea of the degree of specialization.

I understand this, but the training and organization of college football was also at a much reduced level. It wasn't a farm system in the same way it is now, guys weren't preparing for the pro game or anything.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

CFL fields are 65 yards wide. Honestly, I like American football more, but it takes getting used to after the wide-open passing of the CFL.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

How much is the Steelers Super Bowl XLIII ball I got with my SI subscription worth?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I know, that's why I got the subscription.

It has signatures - printed on it.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Is it also a phone?

This could be important, because then it would be a fun relic of an earlier time.

I wish to god that it was. I told my roommate it was and he thought I was serious, he was so disappointed when I opened the package.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

He's like if you took the height, speed, and hands of the best receivers and put them together in one. His measurables are off the charts and on a good team he would be shredding the record books for #2 all-time. I firmly believe this.

When he did the weigh-in at the combine, his freaking muscles had muscles. Deion Sanders says he told his wife to turn off the tv.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Also, one thing people forget about Calvin Johnson is that his size and speed make no sense. Like none at all.

At the combine, he ran a 4.35 40, did an 11'07" broad jump(!!!!!), and had a 42.5" vertical. Those are incredible results for any wide receiver, let alone one who's 6'5".

But even that's not the insane part. He did all of that at 239 lbs, which is incredibly heavy for a wide receiver with his speed - before the weigh-in, people thought he was around 225.

To put it in perspective, CJ has 2 inches and 15 pounds on Andre "Best WR in the NFL" Johnson, with a faster 40, 7 more inches in the broad jump, and 1 more inch in vertical jumping ability.

Calvin Johnson is a FREAK

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I like Yahoo! Sports (nfl.yahoo.com) but they got some new writers this year and I haven't been reading as much as in past years. Mike Silver is really good, at least, and he's funny as hell sometimes.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Yes. And the Stadium is subtly different when each team plays, they like switch the lights and stuff. I don't know what happens when they play each other, though.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Is the New York stadium in Jersey because of taxes, or something? I never realized until I lived there, but it's really far from NY proper. They couldn't put it in Westchester or something? Wasn't it in Queens before?

e: Oh yeah, Shea Stadium is totally in Queens. But what's the story?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Oh right, Albany. I forgot. gently caress those guys and girls collectively.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

For RBs, 330 carrier is a big season and 400+ will run them into the ground. See: mid-2000s KC Chiefs

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Dominion posted:

To me, possession receiver is a guy who doesn't really have the speed to get separation deep, but who has extremely reliable hands and can catch in traffic.

So that would make Anquan Boldin or Hines Ward the prototypical possession receiver. No one is afraid of those guys burning your cornerback in a straight line, but if you throw the ball to Boldin on a 6-yard in across the middle, he will loving catch it or die trying.

Boldin broke his motherfucking jaw on a pass over the middle. That is a possession receiver.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Also, some quarterbacks are good enough to audible out of a play at the line into a new one, some younger qbs just get a few audibles or even two plays to call in the huddle (this is all depending on the defense).

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

That's why I hate this new ever-touchdown-review rule. There's human error in sports, that's why we have the challenge flag. They should've let you keep a challenge if you get one correct, and left it at that. Now they just slow down the game

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Take a look at Ben Roethlisberger :smug:

No, it's a collection of things. Footwork and mechanics, honestly just Googling it and trying to watch for things in real games. There are a lot of guides out there for young quarterbacks and coaches that teach good fundamentals. It's amazing how some guys (Cam Newton) can make it to the NFL level with sub-par fundamentals, they just make it because they're freakish athletes.

Oh poo poo, here's an awesome thing I found just googling, it's Tom Brady's mechanics broken down by his QB coach: http://www.boston.com/sports/special/patriots/playoffs2006/brady_throw/ Look at how he ends up, and his body positioning. That's pure quarterbacking, you know it when you see it.

And here's a breakdown (by some rear end in a top hat on youtube, but hey) about Cam Newton's throwing motion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRlU2kKNwmA

You can see the difference, even without the breakdown. Just look at the way Newton's feet set and his weight transfer in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smg9bVtgv5I

Look at the throw at 1:25. That's some lovely footwork right there. For reference, just check out any Tom Brady clip. e: oof, look at 2:00. That's brutal

That's not even starting on reading a defense and audibles, which separates the greatest quarterbacks from the rest. And some quarterbacks can be deficient in some ways and make up for it in others - Mike Vick still has problems reading a defense, and Ben Roethlisberger holds onto the ball way too long. But Vick makes up for it by being the best broken-play QB ever, and Roethlisberger is absolutely retarded good at throwing under pressure

e: Oh, and another thing. You'll notice that every Tom Brady touchdown looks the same - he almost always throws with a similar motion. It's like a boxer's punch: once you do it right, it's hard to do it wrong. With worse quarterbacks, you'll see them throwing all sorts of different ways. Brady looks almost the same every time (at least in his footwork and fundamentals).

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 21, 2011

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I think it also has to do with the shift in emphasis on offense away from the run (and I-formation in general) towards more passing-oriented gameplans. Why have a fullback when you can have a big TE who can catch a pass?

I guess that doesn't really answer your question, maybe a better question is why lead blocking is going out of style. I know the Steelers tend to use more pulling guards than your standard madden FB sets.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Mark Ingram is the former Heisman Trophy winning running back for the University of Alabama, and was the first round pick of the New Orleans Saints last April. It's always a gamble to take a rookie, but most people seem to like what Ingram brings to the table.

And don't forget his father is in prison.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Brady's just getting a little lazy in his footwork - ideally, you want to have your feet alternating, but sometimes you just gently caress up the rhythm and do both at once. It's the same in boxing, when you get lazy you'll start bouncing and then you're hosed.

It's easier to move while moving. Throw a punch standing still, and then move around and throw again. You'll be faster. Brady's doing the same thing, keeping his feet moving so he can avoid the pressure if he needs to and keeping his muscles ready to plant for a throw (that's a stupdi way to say that but you know what I mean).

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

quote:

Redshirt is a term used in American college athletics that refers to a delay or suspension of an athlete's participation in order to lengthen his or her period of eligibility. Typically, a student's athletic eligibility in a given sport is four seasons, a number derived from the four years of academic classes that are normally required to obtain a bachelor's degree at an American college or university. However, a student-athlete may be offered the opportunity to redshirt for one year, which allows the athlete to spread those four years of eligibility over five years. In a redshirt year, a student athlete may attend classes at the college or university, practice with an athletic team, and dress for play but he or she may not compete during the game. Using this mechanism, a student athlete has up to five academic years to use the four years of eligibility, thus creating the concept of the "fifth-year senior."

So a true freshman is someone playing their first year of eligibility in their first year of university, as opposed to someone who was redshirted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

QBR is really stupid though, it comes up with some bullshit like Matt Ryan being a similar quarterback to Philip Rivers. Also they said Kerry Collins' performance last year was statistically similar to that of Ben Roethlisberger. gently caress QBR.

e: crosspostin'

Jethro posted:

I think QBR was best described as what would happen if the Football Outsiders had dozens of unpaid interns but also a lot less integrity.

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 19, 2011

• Locked thread